ADVERTISEMENT

Guess which 3 states are decreasing in population the most?

I didn't know how common this still was. Looks like the states that still tax groceries are ones dominated by "low tax" Republicans.

Virginia
Mississippi
Utah
Tennessee
South Dakota
Oklahoma
Missouri
Kansas
Illinois
Idaho
Hawaii
Alabama
Tennessee has no state income tax, and our property tax is relatively low.

Lower housing prices is such a big deal and petare underestimating it. North Carolina for example had a really nice climate, beaches, mountains, and you could get a nice house there for 1/3rd of Cali. People overvalue politics.

People overvalue politics directly.

But there's the indirect way that politics affect the likelihood that reasonable priced housing is available.

The truth is, the sort of pro business/anti-regulation politics you find in red states results in ugly, sterile sprawl of cookie cutter subdivisions, overwhelming traffic and emissions, no or poor public transportation, less protection for green space and nature. AND...houses normal people want and can afford.

You can have the environmentally responsible, equity considered, urban planned, green certified community, and no reasonable housing. Or you can let developers run your city councils and create a suburban hellscape of subdivisions and strip malls, and have affordable homes.

It doesn't seem like it should be that way, but that's the shit choice we live with.

If you don’t think weather is a driver in northern to southern migration, we can agree to disagree. The weather in the Midwest is intolerable for huge portions of people and it was the primary driver for me to leave Iowa.

Hot summers > cold winter

People don’t move to Iowa because it sucks. There’s nothing to do there and the people are boring.
Weather/family is the reason retired Iowans leave Iowa. I honestly cannot think of any one I know who left Iowa because taxes were too high! My best friend lefties 40 years ago to set up a business in Az and he has told me more than once state taxes was never a consideration. Weather and opportunity to make $$ were primary drivers. He also told me that if you hate Iowa in the winter, most of Az in the summer is no bargain either. And Iowa doesn’t have rattlesnakes!

Weather/family is the reason retired Iowans leave Iowa. I honestly cannot think of any one I know who left Iowa because taxes were too high! My best friend lefties 40 years ago to set up a business in Az and he has told me more than once state taxes was never a consideration. Weather and opportunity to make $$ were primary drivers. He also told me that if you hate Iowa in the winter, most of Az in the summer is no bargain either. And Iowa doesn’t have rattlesnakes!
I did.
Just sayin.
Az has state income tax but csb.

I did.
Just sayin.
Az has state income tax but csb.
Az. also has (lots of) tourists…and tourist $$$ pay for a lot of their stuff. High hotel/motel taxes, high car rental franchise fees…Iowa certainly lacks these benefits.
The two stadiums (baseball and football) in Phx built in the last 20 years are being paid for with h/m and car rental monies. They didn’t cost the Az. Residents one cent…Oretty sweet deal for Phx and Az as well as team owners!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT