ADVERTISEMENT

Guess which 3 states are decreasing in population the most?

Curious why you think the population is exploding. I think it’s warm weather. Some may say it’s the political environment of these states. The author of your posted article disagrees.

"Although it may seem surprising, Poston noted that political climates in each state don't play a huge role in population shifts."

Reactions: BrianNole777
These numbers are calculated from April 2020, as the COVID-19 pandemic started. Census data from last year reported that population trends had returned to pre-pandemic norms. This is because the numbers of yearly deaths decreased throughout 2022, while migration reverted to patterns seen before 2020.
"Texas and Florida and Arizona, and also California, profited greatly from population growth via international migration. People too often overlook the major contributor to population growth via international migration," Poston said.

If you read your link, it's due mainly to "international migration" and the researcher refers to "migrant labor".
I did read it.

Funny how you stopped reading after that. Had you continued, you would have read this:

Some states grew, others declined, for many of the same reasons," Poston said. "Here are the main reasons people move: people move from one state to another for jobs, lower cost of housing, lower state taxes, better levels of living. Here Texas and Florida have all the benefits, and California and New York don't."

I did read it.

Funny how you stopped reading after that. Had you continued, you would have read this:

Some states grew, others declined, for many of the same reasons," Poston said. "Here are the main reasons people move: people move from one state to another for jobs, lower cost of housing, lower state taxes, better levels of living. Here Texas and Florida have all the benefits, and California and New York don't."
Lower costs of housing is the key element here.

But as companies decide they don't want to do business in certain states, because people who want to have normal pre-natal healthcare, that's going to stem the tide... Several have already publicly taken that position.

But as companies decide they don't want to do business in certain states, because people who want to have normal pre-natal healthcare, that's going to stem the tide... Several have already publicly taken that position.
As well as various state tax structures playing a part too. Illinois and New York have higher taxes than states like Florida and Tennessee. Heck, I moved from MN to Iowa a few years ago and while not the primary reason…state taxes did factor in.

And taxes, among other things.

But I know you can’t admit that the most liberal states are the least attractive ones.

Curious why you think the population is exploding. I think it’s warm weather. Some may say it’s the political environment of these states. The author of your posted article disagrees.

"Although it may seem surprising, Poston noted that political climates in each state don't play a huge role in population shifts."
Yeah, people aren’t leaving California because of the weather.

And FL is now struggling to keep insurers in the state, because there's no program funded by taxes to help stabilize their insurance system...

Meanwhile, Iowa is turning into an environmental mess with new CAFOs and destroyed watersheds. Along with state parks that are going to crap, all because "low taxes!!!"

But I know you can’t admit that the most liberal states are the least attractive ones.
Are they? Here in the Midwest, the “liberal” states of Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois seem to be putting a long ok…..There seems to be a “quality of life: factor that enters in to this equation, too…..What do Minnesota, Wisconsin and Illinois have that Iowa lacks? Plus, Iowa’s legislation the past decade has not been very friendly to “newcomers”……

Without looking I'm gonna say California, new york and Washington in that order. They're gonna try and make up those losses with illegals I'm sure.

As well as various state tax structures playing a part too. Illinois and New York have higher taxes than states like Florida and Tennessee. Heck, I moved from MN to Iowa a few years ago and while not the primary reason…state taxes did factor in.
Until reynolds fixed iowa it’s taxes were higher than mn.
Just sayin.

Illinois is not a high tax state.
It's not?

most-taxed-state-5.png

4.95% income tax is in the middle. If you live in cook county your taxes are high, most places are right in the middle. This chart isn’t very reliable for someone living in a suburban collar county
Issue with some of these states is unfunded pensions and deficits.
Shit will hit the fan soon.
Wall street covered some of this issues previously.

Reactions: goldmom
I did read it.

Florida ain’t cheap. Unless you don’t mind living in the middle 1/3 of the state with all the trumpturds and rednecks🤷‍♂️

Florida ain’t cheap. Unless you don’t mind living in the middle 1/3 of the state with all the trumpturds and rednecks🤷‍♂️
No, I’m sure it’s not cheap.

But I’m sure New York isn’t cheap either.

At least Floridians aren’t paying state income taxes.

No, I’m sure it’s not cheap.

But I’m sure New York isn’t cheap either.

At least Floridians aren’t paying state income taxes.
Well of course it’s cheaper than New York but wages in the city are much higher also. Take a look at the average earner in Florida. No shit, here in St Pete you can’t find a decent house for less than $600k. And that’ll get you a 3/2 1500 sq/ft in a “decent” part of town. Same house in desirable neighborhoods? $800k and up. It’s nuts. I have no idea how anyone making less than $100k in this town can afford to live. And that’s just covering living expenses lol.

4.95% income tax is in the middle. If you live in cook county your taxes are high, most places are right in the middle. This chart isn’t very reliable for someone living in a suburban collar

Just sayin.
I was also referring to overall state tax “bites” such as RE taxes. Not to mention license fees and state vehicle insurance rates.

4.95% income tax is in the middle. If you live in cook county your taxes are high, most places are right in the middle. This chart isn’t very reliable for someone living in a suburban collar county.
I was referring to Illinois corporate (not personal) tax rates. Illinois flat corp income tax rate tallies 9.5% and includes 7% business income tax, and 2.5% personal property replacement tax for corps., which did rank 2nd highest in 2023.

Just sayin.
LOL…..
Iowa has been about the middle of the pack tax-wise for decades, Dog…..Higher income taxes but lower sales and property taxes……it all balances out. I think in 2020 Iowa ranked 26th in the nation tax-wise….and that list includes states that do not have income taxes…..you guys are so easily deluded….

4.95% income tax is in the middle. If you live in cook county your taxes are high, most places are right in the middle. This chart isn’t very reliable for someone living in a suburban collar county.
IL property taxes are ridiculously high

I did read it.

We fit the criteria, why aren't people flooding into Iowa?

LOL…..
Iowa has been about the middle of the pack tax-wise for decades, Dog…..Higher income taxes but lower sales and property taxes……it all balances out. I think in 2020 Iowa ranked 26th in the nation tax-wise….and that list includes states that do not have income taxes…..you guys are so easily deluded….
Gold.
Iowa had one of the highest income tax rates in frickin country before kim.
Please let me know how to calculate sales tax burden.
If property taxes are being compared then housing costs need to be taken into account.

Last edited:
LOL…..
Good to know, as that certainly wasn’t a primary factor in our decision to retire to Iowa from MN. Had more to do with the colder weather in MN, our kids living in Iowa, and getting closer to being able to frequently attend Hawkeye sports. However, an added benefit has certainly been a political climate in Iowa that more closely follows my views than the liberal MN state.

Issue with some of these states is unfunded pensions and deficits.
Shit will hit the fan soon.
Wall street covered some of this issues previously.
Yeah, California (among other states) has a huge budget deficit and as you say, several state pension funds are in trouble. It’s a sad state of affairs…no pun intended.

Good to know, as that certainly wasn’t a primary factor in our decision to retire to Iowa from MN. Had more to do with the colder weather in MN, our kids living in Iowa, and getting closer to being able to frequently attend Hawkeye sports. However, an added benefit has certainly been a political climate in Iowa that more closely follows my views than the liberal MN state.
Well I am overjoyed for you Hans. I stayed here in Iowa because the UMinnesota phuquin’ Rodents re present that state.

What did I aay
Gold.
Iowa had one of the highest income tax rates in frickin country before kim.
Please let me know how to calculate sales tax burden.
If property taxes are being compared then housing costs need to be taken into account.
? What did I say? Iowa was rated 26th in the nation as far as taxation was concerned. High in income but lower than most in other taxable areas (sales, property, local). Back in my working days, my state tax was 3-4% of our gross, regardless of our income..my local taxes just shy of 1%…Fed taxes ran about 10-11%…I just never thought I was being taxed unfairly by either Feds or State.
It will be interesting to see where Iowa rests in 2-3 years from now. Some taxes are gonna have to increase…unless there is a large cut in some state services.

My only hard stance on lowering taxes is that food that isn’t prepared for you should not be taxed. I think nutritious food for the people is a national security thing. Don’t tax the groceries, tax the luxuries.
Agreed.

However, I also think there should be more rigid restrictions on what can be purchased with an EBT card. Suffice it to say soda and Twinkies are the tip of the iceberg of food items that I believe should only be purchased with cash, credit, or debit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT