ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

If she could easily score 20+ points/game she won't be coming off the bench.
Gabbie will start because of her experience. Bluder is not going to start a freshman over a senior and three year starter. Bluder has always been loyal to her upperclassmen, sometimes to a fault.

I do however expect to see her minutes increase over the course of the season and she'll likely start as a sophomore assuming Gabbie moves on.

Reactions: cyberhawk
If she could easily score 20+ points/game she won't be coming off the bench.
Isn't the only guard in recent memory to average 20+ points as a freshman Caitlin Clark? Very few guards ever anywhere average 20+ points a game any season in their careers.

Kathleen Doyle was Big 10 player of the year as senior and averaged 18 points a game that year. So I'm very confident in saying that a Top 100 recruit coming in would not average 20 points a game if given 30 minutes a game. She is likely to be a very good college player from everything that's been shared. But 15 minutes a game, and 6-9 points a game as a freshman is a very good year. Doyle averaged 9 points a game as a freshman on a very inefficient 39% FG shooting and 23% 3-point shooting.

This year's Iowa women's team will be interesting. All starters returning from a team that won a lot of games. That is good. But holes in the team that everyone can see. The new players have some different skill sets. It likely means less minutes for everyone on the team, including Clark. How that dynamic plays out (with starters getting less minutes) is the challenge for Bluder this year. Her track record is she gets teams to play together, but getting to that point may have some bumps in the road.

If you haven’t listened to the t’d up episode with Jan Jensen I highly recommend it….. Iowa is so blessed with assistant coaches like Jensen…. Terry Brands…. Phil Parker…. they all could go elsewhere but choose to stay in Iowa City…. where else has the kind of tenure we do with coaching staffs

They filled some needs, are deeper. Logan and Tomi vs Jada, Molly, Taylor,Hannah, Shateah, and Sharon is a deeper team that is fresher, plays better defense and is harder to defend. So much depends on who can stay healthy, who can find roles on the team. I see Molly as backup point the provides a chance to play a two point gaurd system at times, that should make it harder for teams to double Clark for 94 feet. Taylor is a sniper, but can she defend at a level close to Gabby? We have not really had a chance to see what shateah can do, where does she fit in? Who gets minutes between sharon and Addie? Does anyone redshirt?

Our Conference Matchups:
Home and Away: IU, MD, Neb, PSU, Wisc
Home Only: MN, NW, Purdue, Rutgers
Away Only: IL, Mich, MSU, OSU

Overall I'd say this is a fairly difficult draw. I think Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan, and Ohio State will be the top 5 of the conference (excluding us). We play 3 of them twice, and the 2 we play just once (Michigan and Ohio State) are road games. Would have been nice to get one of either Michigan or Ohio State at home. On the plus side, this is more opportunity for Quad 1 wins I suppose. Hopefully we can defend our home court better than last year.

Our Conference Matchups:
Home and Away: IU, MD, Neb, PSU, Wisc
Home Only: MN, NW, Purdue, Rutgers
Away Only: IL, Mich, MSU, OSU

Overall I'd say this is a fairly difficult draw. I think Indiana, Maryland, Nebraska, Michigan, and Ohio State will be the top 5 of the conference (excluding us). We play 3 of them twice, and the 2 we play just once (Michigan and Ohio State) are road games. Would have been nice to get one of either Michigan or Ohio State at home. On the plus side, this is more opportunity for Quad 1 wins I suppose. Hopefully we can defend our home court better than last year.
This is certainly on the more difficult end of what we could've gotten (as opposed to last year when we got a draw on the easier end). The home-only portion in particular is about as easy as you could possibly make it, which is the reverse of what you want if you're trying to maximize conference wins.

I agree about the Quad 1 part. Our non-conference schedule this year was designed to help get seeding as a 1 or 2 seed, and this conference schedule should only improve the schedule's difficulty.

Felt like their away only draw was tough, however they got Maryland and Ohio State at home last year.
So far non-conf looks like…

vs Iowa State
vs Northern Iowa
at Drake
2 of UConn/Oregon St/Duke in Portland
at Kansas State
vs ACC/Big Ten Challenge (LVille?)

Going to be a tough schedule.

So far non-conf looks like…

vs Iowa State
vs Northern Iowa
at Drake
2 of UConn/Oregon St/Duke in Portland
at Kansas State
vs ACC/Big Ten Challenge (LVille?)

Going to be a tough schedule.
Just thinking about what the other four non-conference games could be.

Assuming 3 will be low mid-major type (Southern, New Hampshire, Samford, Evansville LY)

Final game could be a higher mid-major type game (UCF, IUPUI LY)

Of course there will be an exhibition to open the year.

Reactions: hawkahawk
Any news on ticket sales so far? They indicated no real room to move up, so same seats as last year

I ordered mine! Both mens and womens.

I've been going to both for a few years now. Got to the point where I just couldn't take how bad/uninformed the announcers are, so decided to just go to the games. Now I only have to deal with announcers for road games 😂

Reactions: crstuff and BBHawk
Certainly not the best day for this news given what's happening with Ava Jones and her family, but the Iowa football team is rolling out an NIL "Club" that gives people who buy a membership exclusive content and opportunities to meet the team. The funds raised are split equally amongst the team.

I hope the WBB team does something similar. I would be happy to support it.

https://www.iowacitynilclub.com/

Perhaps good to play NC State early. State will need to incorporate at least 2 key transfers, which sometimes can take awhile. With Diamond Johnson and Mimi Collins, State has a couple of familiar Big Ten faces. Johnson scorched Iowa in the ‘21 BIG tourney, a game Iowa still won.

Reactions: shikreto
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT