ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off Hawks

Quality of play counts---yes. Celebrating effort in a loss is a bit like a participation award. I think the Hawks put up a pretty good effort and played about as hard as they can but in the end they did lose.

You think posters are Dicks just because they have a differing view than you have. You seem to pick a part posts all the time based on only your opinion and don't eally ever say anyting about Iowa basketball or football. I wouldn't call you a Dick because of what you post---you're not a dick, but I think you are wrong most of the time and I don't think you are even a sports fan, but that is my opinion.

You're free to have your opinion. Calling someone a Dick is a reflection on you that I don't think makes you look superior.
Celebrating? Accurate analysis and appreciation actually.

Fans just don’t get this. We have a very young team with a high ceiling after this year. To be playing for a spot in the tournament is a testament to Fran’s coaching. We have continued to get better throughout the year and we have a very bright future. Keep Fran here please!
The majority of the minutes are being played by upperclassman.

The backups are young but not playing much.

Reactions: blhawk
images

Reactions: WestIAHawk
I'm guilty of being mad and saying stupid stuff as well. But the continued ignorance and cluelesness by so many is pathetic. They win the next 3 the Dance is right there for them entering the BTT.
It was a 75-75 game with 5:53 to go. Illinois outscored us 20-10 to finish us off at 95-85. I hope we don't do "this" the rest of our games.

And I wouldn't call getting outscored 20-10 over the last 6 minutes "playing at an extremely high level."

And I wouldn't call giving up 51 points in the 2nd half "extremely high level" defense.

Iowa shot 48% for the game, but just 35% in the 2nd half. Illinois shot 50% in the 2nd half.

Poor Iowa shooting from 3, once again, also helped do us in.

Iowa shooting, broken down (no pun intended):

............................1st ...............2nd
...........................Half..............Half......OVERALL
From 3.....3-6 (50%).......1-6 (17%)......4-12 (33%)
From 2...15-23 (65%)...11-28 (39%)...26-51 (51%)
........................................................................................
...............18-29 (62%)...12-34 (35%)..30-63 (48%)
Maybe we only shot 6 shots from 3 for a reason. Saying we shot 17% from 3 sounds really bad, until you realize we only took 6 shots and at least a couple were desperation 3s (end of shot clock or end of game). If we’d shot 17% on 30 shots then maybe you have a point. But with only 6 shots I’d we were actually pretty smart. Why keep shooting 3s when shooting poorly.

Shooting wasn’t great 2nd half and defense and rebounding were a struggle all game but we are getting better and had a 7 point lead in the 2nd half on the road at the #12 team in the nation. For a majority of the game we were doing something right.

But go ahead and cherry pick the stats to show our poor game play and don’t focus on a positive at all.

The majority of the minutes are being played by upperclassman.

The backups are young but not playing much.
So those upperclassmen aren’t coming back? Krikke isn’t coming back for sure. Who else isn’t for sure? Probably not PMac and most people will be happy with that. Perkins may or may not.

Maybe we only shot 6 shots from 3 for a reason. Saying we shot 17% from 3 sounds really bad, until you realize we only took 6 shots and at least a couple were desperation 3s (end of shot clock or end of game). If we’d shot 17% on 30 shots then maybe you have a point. But with only 6 shots I’d we were actually pretty smart. Why keep shooting 3s when shooting poorly.

Shooting wasn’t great 2nd half and defense and rebounding were a struggle all game but we are getting better and had a 7 point lead in the 2nd half on the road at the #12 team in the nation. For a majority of the game we were doing something right.

But go ahead and cherry pick the stats to show our poor game play and don’t focus on a positive at all.
Thank you

Reactions: cubsMDdmb
Starting 2 seniors, a junior and playing another 5th year senior 20+ minutes doesn't sound like a young team. Fran could play a young team but hasn't.
Exactly.
If we keep fran: we will continue to play people out of position and never recruit a good pg. Fran has always struggled at the ends of games, not just with sub/time outs. Good defensive teams ratchet up the pressure near the ends of games. The lack of a real pg to penetrate and create offense is why we seemingly always bog down. Sure we shoot we randomly to end games but that’s rare. We take more contested shots than I see in other games but fran is too stubborn to adapt.
We have too many unathletic/weak clones playing.
I don’t care how many times fran has made the tournament if we can’t win a first round game with NPOY and nba players using his system we never will.
I would be willing to give fran a break if he would try to play defense, show his boys to the weight room, or be willing to flex his offensive philosophy at the end of games. But he won’t. Kirk finds his stubbornness offensive.
Kirk gets to be stubborn, he is a hall of fame coach who has reached levels of success Fran has not. Even Kirk would have been at the end of the line with virtually everyone if Beth hadn’t fired his son.

So those upperclassmen aren’t coming back? Krikke isn’t coming back for sure. Who else isn’t for sure? Probably not PMac and most people will be happy with that. Perkins may or may not.
It's possible all 4 could be gone if you believe that Sandfort actually has a chance to be drafted or 3 of 4 could be back.

Krikke is the only one for sure gone.

Personally I tend to think it's far more likely 3 out of 4 will be back.

The way Illinois defends screens is designed to force you into taking mid range shots.

Iowa did very well on those shots.

There wasn't much of an opportunity to take 3s.

We have a great young base, add in Koch and hopefully Perkins returns. Need a transfer or 2 at Guard or Forward this is a damn good team next season. I still think they can make the Dance this season.

It's possible all 4 could be gone if you believe that Sandfort actually has a chance to be drafted or 3 of 4 could be back.

Krikke is the only one for sure gone.

Personally I tend to think it's far more likely 3 out of 4 will be back.
And this will continue to keep the program muddled in mediocrity. Covid hurt fran more than anyone. Keeping average people around prevented the growth of others. I want all seniors gone. Perkins included.
If Perkins comes back we’ll still have the same average team. Guards will lose experience to Perkins which will put us behind in subsequent years.
Fran needs to let them go and get better coaching. Maybe pmac will learn he has to play hard 100% of the time. Maybe they can go in to professional careers somewhere.

Reactions: CerroGordoHawk
We have a great young base, add in Koch and hopefully Perkins returns. Need a transfer or 2 at Guard or Forward this is a damn good team next season. I still think they can make the Dance this season.
I think we have to win the next 4, maybe 5 to get in. But I don't see that as impossible.

Reactions: Chishawk1425

We shot 48% for the game. That's good, and I pointed that out. You, however, incorrectly stated that I didn't focus on one positive at all.

And I agree with you; we are a poor 3 point shooting team and that's part of the reason we only took 12 attempts.

It's clear, however, that you agree with Chis and think that giving up 51 points in the 2nd half is "extremely high level" defense. I disagree.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I think we have to win the next 4, maybe 5 to get in. But I don't see that as impossible.
If the play like they have the past 3 games:

Home vs PSU- Win
At NW-Win
Home vs Illinois-Win

19-12 going into BTT. For sure need a win and maybe 2 but 20-13 they are a coin toss to get in. Tune into Selection Sunday!

Reactions: DirtyJohns97
there were a few times where we built decent leads where we looked really good. Excellent passing, decent rebounding, solid shooting. But our lack of depth and athleticism could not overcome a tough Illinois team. The only meaningful subs were PMac and bits of Dembele and Harding.
I said in game thread. Sandfort missed 3 from a nice behind back pass from Perkins and Illinois hits a 3 and missed fast break and Illinois hits 2 fts. Massive swing around the 7-9 minute mark of 2nd half.

Last edited:
Reactions: BirdistheWord
We shot 48% for the game. That's good, and I pointed that out. You, however, incorrectly stated that I didn't focus on one positive at all.

And I agree with you; we are a poor 3 point shooting team and that's part of the reason we only took 12 attempts.

It's clear, however, that you agree with Chis and think that giving up 51 points in the 2nd half is "extremely high level" defense. I disagree.
So when I said we struggled all game defensively that means I agree we played high level defense? Read my post. Please. I literally said we struggled all game defensively.

That being said, Illinois scores a lot of points on everyone, including us. When both teams are run and fun then more points will be scored. But at no point did I say we had extremely high level defense. I said we struggle the whole game defensively.

Want to correct anything else I said?

So when I said we struggled all game defensively that means I agree we played high level defense? Read my post. Please. I literally said we struggled all game defensively.

That being said, Illinois scores a lot of points on everyone, including us. When both teams are run and fun then more points will be scored. But at no point did I say we had extremely high level defense. I said we struggle the whole game defensively.

Want to correct anything else I said?

I stand corrected. It appears you don't agree with Chishawk1425's incredibly bad take that giving up 51 points in the 2nd half is "extremely high level" defense.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
I'd say maybe not Pmac. I think Fran is going going to tell him what a vital piece he would be with next year's team and convince him to come back just like he did with Connor. Especially since its looking like it will be his last chance to have a son play for him

I hope I'm wrong but after 7 years of nepotism that's what I'm expecting

I'd say maybe not Pmac. I think Fran is going going to tell him what a vital piece he would be with next year's team and convince him to come back just like he did with Connor. Especially since its looking like it will be his last chance to have a son play for him

I hope I'm wrong but after 7 years of nepotism that's what I'm expecting
Pmac is not returning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT