ADVERTISEMENT

Gretchen Carlson files sexual harassment lawsuit against Fox News CEO Roger Ailes

gusto79

HR Legend
Sep 11, 2002
http://www.politico.com/blogs/on-me...roger-ailes-alleging-sexual-harassment-225162

Gretchen Carlson files sexual harassment lawsuit against Fox News CEO Roger Ailes
By Hadas Gold

07/06/16 11:32 AM EDT

One of Fox News Channel's top anchors has filed a lawsuit against her former boss, Fox News CEO Roger Ailes, alleging wrongful termination and sexual harassment.

The news came in a bombshell email sent to reporters on Wednesday afternoon by the law firm representing Carlson, the host of “The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson” and former co-host of the morning show "Fox & Friends."

According to the lawyers at Smith Mullin P.C., who are representing Carlson, her contract was terminated on June 23. Fox News did not publicly announce the contract termination, and Carlson said on her Twitter account at the time that she was on “on vacation”.

"I have strived to empower women and girls throughout my entire career,” Carlson said in a statement. “Although this was a difficult step to take, I had to stand up for myself and speak out for all women and the next generation of women in the workplace. I am extremely proud of my accomplishments at Fox News and for keeping our loyal viewers engaged and informed on events and news topics of the day.”

POLITICO has reached out to Fox News for comment, and will update this story when we hear more.

The complaint was filed in the Superior Court of New Jersey and claims Ailes made “sexually-charged comments” to Carlson, "ranging from lewd innuendo, ogling and remarks about Ms. Carlson’s body to demands for sex as a way for her to improve her job standing."

“[D]uring a meeting last September in which Ms. Carlson complained about ongoing discriminatory and retaliatory treatment, Mr. Ailes stated, "I think you and I should have had a sexual relationship a long time ago and then you’d be good and better and I’d be good and better," adding that "sometimes problems are easier to solve' that way,” according to Carlson’s lawyers.

On other occasions, the complaint alleges Ailes asked Carlson to "turn around so he could view her posterior, commented repeatedly about her legs, and instructed her to wear certain outfits that he claimed enhanced her figure.” Ailes also allegedly “directed sexist comments” about Carlson in public and announced to others at a industry event that “he had slept with three former Miss Americas, but not with her.”

The complaint goes on to allege that Carlson was fired from “Fox & Friends” in 2013 because she complained about co-host Steve Doocy’s actions. Ailes, the complaint alleges, mocked Carlson and told her to stop being offended “so God damned easy.” Though she was moved to host her own show in the afternoon hour, the complaint alleges that the move was a demotion and that Ailes “reduced her compensation and withheld network support and promotion for her show.”

"We believe that the evidence will confirm that Gretchen was fired from ‘Fox & Friends’ for speaking up about demeaning and discriminatory behavior on and off the set,” Nancy Erika Smith, employment litigator at Smith Mullin P.C., who is representing Carlson, said in a statement.

Though the complaint was filed against Ailes, Doocy is also cited for alleged sexual harassment.

"Doocy engaged in a pattern and practice of severe and pervasive sexual harassment of Carlson, including, but no limited to, mocking her during commercial breaks, shunning her off air, refusing to engage with her on air, belittling her contributions to the show, and generally attempting to put her in her place by refusing to accept and treat her as an intelligent and insightful journalist rather than a blond (sic) female prop," the complaint alleges.

“We believe that Mr. Ailes’ behavior toward Gretchen, as described in the complaint, speaks volumes about what she had to endure. The evidence will show that Ailes deliberately sabotaged the career of a talented, hard-working journalist and loyal Fox News employee. Opposing sexism and rejecting unwanted sexual come-ons should never cost a woman her job or subject her to disparagement and emotional anguish,” said Martin Hyman, a partner in the New York firm Golenbock Eiseman Assor Bell & Peskoe LLP, who, is co-counsel for Carlson.

The complaint seeks compensatory damages, damages for mental anguish, and punitive damages.

Reactions: BrianNole09
Good for her.

Ailes is a Republican. And he looks like a creeper. It's just so obvious he sexual harasses women.

I hope he gets exactly what he deserves.

Reactions: PCBHAWK
Yikes!

She has always been very credible with me ... and Ailes less so, so this will be interesting.

I am curious who the three "Miss Americas" are however. I am sure some enterprising journalists can get together a list of possibles.

Reactions: BrianNole09
gretchen_carlson_misc_screencaps8_mO1KILiU.sized

I like Ms Carlson and I tend to believe her story. Doocy has mistreated her on air. She likes to show a lot of cleavage and I have wondered if she was required to do so by her bosses. I hope O Reilly is next. I cannot stand the way he demeans women on air.

I like Ms Carlson and I tend to believe her story. Doocy has mistreated her on air. She likes to show a lot of cleavage and I have wondered if she was required to do so by her bosses. I hope O Reilly is next. I cannot stand the way he demeans women on air.

you are joking, right?

A little balance for the thread.

Former “Fox & Friends” co-host is suing Fox News Channel chief for “severe and pervasive” sexual harassment

Gretchen Carlson may be suing her former boss for sexual harassment, but last year she wrote a book in which she called Roger Ailes “brilliant.”

The 50-year-old former co-host of “Fox & Friends” filed suit Wednesday against Fox News Channel boss Ailes, claiming he “sabotaged her career because she refused his sexual advances and complained about severe and pervasive sexual harassment.”

In a statement, Ailes called the charges false and said the suit was in retaliation for the network’s decision not to renew Carlson’s program “The Real Story.”

Also Read: Roger Ailes Rips Gretchen Carlson's Sexual Harassment Suit

Fox News parent company 21st Century Fox has said that it is conducting an internal review of Carlson’s charges.

But it’s clear that her allegations against Ailes are quite different than the portrait she painted of him in her 2015 book, “Getting Real.” There, the former Miss America described the one-time adviser to Richard Nixon as “brilliant” and a key reason she decided to leave her former employer, CBS.

“I thought Ailes was brilliant,” she wrote. “He was the first person in the television world to put opinion shows in prime time and it was working.”

Also Read: Gretchen Carlson's 5 Most Shocking Allegations in Roger Ailes Sexual Harassment Suit

“In person, Roger was razor sharp and inscrutable and we seemed to have a real connection,” Carlson added. “He saw something in me that he liked — what he called my ‘killer instinct.’ He once noted that I would stop at nothing to do the job. He got me. Over the years I’ve come to value our time together. He encourages me to be myself, to relax and to not try so hard to look smart. ‘People know you’re smart,’ he says.”

A representative for Carlson could not immediately provide a comment on the passages praising Ailes.

A little balance for the thread.

Former “Fox & Friends” co-host is suing Fox News Channel chief for “severe and pervasive” sexual harassment

Gretchen Carlson may be suing her former boss for sexual harassment, but last year she wrote a book in which she called Roger Ailes “brilliant.”

The 50-year-old former co-host of “Fox & Friends” filed suit Wednesday against Fox News Channel boss Ailes, claiming he “sabotaged her career because she refused his sexual advances and complained about severe and pervasive sexual harassment.”

In a statement, Ailes called the charges false and said the suit was in retaliation for the network’s decision not to renew Carlson’s program “The Real Story.”

Also Read: Roger Ailes Rips Gretchen Carlson's Sexual Harassment Suit

Fox News parent company 21st Century Fox has said that it is conducting an internal review of Carlson’s charges.

But it’s clear that her allegations against Ailes are quite different than the portrait she painted of him in her 2015 book, “Getting Real.” There, the former Miss America described the one-time adviser to Richard Nixon as “brilliant” and a key reason she decided to leave her former employer, CBS.

“I thought Ailes was brilliant,” she wrote. “He was the first person in the television world to put opinion shows in prime time and it was working.”

Also Read: Gretchen Carlson's 5 Most Shocking Allegations in Roger Ailes Sexual Harassment Suit

“In person, Roger was razor sharp and inscrutable and we seemed to have a real connection,” Carlson added. “He saw something in me that he liked — what he called my ‘killer instinct.’ He once noted that I would stop at nothing to do the job. He got me. Over the years I’ve come to value our time together. He encourages me to be myself, to relax and to not try so hard to look smart. ‘People know you’re smart,’ he says.”

A representative for Carlson could not immediately provide a comment on the passages praising Ailes.

Again money will make this magically disappear just like another sexual harassment suit at the network.

The lawsuit settled over O'Reilly may provide a template for settling Carlson's suit against Ailes. Is the culture rotten at the top of Fox?

Effective immediately: you all need a timeout from the internetz. Why?
2763cc244f6e4e5365255b1523f0dcdf.jpg
gretchen_carlson_smile_oB33mP8.sized_.jpg

You know why. :)

You don't have to intend to harass in order to be guilty of sexual harassment. Plenty of clueless men have been taken down on such charges.

Doocy must have pictures...how else could that DB keep a morning host job on a network. He should have the weekend weather job in the Abilene market...

The lawsuit settled over O'Reilly may provide a template for settling Carlson's suit against Ailes. Is the culture rotten at the top of Fox?
I wonder. It can't be coincidence they mostly employ beautiful blonde bombshells as their news anchors.

Doocy must have pictures...how else could that DB keep a morning host job on a network. He should have the weekend weather job in the Abilene market...
He is close friends with Ailes.

I wonder. It can't be coincidence they mostly employ beautiful blonde bombshells as their news anchors.
Well, we will see if this makes it to court. The stuff coming out today is pretty damning. 3 more women came to the Daily Beast requesting anonymity because they work in the industry still. All of them stated that Ailes exhibited similar behavior towards them that Carlson claims.
There was a piece I saw yesterday quoting someone saying that Ailes once told them when hiring a female he always asked himself if he would have sex with her. When Ailes talked about hiring men he said is this a guy I could sit at a ball game, drink a beer, and not be tired of by the end of the game.
I think Fox is hoping Ailes dies. He is in bad health and would be 78 or so by the time this thing would get to a trial.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT