ADVERTISEMENT

Hats off Hawks

We have a great young base, add in Koch and hopefully Perkins returns. Need a transfer or 2 at Guard or Forward this is a damn good team next season. I still think they can make the Dance this season.
Sandfort is not going pro after this year, unless he wants to share a room with Joe Wieskamp. He can't guard a flee and his rebounding will become non extinct against the bigger players. Having just one attribute is not going to keep him in the NBA.
Perkins may or may not come back, we'll see but if you think Fran is going to pick a athletic guard from the portal that does it all, score, rebounds, and plays defense you're smoking too much dope or are you thinking along the lines of a player like Magic Johnson, he's not out there either. If anything I can see Fran picking up anther 6-9 forward from a mid major that can't rebound and play defense and promising him starter minutes, now that's more likely then getting a guard better then Harding or Bowen. Fran has no clue how to use the portal....

Sandfort is not going pro after this year, unless he wants to share a room with Joe Wieskamp. He can't guard a flee and his rebounding will become non extinct against the bigger players. Having just one attribute is not going to keep him in the NBA.
Perkins may or may not come back, we'll see but if you think Fran is going to pick a athletic guard from the portal that does it all, score, rebounds, and plays defense you're smoking too much dope or are you thinking along the lines of a player like Magic Johnson, he's not out there either. If anything I can see Fran picking up anther 6-9 forward from a mid major that can't rebound and play defense and promising him starter minutes, now that's more likely then getting a guard better then Harding or Bowen. Fran has no clue how to use the portal....

And this will continue to keep the program muddled in mediocrity. Covid hurt fran more than anyone. Keeping average people around prevented the growth of others. I want all seniors gone. Perkins included.
If Perkins comes back we’ll still have the same average team. Guards will lose experience to Perkins which will put us behind in subsequent years.

Fran needs to let them go and get better coaching. Maybe pmac will learn he has to play hard 100% of the time. Maybe they can go in to professional careers somewhere.
This makes zero sense whatsoever.

They are so inconsistent. No result surprises me. Not mad. Just what they’ve done all year. They could already be a 20 win team. But they could also be a 12 win team right now. So 16-12 is about right.

When you rely so heavily on your offense it leads to this. Defense is constant. But Iowa doesn’t value it enough. I want them to but it’s also hit and miss. 71 against MSU. 95 today.

Last edited:
They are so inconsistent. No result surprises me. Not mad. Just what they’ve done all year. They could already be a 20 win team. But they could also be a 12 win team right now. So 16-12 is about right.
Bingo. They've also improved. This team today isn't losing at home to MD or Michigan or even at IU either.

would not surprise me one bit if both PMac and Tony came back for one more year.

in October, however, both stated that they expected this to be their final year at Iowa.
I think it would be extremely difficult to turn down an additional year of college basketball if you don't have nba options.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Game was lost when we couldn’t extend the lead with their entire bench in. Sandfort had a couple turn arounds he usually makes.
Still go back to Sandfort missed 3 and Illini made 3 and a few possessions later missed fastbreak opportunity and Illini shooting fts right after. Massive swing.

Quality of play counts---yes. Celebrating effort in a loss is a bit like a participation award. I think the Hawks put up a pretty good effort and played about as hard as they can but in the end they did lose.

You think posters are Dicks just because they have a differing view than you have. You seem to pick a part posts all the time based on only your opinion and don't eally ever say anyting about Iowa basketball or football. I wouldn't call you a Dick because of what you post---you're not a dick, but I think you are wrong most of the time and I don't think you are even a sports fan, but that is my opinion.

You're free to have your opinion. Calling someone a Dick is a reflection on you that I don't think makes you look superior.
Fair comeback. I retract the “dicks” comment and apologize for it.

On here and in life, I am just so disgusted by knee-jerk negativity. It makes those of us trying to improve things have to work harder than need be.

I do pick apart posts because I think it can expose poor thinking (not opinions).

I am a huge sports fan and have been since about 1968.

On here and in life, I am just so disgusted by knee-jerk negativity. It makes those of us trying to improve things have to work harder than need be.
One week ago the consensus was Iowa needed to finish the season 5-1 to make the tourney and today's game was most likely the 1 loss.

@Minnesota was also upgraded to a Q1 win this week. The sky isn't falling yet. This forum, like every other one on the internet, is built with knee-jerk negativity. And I agree with your sentiment.

75-75 game and we sit in a zone and surrender a wide open 3 pointer without a defender within 6 feet of the shooter. This team is toast until we get a coach that puts an emphasis on defense. I like our personnel, but they need to be challenged to play much better defense in crunch time.

75-75 game and we sit in a zone and surrender a wide open 3 pointer without a defender within 6 feet of the shooter. This team is toast until we get a coach that puts an emphasis on defense. I like our personnel, but they need to be challenged to play much better defense in crunch time.

In the first half Iowa shot 62% overall and 50% from 3 and still trailed 44-43.

We gotta be able to get stops when our offense isn't producing (in the 2nd half we shot only 35%) but how often does that ever happen?

Speaking of not getting stops, it was a 75-75 game with 5:53 to go. Illinois then outscored us 20-10 to finish us off at 95-85.

We gave up 51 points in the 2nd half.

Iowa shot 48% for the game, but just 35% in the 2nd half. Illinois shot 50% in the 2nd half.

Iowa shooting, broken down (no pun intended):

............................1st ...............2nd
...........................Half..............Half......OVERALL
From 3.....3-6 (50%).......1-6 (17%)......4-12 (33%)
From 2...15-23 (65%)...11-28 (39%)...26-51 (51%)
........................................................................................
...............18-29 (62%)...12-34 (35%)..30-63 (48%)

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
When Your Tourney Season is basically on the line and You get 95 dropped on You that is either zero coaching on the defensive end and/or Players who are dogs and play with zero effort on the defensive end, You choose . Iowa had multiple NBA talent Players in recent Years and underachieved and it all goes back to Coaching and defense, Iowa has neither . Refs really make no difference in the grand scheme

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
When Your Tourney Season is basically on the line and You get 95 dropped on You that is either zero coaching on the defensive end and/or Players who are dogs and play with zero effort on the defensive end, You choose . Iowa had multiple NBA talent Players in recent Years and underachieved and it all goes back to Coaching and defense, Iowa has neither .
Lol. K

When Your Tourney Season is basically on the line and You get 95 dropped on You that is either zero coaching on the defensive end and/or Players who are dogs and play with zero effort on the defensive end, You choose . Iowa had multiple NBA talent Players in recent Years and underachieved and it all goes back to Coaching and defense, Iowa has neither . Refs really make no difference in the grand scheme
We just don’t have the horses. It was a 6 man rotation for the most part. Away game. They are a pretty good team. There are other games we definitely should have won.

We just don’t have the horses. It was a 6 man rotation for the most part. Away game. They are a pretty good team. There are other games we definitely should have won.
This.
Underwood has assembled a deep athletic roster which had guys who had not done much for months come off the bench and be significant contributors against Iowa.
We just could not match the firepower.
PU and Illini are clearly the elite teams in this league with NW and Wis next tier.
Not sure if Underwood has a high NIL budget or how he gets so many solid players willing to sit on the bench but clearly Hawks have to work towards that scenario.

We were very solid for 35 minutes in what is probably the 2nd toughest road environs in league.
Call me a pushover but I was impressed by how we hung tough yesterday.
I had us winning 14 or less in preseason and assumed a loss at Illini so not going to move goalposts now.

Keep perk and add Tadjo and Koch and a portal big and we will be right back near the top of the league next year.

Reactions: BirdistheWord
This.
Underwood has assembled a deep athletic roster which had guys who had not done much for months come off the bench and be significant contributors against Iowa.
We just could not match the firepower.
PU and Illini are clearly the elite teams in this league with NW and Wis next tier.
Not sure if Underwood has a high NIL budget or how he gets so many solid players willing to sit on the bench but clearly Hawks have to work towards that scenario.

We were very solid for 35 minutes in what is probably the 2nd toughest road environs in league.
Call me a pushover but I was impressed by how we hung tough yesterday.
I had us winning 14 or less in preseason and assumed a loss at Illini so not going to move goalposts now.

Keep perk and add Tadjo and Koch and a portal big and we will be right back near the top of the league next year.
Yes, agree on your points. I was surprised how close it was for 35 minutes too, we even had a few moments where we started building leads. It was a better played version of other games like both MD games (and others) where we looked good for 30-35 minutes but could not finish.

I am from suburban Chicago and the Illini have clear advantages just from Chicago area alone. There is so much talent. Throw in St. Louis, Peoria, Springfield, etc. and they have a lot to choose from locally. IL is known as more of a basketball school and while not going to final 4's they have had more success than we have. Not sure on NIL but would not be shocked if they had more resources to leverage.

Fran does try and go after a lot of 4/5 star players outside the state, but we just dont seem to close on enough of them. I like Krikke on offense but his overall game is just not enough. Guys like Bowen who have flatlined really hurt too.

Non extinct. That's good, right?

• Haha
Reactions: eyesofhawk
PMac is 100% gone after this season. Krikke as well, rest can and hopefully do return.
Word is PMac is considering his Covid year per KXNO last week. Makes sense since Jack has one more year of high school before he probably plays at ND and I’d think Fran and Margaret leave IC to go watch him play there. I like PMac but his level of play as a senior is so inconsistent game to game that you can’t rely on him to show up and lead this team like you can in true freshman Owen Freeman with the effort.

Regarding your initial post, I like to see the improved play but it shouldn’t take this long into the season to be better. And in year 14 of Fran’s tenure shouldn’t be this Dr Jekyl/Mr Hyde type of season. You just don’t know what you are going to get with his teams from year to year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT