ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

If I recall correctly, there were a couple games early last season for which the BTN+ stream started late due to technical difficulties on their end. But it seemed to be ironed out for the rest of the season. In general I've had good experiences with it.

Nice little bonus of signing up today is there is a Field Hockey game starting at 2....4 Iowa time

Can someone shed light on Edigar’s strengths? She was so highly touted out of high school — Top 50 according to ESPN. Yet she is likely 3rd in line at best at the 4 and 4th in line at the 5 at best. I wasn’t as heavily invested in WBB to pay attention to recruits still in HS til last season tbh.

No disrespect meant, I am hopeful she will become an impact player. I will always cheer for her as a Hawkeye, I’m just curious bc I have heard quite a bit about every freshman / sophomore player but have heard little about her and barely seen her play. I get that she is only starting her soph year so I shouldnt expect her to be starting, but I do feel like I could make a case for Affolter, McCabe, Stuelke, O’Grady being part of the regular rotation just based on the comments here. But I still know little about Edigar.

What made her stand out so in HS? How did Bluder see her fitting into the lineup?

Can someone shed light on Edigar’s strengths? She was so highly touted out of high school — Top 50 according to ESPN. Yet she is likely 3rd in line at best at the 4 and 4th in line at the 5 at best. I wasn’t as heavily invested in WBB to pay attention to recruits still in HS til last season tbh.

No disrespect meant, I am hopeful she will become an impact player. I will always cheer for her as a Hawkeye, I’m just curious bc I have heard quite a bit about every freshman / sophomore player but have heard little about her and barely seen her play. I get that she is only starting her soph year so I shouldnt expect her to be starting, but I do feel like I could make a case for Affolter, McCabe, Stuelke, O’Grady being part of the regular rotation just based on the comments here. But I still know little about Edigar.

What made her stand out so in HS? How did Bluder see her fitting into the lineup?
More of an undersized 5. Excellent footwork in the post. Plays good post defense. I really think she needs a redshirt year. She's going to have to work on her range and lateral quickness. She's probably a career backup with the talent we have on the team but she'll bring toughness and hustle. She also plays with a lot of attitude and is pretty fearless playing defense in the post. She's a solid player and would likely be starting at a smaller school.

I believe she was recruited as a 4/5.

As Gabe said she was a 4 when she committed and coming out of high school. She put on some size which is why she was moved to the 5 when arriving pre-freshmen year. She has the best shooting range of all the current 5's but the depth there is her biggest challenge which is why redshirting probably wouldn't help much.

Thoughts on the depth chart after watching the exhibition game:

Clark/Davis
Marshall
/McCabe (or more Davis)?
Martin/Affolter or Wetering? (or more Stuelke?)
Warnock/Stuelke/Gyamfi
Czinano/O'Grady or Goodman?/Ediger

Bold indicates a lock as a rotation player (in my humble opinion).

The biggest questions are at the 3 and the 5 for me. At the 5 this is a "good" problem. O'Grady offers shot blocking and finnese but Goodman offers strength and physicality. I anticipate O'Grady being first off the bench for now, but if she is being too passive, Sharon comes in. Ediger is solid in her own right.

At the 3 I'm a bit more worried. This is where we will miss Tomi and Kylie. For someone coming off an ACL and prior to that a concussion, I was very impressed by Wetering's defense perimeter quickness and how well she played in the flow of the offense. But she has almost no live game experience in the last 2.5 years so I don't know what her ceiling and floor are. Affolter is strong and aggressive but a bit reckless and seems to try to do too much. Neither of them have a proven outside shot as far as I'm aware. If Stuelke is quick enough to guard on the perimeter, I'm curious what she could do at the 3, too.

At the 2, my only question is whether McCabe becomes a rotation player or if Davis backs up both the 1 and the 2. Whoever is better on defense will go a long way in answering that. As long as everyone stays healthy, this is a smaller question for me though.

Any thoughts?

I love the app….. you can get the Iowa only subscription for 9.99 a month and cancel anytime….. I personally highly recommend it for watching the Iowa women and wrestling…… track and field baseball volleyball

I don’t think they do a free trial….. way I see it one game makes it worth the 10 bucks
I’ve never found a free trial; however, I’ve been a selective monthly subscriber for as long as they’ve offered the monthly option. I only subscribe during bb season - just started my subscription today to watch today’s exhibition, and I’ll renew until the season is over. I’ve found that the app has improved greatly since the early years. I think most problems are on the university’s or user’s end and not the app.

Last season I only accessed BTN+ thru the Roku Tv app, I don’t remember having many problems. Maybe bc I live on the east coast? Maybe internet connection?
Agreed - I replied to an earlier post and it seems most issues I’ve had have been on my end or the university’s broadcast. Most issues recently seem to be on my end as this evening my Apple TV device wasn’t connected to the internet. Once I fixed that it was smooth sailing!

Also, REALLY enjoyed being able to watch the exhibition game tonight. Glad to see so many players, although I am surprised that Jada didn’t get into the game especially once the score was out of hand. Makes me wonder if she’s injured.

Reactions: natchrlman
Also, REALLY enjoyed being able to watch the exhibition game tonight. Glad to see so many players, although I am surprised that Jada didn’t get into the game especially once the score was out of hand. Makes me wonder if she’s injured.
She wasn’t dressed! Anyone have an idea why?

Agreed - I replied to an earlier post and it seems most issues I’ve had have been on my end or the university’s broadcast. Most issues recently seem to be on my end as this evening my Apple TV device wasn’t connected to the internet. Once I fixed that it was smooth sailing!

Thanks everyone for BTN+ advice.

My wife left me… to do onsite disaster recovery work. We have season tix, so I attend live, but she is stuck in a motel room in SEC country. I signed up for BTN+ for a month for her and it worked fine after I reminded her to refresh.

It looks like all the BTN+ games are at home, so we’ll go month-to-month until she gets home. We are part of a five couple cohort who met by sitting together at WBB games for years in section A rows 16-16. Last night, only two people showed up. We’re getting older, I guess, or the parade, or whatever.

Clark/Davis
Marshall
/McCabe (or more Davis)?
Warnock/Stuelke/Gyamfi

The biggest questions are at the 3 and the 5 for me. At the 5 this is a "good" problem. O'Grady offers shot blocking and finnese but Goodman offers strength and physicality. I anticipate O'Grady being first off the bench for now, but if she is being too passive, Sharon comes in. Ediger is solid in her own right.

At the 3 I'm a bit more worried. This is where we will miss Tomi and Kylie. For someone coming off an ACL and prior to that a concussion, I was very impressed by Wetering's defense perimeter quickness and how well she played in the flow of the offense. But she has almost no live game experience in the last 2.5 years so I don't know what her ceiling and floor are. Affolter is strong and aggressive but a bit reckless and seems to try to do too much. Neither of them have a proven outside shot as far as I'm aware. If Stuelke is quick enough to guard on the perimeter, I'm curious what she could do at the 3, too.

At the 2, my only question is whether McCabe becomes a rotation player or if Davis backs up both the 1 and the 2. Whoever is better on defense will go a long way in answering that. As long as everyone stays healthy, this is a smaller question for me though.

Any thoughts?
with Molly ,Gabbie and Clark on the floor I could see Clark at the 3 as well. McCabe is a shooter and gave really good effort but she needs to get stronger.

I knew we had depth and it’s Nebraska Kearny but wow didn’t matter who they put in at center….. you could sure see Jan Jensen’s coaching effect

Never dawned on me until some of you discussed how Jensens 6 player background influences how she coaches her post players…..it’s so apparent watching now…. not much dribbling

first extensive action I’ve seen from Wettering she’s a pretty good defender and scrappy player to my untrained eye

Stulke looks as advertised…. Davis is another scrapper

I’m really looking forward to watching this team

Thanks everyone for BTN+ advice.

My wife left me… to do onsite disaster recovery work. We have season tix, so I attend live, but she is stuck in a motel room in SEC country. I signed up for BTN+ for a month for her and it worked fine after I reminded her to refresh.

It looks like all the BTN+ games are at home, so we’ll go month-to-month until she gets home. We are part of a five couple cohort who met by sitting together at WBB games for years in section A rows 16-16. Last night, only two people showed up. We’re getting older, I guess, or the parade, or whatever.
glad it worked out for you…. I subscribe for bball and wrestling season and love it….. hope it continues after all these new television deals go through

Reactions: conn53victor

Worth a listen. Howard Megdal with The Next does great work covering women's basketball. This is the YouTube video version, but you can also listen wherever you get your podcasts -- just search Locked On Women's Basketball.
Best tidbits are how Bluder is working with Clark going into this season but there are other highlights as well:
  • Challenging Clark to try to get double digit assists this season as much as possible
  • Urging her to try to finish on two feet more often — decreases likelihood of injury and helps her get set up for transition defense more quickly. Bluder would like to see Clark end up on the floor less.
  • When asked about who will be Czinano’s main reserve, Bluder said she is waiting for O’Grady to get tougher and more physical. Mentioned how she was also a rly good volleyball player so she has that athleticism/quickness built in — but she is kind of quiet and being aggressive isn’t rly her personality. Seemed like quite the frank assessment tbh.
  • It was nice to see her express a touch of swag when asked about our pace of play. She said most teams just can’t keep up with us past the 3rd quarter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best tidbits are how Bluder is working with Clark going into this season but there are other highlights as well:
  • Challenging Clark to try to get double digit assists this season as much as possible
  • Urging her to try to finish on two feet more often — decreases likelihood of injury and helps her get set up for transition defense more quickly. Bluder would like to see Clark end up on the floor less.
  • When asked about who will be Czinano’s main reserve, Bluder said she is waiting for O’Grady to get tougher and more physical. Mentioned how she was also a rly good volleyball player so she has that athelticism/quickness built in — but she is kind of quiet and being aggressive isn’t rly her personality. Seemed like quite the frank assessment tbh.
  • It was nice to see her express a touch of swag when asked about our pace of play. She said most teams just can’t keep up with us past the 3rd quarter.
running 4 centers at teams could make that even harder... she can keep fresh legs in the whole game

If anyone is interested, in today's email newsletter from UI Athletics, it listed a current promo code of "IOWA22" for the annual school pass of B1G+, making it $40 for the year.
I tried using it today and it said the coupon code was not good for the Iowa annual subscription pass.

Clark/Davis
Marshall
/McCabe (or more Davis)?
Warnock/Stuelke/Gyamfi

Any thoughts?
There are 120 minutes per night between positions 1-3. My guess is in a competitive game Clark plays at least 35 of those. I'll pencil Marshall and Martin in for 25 minutes each, though frankly that's probably conservative.

We're already down to just 35 minutes (or fewer) to allocate after removing the starters. Next I'll say Davis gets at least 20 minutes per game. I think the coaches view her ball handling as a significant asset that they will use when Clark needs a break and at times with her on the floor to alleviate pressure.

So that leaves approximately 15 minutes for any of McCabe, Affolter, Wetering, or Stuelke. My guess right now is Affolter gets most of those. I'm intrigued by her defense and rebounding potential. I would love to see Stuelke break through and demand minutes at the 3. Her athleticism could be a game changer.

Reactions: anon_salmfilsntd0b
There are 120 minutes per night between positions 1-3. My guess is in a competitive game Clark plays at least 35 of those. I'll pencil Marshall and Martin in for 25 minutes each, though frankly that's probably conservative.

We're already down to just 35 minutes (or fewer) to allocate after removing the starters. Next I'll say Davis gets at least 20 minutes per game. I think the coaches view her ball handling as a significant asset that they will use when Clark needs a break and at times with her on the floor to alleviate pressure.

So that leaves approximately 15 minutes for any of McCabe, Affolter, Wetering, or Stuelke. My guess right now is Affolter gets most of those. I'm intrigued by her defense and rebounding potential. I would love to see Stuelke break through and demand minutes at the 3. Her athleticism could be a game changer.
I’d expect Stuelke to get her minutes at the 4 behind Warnock.

I think Stuelke’s expected contribution is still really up in the air. She certainly WILL contribute but I don’t think anyone knows how just yet.

The CW on here is that her ideal/suitable position is the 4. In the open practice weeks ago LB said she was playing Stuelke at the perimeter a lot. I took that to mean the 4 and the 3, which made sense to me bc we need more help at the 3 than the 4 or 5. Warnock is generally an essential part of the offense than Martin and we should expect her to get as many minutes as possible, Feuerbach (probably the best wing off the bench) is out, O’Grady is an option at the 4, and we’re stacked at the 5.

Then at media day LB said she is also playing Stuelke at the 5, which I at first took to mean that she is just hella talented and is giving O’Grady/Goodman a run for their money (probably in terms of rebounding but likely other aspects as well). But then she mentioned it again as a real possibility and during the scrimmage the announcer said she was the 5 in HS. Obvi college is a different game. But that was news to me.

I guess versatility and options are never bad things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: crstuff

You have to wonder if Marshall and Martin end up with fewer minutes as the season goes on, as so many have suggested.

I have not seen enough of Davis/Affolter/Stuelke/McCabe etc to evaluate their ceiling or predict their progression this season but a sizable number of fans foresee the “changing of the guard” creeping up on the team before next season starts.

Reactions: mphawk
I think Stuelke’s expected contribution is still really up in the air. She certainly WILL contribute but I don’t think anyone knows how just yet.

The CW on here is that her ideal/suitable position is the 4. In the open practice weeks ago LB said she was playing Stuelke at the perimeter a lot. I took that to mean the 4 and the 3, which made sense to me bc we need more help at the 3 than the 4 or 5. Warnock is generally an essential part of the offense than Martin and we should expect her to get as many minutes as possible, Feuerbach (probably the best wing off the bench) is out, O’Grady is an option at the 4, and we’re stacked at the 5.

Then at media day LB said she is also playing Stuelke at the 5, which I at first took to mean that she is just hella talented and is giving O’Grady/Goodman a run for their money (probably in terms of rebounding but likely other aspects as well). But then she mentioned it again as a real possibility and during the scrimmage the announcer said she was the 5 in HS. Obvi college is a different game. But that was news to me.

I remember her saying that this year Stuelke was 4/5 because the post and the wing is so different in this offence. next year she might be 3/4/5. Jada is projected at the 4 this year, and next year might play both the 3/4, but the focus is on just the 4 for this year. I think Molly splits the 1/2 and clark drops down to 30 minutes per game if the game is not close. I think Gabbies minutes drop by a little in order to allow McCabe and Molly to play, with Molly getting the lions share of the minutes. I think Shteah and Affolter split whatever is left over at the 3.

Reactions: cyberhawk

I think Warnock might also loose minutes because Stuelke is going to be hard to keep off the floor.

I tried using it today and it said the coupon code was not good for the Iowa annual subscription pass.
grhawk, I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. I wouldn't expect it to have expired within two days. Maybe the promo code is only applicable to certain email accounts, i.e. the accounts that receive the newsletter?

grhawk, I'm sorry that it didn't work for you. I wouldn't expect it to have expired within two days. Maybe the promo code is only applicable to certain email accounts, i.e. the accounts that receive the newsletter?
No problem. I'm not sure why it didn't work. I will try it again tomorrow. Thanks for posting it.

Coach Bluder on Hannah Stuelke…
“She doesn’t know how good she can be yet.”

Coach Bluder on Molly Davis…
“Molly’s addition to our team is such a big addition […] “I mean, I can’t emphasize that enough how valuable she is to our basketball team.”

Coach Bluder on the veterans’ attitude towards the newcomers…
“[The seniors] understand that [they] have to embrace the newcomers and the freshmen in order for us to be successful and they want to teach them, they want to embrace that and tuck them underneath their wing and help them along.”

Lisa has said that Hannah will get her minutes at the 4 or 5. Assignments in transition for the interior vs backcourt are different and didn’t want her getting confused. By playing the 4 also means Warnock could play the 3. Making that position deeper.

Reactions: cyberhawk
You have to wonder if Marshall and Martin end up with fewer minutes as the season goes on, as so many have suggested.

I have not seen enough of Davis/Affolter/Stuelke/McCabe etc to evaluate their ceiling or predict their progression this season but a sizable number of fans foresee the “changing of the guard” creeping up on the team before next season starts.
Marshall averaged 31.7 minutes per game last year and Martin averaged 30.0. The 25 I put them at earlier would already be a fairly substantial reduction. I'm hoping our depth is good enough to justify that reduction because I also think they could play harder in slightly reduced time (because they don't have to save themselves as much).

Marshall averaged 31.7 minutes per game last year and Martin averaged 30.0. The 25 I put them at earlier would already be a fairly substantial reduction. I'm hoping our depth is good enough to justify that reduction because I also think they could play harder in slightly reduced time (because they don't have to save themselves as much).
I was at the game on Friday and while I know the level of team they were playing (they are a good D2 team though - have a lot of experience from a tourney team back), the team looks like it is going to be deeper than last year, which will make them that much stronger.

It felt like last year the bench was a little limited but Davis and Stuelke are going to be impact players off the bench and likely the first two we see. I wouldn't be surprised if both of them are getting big time minutes and in at end of games as the year goes on - Davis is very crafty, a really good ball handler, and a veteran. Stuelke just looks the part of big time recruit and it nice she will be able to ease into things without too much pressure.

In addition, getting Wetering and Goodman back will be huge. O'Grady, Wetering, Goodman, and McCabe (she has a nice stroke) will be battling just to get time on the floor in the 8 - 11 spots.

National Player of the Year:
“I think it was Coach [Dawn] Staley that said this — I think that discussion is so great for women’s basketball. You want people to talk about who should be Player of the Year. That makes people excited about our game, makes people want to watch our game…
And that’s the most important thing. At the end of the day, you don’t play for those awards. That’s not why you play.”

Playing with Molly Davis:
“I think [she is] going to help us in a lot of ways [… and] we can play together, which I think is going to be a really interesting dynamic. […] Her basketball IQ is through the roof. So I think that’s going to help me off the ball,”…

Having Monica back:
“I was probably the happiest person in the world when I knew that Monika was coming back…[We] probably have one of the best connections in the country. We just really understand each other’s game well, play off of each other super well. I don’t always think that Monika gets the recognition she deserves.”

this is surprising….. welcome but surprising …. I thought BTN only broadcast games on BIG conference courts…..does this mean every one of their games will be broadcast somewhere?
BTN+ is not affiliated with ESPN+. The only game not accounted for currently is the Drake game on Nov 13.

Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT