ADVERTISEMENT

Hardest hit you've seen in an Iowa football game?

There have been a lot of big hits over the years, but Ron Hawley’s will always be #1 with me. The man knocked over a goalpost for God’s Sake!

There have been a lot of big hits over the years, but Ron Hawley’s will always be #1 with me. The man knocked over a goalpost for God’s Sake!
That is a great memory. But that was an old wooden two-post goalpost.

Couple of my favorites:

Sanders on the kick return against MSU. I was sitting in that end zone with my dad, could hear the hit throughout the stadium.

Yanda against isu of course, in the student section that game and the “ooohs” after every replay kept getting louder and louder.

Finally, a little hawk on hawk violence. Shonn Greene had a run in the 55-0 game at the metro dome when he cut back and djk was absolutely blind sided by him. Decleated doesn’t do it justice, absolutely destroyed him.

That is a great memory. But that was an old wooden two-post goalpost.
True....and a temporary one to boot. Still, there is something about knocking over a goal post (even if it technically wasn’t the hardest hit of all time), that sets it apart from all the others. Perception!

Damien Robinson doesn’t get enough love around here. He was every bit the hitter Sanders was IMO.

I also remember remember him laying the wood against an OSU receiver trying to make a catch along the sideline. It was a vicious hit and I believe it knocked the WR out of the game.

What’s funny is he seemed soft and unwillingly to hit early on and then he transformed into a legitimate badass on the back end of the defense.

The cheap-shot on Sandeman at MSU '09 ... but I'd rather forget it.

I too attended that game. Easily the hardest hitting 60 minutes of football I have ever seen ...watched Hawkeyes for 60 years, now and counting! The hit on Sandemen was flat out scary... the twitching was totally unnerving. Mich. St. fans around us were stone silent until they started booing when the flag was thrown, several seconds after the play ended. The play was more an assault than a hit!

Mine would be The Missile, Bob Sanders STONING the big Fla State running back, on some NFL team, at the goal line.

And then also, saw Tim Dwight annihilate some poor HS kid on a Punt return.
Ouch

The one that resonates still with me is this one. Still gives me chills to watch that clip.

• Marshall Yanda decleater vs. ISU on a reverse 2006
That was the first one I thought of too. I thought that ISU LB would never get up from that hit. The crowd let out gasp just from the sound of it.

• Marshall Yanda decleater vs. ISU on a reverse 2006
Yeah happened right in front of us. Could see it coming but the poor ISU kid def didn't best hit I've ever seen in person.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT