ADVERTISEMENT

Great songs that people don't know about...

Here is one more that I love. People must know about it because it has been covered by half the musical world, including by Red Molly who admit to taking their band name from this song. However, I have never seen it referenced anywhere but on YouTube and on my personal playlist. No one I know seems to have ever heard it:

1952 Wincent Black Lightning:

Here is the "Red Molly" version:

"First we get some surgery...
Lose the kids, then our identities.
One thing I know for a fact:
Mustache stays right where it's at"

"The foolish red-headed step-child, quite the precocious babe.
We like to keep it on the D.L.
Because our clientele prefers it that way"

Last edited:
They actually do make country n western songs like they used to. I’ll Go Back to Denver (and you can go to hell) is hilarious and a great song.

Lyrics in this song are just phenomenal...

"Those little demons ain't the reasons
For the bruises on your soul, you've been neglecting
You'll never lose you're mind
As long as you're heart always reminds you
Where you left it"

I've always like the Mike Cooley Truckers over the Jason Isbell Truckers. And that surprises me a little. One of the most underappreciated bands of the last 20 years.

Here is one more that I love. People must know about it because it has been covered by half the musical world, including by Red Molly who admit to taking their band name from this song. However, I have never seen it referenced anywhere but on YouTube and on my personal playlist. No one I know seems to have ever heard it:

My dad is a huge fan of Vincent motorcycles. He never had one, of course, as they were ridiculously expensive and rare, but he had Harleys and BSAs. We were driving to New York one summer when I was a young to see my grandparents and a man passed us on the highway with a trailer that had two Vincents on it. My dad lost his shit over that. Waves, thumbs up and smiles. It was great. 👍🏻

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I've always like the Mike Cooley Truckers over the Jason Isbell Truckers. And that surprises me a little. One of the most underappreciated bands of the last 20 years.

They have a lyric in one of their songs that says “while chicken wing puke eats the candle apple red off his Corvette.” Cracked me up when I heard that.

Reckless Kelly did, imo, one of the best versions of this song. Great tune played by many as you mentioned.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
I think this one is about isolation and loneliness in the presence of company, and futility but IDK for sure:

First video is two songs but I can't find a live version of the first one "Age Difference" which is one of two I want to share. If you have ever enjoyed Elliott Smith, the second video is the album version of an unapologetic Elliott Smith rip off. Both from this 2022 record called Quitters. Check out all of Quitters if you like these because it's a great album for an hour long car drive.

"Great" is probably overstating this but I like a few tunes from these Twin Cities ska/reggae bands my buddy liked. I liked one of the bands best. Played this CD a lot on West Lake which he basically grew up on since his mother inherited a place there.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT