ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

just reupped my BIG plus subscription….. man is that a good deal for wrestling and women’s bball

I have 6 season wrestling tickets but usually only drive up to a couple meets a year….. my friends and kids use them and I watch from the comfort of home….. not a fan of crowds and traffic anymore

definitely would like to see the women live a few times this year though
you have to be there to appreciate CC on the fast breaks, her court awareness and speed are amazing.

Reactions: natchrlman
Jan posted a story on Instagram featuring Kate…who is wearing a face guard…did she break her nose?

Kind of OT, but since we play ISU thought I would post it here. Watching ISU - Cleveland St. game. Soares 6-6 ISU player reminds me of a womens version of former Iowa MBB player Gabe Olaseni, shot blocker, also good free-throw shooter. ISU has another good team this year. Ashley Joens is Ashley Joens, she reminds me of a baby bull, lowers her shoulders and attacks the basket.

Kind of OT, but since we play ISU thought I would post it here. Watching ISU - Cleveland St. game. Soares 6-6 ISU player reminds me of a womens version of former Iowa MBB player Gabe Olaseni, shot blocker, also good free-throw shooter. ISU has another good team this year. Ashley Joens is Ashley Joens, she reminds me of a baby bull, lowers her shoulders and attacks the basket.
I watched it and was impressed with Soares. Good handle, runs the court, good passer, has a nice shooting stroke. She shoots well from beyond the arc, too. If she were out there by herself, you wouldn't think she's 6-6.

As several of us have noted in this thread, both Iowa and ISU should have really, really good WBB seasons.

Reactions: fish1hawk
Jada Gyamfi had a concussion and then sprained her ankle (had a boot on tonight). Bluder says she will be practicing again soon.

Kate Martin broke her nose (again) and will be wearing the face mask for a while.

Caitlin just turned her ankle and will be fine.

The biggest questions are at the 3 and the 5 for me. . . .

I was very impressed by Wetering's defense perimeter quickness and how well she played in the flow of the offense. But she has almost no live game experience in the last 2.5 years so I don't know what her ceiling and floor are. Affolter is strong and aggressive but a bit reckless and seems to try to do too much. Neither of them have a proven outside shot as far as I'm aware. . .
Your take on Wetering and Affolter generally holds after last night, but perhaps Wetering can also shoot a little. IMO one of Iowa’s perpetual deficiencies is the lack of players who are quick to the ball. Wetering and Stuelke help cure/minimize this deficiency, Affolter not so much. Also love the fact that Wetering is left-handed. So hard for college players to get squared up against bench lefty’s who can move a little. At this point, I’m hopeful that Wetering can be a real help at the 3.

Reactions: undersized_post
Your take on Wetering and Affolter generally holds after last night, but perhaps Wetering can also shoot a little. IMO one of Iowa’s perpetual deficiencies is the lack of players who are quick to the ball. Wetering and Stuelke help cure/minimize this deficiency, Affolter not so much. Also love the fact that Wetering is left-handed. So hard for college players to get squared up against bench lefty’s who can move a little. At this point, I’m hopeful that Wetering can be a real help at the 3.
For sure. I'm not rooting for one player over another, but I do hope that one or both of them can contribute 10-12 solid minutes per game at the 3. You mentioned Wetering's outside shot -- was great to see her knock one down after hitting the side of the backboard on her previous attempt haha. Her best play of the game for me was that offensive rebound that she then passed in to Goodman for the and-1.

To Affolter credit as well, she finished with 0 turnovers and managed to actually draw fouls on her drives instead of throw up an off balance shot.

I defer to you all on basketball knowledge…. but I can see players playing with great effort and potential…… Wetering has impressed me the couple times I’ve seen her play now…..

sure looks to me like we have really good quality depth this year and I’m looking forward to this season big time….. seeing Caitlyn down was certainly sobering though

For sure. I'm not rooting for one player over another, but I do hope that one or both of them can contribute 10-12 solid minutes per game at the 3. You mentioned Wetering's outside shot -- was great to see her knock one down after hitting the side of the backboard on her previous attempt haha. Her best play of the game for me was that offensive rebound that she then passed in to Goodman for the and-1.

To Affolter credit as well, she finished with 0 turnovers and managed to actually draw fouls on her drives instead of throw up an off balance shot.
To be fair the shot she hit the backboard on is one of the hardest three point shots to make. Ask any shooter and even more so for a lefty. The angle messes with depth perception. The three she hit was a much less difficult angle and it was nothing but net.

Both Syd and Shateah bring something different and I'm sure both will see minutes next season at the 3. Maybe a 60/40 split. Syd is a little better ball handler and Shateah is more of a defensive presence. Both can get to the rim and score from the perimeter. I'd be happy with either starting but I do prefer Shateah's game. She's moves a little more fluidly, especially laterally on defense and it never hurts to have another defensive presence.

Was looking at the schedule and wondered why the KSU game is at 8 if no broadcast TV (it's on ESPN+ aka the Big 12 Network). As I guessed, they are the backhalf of a men's/women's doubleheader. So, they will get a warm welcome there.

Was looking at the schedule and wondered why the KSU game is at 8 if no broadcast TV (it's on ESPN+ aka the Big 12 Network). As I guessed, they are the backhalf of a men's/women's doubleheader. So, they will get a warm welcome there.
Yes, men play UMKC at 5:30pm.

After the OT game at Drake, I thought I should check out Kansas State. Ayoka Lee, KSU’s 6’6” center, set an NCAA record last year with 61 points against #14 Oklahoma. I am assuming that our strategy will be to run run run.

CORRECTION: Lee is on the roster but hasn’t played yet this year. She is off for the year following knee surgery. I’ll leave this here to memorialize my haste in posting.

Here are highlights of her record setting 61 points.

Some perspective….

Someone on the ISU sub is worrying about their team playing a team as “athletic” as ours.

ESPN WBB Bracketology Update after Week One

IOWA CITY REGIONAL

1 Iowa
16 Long Island/Campbell

8 Oregon
9 Gonzaga

OTHER NOTABLE TEAMS
Connecticut (1 seed)
Iowa State (2 seed)
Indiana (2 seed)
Ohio State (3 seed)
North Carolina State (4 seed)
Maryland (5 seed)
Nebraska (6 seed)
Michigan (8 seed)
Belmont (8 seed)
Oregon State (Last Four In)
Kansas State (First Four Out)
Northern Iowa (Next Four Out)
Michigan State (Next Four Out)

We are about to learn a bunch about this team, the next 5 games:
Belmont (8 seed)
Wisconsin (away)
Iowa State (2 seed)

We are about to learn a bunch about this team, the next 5 games:
Belmont (8 seed)
Wisconsin (away)
Iowa State (2 seed)
And add in there the winner of Duke/U-CONN. YIKES!
And from what I have seen from Wisconsin they look much better than last year, be able to tell better after the Kansas St. game.

Warnock’s improvement this year as an occasional driver is a welcome development. Except for a few games when she could drive around a big slow girl (e.g. Kentucky), Warnock’s drive game the past two seasons has been most notable for losing her balance and falling down. But not this year. Seems like she has learned to drive and end up with a shot rather than a flail. Her biggest strength will always be a stationary shot, but adding something to her game is a good thing for the Hawkeyes.

Warnock’s improvement this year as an occasional driver is a welcome development. Except for a few games when she could drive around a big slow girl (e.g. Kentucky), Warnock’s drive game the past two seasons has been most notable for losing her balance and falling down. But not this year. Seems like she has learned to drive and end up with a shot rather than a flail. Her biggest strength will always be a stationary shot, but adding something to her game is a good thing for the Hawkeyes.
and it looks like Gabbie has added the jumper from the free throw line.

Huge upcoming game against NC State. Need a victory to potentially avoid 4 non conference losses. ISU will be a really tough matchup, especially if lose this week.

Reactions: hawkahawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT