ADVERTISEMENT

Has your optimism changed with DH in the portal?

Current optimism level

• Yes, my optimism if off the charts!

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • I have more optimism than when DH was taking snaps at the Spring practice

Votes: 125 69.1%
  • Meh - same.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Still no optimism until KF is gone.

Votes: 10 5.5%
  • F' Wisconsin

Votes: 21 11.6%

• Total voters
Top one. It was incredibly obvious that DH was a perennial WTF. However, Lester started out working with what he had, and didn't go negative - gave everyone shot. And in the end, I think Lester helped to fix this in a way that was respectful and tactful. This is a good sign overall.

I am "satisfied" that we won't have to watch DH again, but it only leaves us with a fragile starter and a back-up that couldn't beat out DH.

So, same.

Reactions: HemiHawk
I am "satisfied" that we won't have to watch DH again, but it only leaves us with a fragile starter and a back-up that couldn't beat out DH.

So, same.
Agree to a point, I lean towards ML not being as "likeable" as DH to the coaches, mainly JB and BF. Anyone with a pulse could see that ML could at least move the pocket and make teams respect his ability to run (see TN game). The good ol' boys club is gone from what I can see with TL at the OC helm.

Remember Brad Banks couldn't beat out Kyle McCann

Been talked about ad nauseam. By none other than Brad Banks. People see what they chose to see…

As for optimism, it’s usually pretty static for me. We have a good coach, not a great one.

We usually, as do most teams, struggle in certain games.

We are always a QB injury or poor OL away from some real offensive clunkers.

But talent wise we can usually compete with most teams.

Per always I expect to win 10ish games, 9 is reasonable and 8 is a bit of a disappointment.

Our margin for error should be better IF we can get a competent 2nd QB, Marco isn’t it for me.

Been talked about ad nauseam. By none other than Brad Banks. People see what they chose to see…

As for optimism, it’s usually pretty static for me. We have a good coach, not a great one.

We usually, as do most teams, struggle in certain games.

We are always a QB injury or poor OL away from some real offensive clunkers.

But talent wise we can usually compete with most teams.

Per always I expect to win 10ish games, 9 is reasonable and 8 is a bit of a disappointment.

Our margin for error should be better IF we can get a competent 2nd QB, Marco isn’t it for me.
I agree with most of this.

Stanzi couldn't beat out Christensen (until O'Keefe stepped in)
Beathard couldn't beat out Rudock (Rudock injury)

My one complaint is that Iowa's overall evaluation of QB's might be one of the worst in all of P5.

We probably need to pause a moment and anyone, including myself, that was skeptical that the staff was truly opening up the competition give credit to the staff as it does appear there was indeed an open competition AND transparent conversation between the staff and DH.

Doesn’t solve the shortage of QB certainty for the position yet, but it does reinforce that KF and staff really try to keep things “in house” and do right by the players (aka never throw them under the bus like other programs coaches).

Optimism is very tapered until I see hope that this staff can actually prepare a QB. We have had atrocious QB play far before Hill. Hopefully Lester has freedom to put in a scheme that will get away from us recruiting statues under center.

Agree to a point, I lean towards ML not being as "likeable" as DH to the coaches, mainly JB and BF. Anyone with a pulse could see that ML could at least move the pocket and make teams respect his ability to run (see TN game). The good ol' boys club is gone from what I can see with TL at the OC helm.
Are you saying you think KF turned over the keys to Lester?

My one complaint is that Iowa's overall evaluation of QB's might be one of the worst in all of P5.

Meh….probably not the worst. Let’s remember up until Petras. We had some pretty decent quarterbacks….

I was never as negative on Stanley as some of our more “pleasant” posters were. In fact if he played on any of these last couple teams were are the national championship playoff conversations.

Not saying we could win he still had his own inconsistency issues, but he was a pretty decent quarterback…

The point Remains, we aren’t nearly as good at talent evaluation on offense as we are on D.

TE withstanding…

Optimism is very tapered until I see hope that this staff can actually prepare a QB. We have had atrocious QB play far before Hill. Hopefully Lester has freedom to put in a scheme that will get away from us recruiting statues under center.

Far….say like Petras?

We probably need to pause a moment and anyone, including myself, that was skeptical that the staff was truly opening up the competition give credit to the staff as it does appear there was indeed an open competition AND transparent conversation between the staff and DH.

Doesn’t solve the shortage of QB certainty for the position yet, but it does reinforce that KF and staff really try to keep things “in house” and do right by the players (aka never throw them under the bus like other programs coaches).

Wow, that’s a very pleasant, open eye approach. One I believe myself.

I don’t think our checks and balances for identification at the quarterback and wide receiver position is particularly good and we may have entered into that category at offensive line….

But the things our fans say about our “head coach” is literally shocking to me.

I still believe he wants to win, I still believe he wants to do things in an honorable fashion, and I also think he gets irritated enough by the fans. He’s more than willing to look like the stooge. They often think he is….

Hell, I can be like that myself. For people I care for and respect or don’t even know (meaning no negative vibe) I have great love and appreciation and I would just as soon they think positive of me.

People that have proven to be bombastic, shortsighted jackalopes, I really don’t care what they think of me.

• Love
Reactions: ShonnDeereGreene
Same.

I'm optimistic because we have a top 5 defense and a schedule where we will only be an underdog once, that hasn't changed.

While I'm glad we freed up a scholly to go get a more capable QB, the fact is, as of now, we only have 3 QB's on scholarship: a hobbled starter who is one hit away from his career being over, a backup who has played one series in his career, and a true freshman who isn't on campus yet.

I would have to imagine we'd look pretty appealing to the few capable QB's in the portal, but nothing is a sure thing.

Marco isn't ready with his arm and who knows if he ever will be but with his feet he might be able to make a few things happen.
Might be more entertaining to watch atleast

I feel better knowing DH won’t be in if something happens to CM. But KF is still an unknown as far as QB’s and who he decides is the backup. If he thought Hill was worth a scholarship, if another QB from the portal comes in that could be good or not so good. Have to hope for the best.

There are still a lot of obstacles for this offense to overcome, but this is a step in the right direction. My guess is that TL recognized right away that DH did not belong in his offense, and although I don't like the fact that DH took snaps away from ANYONE this spring, I respect TL for at least giving DH a chance to earn the privilege of staying on the roster. Having an OC/QB coach who is competent is such a huge leap forward for this program; I don't see how optimism cannot be up.

True - was Banks at Iowa for spring practice? It's not impossible, it just seems unlikely to me.

p.s. the more bad QB's that come through here the better Kyle McCann looks. His senior year QB rating was 148.5.
Glad you mentioned McCann's rating. There has been a lot of revisionist history about that season. McCann's rating was one of the very best of the KF era - I think that is 3rd or 4th highest.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
I left 2 choices open as I fully expect everyone to pick one of the answers.
If Cade is well and stays healthy it doesnt matter that Hill is gone.

Marco is way more of an athletic threat to make plays and Lester will have him working on his footwork, throwing mechanics, and the new offense so I think ML will be ready to be QB#2 by the first game.

Resar and Poholsky are probalby better than Hill

So I am more excited

I left 2 choices open as I fully expect everyone to pick one of the answers.
Totally dependent on if we can land a decent QB in the portal.

Tough situation. Cade is QB1 so basically we're hunting for a backup. Don't know how attractive that will be.

On the plus side...the QB room is pretty empty (really empty :) ) so that might entice someone.

Reactions: obfuscating
Screenname fits the poll wording and choices perfectly. ;) That said, I'm a little more optimistic because it seems that Lester may actually have some say in what's going on with the O.

I recall at one of the clinics that KOK said (when Tate and others were there) - "How many of you took snaps under center in HS?" I think only 1 of the 4 QB's stated they had, KOK's response "Wow, maybe I should do a deeper look into film, I wasn't aware of that". Take it for what it's worth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT