ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

Have seen a lot of CIML basketball; not 100% sold on Jada yet. Does have the physical skills.
What does not sold mean? You don’t think she’s starter material, not a good fit for the team….something else?

Opened up my season tix today....gets me pumped...some great games on the schedule....hopefully an epic year for them.

Welp...after looking at dates and times for all the games and comparing that info to my availability I am going only be able to attend about 1/2 the games...if anyone is looking for tix to a particular game during the season please let me know and if mine are available I will get them to you.

I only have 2 seats, but they are on the floor directly across from the Iowa bench so they are great for being close to all the action and being able to hear Caitlin cuss out the refs. :)

What does not sold mean? You don’t think she’s starter material, not a good fit for the team….something else?
While I trust the Iowa coaching staff's judgement 99.9%, here's my concerns:

1) Jada left Urbandale after 2 seasons and transferred to Johnston, last year's state champion. She had an older sister at Urbandale that was 2 years ahead of her...very talented in her own right. They went to state Jada's freshman year; beat out her sophomore year on a buzzer beater by West Waterloo.

I understand transfers to improve competition while still in high school, let's say going from a 2A school to a 5A school so you're playing tougher opponents and therefore better preparing yourself for college. Urbandale and Johnston are both 5A, so really a lateral move. Imagine Caitlin Clark transferring to UConn after last year, just because she wants to have a better chance at a national championship.

2) There were times when I'd question her dedication to playing defense. When you're 6'2" and more physical than anyone else you go up against it's easy to look okay on defense. When you're dragging your feet getting back in an up and down game it potentially says something about desire.

I'd anticipate Lisa and her staff indoctrinating her into these realities at the next level, but a redshirt year might be a good idea.

Reactions: crstuff
While I trust the Iowa coaching staff's judgement 99.9%, here's my concerns:

1) Jada left Urbandale after 2 seasons and transferred to Johnston, last year's state champion. She had an older sister at Urbandale that was 2 years ahead of her...very talented in her own right. They went to state Jada's freshman year; beat out her sophomore year on a buzzer beater by West Waterloo.

I understand transfers to improve competition while still in high school, let's say going from a 2A school to a 5A school so you're playing tougher opponents and therefore better preparing yourself for college. Urbandale and Johnston are both 5A, so really a lateral move. Imagine Caitlin Clark transferring to UConn after last year, just because she wants to have a better chance at a national championship.

2) There were times when I'd question her dedication to playing defense. When you're 6'2" and more physical than anyone else you go up against it's easy to look okay on defense. When you're dragging your feet getting back in an up and down game it potentially says something about desire.

I'd anticipate Lisa and her staff indoctrinating her into these realities at the next level, but a redshirt year might be a good i

My limited impression of All Iowa Attack is that you dont get to play for the team she was on if you don't play a complete game. The knock on IOWA has been the offense first mentality, so she might fit right in, I think the team is starting to realize that defense is going to dictate how far they can go, so I think the pressure on defense is going to be coming from the team leaders as well as coaches. Time will tell.

Aliyah Boston, South Carolina, 6-5, senior (30 of 30 votes) (16.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 2.4 bpg.)
Caitlin Clark, Iowa, 6-0, junior, (30 of 30 votes) (27.0 ppg, 8.0 apg, 8.0 rpg)
Haley Jones, Stanford, 6-1, senior (28 of 30 votes) (13.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.7 apg)
Ashley Joens, Iowa State, 6-1, senior, (24 of 30 votes) (20.3 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.0 apg)
Elizabeth Kitley, Virginia Tech, 6-6, senior, (9 of 30 votes) (18.1 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 2.4 bpg)
Aneesah Morrow, DePaul, 6-1, sophomore, (9 of 30 votes) (21.9 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 3.0 spg)

Others receiving votes: Cameron Brink, Stanford; Rori Harmon, Texas; Hailey Van Lith, Louisville; Olivia Miles, Notre Dame; Angel Reese, LSU; Maddy Siegrist, Villanova; Azzi Fudd, UConn; Jade Loville, Arizona State; Jordan Horston, Tennessee; Deja Kelly, North Carolina; Tamari Key, Tennessee.

Interesting quote in here about Clark's height:"Bluder also said Clark has added some post moves to her game: 'That may sound silly with Monika (Czinano) on the block. She’s almost 5-foot-10 and no reason she can’t post up. She’s looking for that a lot more.'"

I guess Clark being listed as 6'0'' is a bit of a stretch.
Laughing

Reactions: anon_salmfilsntd0b

Aliyah Boston, South Carolina, 6-5, senior (30 of 30 votes) (16.8 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 2.4 bpg.)
Caitlin Clark, Iowa, 6-0, junior, (30 of 30 votes) (27.0 ppg, 8.0 apg, 8.0 rpg)
Haley Jones, Stanford, 6-1, senior (28 of 30 votes) (13.2 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 3.7 apg)
Ashley Joens, Iowa State, 6-1, senior, (24 of 30 votes) (20.3 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 2.0 apg)
Elizabeth Kitley, Virginia Tech, 6-6, senior, (9 of 30 votes) (18.1 ppg, 9.8 rpg, 2.4 bpg)
Aneesah Morrow, DePaul, 6-1, sophomore, (9 of 30 votes) (21.9 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 3.0 spg)

Others receiving votes: Cameron Brink, Stanford; Rori Harmon, Texas; Hailey Van Lith, Louisville; Olivia Miles, Notre Dame; Angel Reese, LSU; Maddy Siegrist, Villanova; Azzi Fudd, UConn; Jade Loville, Arizona State; Jordan Horston, Tennessee; Deja Kelly, North Carolina; Tamari Key, Tennessee.

Interesting quote in here about Clark's height:"Bluder also said Clark has added some post moves to her game: 'That may sound silly with Monika (Czinano) on the block. She’s almost 5-foot-10 and no reason she can’t post up. She’s looking for that a lot more.'"

Laughing
Clark developing post moves is an extremely positive development.

1) Martin was really successful with them when she started using them late last year. 2) It's a great alternative for Clark when she's getting hit at the rim but the refs are swallowing their whistles. Frankly, it might've made all the different in the Creighton game alone.

Reactions: cyberhawk

Worth a listen. Howard Megdal with The Next does great work covering women's basketball. This is the YouTube video version, but you can also listen wherever you get your podcasts -- just search Locked On Women's Basketball.
thanks for sharing that…. it was a great listen….. I was skeptical cause I haven’t been impressed with most of the locked on coverage of other sports

thanks for sharing that…. it was a great listen….. I was skeptical cause I haven’t been impressed with most of the locked on coverage of other sports
Glad you liked it. I don't listen to Locked On's coverage for other sports so I can't speak to that. But it's certainly possible the bar is simply lower for women's sports content because, in general, there is so much less of it. 😂

Reactions: natchrlman

Laughing
I don't know what to think of it, but in the team photo, Molly Davis and Taylor McCabe look plenty tall. The only player that stands out in the front row is Gabbie Marshall.

Iowa Team Photo

I don't know what to think of it, but in the team photo, Molly Davis and Taylor McCabe look plenty tall. The only player that stands out in the front row is Gabbie Marshall.

Iowa Team Photo
Photos of people sitting aren't always the best indication of height. I have extremely short legs for my height, so I always look taller when I'm sitting as compared to other people.

I would guess if Clark is really an inch or two shorter than her listed height, that is probably true of most of the rest of the team.

I like your forecast Kyle, I could see a split with Nebraska other than that I agree with your forecast. I really think the Ohio State game could decide the Big Championship for us. Sickness, injuries, and officials that let teams get extra physical with us could derail a very good season.

UConn announced they lost forward Ice Brady for the season. She's freshman that was the #5 (ESPN) recruit.

UConn announced they lost forward Ice Brady for the season. She's freshman that was the #5 (ESPN) recruit.
Seems like there's video somewhere of Stuelke, Gyamfi and McCabe wipping the floor with Ice a couple times last summer.

When and how was Czinano injured this summer??

• Wow
Reactions: undersized_post

When and how was Czinano injured this summer??
Hope Monika is actually truly OK now....
Nice to hear that we have been trying out different things including having O'Grady at the 4 (a 'big' lineup) and Stuelke at the 5 (a 'small' lineup). As others have mentioned in this thread, it would be a luxury to have enough quality depth to actually be able to use these lineups in games. Either to exploit a mismatch offensively or get a better matchup defensively.

Reactions: natchrlman
Just realized the exhibition game will be played while the homecoming parade is on. I will likely miss the game.

just reupped my BIG plus subscription….. man is that a good deal for wrestling and women’s bball

I have 6 season wrestling tickets but usually only drive up to a couple meets a year….. my friends and kids use them and I watch from the comfort of home….. not a fan of crowds and traffic anymore

definitely would like to see the women live a few times this year though

Hope Monika is actually truly OK now....
Nice to hear that we have been trying out different things including having O'Grady at the 4 (a 'big' lineup) and Stuelke at the 5 (a 'small' lineup). As others have mentioned in this thread, it would be a luxury to have enough quality depth to actually be able to use these lineups in games. Either to exploit a mismatch offensively or get a better matchup defensively.
I think shes fine, but I wouldnt be surprised if her minutes drop on average. Bluder has been talking about using depth to rest starters and protect Monikas knees.

Laughing

If Clark is 5-10.... then Gabby is would be at best 5-5

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjEvMDYvNmFiZmMxNTItMjAyMTA2MTdfaW93YV93b21lbnNfYmFza2V0YmFsbF9nb2xmX2V4dHJhdmFnYW56YV8wNzYuanBn.jpg

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjEvMDYvZDFkMzJmYTUtMjAyMTA2MTdfaW93YV93b21lbnNfYmFza2V0YmFsbF9nb2xmX2V4dHJhdmFnYW56YV8wMjYuanBn.jpg

Kate and Caitlin are both listed at 6-0...safe to say they are both about the same height...and a few inches shorter than Monika

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjIvMTAvYTM4ZWU5NGUtMjAyMjEwMjBfaW93YXdvbWVuc2Jhc2tldGJhbGxtZWRpYWRheV8wMDE3LmpwZw.jpg

USA Basketball has her listed at 6-0....FIBA has her at 5-11

Is there a free trial available for BTN+? Seems like a good time with the amount of men's and women's games on BTN+ in November. But I don't see it. I'll pay the $10 to have the app work half the time.

Is there a free trial available for BTN+? Seems like a good time with the amount of men's and women's games on BTN+ in November. But I don't see it. I'll pay the $10 to have the app work half the time.
I love the app….. you can get the Iowa only subscription for 9.99 a month and cancel anytime….. I personally highly recommend it for watching the Iowa women and wrestling…… track and field baseball volleyball

I don’t think they do a free trial….. way I see it one game makes it worth the 10 bucks

I love the app….. you can get the Iowa only subscription for 9.99 a month and cancel anytime….. I personally highly recommend it for watching the Iowa women and wrestling…… track and field baseball volleyball

I don’t think they do a free trial….. way I see it one game makes it worth the 10 bucks
I always have problems with the BTN+ app/site. It seems like I miss half the games because of issues.

I always have problems with the BTN+ app/site. It seems like I miss half the games because of issues.
Last season I only accessed BTN+ thru the Roku Tv app, I don’t remember having many problems. Maybe bc I live on the east coast? Maybe internet connection?

Reactions: conn53victor
I honestly can’t remember ever having an issue…. not like I have with flo or had anyway….. don’t subscribe to flo anymore

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT