ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

My proposed rotation was for the big games. If we're up big, I hope Coach Bluder pulls Clark much earlier now that we have another player (Davis) who can reliably get the ball up. Otherwise, Clark is playing 35 minutes plus in the big games. Her stamina is an underrated part of her game.

If Stuelke is good enough to contribute well I'm fine with Warnock playing less than 30 minutes. That's far from a given, though. Ediger was rated similarly to Stuelke on ESPN. At this time last year, most (myself included) thought she would be the backup 4. Clearly that didn't happen. Warnock has averaged 30+ minutes the last two years and has been our third best player in both years.
I agree Braydon the bigger the game the more minutes a few of the starters will play. But it is nice to have quality depth that can come in & get things done too. Warnock will play a lot because she rebounds well & is ideal in the Iowa offense at spacing the floor with her 3-pt shooting. Stuelke gives them a different athlete at that position forcing teams to hopefully have to game plan for her 10-15 minutes she'll likely get. I don't think Ediger was in the best of shape last season which is why we saw her at the 5, that's likely where she stays unless Iowa uses a few double post sets at times/situational.

As this past season progressed Kate Martin advanced the ball & initiated the offense quite a bit more giving Caitlin a break. They kept the ball in Caitlin's hands more against teams like Indiana & NW where each had a guard who was a defensive menace.

Caitlin doesn't need the ball in her hands to score or be effective, she played the 2 on team USA last summer & was the tournament MVP in the U-19's. With Davis on board & based on what she has done in the past (against Iowa too) no reason to think we won't see that for a few minutes even if (Davis) isn't the quality of player on team USA. Having teams chase Caitlin off screens for a few extra minutes each game isn't a bad thing.

NIL for football and men's basketball has gone a bit off the rails, but it's worth remembering that NIL has also helped 1/3 of our team make money they otherwise wouldn't have been able to.
I agree with the point on football and men's basketball. The way Caitlin, Monika, McKenna, etc are making money is the way that I expected NIL to work.

this transfer seems like a big deal…. adding a player like this to the roster we have coming back plus the incoming players….. when have we had this much talent in the past?

I’m excited about next season for the Iowa women!

That would have us playing six nonconference games against teams making the latest Bracketology:
K State
ISU
Two of UConn, Duke, and Oregon State
Someone good in the ACC challenge-have seen Louisville speculation
UNI
He also has six other B10 teams in the tournament.
Strength of schedule will not be an issue.

Reactions: crstuff
That would have us playing six nonconference games against teams making the latest Bracketology:
K State
ISU
Two of UConn, Duke, and Oregon State
Someone good in the ACC challenge-have seen Louisville speculation
UNI
He also has six other B10 teams in the tournament.
Strength of schedule will not be an issue.

This is the non-conference schedule you play if you want to compete for a #1 seed, which is a very positive development. It also means the team is going to have to be near its best much earlier than it was last season.

I want to see Clark 30 minutes a game or under. Let her stay fresh. She should only play over 30 in games that are super close.

I absolutely do not want to see Warnock playing 30 minutes a game. 20-25 max. Need to take advantage of depth. Also Warnock is a defensive liability at times.

We have depth going into next season and we should use it at every opportunity to develop players and to rest our starters to keep them fresh and prevent higher risk of injury.
This. CC doesn't need to get beat down all game all year long. Lots of talent on the team and the more they spread it around the fresher everyone stays and the tougher it is for their opponents

Reactions: natchrlman
Haven't seen this posted, Coach Jensen was on Connor & Patrick's T'D Up Podcast recently. The entire podcast is great from Coach J's playing days to the current Hawkeye team. One takeaway I found interesting, expect to see Monika shooting a few 3's this season to help prepare her for a future playing overseas.

I think a combined team would be fun to watch, but wouldn't have the sheer bulk and muscle to beat the top two or three teams. And if we're nitpicking, playing Creighton on a neutral court is somewhat different than playing before a sellout crowd at home. I mean, if it's a factor when Iowa plays on the road, it's also a factor when Iowa plays at home :)

But I wouldn't put money on either team in the head-to-head next year. I said ISU was better this year because it won the game and went further in the tournament, But I don't disagree with your comments.
I anticipate putting some money on the lady Hawks over isu at Carver next season, provided the point spread isn’t too wild.

I think a combined team would be fun to watch, but wouldn't have the sheer bulk and muscle to beat the top two or three teams. And if we're nitpicking, playing Creighton on a neutral court is somewhat different than playing before a sellout crowd at home. I mean, if it's a factor when Iowa plays on the road, it's also a factor when Iowa plays at home :)

But I wouldn't put money on either team in the head-to-head next year. I said ISU was better this year because it won the game and went further in the tournament, But I don't disagree with your comments.
I anticipate putting some money on the lady Hawks over isu at Carver next season, provided the point spread isn’t too wild.

Minneapolis is an hour closer to Iowa City vs Indianapolis.
Attendance at the B1G championship is disappointing. They may be hoping for better attendance it just being in a B1G city...or more likely, Minneapolis simply outbid Indianapolis.
As a former MN resident, I’ll prolly be making the trip to the B10 women’s tourney over the next two years.

Reactions: crstuff and LinusPF
As a former MN resident, I’ll prolly be making the trip to the B10 women’s tourney over the next two years.
My wife and I are planning on going to our first BT women's tournament next March in Minnesota. Can someone tell me whether there will be an "official" Iowa hotel. If so, we would probably try to stay at it.

Haven't seen this posted, Coach Jensen was on Connor & Patrick's T'D Up Podcast recently. The entire podcast is great from Coach J's playing days to the current Hawkeye team. One takeaway I found interesting, expect to see Monika shooting a few 3's this season to help prepare her for a future playing overseas.

Maybe a hot take: if she shoots threes in garbage time, I have no problem with it. If she's shooting them while the game is still in question, I think that's a negative for our offense.

Megan has turned into an okay three-point shooter now, but it has taken her most of her professional career to get to that point. I highly doubt Monika will have practiced enough to make a three a good shot for her in a competitive game.

McCabe was player of the year in Nebraska last year and had an excellent AAU career .

Reactions: crstuff
She has the most three point makes in Nebraska Girls High School history and won Gatorade Player of the Year.
Please don't think I'm hating on Taylor. I've watched what I can find on YouTube so I've seen her tape; in interviews she is well-spoken and confident...seems like the type of young woman we want. There is a difference in being guarded by a 5'7" girl that's slower than you and a 6'1" player that's more athletic than you. I just say let's tap the brakes on what she may produce as a true freshman. If she plays 15 minutes and scores 8 points per game I'll be thrilled, but that's not for certain.

Reactions: jockos
Please don't think I'm hating on Taylor. I've watched what I can find on YouTube so I've seen her tape; in interviews she is well-spoken and confident...seems like the type of young woman we want. There is a difference in being guarded by a 5'7" girl that's slower than you and a 6'1" player that's more athletic than you. I just say let's tap the brakes on what she may produce as a true freshman. If she plays 15 minutes and scores 8 points per game I'll be thrilled, but that's not for certain.
I agree with that. Plenty of guard depth, so her role likely won’t be huge.

Reactions: jockos
I've seen Taylor play 50+ times on the top AIA team against the best club teams in the country and she has had zero issue getting shots off against taller/more athletic players. She is VERY good moving off the ball and has an unreal quick trigger so she doesn't require a ton of space. I'm not saying she will light the B1G on fire next year but I think she is a solid contributor immediately.

I've seen Taylor play 50+ times on the top AIA team against the best club teams in the country and she has had zero issue getting shots off against taller/more athletic players. She is VERY good moving off the ball and has an unreal quick trigger so she doesn't require a ton of space. I'm not saying she will light the B1G on fire next year but I think she is a solid contributor immediately.
In-person means something.

I don't expect Taylor to score in droves next season but only because her minutes will be limited on an already deep team. She's likely going to see10-15 minutes a game -- maybe a little more if the game is a blow out or if Gabbie/Molly get in foul trouble. I don't want to make predictions about what her averages will look like, but I'm confident if she touches the ball, she's going to score on all three levels. She is often compared to Mackenzie Meyer and that comparison is pretty accurate.

I also think you greatly underestimate Taylor. She is an excellent player and has played against top talent in HS and AAU. Yes in HS she didn't play against elite players night in and night out, but she was tested on multiple occasions. She's also already an excellent defender per her coach.

If Taylor had a chance to start and play 30+ minutes a game, she could average 20+ points a game easily. There's a reason she is a consensus top 100 recruit. With her coming off the bench I'll take whatever she can give next year but I would not be surprised if she averages doubles digit scoring playing limited time because it won't take many minutes for her to put up points in Bluder's fast paced offense.

There were times last season where the ball would come to someone on the perimeter at a point when 3 pointer made sense, but they were not ready to shoot. most of the video I have seen from All Iowa Attack it the ball going out to Mccabe, and going up before the camera gets to her. She mostly seems to have her feet and hands set, and her release might be quicker than Clark.

There were times last season where the ball would come to someone on the perimeter at a point when 3 pointer made sense, but they were not ready to shoot. most of the video I have seen from All Iowa Attack it the ball going out to Mccabe, and going up before the camera gets to her. She mostly seems to have her feet and hands set, and her release might be quicker than Clark.
Creslin...you nailed it. Haven't seen many female players get/have their feet set and ready to shoot than Taylor. She has an unreal quick release. No hesitation and a high level of confidence. In fact, in the many games I've seen I'm shocked when she misses.

Creslin...you nailed it. Haven't seen many female players get/have their feet set and ready to shoot than Taylor. She has an unreal quick release. No hesitation and a high level of confidence. In fact, in the many games I've seen I'm shocked when she misses.
She has a quick and repetitive release just like Melissa Dixon did.

It will take her time to adjust to the pace, physicality, and improve defensively at Iowa for the college game. She'll definitely get minutes early in the season & likely a few less once the schedule toughens up.

The main reason Gabbie has been highly criticized on this board is her reluctance to shoot open 3s which cost us possessions. Empty possessions in turn put undue strains on the defense. Gabbie's minutes are likely to decrease this season. She will still likely start games but I think Bluder will be quick to sub if she's reluctant to shoot. Molly can sub in and add another ball handler and Taylor can sub in as a scoring threat.

Gabbie is perfectly capable but she's lost her confidence from her freshman season. Might be due to the way the offense has evolved and she's thinking too much instead of reacting to the natural flow of the motion of the offense.

I feel good about next season as fewer empty possessions means more opportunities to set up the defense as well as fewer opportunities for our opponents to score in transition. Should also mean fresher legs for rebounding.

Even though we return all of our starters and bring back the same offense, I expect a different dynamic and flow of the game next season.

Reactions: natchrlman
It gets pretty tiresome seeing people who probably never ever played basketball have an opinion on an incoming recruit. Taylor by all means is a fantastic player who is super talented. Anyone on here that has the balls to criticize her ought to keep it to themselves. Clean your own front porch first. These kids put in a lot of work to get to this point. Get behind them support them wish them well and leave it at that.

I don't expect Taylor to score in droves next season but only because her minutes will be limited on an already deep team. She's likely going to see10-15 minutes a game -- maybe a little more if the game is a blow out or if Gabbie/Molly get in foul trouble. I don't want to make predictions about what her averages will look like, but I'm confident if she touches the ball, she's going to score on all three levels. She is often compared to Mackenzie Meyer and that comparison is pretty accurate.

I also think you greatly underestimate Taylor. She is an excellent player and has played against top talent in HS and AAU. Yes in HS she didn't play against elite players night in and night out, but she was tested on multiple occasions. She's also already an excellent defender per her coach.

If Taylor had a chance to start and play 30+ minutes a game, she could average 20+ points a game easily. There's a reason she is a consensus top 100 recruit. With her coming off the bench I'll take whatever she can give next year but I would not be surprised if she averages doubles digit scoring playing limited time because it won't take many minutes for her to put up points in Bluder's fast paced offense.
If she could easily score 20+ points/game she won't be coming off the bench.

Reactions: bowlhawk and jockos
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT