ADVERTISEMENT

Hawk fans, what is an acceptable win/loss record each year for Iowa?

I don't expect to allow only 10 points to a bad ISU team and lose. I dont expect to allow 9 points vs Illinois and lose. I expect more than 3 points when starting a drive at opponents 5 yard line. I expect the coaches to try and improve a bad offense during the off season.

I'd say for an established program and staff the for a program like Iowa should be one year not going to a bowl, one 7 win season, one 8 win season, one 9 win season, one 10+ win season.

7 -8 wins …. But having said that last year wasn’t fun to watch.
I want some entertainment value with the product both on the field and in the stadium.. Right now we just aren’t fun to watch

It depends on the year and the schedule.

Beyond wins and losses is the quality of the product on the field. What would be better, a 7-3 yawn of a win vs. SDSU to open the season or a competitive opening loss to say Oregon of the 42-38 variety? Well, a loss is never good, but I know which game would be more enjoyable to watch and would bode well for the rest of the season, and it sure as hell isn’t the former.

I think that’s the part of the W/L discussion that gets overlooked. Yeah, great, Iowa beat Nebraska by 3 points, but they laid an egg during the bowl game.
A pretty loss is better than an ugly win. Show me any football coach in the universe that thinks that.

It depends on the year and the schedule.

Beyond wins and losses is the quality of the product on the field. What would be better, a 7-3 yawn of a win vs. SDSU to open the season or a competitive opening loss to say Oregon of the 42-38 variety? Well, a loss is never good, but I know which game would be more enjoyable to watch and would bode well for the rest of the season, and it sure as hell isn’t the former.

I think that’s the part of the W/L discussion that gets overlooked. Yeah, great, Iowa beat Nebraska by 3 points, but they laid an egg during the bowl game.

This makes me think of 1990. Hawks played at Miami when they were a juggernaut. They lost but showed promise. They went on to play in the Rose Bowl that year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT