ADVERTISEMENT

Has the Iowa brand lost its luster?

Doesn't anyone think that threads like this one with posts like #30 do more to help PSU recruiting while hurting Iowa's?

It's wholly counterproductive from a true fan, IMHO. And it makes me suspicious that puppet posters are trolling and exploiting the cesspool.
Really? I’m not sure this fits that troll claim. I hear an Iowa fan being brutally honest on the current situation. And we can’t help if bringing that line of thought front and center is unpopular. That doesn’t mean the sentiment hurts Iowa recruiting. (Unless I’m missing something.)

Btw, it’s been apparent to me that PSU does a better job preparing their athletes for subsequent encounters with opponents. They have a plan. We have determination.

I’m not sure this fits that troll claim. I hear an Iowa fan being brutally honest on the current situation.
I guess I'm saying it's been discussed before, but there seems to be claims of "just realized" and "didn't see previous discussions." Sniff test wise, I find this suspicious.

If the premise of the thread OP is "Data shows Iowa wrestling presently cannot produce Champions, and its limited recent success is due to landing a unicorn recruit" then I have trouble understanding how putting that on blast comports with the notional solution of "we need to land better recruits overall."

So I'm left with the same old "coaching changes are needed" assertion and its subsequent counter arguments. But again a program with coaches on the hot seat will have greater difficulty recruiting.

Bottom line: Not seeing where the end is being kept in mind.

Reactions: el dub
They offer a solid foundation in spirituality. A belief system if you will.
I am not going to get into a debate about Christianity. However, I will say it’s faith based. I think it offers a base for staying emotionally stable, it helps to smooth out highs and lows.
Oh God!

I guess I'm saying it's been discussed before, but there seems to be claims of "just realized" and "didn't see previous discussions." Sniff test wise, I find this suspicious.

If the premise of the thread OP is "Data shows Iowa wrestling presently cannot produce Champions, and its limited recent success is due to landing a unicorn recruit" then I have trouble understanding how putting that on blast comports with the notional solution of "we need to land better recruits overall."

So I'm left with the same old "coaching changes are needed" assertion and its subsequent counter arguments. But again a program with coaches on the hot seat will have greater difficulty recruiting.

Bottom line: Not seeing where the end is being kept in mind.
I actually had not looked up how many champions we have had over the last decade or so. I did and it surprised me. Stop insinuating and reading into things that aren't there. You are borderline calling me a liar too and I don't appreciate it. You need a new sniffer. 😄

Last edited:
I actually had not looked up how many champions we have had over the last decade or so. I did and it surprised me. Stop insinuating and reading into things that aren't there. You are borderline calling me a liar too and I don't appreciate it. You need a new sniffer. 😄
Ignore him. He’s the type who wouldn’t say it to your face.

I actually had not looked up how many champions we have had over the last decade or so. I did and it surprised me. Stop insinuating and reading into things that aren't there. You are borderline calling me a liar too and I don't appreciate it.
The best wrestlers are going to PSU, it's that simple. PSU has 28 individual winners since 2013-2014. I believe Iowa has 5 with three by Lee. You need better recruits and need to develop and keep them. But with Sanderson at the helm and how he has the program running I doubt you will find a another coach to really challenge him now.

Sometimes there's no move you can make to improve by changing coaches. Here's a tier list by Cactus Wrestling:

Brands is listed on the level just below Sanderson , and the fellows seem to think he's the best of the lot, or at least there's a discussion about him. You can't just go out and get a new guy and start a dynasty.

Here's one about how well PSU is currently doing. Remember, you could plug in Iowa during Gable's heyday and make a similar video about their dominance then. I guess it would be an article. but you see what I mean. Don't over react to per4ceived coaching failings when the current coach might be the best option.

Really bad take Spooner. This is legit question for message board. Bringing it up is not outrage nor does it mean that the poster thinks bringing it up will solve the problem. Nebraska football fans were in denial for a long time. I see "give it more time". It shouldn't take that long, and nothing seems to be changing. A new facility will do nothing but allow the Athletic department to assign more costs to wrestling. Is it going to make our wrestlers better? Not really. Sure more space and newer space will help a little, but won't cure what ills us. They have access to weights, trainers, and coaches and the room right now. We are behind PSU on recruiting, wrestler development, training methods, and wrestling skills. Everything that the coach is responsible for. Its not going to magically happen. Yes, we won title a couple years ago, but we are a far inferior program and its getting to be a bigger gap. I have no doubt that if we were to hire Cael Sanderson, that we'd be the top program again within just a couple years regardless of new facilities or whatever.
You got that right. As a very long suffering fan of PSU wrestling …. I was beyond excited when we hired CAEL. I knew that our time would come. I visit this forum because I’m a wrestling fan and have numerous close friends that are Univ Iowa graduates. Not trying to troll here, but, just what level of excitement would ensue in Iowa if they were to hire a David Taylor or Bo Nichol? My guess is that you would think that better days would be coming.

• Haha
Reactions: T8KUDWN and Hawkgma
Don't know if this will make anyone feel better, but this is a direct quote from the parent of a high profile recruit from the Northeast area...

"Loyalty is huge to my son; probably the biggest factor for him. Sooo.... He said Brands would bury a body for you. If Brands has a shovel in his truck, I might be in trouble & not get my way of keeping him close. LOL"

I am also hearing you might be leading for another blue chipper from the tri-state! That one is hearsay; so may or may not be valid!

Not trying to be a tease; just wanted to reassure the fanbase that the brand still appeals to a lot of studs!

He’s one of the guys here I’d like to meet face to face, bruh.
Thanks. I feel the same.

I am still trying to swing a dual with @natchrlman and take him out to lunch or dinner. And if I am ever planning to visit the Pacific NW, I would reach out to you, and offer to break bread, my treat.

I simply don't believe the thread is a good look for Iowa given the end in mind. I've said this about about other threads (e.g., Gomez fallout) with only the best of intentions.

Don't know if this will make anyone feel better, but this is a direct quote from the parent of a high profile recruit from the Northeast area...

"Loyalty is huge to my son; probably the biggest factor for him. Sooo.... He said Brands would bury a body for you. If Brands has a shovel in his truck, I might be in trouble & not get my way of keeping him close. LOL"

I am also hearing you might be leading for another blue chipper from the tri-state! That one is hearsay; so may or may not be valid!

Not trying to be a tease; just wanted to reassure the fanbase that the brand still appeals to a lot of studs!

image.png.5de7b141273c8e2ee4033472e77a4a06.png

nasa-nasa-token.gif

Hmmm..
PJ Duke (NY)
Anthony Knox (NJ)
Kollin Rath (PA)
Jude Correa (PA via NH)
Nathan Desmond (PA)
Collin Gaj (PA)
Leo DeLuca (NJ via NY)
Harvey Ludington (NJ)
Will Henckel (NJ via CT)
Anthony Mutarelli (PA)
Alessio Perentin (NJ)

and that's just for 2025!

I know you weren't trying, but consider me teased.

Btw, it’s been apparent to me that PSU does a better job preparing their athletes for subsequent encounters with opponents. They have a plan. We have determination.
I am not "in the room", but from the fans perspective it is one of the glaring differences between us and PSU. Our guys often reply to the effect, "I have just got to get to my offense..." or "I just need to wrestle my match...", etc. (Emphasis mine.)

But PSU wrestlers often, and very clearly, will have adjusted match tactics between "round 1" and subsequent meet ups. And they very often turn the outcome around or widen the gap. Even the strongest Iowa fan, if they take off their black and gold glasses, would have to acknowledge that, IMO.

Quit emphasizing dominance and stubbornness and win the matches, even if that means getting tactical to do so.

image.png.5de7b141273c8e2ee4033472e77a4a06.png

nasa-nasa-token.gif

Hmmm..
PJ Duke (NY)
Anthony Knox (NJ)
Kollin Rath (PA)
Jude Correa (PA via NH)
Nathan Desmond (PA)
Collin Gaj (PA)
Leo DeLuca (NJ via NY)
Harvey Ludington (NJ)
Will Henckel (NJ via CT)
Anthony Mutarelli (PA)
Alessio Perentin (NJ)

and that's just for 2025!

I know you weren't trying, but consider me teased.
You are on the right path...LOL

I will confirm that both kids vaguely referenced above are in fact 2025s!

Everyone agrees on the data.

Everyone has a different opinion about what to do about it...from moving the goal posts ("It's not about winning, it's about cultivating fine young men") to drinking the Kool-Aid ("Brands has a plan! I trust Brands!") to nuclear option ("Fire everyone! Bring in Dake!") to wishful optimism ("Three Ferraris and Stevenson in the lineup!").

Every possible point on the spectrum has been thoroughly covered on this board.
Divine intervention? Or making them via GMO or cloning? ;)

I don't see any outrage in my post. Valid question, we have had 4 champions not named Spencer in 12 years. Kids used to knock on our door, now, not so much.

What is the allure of PSU over Iowa? Cornell? Michigan? Ohio State? We have Olympic champion and world champion coaches. We are a blue blood.
We have the most attendance in all of college wrestling.
My question is, why aren't we getting the elite wrestlers on a consistent basis anymore?
They don't knock on our door for multiple reasons. College recruits these days were born after the dynasty of Gable. In fact, after he was done with coaching (except for one season as an assistant). The Brands brothers' careers were over. Bael was an Olympic Champ when they were young. The PSU dynasty was starting to roll when they were kids. By the time they were teenagers, and deciding wrestling was their thing, PSU had no equals and Bael was a legend. Pretty much anyone good that wrestled for Iowa was injured sometime while they were here. We don't have a championship reputation with this generation.
They offer a solid foundation in spirituality. A belief system if you will.
I am not going to get into a debate about Christianity. However, I will say it’s faith based. I think it offers a base for staying emotionally stable, it helps to smooth out highs and lows.
But all these "spiritual" kids are wrestling for two coaches who are members of the largest faux-Christian cult in the world, which makes me doubt either their spirituality or their intelligence. Some are sincere and stupid, and some are insincere. I apologize if Bael has renounced the Latter-day Saints without my knowledge, then my statements are wrong. I guess it's possible because he chose to forgo his mission to wrestle. Nagao really played up the religious thing, and then went there, so make what you will of it.

Reactions: tigerhawk2015
They don't knock on our door for multiple reasons. College recruits these days were born after the dynasty of Gable. In fact, after he was done with coaching (except for one season as an assistant). The Brands brothers' careers were over. Bael was an Olympic Champ when they were young. The PSU dynasty was starting to roll when they were kids. By the time they were teenagers, and deciding wrestling was their thing, PSU had no equals and Bael was a legend. Pretty much anyone good that wrestled for Iowa was injured sometime while they were here. We don't have a championship reputation with this generation.

But all these "spiritual" kids are wrestling for two coaches who are members of the largest faux-Christian cult in the world, which makes me doubt either their spirituality or their intelligence. Some are sincere and stupid, and some are insincere. I apologize if Bael has renounced the Latter-day Saints without my knowledge, then my statements are wrong. I guess it's possible because he chose to forgo his mission to wrestle. Nagao really played up the religious thing, and then went there, so make what you will of it.

Frustrated Headache GIF by Kelly Clarkson

Reactions: smalls103
What's up with Carl? One time Olympic and one time world? We have Tom, one time Olympic and one time world. Terry Olympic Bronze and two time world.
We are Iowa and we have 4 total NCAA champions other than Spencer since 2011?
You are stumped?
Sorry for stating the obvious. Something is amiss about the program as far as getting top level recruits.
Sett, you are completely right. Take away Spencer and the production of ncaa champs has been fairly anemic.

It's been beaten to death, but I'll kick it one more time. Cael starts out with very high level recruits, typically the best in H.S. at their weight, many top 10 p4p, and many have world medals (cadet, Jr level), They are often close to AA caliber as true fr.

If Cael can keep these elite recruits from deteriorating, he's halfway to a team title already.

In contrast, Brands task has too often been, get a guy ranked 50th p4p and see if he can improve him so that maybe he'll be an AA by his Sr year. Makes us feel good (Grothus, Murin, N Brands, etc.) but doesn't get us ncaa team titles.

Btw, Cael won 1 Olympic gold, 1 World Silver. Both Brands exceeded that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT