ADVERTISEMENT

Hardest hit you've seen in an Iowa football game?

George Lewis had some great hits that game too.

Those two each had brutal wide open rib shots on LSU's starter, I think Lewis had the kill shot as he lasted a very short time in the third and they brought in #2, a white kid whose name escapes me but I think he played in the league. He was terrible, enter JaMarcus.

I have a DVD of the broadcast, it's sad how many times I have watched that game.

Bruggeman was the center from CR Washington

And that is NOT the guy I'm talking about...........the LB, who never started, but played a lot on Special teams and would Lay the WOOD often was from Bettendorf..........no, not Angerer. But, maybe Pat could help recall this guys' name.......last name started with a B. I know he played in the Outback, where the game was the Swindle in the Swamp.......Greenway, Tate, Hinkel, etc

And that is NOT the guy I'm talking about...........the LB, who never started, but played a lot on Special teams and would Lay the WOOD often was from Bettendorf..........no, not Angerer. But, maybe Pat could help recall this guys' name.......last name started with a B. I know he played in the Outback, where the game was the Swindle in the Swamp.......Greenway, Tate, Hinkel, etc
Are you thinking of Zach Gabelman? He's from Bett and played LB that year and some special teams!

Reactions: jellyfish10
I remember a TE from Michigan coming across the middle and Sanders just drilled him. He was out for a few minutes and very woozy afterwards. Half of Sanders hits wouldn't be legal now.

That was Fred Barr that hit Bennie Joppru in maybe 2001 or 2002, it was the hardest hit I could remember

During a game against Purdue (I think) Bob Stoops hit some poor bastard so hard, both guys were knocked out cold. They both had concussions, and I think the receiver ended up with a broken jaw.

We were sitting in the north end zone; the hit happened around the opposite 20-yard line. I swear, it sounded like a shotgun went off. The entire stadium let out a collective groan, then fell silent.

Scary hit. Worst I ever saw in person.

Totally agree, I was at that game. Stoops would be ejected and banned from a couple of games today. It was early in the game and their wide receiver was well known. I believe he ended up playing in the NFL. He came across the middle and Stoops laid him out. I don't remember Stoops having a concussion but I know that he broke the Purdue WR's jaw.

Reactions: HealeyBN6
Totally agree, I was at that game. Stoops would be ejected and banned from a couple of games today. It was early in the game and their wide receiver was well known. I believe he ended up playing in the NFL. He came across the middle and Stoops laid him out. I don't remember Stoops having a concussion but I know that he broke the Purdue WR's jaw.

I guess any time someone gets knocked out, they're considered to have suffered a concussion, by definition.

I had Stoops in one of my classes. He sat directly behind me, and he was constantly looking over my shoulder during lecture to copy my notes. My impression of him at the time was that he'd had a few too many concussions; he seemed to be in a constant fog.

Let's just say... I didn't expect great things in his future.

Nostradamus, I ain't.
:rolleyes:

I have to vote for Yanda, it still gives me chills......LOL You could have also added the hit the Outlaw did on Niemann in the Nebraska game two seasons ago. You could also add years ago when one of the Hawk players knocked down the goal post at Michigan State I believe
Good to hear fron you Scothawk. Love that hit by Yanda. The isu guy probably got a visit from the Tooth Fairy that night.

Weisman didn't do much on that run, other than absorb some hits where guys didn't wrap up. Could be used as an instructional video on poor tackling form.

Well, I searched and searched for the bruising runs everyone said Weisman had against Nebraska, but that was the only one that came up. I didn't think it was in the same league as other hits posted, but there were at least five people who thought that so I figured posting the run could at least contribute to the debate. I agree with you, more bad tackling than vicious hits.

A few random ones for me since watching Hawk football since 1991. I'm sure I'm missing a lot and Sanders will top the list!
  • Bob Sanders vs. MSU (Sparty kickoff return circa 2000)
  • Bob Sanders vs. K-State Kickoff Classic
  • Bob Sanders vs. MSU a few years later, Charles Rogers wanted no part of him
  • Jeff Tarpinian vs. Mich (UM kickoff return 2009)
  • Erik Jensen vs Michigan 2003
  • Nate Chandler injured a few LBs during QB scrambles
  • Marshall Yanda decleater vs. ISU on a reverse 2006
  • Gallery vs. Illinois -- forget the year here
  • Iowa vs. FL outback 2005, LB George Lewis had some massive hits
  • Jordan Lomax vs. ISU and Purdue, knocked a few people out
  • Shonn Greene vs. Purdue, stoned a Purdue DB
  • LeShun Daniels trucked a few last year

Feel free to add to list!
Shonn Greene, 5:57 mark, ouch!

My personal favorite!

Three big hits that stand out for me, in no particular order:
  • Sanders against KSU kick returner. Our introduction to the Hit Man.
  • Yanda's pancake against ISU
  • Bob Stoops with a greatly timed hit against MSU TE in the 1981 season finale. Result of the play was an incomplete pass. Clean hit on a cold day that knocked both guys out of the game, although I think Bob was able to return later.

Reactions: Tunadog

dwighthit.gif
My first game.

Illegal hit now, but the penalty then was 5 yards for being to close to him when he caught it.

I could be wrong on this but I remember a Bob Stoops hit against MSU. If I remember correctly Bob Commings was the head coach. Both players appeared to be knocked out then Bobby stood up pushed the trainers away and started jogging towards the MSU bench. The trainers grabbed him and got him headed towards the right bench.

I could be wrong on this but I remember a Bob Stoops hit against MSU. If I remember correctly Bob Commings was the head coach. Both players appeared to be knocked out then Bobby stood up pushed the trainers away and started jogging towards the MSU bench. The trainers grabbed him and got him headed towards the right bench.
You must be thinking about the 1981 game against MSU. Stoops was recruited by Commings, but Hayden was the only coach he played for (redshirted as a frosh).

Reactions: Tunadog
Honorable mention: Damien Robinson knocking out PSU Fullback Aaron Harris...on a run play in the hole...1996

Damien Robinson doesn’t get enough love around here. He was every bit the hitter Sanders was IMO.

I also remember remember him laying the wood against an OSU receiver trying to make a catch along the sideline. It was a vicious hit and I believe it knocked the WR out of the game.

Reactions: goodbyebobby
Vaguely remember Roger Stech from Perry with a big hit against ? in the mid 70's. It may not have been much, but we were so bad that it stood out. Shanty Burks also had a big hit in 1977.

Are you thinking of Zach Gabelman? He's from Bett and played LB that year and some special teams!

Gabelman was a friend of mine in college. He was friends with my college gf and her brother who he played with at Bett. He is who I came into this thread to mention. Glad someone did. One of the nicest guys I ever met at school off the field, but he brought the thunder on special teams. Like Angerer, a good soccer player for the Bulldogs too.

I have to vote for Yanda, it still gives me chills......LOL You could have also added the hit the Outlaw did on Niemann in the Nebraska game two seasons ago. You could also add years ago when one of the Hawk players knocked down the goal post at Michigan State I believe

Ron Hawley.

Reactions: scotthawk1964
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT