ADVERTISEMENT

Hardest hit you've seen in an Iowa football game?

Gallery and Steinbach crushing some poor soul on the outside during a Jailbreak. The guy never had chance.

I don't remember the year, but I remember the team. Sanders knocked not one, but two Badger QB's out of the game. It wasn't a fair fight.

I was sitting behind the bench for that game and there was a fan behind me that was screaming at the top of his lungs most of the game just random stuff to wisconsin players and their entourage, and I distinctly remember as the second QB got knocked out he was screaming at the 3rd QB that he better be ready because he was next in line to be knocked out. Alvarez was down there for a while too and it was just comical.

Reactions: ammer11
The one that resonates still with me is this one. Still gives me chills to watch that clip.

• Marshall Yanda decleater vs. ISU on a reverse 2006

I think I've said this but I know Rashawn Parker a bit, the receiver of the hit, and his now wife teased him one time I was there about it.

He just deadpanned, "Yeah... that hurt".

During a game against Purdue, Bob Stoops hit some poor bastard so hard, both guys were knocked out cold. They both had concussions, and I think the receiver ended up with a broken jaw.

We were sitting in the north end zone; the hit happened around the opposite 20-yard line. I swear, it sounded like a shotgun went off. The entire stadium let out a collective groan, then fell silent.

Scary hit. Worst I ever saw in person.

Last edited:

Here's a Bob Sanders highlight reel with a lot of his hits. Terrible quality. The Michigan St hit some have mentioned is around the 1:05 mark.

Reactions: IowaNiceHawk
Never been able to find it online but Jewel Hampton absolutely laid the wood on a LB blitzing in the red zone in our game @ Arizona. Knocked the dude out for the game.... 1 quarter later Jewels iowa career is over with a torn ACL ;/

Reactions: bhawk24bob
In the night game a couple years ago, Lomax absolutely blasted that 6'10" TE from Minnesota in the midsection when breaking up a pass. That was a shot.

One few saw...iowa 12-9 over Michigan St in 90. 4th and 1, under a minute, one first down from fog range for Sparta. Melvin Foster shoots gap...knocks FB out cold, makes tackle for 1 yd loss on tail back(Blake Ezor, I believe). Hawks win...Rose Bowl dreams got real.

I remember a TE from Michigan coming across the middle and Sanders just drilled him. He was out for a few minutes and very woozy afterwards. Half of Sanders hits wouldn't be legal now.

Sean Welsh makes a great block on this run. You can hear the crack to it. Probably not the hardest hit of all time, but still fun to watch.

Reactions: StallmanCurse
Yep, you're right. Fun game to watch live. 7:19 - wasn't as big of a hit as I thought, but everyone in the crowd saw it coming. Drew Tate was so damn good in 2004.

That was a good, back and forth game. I still remember Kyle "The Yellow Dart" Smith getting flagged for taunting after his TD catch. Who got the interception to seal that one late?

KF didn't like that hit. He chewed Roth's ass pretty good after it. I thought it was fine. The play was live. It's the kicker's fault he wasn't paying attention.

Clean, legal hit (but perhaps unnecessary) and Roth could have lit him up even worse if he wanted. This is a good hit to show your kids so that they don't stand around like statues when there's a live ball, especially when they are surrounded by sharks.

Great thread, I will always remember the Yanda hit but there have been a lot of great ones. When you play the Hawks, you better cinch up the helmet strap.

So many great ones here... have to go with Yanda. The fact that he knocked out a clone is the tie-breaker

The Bruggeman?? kid, from Bettendorf, who played on Special Teams,
& backed up Greenway/Hodge at LB. That guy layed the Wood BIG-time on kickoffs. He would decimate who ever was unlucky enough to get him by him

The Bruggeman?? kid, from Bettendorf, who played on Special Teams,
& backed up Greenway/Hodge at LB. That guy layed the Wood BIG-time on kickoffs. He would decimate who ever was unlucky enough to get him by him
Bruggeman was the center from CR Washington

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT