ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

sounds like a great kid
I really think she's going to be a great fit. When I read the article on players in the transfer portal, Davis was the player that most excited me and one that I hoped Bluder would take a chance on. There are a lot of other players with great potential who entered the portal and I'm sure many of them will be great. But it's hard to argue with Davis' production. She is a proven commodity and produced while drawing tons of attention. She's also a gamer who steps up and meets the challenge as evidenced by her stats against Iowa in the tourney last year and against Michigan this past season.

I feel really confident about Iowa taking that next step season with all five starters returning as well as key contributors off the bench as well as the highest rated freshman class in the Bluder era.

I really think she's going to be a great fit. When I read the article on players in the transfer portal, Davis was the player that most excited me and one that I hoped Bluder would take a chance on. There are a lot of other players with great potential who entered the portal and I'm sure many of them will be great. But it's hard to argue with Davis' production. She is a proven commodity and produced while drawing tons of attention. She's also a gamer who steps up and meets the challenge as evidenced by her stats against Iowa in the tourney last year and against Michigan this past season.

I feel really confident about Iowa taking that next step season with all five starters returning as well as key contributors off the bench as well as the highest rated freshman class in the Bluder era.
I agree

Reactions: nwhawkincr
is Shateah between Gabby and Kyle? Who is the 3rd from the right in the black pantsuit?

is Shateah between Gabby and Kyle? Who is the 3rd from the right in the black pantsuit?
I do not believe Kylie is in the picture either. From R to Left I see AJ, Tomi, Caitlin, Kate, Shatereah, Syd, Gabbie, Monica, Sharon, Addy. But I honestly can't tell if it's Shatereah or Kylie. They are close to the same height and both blondes. Good news is no brace on Sharon. I'm guessing Shatereah though.

I'm guessing the other girls might have been running late or just not like cameras. One of them might be behind the camera also.

I forgot about Monica, didn't recognize her, but looks a little slimmer (if that's a word).

I do not believe Kylie is in the picture either. From R to Left I see AJ, Tomi, Caitlin, Kate, Shatereah, Syd, Gabbie, Monica, Sharon, Addy. But I honestly can't tell if it's Shatereah or Kylie. They are close to the same height and both blondes. Good news is no brace on Sharon. I'm guessing Shatereah though.

I'm guessing the other girls might have been running late or just not like cameras. One of them might be behind the camera also.

From left to right. Thanks!

I am sure that is Kylie, not Shateah.

I’m sure that’s Kylie, too.

I believe May 1st is the deadline to enter the transfer portal and not have to sit out a year, but might be wrong on that. I am assuming (hoping) this means no transfer out other than Logan/Tomi.

As wneff posted, McKenna was at the volleyball game. Nothing to worry about there.

I don't recall seeing Shateah in any of the off-season social media posts, but I don't think that's anything to worry about. If a player enters the portal, the school has to upload their information within a day or two. So far that hasn't happened. There's also no benefit I can see to a player deciding to transfer and not entering their name in the portal as soon as possible.

Reactions: natchrlman
Charlie Creme has released his Way-Too-Early Predictions for the 2022-23 season

Top 25 Rankings

Iowa is ranked #5, which is the highest in the Big Ten.
UConn #2
Iowa State #8
Indiana #11
Ohio State #15
Maryland #16
Nebraska #24
Creighton #25

Notre Dame, Louisville and North Carolina are all top 10, which gives an idea of who Iowa may get for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at Carver.

Bracketology Projection
#7 Kansas
#10 Ole Miss

#2 Iowa
#15 Boston University

As wneff posted, McKenna was at the volleyball game. Nothing to worry about there.

I don't recall seeing Shateah in any of the off-season social media posts, but I don't think that's anything to worry about. If a player enters the portal, the school has to upload their information within a day or two. So far that hasn't happened. There's also no benefit I can see to a player deciding to transfer and not entering their name in the portal as soon as possible.
Shateah could also still be rehabbing her knee so she might not be practicing with the team. Her injury was much later in the year than Sharon's. So it might just be that she's not fully cleared.

But I think if something were up, we would have heard about it.

Shateah could also still be rehabbing her knee so she might not be practicing with the team. Her injury was much later in the year than Sharon's. So it might just be that she's not fully cleared.

But I think if something were up, we would have heard about it.
Jan had a post on twitter wishing Shateah a happy birthday and saying she's glad she's a Hawkeye.

Reactions: UptownHawk
Charlie Creme has released his Way-Too-Early Predictions for the 2022-23 season

Top 25 Rankings
Iowa is ranked #5, which is the highest in the Big Ten.
UConn #2
Iowa State #8
Indiana #11
Ohio State #15
Maryland #16
Nebraska #24
Creighton #25

Notre Dame, Louisville and North Carolina are all top 10, which gives an idea of who Iowa may get for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge at Carver.

Bracketology Projection
#7 Kansas
#10 Ole Miss

#2 Iowa
#15 Boston University
It is likely Louisville coming to Iowa City. ND, UNC, NCST are due to host in the ACC/BIG challenge this year.

Depth chart for next year. Seeing how forward-heavy we are makes you appreciate what an important addition Davis will be, especially considering the type of offense we like to run. I wasn't sure how to order to the reserves at the 3, 4, and 5 so don't read too much into my ordering there.

Clark/Davis
Marshall/McCabe
Martin/Feuerbach/Affolter
Warnock/Stuelke/Wetering/Gyamfi
Czinano/O'Grady/Goodman/Ediger

Depth chart for next year. Seeing how forward-heavy we are makes you appreciate what an important addition Davis will be, especially considering the type of offense we like to run. I wasn't sure how to order to the reserves at the 3, 4, and 5 so don't read too much into my ordering there.

Clark/Davis
Marshall/McCabe
Martin/Feuerbach/Affolter
Warnock/Stuelke/Wetering/Gyamfi
Czinano/O'Grady/Goodman/Ediger
I except Davis to be the primary backup at the 2 this year. You don't bring in a transfer to have her sit.

I'm hoping we see some redshirts from some players -- Possible candidates I think would be A.J. Sydney, Jada, Shateah, and perhaps even Taylor.

Particularly important that we get at least 1-2 redshirts since the '23 class is probably 1 or none at this point.

Davis coming in might also indicate that Gabbie Marshall won't be coming back for a 5th Covid year.

I except Davis to be the primary backup at the 2 this year. You don't bring in a transfer to have her sit.

I'm hoping we see some redshirts from some players -- Possible candidates I think would be A.J. Sydney, Jada, Shateah, and perhaps even Taylor.

Particularly important that we get at least 1-2 redshirts since the '23 class is probably 1 or none at this point.

Davis coming in might also indicate that Gabbie Marshall won't be coming back for a 5th Covid year.
Taylor McCabe is playing.

Reactions: crstuff
I agree, while she will have a steep learning curve like most FR, her shooting will earn her some minutes at least early in the season. I think Jada Gyamfi is the most likely to redshirt then a post is possible, but injuries could change things.

I like undersized_post possible lineup, Feuerbach may slide down to play some 2 since she & Caitlin are comfortable playing together since their AAU days.

I really don't see a way for both Davis and McCabe to play meaningful minutes in big games.

Clark will play at least 35 minutes in big games. That only leaves 5 minutes max at the backup 1. Martin and Feuerbach will almost certainly play most of the minutes available at the 3.

That leaves Davis and McCabe searching for minutes as the backup 2. Marshall averaged 31.7 minutes last year. Even if her minutes go down a bit, that's not a lot of time to split between Davis and McCabe.

I agree with Gabe on this: Davis is very likely to be the primary backup 2. It just doesn't make sense to bring Davis in if you plan for McCabe to be part of the rotation. Plus I don't think it is likely that Davis would've come here to play 5-10 minutes a game.

I don't think she will redshirt just an outside possibility. But it would be tough if she only ends up with something like 8 minutes a game or less with her talent. Minutes will be tough to come by without players redshirting. Whereas if she were to redshirt, she's looking at competing for a starting job next year or at worst 15-20 minutes as a backup.

Reactions: jockos
I really don't see a way for both Davis and McCabe to play meaningful minutes in big games.

Clark will play at least 35 minutes in big games. That only leaves 5 minutes max at the backup 1. Martin and Feuerbach will almost certainly play most of the minutes available at the 3.

That leaves Davis and McCabe searching for minutes as the backup 2. Marshall averaged 31.7 minutes last year. Even if her minutes go down a bit, that's not a lot of time to split between Davis and McCabe.

I agree with Gabe on this: Davis is very likely to be the primary backup 2. It just doesn't make sense to bring Davis in if you plan for McCabe to be part of the rotation. Plus I don't think it is likely that Davis would've come here to play 5-10 minutes a game.
I hope Lisa & staff manage their depth better than in the past, as there is some quality depth on this team. Davis is likely to get the bulk of the bench minutes in bigger OOC games like ISU, BIG/ACC, & Knight Classic.

If this team comes together quickly unlike the struggles they faced (Covid) this past season there may be fewer close games allowing for more bench minutes. I still don't see a bench player getting more than 15 mpg on average though.

I hope Lisa & staff manage their depth better than in the past, as there is some quality depth on this team. Davis is likely to get the bulk of the bench minutes in bigger OOC games like ISU, BIG/ACC, & Knight Classic.

If this team comes together quickly unlike the struggles they faced (Covid) this past season there may be fewer close games allowing for more bench minutes. I still don't see a bench player getting more than 15 mpg on average though.
In my ideal world, Clark plays 35 minutes per game, our starting 2 and 3 play 25-28, Warnock plays 30, and Czinano plays 25-30 depending on how dominant she is in the post and how much we need O'Grady/Goodman on defense.

I think part of our issues with rebounding and defense have been that the starters are either tired or can't go 100% at every moment because they need to pace themselves. Reducing minutes somewhat should help the starters play higher quality minutes.

That said, I still don't see a great way to make the rotation bigger than 9. I think playing a player 5 minutes or less per game doesn't help the player or the team much. In my hypothetical rotation Davis plays 15-20 minutes, Feuerbach plays 15, O'Grady/Goodman play 10-15, and Warnock's backup plays 10.

Your constant denigration of the Iowa Women's team by calling them "hawkettes" has worn really thin. Maybe try being less of a misogynist.
I may be wrong but it was the first Ashley had a win against the hawks. When she started playing in Lames, she she said she was going 4-0 against the hawks. She is now 1-3

Reactions: crstuff

They are returning the entire starting five, several top reserves. They should come together rather quickly

If Iowa has a capable backup point, I think getting CC a handful of minutes off the ball might be a good thing. Would change the dynamic for the defense quite a bit, and let Clark be on the court but expending energy at a slightly lower level.

Not sure if CC would buy into such a plan :), but I think it could benefit everyone

If Iowa has a capable backup point, I think getting CC a handful of minutes off the ball might be a good thing. Would change the dynamic for the defense quite a bit, and let Clark be on the court but expending energy at a slightly lower level.

Not sure if CC would buy into such a plan :), but I think it could benefit everyone
The more I think about Clark playing "off ball" the more I'm not actually sure what it would look like within Iowa's offense. Unlike some teams, Iowa has the 1, the 2, and the 3 all initiate the offense at different times. Clark probably does it more than the others, but not dramatically so. I think we could run more set plays to Clark where she runs through screens off the ball, but we could've done that without a backup PG too.

The more I think about Clark playing "off ball" the more I'm not actually sure what it would look like within Iowa's offense. Unlike some teams, Iowa has the 1, the 2, and the 3 all initiate the offense at different times. Clark probably does it more than the others, but not dramatically so. I think we could run more set plays to Clark where she runs through screens off the ball, but we could've done that without a backup PG too.
With CC's playmaking ability, and 'step on the court' range, it doesn't make sense to take the ball out of her hands that often- I'm talking maybe 4 minutes a game, depending on matchups. (Not sure how it could be impacted with the new transfer, as well as the incoming players).

But at a minimum it would give opponents something else to scout/prep; and while CC doesn't seem to have any problem with conditioning, having someone else work to get the ball up the court and keep a little more in CCs gas tank late in close games wouldn't be a bad thing, even for her to use on defense if nothing else.

Last edited:
In my ideal world, Clark plays 35 minutes per game, our starting 2 and 3 play 25-28, Warnock plays 30, and Czinano plays 25-30 depending on how dominant she is in the post and how much we need O'Grady/Goodman on defense.

I think part of our issues with rebounding and defense have been that the starters are either tired or can't go 100% at every moment because they need to pace themselves. Reducing minutes somewhat should help the starters play higher quality minutes.

That said, I still don't see a great way to make the rotation bigger than 9. I think playing a player 5 minutes or less per game doesn't help the player or the team much. In my hypothetical rotation Davis plays 15-20 minutes, Feuerbach plays 15, O'Grady/Goodman play 10-15, and Warnock's backup plays 10.
I want to see Clark 30 minutes a game or under. Let her stay fresh. She should only play over 30 in games that are super close.

I absolutely do not want to see Warnock playing 30 minutes a game. 20-25 max. Need to take advantage of depth. Also Warnock is a defensive liability at times.

We have depth going into next season and we should use it at every opportunity to develop players and to rest our starters to keep them fresh and prevent higher risk of injury.

I want to see Clark 30 minutes a game or under. Let her stay fresh. She should only play over 30 in games that are super close.

I absolutely do not want to see Warnock playing 30 minutes a game. 20-25 max. Need to take advantage of depth. Also Warnock is a defensive liability at times.

We have depth going into next season and we should use it at every opportunity to develop players and to rest our starters to keep them fresh and prevent higher risk of injury.
My proposed rotation was for the big games. If we're up big, I hope Coach Bluder pulls Clark much earlier now that we have another player (Davis) who can reliably get the ball up. Otherwise, Clark is playing 35 minutes plus in the big games. Her stamina is an underrated part of her game.

If Stuelke is good enough to contribute well I'm fine with Warnock playing less than 30 minutes. That's far from a given, though. Ediger was rated similarly to Stuelke on ESPN. At this time last year, most (myself included) thought she would be the backup 4. Clearly that didn't happen. Warnock has averaged 30+ minutes the last two years and has been our third best player in both years.

Reactions: jockos
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT