ADVERTISEMENT

Handshake brawls

nosok23

Scout Team
Aug 15, 2023
When are they going to do away with after game handshakes! This is getting out of control! Unfortunately sportsmanship is a thing of the past. I remember when Fran pulled the team in a game a few years ago and didn’t even shake hands with the opposing team.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
Yep. You want to know the reason? God has been taken out of everything. That's what I think.
So once again you feel the need to inject religion and politics into the basketball and football threads. It never ends with you guys. Your statement seems a tad ironic given the fact that this took place at a Catholic university.

LSU and Texas Tec women's game was getting into it a bit last night.
Not just the men anymore.

So once again you feel the need to inject religion and politics into the basketball and football threads. It never ends with you guys. Your statement seems a tad ironic given the fact that this took place at a Catholic university.
I believe he's referring to the lack of Morals issue going on in this country and it is bleeding over into sports.

The moral fabric of society is on life support right now! I really feel for our kids and their kids as I’m not optimistic if this will improve over there lifetime!

Your parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc said the same thing about the generation that followed theirs. Remember when Elvis was the devil? Change happens over every generation. Are things worse overall? Better? Better reported? Hard to tell really. @pamarcole too

Last edited:
Your parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc said the same thing about the generation that followed theirs. Remember when Elvis was the devil? Change happens over every generation. Are things worse overall? Better? Better reported? Hard to tell really.
What you say is the truth. It was said by all of them. Been around 75 years now and in my opinion, it is worse overall Morally and otherwise. Yeah, I know this is an off topic issue but it's spilling over into everything we do. Sports included.

The moral fabric of society is on life support right now! I really feel for our kids and their kids as I’m not optimistic if this will improve over there lifetime!

did you hear about the domestic violence 911 call in a well-to-do Minnesota suburb on Sunday?

A man, who was prohibited from possessing guns, had several rifles & hand guns & a LOT of ammo and had barricaded himself and his 7 kids (3 different mothers) in the home.

After 4 hours of negotiating, he decided to go out shooting; he even asked one of the 7 kids if she wanted to join him (she declined). 2 police officers & a paramedic lost their lives.

• Sad
Reactions: ddeanHawk
What you say is the truth. It was said by all of them. Been around 75 years now and in my opinion, it is worse overall Morally and otherwise. Yeah, I know this is an off topic issue but it's spilling over into everything we do. Sports included.

Thanks Hendy, I'm not quite 75, but not all that far off either. I think what you said fits perfectly into this conversation. Thank you for adding your thoughts.

did you hear about the domestic violence 911 call in a well-to-do Minnesota suburb on Sunday?

A man, who was prohibited from possessing guns, had several rifles & hand guns & a LOT of ammo and had barricaded himself and his 7 kids (3 different mothers) in the home.

After 4 hours of negotiating, he decided to go out shooting; he even asked one of the 7 kids if she wanted to join him (she declined). 2 police officers & a paramedic lost their lives.

Are you saying things are worse now than they ever have been? Or is that just an example of a recent tragic event?

Yep. You want to know the reason? God has been taken out of everything. That's what I think.

yep; and crime is ridiculous right now.

and there are no consequences for those who commit crimes, especially if you are a juvenile.

One example: there was a KIA stolen in Minneapolis; 4 juveniles were in it. the driver was 12 years old. A cop, when seeing the stolen vehicle, simply turned on its lights and the 12 year old took off down a residential street. He ended up crashing (T-boning) into a mini van and into a bus stop, injuring several.

And get this: it will be interesting to see if the police dept gets sued for causing a high speed chase.

When are they going to do away with after game handshakes! This is getting out of control!
Just the opposite. Should go back to announcing starting lineups one player at a time from both teams, with each pair shaking hands (or fist-bumping or whatever) at midcourt. Or at least everyone shaking hands (etc) while waiting for the tipoff at midcourt. Used to be customary.

A little tougher to punch someone in the nose after just shaking their hand.

Are you saying things are worse now than they ever have been? Or is that just an example of a recent tragic event?

unfortunately, i think things are worse than they've ever been.

More drugs, more guns, more thefts, more violence.

i am just glad i don't own a KIA/Hyundai; it would have been stolen a long time ago.

Reactions: WSC72
God can be part of it for some but it is also just common morals and ethics, right and wrong, golden rule, do unto others .... stuff.

Certainly if our leaders quit being moral and ethical, and if you want to talk about religion, if leaders and people dont take the 10 commandments and other scripture laws seriously and governmental laws seriously, then you have a crap world.

And we have a lot of leaders and people, who say and do outrageously bad stuff, talking about killing someone in the streets and getting away with it, etc etc. Yet these people and talking heads make money on it because we have people who want to be in their tribe/their gang.

Your parents, grandparents, great grandparents, etc said the same thing about the generation that followed theirs. Remember when Elvis was the devil? Change happens over every generation. Are things worse overall? Better? Better reported? Hard to tell really. @pamarcole too
Not true. But go ahead and believe what you want. My grand parents never said anything like this, nor did my parents, nor I to my kids. I simply taught my kids to be graceful win they lost, and even more graceful when they won. But hey, you be you.

Not true. But go ahead and believe what you want. My grand parents never said anything like this, nor did my parents, nor I to my kids. I simply taught my kids to be graceful win they lost, and even more graceful when they won. But hey, you be you.

I really wasn’t referring to sports. More society in general. I could see why my original post may have been a bit confusing. I appreciate your response either way. Thanks for joining in, always good to have a variety of opinions

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Little consequences for bad behavior anymore. Just excuses and ignoring the situation.
Agree......
- Players and potentially coaches are disqualified for "x" future games
- Schools are fined
- Everyone aware of the consequences so if idiots have to be sat down for a period of time, that is their fault.

Reactions: ddeanHawk
There are multiple causes that would require a long discussion on an off-topic board. This lack of respect and immediately resorting to violence is why we need to keep guns out of the hands of some people. That by itself is not a simple issue to solve.

i am just glad i don't own a KIA/Hyundai; it would have been stolen a long time ago.
You think or you know? What people think is more often the result of what they're told and their individual circumstances than what really holds true in the world at large.

Reactions: LinusPF and WSC72

Violent crime rates are much lower now than 20-30 years ago, based on FBI data

ETA: There is admittedly some concern with this data, as a gray area is the amount of crime that goes unreported

So now teams can't be expected to shake hands without getting in fights? Good lord.
If conferences or NCAA would step up and suspend players who fight this wouldn't be a problem. Instead we get excuses from coaches (including our own) about how hard the kids battled and how high emotions are after the game that excuse the behavior.........the handshake line isn't the problem. Those who allow post-game antics are....figure it out! Don't put a team out there that can't handle losing......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT