ADVERTISEMENT

Has the Iowa brand lost its luster?

Sett, you are completely right. Take away Spencer and the production of ncaa champs has been fairly anemic.

It's been beaten to death, but I'll kick it one more time. Cael starts out with very high level recruits, typically the best in H.S. at their weight, many top 10 p4p, and many have world medals (cadet, Jr level), They are often close to AA caliber as true fr.

If Cael can keep these elite recruits from deteriorating, he's halfway to a team title already.

In contrast, Brands task has too often been, get a guy ranked 50th p4p and see if he can improve him so that maybe he'll be an AA by his Sr year. Makes us feel good (Grothus, Murin, N Brands, etc.) but doesn't get us ncaa team titles.

Btw, Cael won 1 Olympic gold, 1 World Silver. Both Brands exceeded that.
See if he can be an AA his senior year and then have half this board arguing that he needs to petition the NCAA for another year of eligibility. You forgot that part….

For some kids it’s a big thing for others not so much. TNT offer it.
Other teams claim to offer this, too. Religious people are not unusual in college wrestling.
Whether someone actually walks the walk instead of talking the talk is another question.
My personal belief is that TnT do walk the walk.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson
Hey, I didn't say I liked it. That's just how it is. I don't know if that's for repeating this same mantra that has permeated this thread, or because you disagree with my premise.

When I was in high school I didn't know or care who Doug Blubaugh or Dan Hodge was. I knew Dan Gable and the Petersens and Chris Taylor (but was still an Iowa fan). These kids don't want to know history, they want the bright shiny item that's hot on the charts.

This thread, while beating a dead horse, has pointed out most of the shortcomings of the last ten years (as if we didn't already know). We don't have to like it, I certainly don't, but facts are facts (to some people), and the fact is, we've been a distant second for a while now. I know, I know, 2020 and 2021, so what? Something needs to change, or it will stay that way. I know, new facility, blah, blah, blah. I love TNT, and don't think there is a better coach out there to bring in than Tom, but I think his philosophies might need more tweaking than he seems willing to do. The hand-fight, wear them down, work harder (until you get injured) deal just isn't working these days.

I want to see us win as much as ANYONE, but the foreseeable future doesn't show that possibility. That needs to change somehow. For every bright spot, there seem to be two setbacks with this current program.

We just got a great new recruit, and we have Arnold for at least three more years. Ferrari is coming in next year, and maybe his brother(s) in January, Caliendo has looked good (Franek, eh, so far). Things are looking up. We're still WAY behind Fun State, and not gaining ground at this point. I WANT things to get better, but so far, they're not.

Really?

Please tell me more in the truest Cesspool style of keeping politics and religion off the wrestling board. But if you do, beware. I hear tell there might be a campaign initiated to put you on ignore.
I don't need to tell you anything. If you're as learned on the subject of religion as you let on, which I believe you are probably in an academic way (still not sure spiritually), you know exactly what I'm saying. I will not apologize for stating what people who believe as I do think to be true.

Go ahead and put me on ignore. Probably many of the people feeling that way are already on my ignore list. If I remember correctly, one of those campaigns was recently aimed at you as well.

Reactions: hawk224 and Gobblin
The biggest thing Iowa wrestling is lacking as a whole is Evolution. We are not evolving with the likes of PSU and Cornell. We are still wrestling the Iowa way of forward pressure and heavy hands. That should be a part of your arsenal not your philosophy. We look uncomfortable in tight matches down the stretch. Heck, anymore at nationals, I feel like we are going to lose if the match goes to OT. I feel like we lose most scrambles. We are still a trophy team bc of our Brand and history. We are failing at evolving.
Recruiting-3 things that would change the game. 1. Get a recruiting coordinator. 2: Get a fresh young face to mix up the coaching staff. 3. Get some of our staff and or HWC members coaching the U15 and U17 world teams.
I think we need to shake up the coaching staff and add a senior level or 2 to HWC.
Build relationships with the best clubs in the country. Invite Askren to come to our new facilty. Hell pay Askren to run a camp at our new facility. We could most definitly use some funk implemented to our wrestling.
I truly think we can rival PSU but we have to evolve and adapt bc its obvious we are not keeping up currently with what we are doing.
My wish list would be to add JB to HWC/Iowa coaching staff after Olympic run.
Add Nolf to the HWC as a senior athlete. Add Gabe's cousin to the HWC. Build a realtionship with top clubs in the nation.

Redshirt is the answer to half this board.

I think that thought process has actually changed for many, since Spencer. Even now many want to see Arnold out there this year even though Iowa has no realistic chance to beat PSU AND it is probably the least likely season for Gabe to win a title with Starocci still going.

To me, it is purely situational in 2 parts:

1.)Does the wrestler going right away give them a legitimate chance to win a team title?

2.)Does the wrestler have a better chance to win multiple titles with more development and/or the weight class clearing out a bit?

In the case of Lee, part 2 obviously trumped part 1. In the case of Arnold, I would prefer to see him take this year to gain valuable experience for next season, since you can still wrestle attached 5 times during the 1st semester. Let him be the guy the next 4 years, along with the Ferrari’s and hopefully Kueter to try to make their next big push.

In the above case, you could wrestle Angelo right away or redshirt him depending on if Brands gets another year and where they all fit into the lineup. Having the option is actually a good thing.

The biggest thing Iowa wrestling is lacking as a whole is Evolution. We are not evolving with the likes of PSU and Cornell. We are still wrestling the Iowa way of forward pressure and heavy hands. That should be a part of your arsenal not your philosophy. We look uncomfortable in tight matches down the stretch. Heck, anymore at nationals, I feel like we are going to lose if the match goes to OT. I feel like we lose most scrambles. We are still a trophy team bc of our Brand and history. We are failing at evolving.
Recruiting-3 things that would change the game. 1. Get a recruiting coordinator. 2: Get a fresh young face to mix up the coaching staff. 3. Get some of our staff and or HWC members coaching the U15 and U17 world teams.
I think we need to shake up the coaching staff and add a senior level or 2 to HWC.
Build relationships with the best clubs in the country. Invite Askren to come to our new facilty. Hell pay Askren to run a camp at our new facility. We could most definitly use some funk implemented to our wrestling.
I truly think we can rival PSU but we have to evolve and adapt bc its obvious we are not keeping up currently with what we are doing.
Add Nolf to the HWC as a senior athlete. Add Gabe's cousin to the HWC. Build a realtionship with top clubs in the nation.
THIS AND ONLY THIS!!! Stop acting like Iowa wrestling needs to be in a bubble by themselves. We need a coaching staff that we build relationships with more people instead of build walls.

Here’s another potential HUGE change to college athletics. It’s already happening but this would make collegiate involvement legal.

Sounds pricey

I will not apologize for stating what people who believe as I do think to be true.
I guess if the people either don't understand or ignore the tenets of
  • Matthew 7:1-3
    • Do not judge, or you too will be judged.
    • or in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
    • Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
  • John 8:7
    • So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. who is without sin cast the first stone.; and
  • Matthew 6:12
    • And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them who trespass against us.
Go ahead and put me on ignore. Probably many of the people feeling that way are already on my ignore list. If I remember correctly, one of those campaigns was recently aimed at you as well.
Yes. Alas, I choose not to judge and instead forgive freely.

John 20:21 Peace be with you.

Hope that addresses your uncertainty about
If you're as learned on the subject of religion as you let on, which I believe you are probably in an academic way (still not sure spiritually)
And yes, I have copies of the Bible, Book of Mormon, Koran, Buddhist texts, and Bhagavad Gita.

Why are you all forgetting about Spencer! We do not need JB although I would not mind him on staff, I would take Nolf first if given the choice.
Nolf is younger and very creative in his wrestling, great wrestlers dont always make the best wrestlers. I believe the great wrestlers that are creative and constantly think of ways to improve individual moves make the best coaches.

I believe we just need a bit of fresh thinking added, not an overhaul. Changing the constant attack and keep the pressure on still works very well just with a bit more creativity.
I would bring Chris Ayers into the program in a heartbeat if he would take a position other than TNTs, which would not happen

Reactions: el dub
Here’s another potential HUGE change to college athletics. It’s already happening but this would make collegiate involvement legal.

Top tier teams setting aside at least $30000/year for half of their athletes. Would that amount be per student?

• or in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
    • Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
    • So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. who is without sin cast the first stone.; and

And yes, I have copies of the Bible, Book of Mormon, Koran, Buddhist texts, and Bhagavad Gita.
What, no Tibetan Book of the Dead?

Even Satan can quote the Bible, he just wants to change it, as does the book of Morman. I forgive those who seek forgiveness, but those who choose to reject my God, I might try to give correction, but will not be yoked with, as the Bible also instructs.

I have read parts of the aforementioned books, but feel it would be blasphemous to have them in my home..
You have them all, but which one do you adhere to, because you can't believe them all and have any standing with any of the gods they portray? No, taking a few Bible verses out of context and quoting them does not address my uncertainty.

Peace be with you, as well.

Please, let's not hijack this thread. I'm sorry I responded to the spirituality comments and started it in this direction. I just find that whole thing hypocritical. If that's me being judgmental, God will deal with my sin.

What, no Tibetan Book of the Dead?
It's in the translation I have of texts with which the Dalai Lama escaped. It's pretty much all about easing the suffering of the dying through the process, including not dying alone.

You may be confused by the "Book of the Dead" in that 'The Mummy' movie with Brendan Frazier and Rachel Weisz (sp?).

not be yoked with
Tolerance doesn't amount to "yoking" as in the labor of oxen.
feel it would be blasphemous to have them in my home
I feel seeking knowledge of the beliefs of all is essential to spirituality. It creates understanding. Jesus, afterall, was a Jew. To my knowledge He didn't exclude Samaritans from His audience. He certainly didn't castigate any.

Reactions: el dub and vhsalum
which one do you adhere to, because you can't believe them all and have any standing with any of the gods they portray?
One only has to accept Jesus to get into heaven according to Martin Luther and the reformation. So I don't know what "standing" is required, per se.

The Buddha disdained discussions of a god.

Buddhist philosophy promotes exploration, identification, and self-selection of one's gurus. It promotes reasoning, and even supports choosing new teachers.

I am baptized Roman Catholic. I was an Altar Boy through high school. I was identically named after my uncle, who was a Roman Catholic monsignor.

Now I would say I am philosophically Buddhist with Catholic undertones.

Stupid f***** POLITICS OR RELIGION.. I'm sure you are all very smart about politics and live your life perfect with religion
or whatever you believe in but at the same time maybe...just maybe... we can just talk about wrestling on a wrestling forum???

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:
It's in the translation I have of texts with which the Dalai Lama escaped. It's pretty much all about easing the suffering of the dying through the process, including not dying alone.

You may be confused by the "Book of the Dead" in that 'The Mummy' movie with Brendan Frazier and Rachel Weisz (sp?).
Not confused. Genuinely curious.

I highly suspect it's you who doesn't really grasp the scope of these verses. It would be better if you just stuck to discussing wrestling on here.

Last edited:
JFC POLITICS OR RELIGION.. I'm sure you are all very smart about politics and live your life perfect with religion
or whatever you believe in but at the same time maybe...just maybe... we can just talk about wrestling on a wrestling forum???

I Think You Should Leave Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX
You use the disgusting acronym "JFC" as you blast people for talking religion. Lol
Very offensive to Christians.
Be better, adds zero to your point and makes you sound like a twit.

Reactions: T8KUDWN and Hawkgma
That’s funny. I get the impression he’s one of of the folks here who really does grasp the intent of the verses in question.
Yes, I could see where you could have that impression. I don't blame you for that. But as someone who has watched those verses abused for decades, and in the context in which they were given here, I'm very confident in my statement. But, let's move on to some wrestling discussion.

You use the disgusting acronym "JFC" as you blast people for talking religion. Lol
Very offensive to Christians.
Be better, adds zero to your point and makes you sound like a twit.
good point. I use that as a sign of frustration and didn’t even put that together!! My bad. I’ll edit.

Reactions: Sett1997
Other teams claim to offer this, too. Religious people are not unusual in college wrestling.
Whether someone actually walks the walk instead of talking the talk is another question.
My personal belief is that TnT do walk the walk.
No idea what your religious reference meant, but watch TNT wrestle against Okie State 1989 on YouTube, these bros walk the talk. Kick Ass.

Iowa will be fine and will succeed as long as we have wrestling. However I believe they will have a hard time dominating the sport like they did due to demographics but they will never stop being a serious contender.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Iowa will be fine and will succeed as long as we have wrestling. However I believe they will have a hard time dominating the sport like they did due to demographics but they will never stop being a serious contender.
I agree always a top 10. Demographics in part but other reasons as well.
The style that is our history and reputation is not as attractive to recruits as before. We all wanted to wrestle at iowa and if not good enough went elsewhere but wanted to emmulate the style. I dont think its like that anymore. TNT can and should shift that but would need to bring it in on staff.

You see alot of studs going to higher academic programs for the great degree. Iowa is not that place unless med school.

When programs are rising like UNC, Oregan st, NCS, VTech etc….these campus’ are unreal and mild weather.

Clubs are so much stronger in other regions that feed other programs because of location and alumni running it. Feel clubs like seabolt, big game etc are getting there but not like others yet.

Stronger staff under TNT wouod help. Love our guys but higher profile may help.

JMO.

I think that thought process has actually changed for many, since Spencer. Even now many want to see Arnold out there this year even though Iowa has no realistic chance to beat PSU AND it is probably the least likely season for Gabe to win a title with Starocci still going.

To me, it is purely situational in 2 parts:

1.)Does the wrestler going right away give them a legitimate chance to win a team title?

2.)Does the wrestler have a better chance to win multiple titles with more development and/or the weight class clearing out a bit?

In the case of Lee, part 2 obviously trumped part 1. In the case of Arnold, I would prefer to see him take this year to gain valuable experience for next season, since you can still wrestle attached 5 times during the 1st semester. Let him be the guy the next 4 years, along with the Ferrari’s and hopefully Kueter to try to make their next big push.

In the above case, you could wrestle Angelo right away or redshirt him depending on if Brands gets another year and where they all fit into the lineup. Having the option is actually a good thing.
In hindsight, wouldn't you agree that Lee should have redshirted his freshman year to let his hs knee injury heal properly?

In hindsight, wouldn't you agree that Lee should have redshirted his freshman year to let his hs knee injury heal properly?
I wouldn’t say that. I would say he should have had his knees repaired following the 2020 ncaa tournament and sat out the following year instead of gutting it out for “the team”

I wouldn’t say that. I would say he should have had his knees repaired following the 2020 ncaa tournament and sat out the following year instead of gutting it out for “the team”
From the outside looking in, in hindsight, this may have been the correct move. SL isn’t built that way.

This is all jmo, but I think he should have taken the year after hs off to let his knees heal before competing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT