ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women’s BBall Season 2021-2022

I wish when the NCAA granted that covid year, it would have been just for the senior class of 2020-2021, Insted of all 4 classes, would have made things a lot easier for the coaches.
I agree with this. It might give us an advantage the next year or two so that's great I guess, but it also negatively impacts several classes.

I'm glad Tomi and Logan get the opportunity to look for playing time elsewhere, but it also means that if they find a home, they will be taking a roster spot that could've been used on an incoming freshman (or on another transfer). Tomi and Logan are far from the only players that will choose that route. The net impact of that will be players in the 2022 class and transfers that won't get a playing opportunity (and a scholarship) they otherwise would have because of that rule.

I also don't think the rule makes a ton of sense. If anything, the 2019-2020 seniors were impacted more than the 2020-2021 seniors, because their careers were abruptly ended by Covid, and they didn't get to play in their post-season tournaments. The 2020-2021 season wasn't a full schedule, and didn't have fans, but at least those seniors got post-season tournaments.

Ashley Joens just announced she’s returning next season. Should be a sold out game when Iowa State plays at Carver next season.
Surprising as the move is not likely to improve her draft stock much. Either she must feel ISU has unfinished business or just wants another year to play with her sister.

Surprising as the move is not likely to improve her draft stock much. Either she must feel ISU has unfinished business or just wants another year to play with her sister.
I'm far from a WNBA expert, but I question how well her game will translate to the WNBA. She has the height of a wing, but probably lacks the speed and athleticism to play the position well. She'd be an undersized 4, and again I'm not sure she has the athleticism to make up for that height difference. I don't think she's even considered a good defender in college, so she'll probably be a bad defender in the WNBA.

She does shoot threes and free throws fairly well, which is a plus, but her percentage on 2-point shots was remarkably bad this year. And I don't think her iso-ball will work well at the next level.

All together, she's a player without a natural position and lacking athleticism and defense. Offense is her strong suit, but key parts of her offensive game probably won't translate to the next level either. I'm not sure she'll be more than a late first round pick in any draft class, and I don't think it's guaranteed she will stick in the league long. Coming back at least gives her a guaranteed extra year at a level where she can be a star.

Was she one of the players that Oregon's coach blamed for their first round loss? Is Oregon going the way of Washington, getting into a rapid decline after riding the star power into a Final Four?

Was she one of the players that Oregon's coach blamed for their first round loss? Is Oregon going the way of Washington, getting into a rapid decline after riding the star power into a Final Four?
The Oregon Coach has some real issues -- Two seasons ago he recruited five 5 Star Recruits. Now only one remains, one left last year and three have announced they are leaving this year. In addition his top player is leaving for the WNBA even though she has eligibility left. His top assistant (Mark Campbell), who many insiders felt was the real key behind Oregon's success, left after last season to take over the Sacramento State program. He seems to have trouble relating to his players and has had conflicts with opposing coaches and officials (especially women). He does have 4 of the top 60 players coming in.

Managing a team full of star players (especially young ones) is harder than most think. That's why what Geno Auriemma has built at UConn is so incredible. I believe he has three #1 overall recruits on his roster currently. Not only do they manage to coexist in the same offense, but they also seem to have good chemistry. Most coaches wouldn't get nearly the same results he has even with similar talent.

Managing a team full of star players (especially young ones) is harder than most think. That's why what Geno Auriemma has built at UConn is so incredible. I believe he has three #1 overall recruits on his roster currently. Not only do they manage to coexist in the same offense, but they also seem to have good chemistry. Most coaches wouldn't get nearly the same results he has even with similar talent.
Well then he should give away some of those top recruits so other programs can win more, and we don't always have to see UConn competing for championships..............

Reactions: crstuff

Evidence - Kia Stokes, maybe not a #1 in her class. but she stayed 4 years as I recall.

Evidence - Kia Stokes, maybe not a #1 in her class. but she stayed 4 years as I recall.
Kia said when she signed with UConn that she wanted to play for a team that could win a championship. That is the appeal of Auriemma. She was part of three there. Ironically, she never started for UConn in four years but then did in the WNBA for the New York Liberty. She went from one extreme to the other.

Greta Kampschroeder is reportedly in the transfer portal. She was ranked top 20 in her class and chose Oregon State over Iowa and Stanford. She also played for All Iowa Attack for a time where she was teammates with... Caitlin Clark (and Feuerbach and Wetering).

This situation seems remarkably similar to Feuerbach last year (a player who played with Clark and who the coaches should be familiar with). Not sure if the coaches would be interested or not. She didn't exactly set the world on fire at Oregon State.

Still, you don't get to at top 20 players in their class that often. If we want to truly compete for a Final Four, it's probably worth making a call.

We need an athletic post for defensive purposes, and we need an athletic slashing 2 guard that can drive and score and take pressure off Clark.

That's really all we can ask for given what we have and aren't losing any time soon.

They have 2 years to get that in order to build a roster capable of a possible Final Four run.

That and getting better at defense and convincing the players to make an effort at rebounding.

Reactions: TKingpin
Greta Kampschroeder is reportedly in the transfer portal. She was ranked top 20 in her class and chose Oregon State over Iowa and Stanford. She also played for All Iowa Attack for a time where she was teammates with... Caitlin Clark (and Feuerbach and Wetering).

This situation seems remarkably similar to Feuerbach last year (a player who played with Clark and who the coaches should be familiar with). Not sure if the coaches would be interested or not. She didn't exactly set the world on fire at Oregon State.

Still, you don't get to at top 20 players in their class that often. If we want to truly compete for a Final Four, it's probably worth making a call.
Will be interesting to see if Illinois with a good new coach is involved here.

Women's Naismith award to be announced tomorrow. Aliyah Boston from South Carolina is the odds on favorite to win it. Travesty in my opinion as Caitlin Clark has far better stats including leading the nation in scoring and assists. By comparison, Boston is 89th in scoring. She's a big 6-5 post player that gets all of her baskets facing up a foot from the basket.

Reactions: crstuff and mphawk
Women's Naismith award to be announced tomorrow. Aliyah Boston from South Carolina is the odds on favorite to win it. Travesty in my opinion as Caitlin Clark has far better stats including leading the nation in scoring and assists. By comparison, Boston is 89th in scoring. She's a big 6-5 post player that gets all of her baskets facing up a foot from the basket.
I agree Boston is just big and not the best BBall player IMO

I don't see Iowa adding any players via the transfer portal. Not that we shouldn't add a player, but I don't see Bluder pursuing anyone. We could use another PG but it's not going to happen. Bluder has not gone to the portal very often. I think she would have let Tomi come back if she was going to use the last scholly.

Reactions: cyberhawk
If Bluder is interested, Kampschroeder would at a minimum help depth. Even though her stats are not as great as expected, as a top recruit, she probably has very good athleticism... And Iowa needs defense and rebounding improvements. And someone who can handle the ball who isn't named Clark.

I agree that adding a transfer is probably pretty low odds wise, but I think if there is a name to keep an eye on, Greta is the one. Iowa was a finalist out of HS and she fits the rotational guard profile.

I don't see Iowa adding any players via the transfer portal. Not that we shouldn't add a player, but I don't see Bluder pursuing anyone. We could use another PG but it's not going to happen. Bluder has not gone to the portal very often. I think she would have let Tomi come back if she was going to use the last scholly.
Agreed.... 14 will be on scholarship next year. I just don't see any path to significant playing time that would appeal to a transfer. However, injuries and our own portal entries are always a possibility so who knows. Next season is a long way off.

Agreed.... 14 will be on scholarship next year. I just don't see any path to significant playing time that would appeal to a transfer. However, injuries and our own portal entries are always a possibility so who knows. Next season is a long way off.
I agree I don't see us picking up any transfers if none of the players on our current roster transfer out. When Kylie transferred in both Lauren and Megan transferred out and given that Lauren ended our season, not sure if Bluder wants to take the same risk haha.

If Greta really wanted to come to Iowa she would have to be alright with dealing with the same fate that Kylie did which was go from being a starter to being a role player on the bench.

I agree I don't see us picking up any transfers if none of the players on our current roster transfer out. When Kylie transferred in both Lauren and Megan transferred out and given that Lauren ended our season, not sure if Bluder wants to take the same risk haha.

If Greta really wanted to come to Iowa she would have to be alright with dealing with the same fate that Kylie did which was go from being a starter to being a role player on the bench.
I don't think Megan's transfer was related to Kylie (I actually thought Megan announced she was leaving before Kylie entered the portal, but I could be misremembering). Lauren's certainly was related to Kylie coming in.

In regard to transfers, I'm not sure history is the best indication for two reasons. 1) The college landscape has changed dramatically in the last few years. Transfers are now a reality. If you aren't actively considering transfers, you're falling behind. 2) We have a two year window now to take the program to new heights. The coaches should be doing everything in their power to improve the roster for those two years. If the coaches think Greta would improve the roster, and if she is okay with not being guaranteed a starting position, I think they have to try.

I don't think Megan's transfer was related to Kylie (I actually thought Megan announced she was leaving before Kylie entered the portal, but I could be misremembering). Lauren's certainly was related to Kylie coming in.

In regard to transfers, I'm not sure history is the best indication for two reasons. 1) The college landscape has changed dramatically in the last few years. Transfers are now a reality. If you aren't actively considering transfers, you're falling behind. 2) We have a two year window now to take the program to new heights. The coaches should be doing everything in their power to improve the roster for those two years. If the coaches think Greta would improve the roster, and if she is okay with not being guaranteed a starting position, I think they have to try.

1) I disagree without transfers you are falling behind. Build a team like Lisa, from the ground up, or accept transfers like a few others with multiple transfers each year. When and if Lisa starts the transfer route, then I'm done with Iowa WBB. Same for the MBB.

1) I disagree without transfers you are falling behind. Build a team like Lisa, from the ground up, or accept transfers like a few others with multiple transfers each year. When and if Lisa starts the transfer route, then I'm done with Iowa WBB. Same for the MBB.
There's a difference between being a team that builds primarily through the portal and being one that supplements the roster with portal additions. I'm advocating for the latter.

We have an issue currently at the 2 and 3 positions. Sometimes our current starters there are great. Sometimes, they are almost invisible. Same thing with our depth players at those positions. I hope most games Kate looks like the player who dominated the Big Ten Tournament. I hope Gabbie returns to last year's form. McCabe could be the perfect 2 for our system. Kylie and Sydney could reach their potential and become impact players.

But none of those things are guaranteed. We currently have the opportunity to add into that mix a player who was top 20 in her class. Who Stanford (the reigning national champion) thought could help their roster. There's no guarantee she will come to Iowa. Or that she will truly make a difference if she does come. But if we want to truly compete for a Final Four, I think she's the type of player we need to try to add.

If Bluder is interested, Kampschroeder would at a minimum help depth. Even though her stats are not as great as expected, as a top recruit, she probably has very good athleticism... And Iowa needs defense and rebounding improvements. And someone who can handle the ball who isn't named Clark.
I'll take Weterings athleticism over Gretta anytime.

Gretta quit Attack, just like she's quitting Oregon.

I'll take Weterings athleticism over Gretta anytime.

Gretta quit Attack, just like she's quitting Oregon.
Do you have specific information about her situation? Because if not, it seems like you are making a character judgment about her without any info. From where I sit, that looks extremely unfair, not least of which because she is 18 or 19 years old.

All Iowa Attack's HQ is 5 hours from Greta's home. Corvallis is over 2,000 miles away from her home. Maybe she just wanted to be closer to home in both cases. Or maybe she thought she could find a better situation.

I don't think Lauren Jensen or Megan Meyer quit on Iowa. I think they went somewhere else to find a better situation. It's hard to argue Jensen hasn't given this season.

The main issue I see is that Iowa with its current player makeup is not a final 4 team, with a possible elite 8 as the absolute ceiling. If there is a player in the portal that could elevate Iowa to that level why not go for it. I have no idea if Gretta fills that bill or if there is mutual interest. You can jolly well bet that the elites will be combing the portal for players that will make them even better. My fear is that Lisa is content with the current players and doesn’t want to rock the boat. That mindset is why Clark most likely will never sniff the final 4.

Do you have specific information about her situation? Because if not, it seems like you are making a character judgment about her without any info. From where I sit, that looks extremely unfair, not least of which because she is 18 or 19 years old.

All Iowa Attack's HQ is 5 hours from Greta's home. Corvallis is over 2,000 miles away from her home. Maybe she just wanted to be closer to home in both cases. Or maybe she thought she could find a better situation.

I don't think Lauren Jensen or Megan Meyer quit on Iowa. I think they went somewhere else to find a better situation. It's hard to argue Jensen hasn't given this season.

If Lisa didn't encourage them to leave, then they quit on Iowa.

If you look at the teams that are in the final four this year, you'll see why Iowa will never make a final four. One word: defense. All four of the teams are in the top 10% in BOTH offense and defense (pts/game and opp. pts/game) with the exception of SC being in the top 11-33% on offense.

One reason why UConn makes that work is they don't fill up their roster. Many years they (UConn) leave schollies unfilled. Bluder often does the same.

If you look at the teams that are in the final four this year, you'll see why Iowa will never make a final four. One word: defense. All four of the teams are in the top 10% in BOTH offense and defense (pts/game and opp. pts/game) with the exception of SC being in the top 11-33% on offense.
Alternatively, Michigan came very close to making the Final Four, and we blew Michigan out just a few weeks ago. Would it take favorable circumstances for Iowa to make the Final Four? Yes. But it's possible with this current roster.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT