ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk defense on ISU TD drive and the last drive; what did you notice and think?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I thought with the 20-6 lead, PParker went with a little soft prevent, maybe Kirk told him to, or the players were a little cautious in their pass coverage. I noticed the Dbacks were off a couple yards even after the receivers went downfield 5-10 yards and the Dbacks were not tight to break up passes. The defense was doing more umbrella type coverage and leaving the short flats horizontal field open so as to rush up and tackle receivers in bounds. Even the Dline looked like they were in just pass rush contain mode and a few running plays gouged them.

Now with the score 20-13 isu gets the ball back and PParker and his great unit just squash and put the clamps on the clowns. I really was surprised on 4th and 1 they didnt do a rollout run pass option to 3 receivers on that side. Running into the Iowa defense on a key 4th and short is only a 60-40 chance for offenses.

Would you have rather seen the hawks try to shut down ISU to start their next to last possession with a more attacking defense or the way they played it?

The clock running on first downs helped take close to a couple minutes off or at least a minute.

Parker seemed very happy to let ISU burn 4m on a TD drive up by 14 knowing our offense would eat up some clock
I think it was more like 6 1/2 minutes but who knows. Anyway, when you do that you want to make them use 3 downs to make a first down and ISU was getting them cheaper and quicker than that.

I was OK with it. ISU was content to burn about 6:00, so we let them. And that left them with minimal chance at a win. Pretty smart defensive plan, I’d say.

I, too, was surprised that they ran it on 4th down. They were obviously hoping to spread us out and get us thinking pass. Looks great if it works but looks like a very bad idea if it doesn’t. Turns out Phil figured they’d do exactly what they did, as our guys were playing run all the way. That was a beautiful stop and a decisive way to end the game.

Reactions: Valholl
I know coaching at ISU is not easy, but when you don't have much talent because of poor recruiting, why try and play "conventional/safe" football?

You have to take chances and Lil Matty seems intimidated by Iowa.

Last edited:
I know coaching at ISU is not easy, but when you don't have much talent because of poor recruiting, why try and play "conventional/safe" football?

You have to take chances and Lil Matty seems intimated by Iowa.
Campbell put a team with far inferior talent and a very inexperienced QB in a situation to tie the game. They lose by 20 tossing the ball around on Iowas D. Probably why Matt C makes millions coaching and you don't. Playing slow conventional/safe football keeps lesser talented teams in games. You should know that being an Iowa fan. It's kirk 101.

Campbell put a team with far inferior talent and a very inexperienced QB in a situation to tie the game. They lose by 20 tossing the ball around on Iowas D. Probably why Matt C makes millions coaching and you don't. Playing slow conventional/safe football keeps lesser talented teams in games. You should know that being an Iowa fan. It's kirk 101.
He lost to Iowa when he had Purdy and Hall.

What the hell are you talking about? Lil Matty plays the same game plan every year against Iowa.

Do you actually watch the games?
Asking for a friend.

Iowa played a lot of our standard bend-but-not-break. The idea was to keep everything in front of us. I was a little surprised that he decided to blitz more when the Cyclones got deeper in our territory.

Yeah, on the 4th down play I like to see a 5th pass rusher but then maybe man on the widest receivers and 4 in zone in the middle. I couldnt believe blitzing so many guys

He lost to Iowa when he had Purdy and Hall.

What the hell are you talking about? Lil Matty plays the same game plan every year against Iowa.

Do you actually watch the games?
Asking for a friend.
Good lord you're dumb. Seriously, I think you have special needs. Purdy threw the ball 27 times for 138 yards and 3 interceptions against Iowas elite D. Yep, they should have opened it up thrown it 50 times that game. See yourself out.

You have to take chances and Lil Matty seems intimidated by Iowa.

They have talent on defense, not as much as us, but they have way better talent defensively than I have given them credit for. TJ Tampa is very good !

Also at Rb….not sure what we didn’t like about Abu Sama to not offer him?

But their WRs have gone big time down hill IMO & QB play is suspect.

I thought with the 20-6 lead, PParker went with a little soft prevent, maybe Kirk told him to, or the players were a little cautious in their pass coverage. I noticed the Dbacks were off a couple yards even after the receivers went downfield 5-10 yards and the Dbacks were not tight to break up passes. The defense was doing more umbrella type coverage and leaving the short flats horizontal field open so as to rush up and tackle receivers in bounds. Even the Dline looked like they were in just pass rush contain mode and a few running plays gouged them.

Now with the score 20-13 isu gets the ball back and PParker and his great unit just squash and put the clamps on the clowns. I really was surprised on 4th and 1 they didnt do a rollout run pass option to 3 receivers on that side. Running into the Iowa defense on a key 4th and short is only a 60-40 chance for offenses.

Would you have rather seen the hawks try to shut down ISU to start their next to last possession with a more attacking defense or the way they played it?

The clock running on first downs helped take close to a couple minutes off or at least a minute.
I don't think Kirk tells Phil what to do.

Reactions: uihawk82
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT