ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's BBall Season 2022-2023

Im just annoyed that there has been a monumental push for Boston this past week for NPOY despite it being debated to death weeks ago and Clark not letting up.

Reactions: Bishop1971
Im just annoyed that there has been a monumental push for Boston this past week for NPOY despite it being debated to death weeks ago and Clark not letting up.
I’m open to being corrected, but believe the votes for AP POY and USBWA POY are already in the can. Believe those votes turned in at same time as AP and USBWA All American teams. In past years, thought there was verbiage that made that clear. Wade, Naismith and Honda votes are not yet in, I believe. Anyone with more concrete info, please correct.

I’m open to being corrected, but believe the votes for AP POY and USBWA POY are already in the can. Believe those votes turned in at same time as AP and USBWA All American teams. In past years, thought there was verbiage that made that clear. Wade, Naismith and Honda votes are not yet in, I believe. Anyone with more concrete info, please correct.
I don't know about all the different award you named, but I believe the Wooden Award ballots are due today/tomorrow.

Example:

I also remember Jeff Linder tweeting that he turned in his AP ballot on March 1st.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
Just noticed Colorado's two leading scorers are both Centers that average 26+ minutes per game. That certainly could be trouble for Monika if Colorado beats Duke tonight.

I'm up for a Duke rematch. I was at the game last year and Iowa was all out of sync after taking a break from that Covid outbreak (I was also the one Hawkeye assclown in the crowd screaming about Clark being hacked). This is a moment for Clark to shine. Can't lookahead but any Elite 8 matchup is very winnable.

Boston is averaging something like 13.7 points and 9.7 RBs if I am right. That isn't even honorable mention worthy.

Not sure what others think, but Texas was another team I was worried about Iowa potentially playing due to its defense and offensive rebounding. Louisville is beating Texas 37-23 at halftime. That would be another team out of Iowa's path unless something changes drastically.

Iowa State beat Texas easily the last 2 times they played this year. I would love to play Texas.

I thought Texas had the higher ceiling this season but man has their floor been lowwww. Louisville started the season awfully but has peaked at the right time. I hate him but Walz is a good coach.

Not sure Iowa could've asked for a better path. 6 seed Colorado in the Sweet 16, then 5 seed Louisville or 8 seed Ole Miss in the Elite Eight with a win. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but Iowa a pretty decent favorite at minimum.
The Colorado vs Iowa Sweet 16 matchup is a battle between 2 atypical Elite 8 profiles.

Starting with Colorado, the Buffs check in with a national offensive efficiency rank (Her Hoop Stats O Rtg) of 57. Of the last 96 teams to make it to the Elite 8, none had an offensive efficiency rank below 50, and only 5 had an offensive efficiency rank below 30, 3 of which were elite (top 10) in adjusted defensive efficiency. Colorado checks in at # 15 (perhaps near elite) in adjusted defensive efficiency. In short, teams that look like Colorado on offense have a really hard time making it to the Elite 8.

At present, Iowa sits at # 45 in adjusted defensive efficiency (Her Hoop Stats D Rtg), which is lower than all but 3 of the last 96 teams to make the Elite 8. Moreover, only 6 of the last 96 teams to make the Elite 8 had an adjusted defensive efficiency ranking below 30. In short, teams that look like Iowa on defense have a really hard time making it to the Elite 8. But Bluder made it to the Elite 8 in 2019 with a slightly worse defense (#54), which tied for the second worse defense ever to make the Elite 8 since the advent of modern WBB stats (2009-10). This year's Iowa offense (rank # 2) is also somewhat higher ranked than the 2019 team (# 8), so the 2022-23 Iowa team is better (higher ranked) on both offense and defense than the 2019 team. Hoping that leads to the Elite 8 (and beyond).

We have a shot. Each game has its own dynamics. If we shoot well with Gabbie and Warnock contributing we are a tough out. Colorado has their mobile center and point guard as their big 2 scorers and defense to turn us over for easy scores. I take CC over theirs for outside shooting and passing. Theirs is super quick bur not elite in either shooting or assists. But if she has a hot night shooting along with others who knows. I like our chances

We have a shot. Each game has its own dynamics. If we shoot well with Gabbie and Warnock contributing we are a tough out. Colorado has their mobile center and point guard as their big 2 scorers and defense to turn us over for easy scores. I take CC over theirs for outside shooting and passing. Theirs is super quick bur not elite in either shooting or assists. But if she has a hot night shooting along with others who knows. I like our chances
I'll discuss it more when I do my game preview, but I think Iowa will play a lot of zone for some of the reasons you mention. Miller and Sherrod could be matchup issues in our player defense, but a zone should make it much harder for them to drive. Colorado also seems to take a bunch of two-point jumpers when they can't drive, and those are the shots the team wants them taking and that our zone is designed to give them.

Scouting Colorado.

I'd anticipate the following defensive assignments in man:
Gabbie on Sherrod (lightning quick PG who tends to get a bit out of control)
Kate on Formann (great outside shooter and efficient from 2 as well)
McKenna on Miller (6'3'' forward who plays more as a stretch 4 than a true 5)
Monika on Vonleh (6'3'' true center)

Those are their best 4 offensive players. Caitlin would guard whoever else.

Jaylyn Sherrod is definitely the motor behind the bulk of Colorado's offense. She will attack the rim at any opportunity and likes to operate off of ball screens. While not the best shooter, our defense and rim protection is bad enough that I could very much see her shooting above her average if we can't keep her out of the paint. Staying out of foul trouble would also be a concern.

In terms of their front court, I'm personally more worried about Aaronette Vonleh than Quay Miller. Vonleh is a true 5 who reminds me of a slightly more physical but less polished Czinano. I was surprised at how good Colorado can be at getting her the ball. That efficient post offense is something Colorado didn't have last season. (Vonleh transferred in after not playing much as a freshman at Arizona.) I think Monika would have her hands full guarding her without fouling.

Miller, while also 6'3'', is more of a stretch 4. She floats around the perimeter looking to shoot 3's, drive occasionally, or score on offensive rebounds. She was shooting lights out from 3 in the first half of the season, but through the month of February and in the conference tournament, she shot just 16 % (6 for 38) from 3. So sort of the reverse of Gabbie's season. In the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament she was 2 for 6... Given her inconsistencies, I'm very curious if our coaching staff will respect her as a shooter or not.

Colorado typically isn't a big 3 point shooting team, which should bode well for our zone. But in round one vs Middle Tennessee they got super hot from 3 and shot 13-27. So the shooting ability is certainly there... If we go zone the one player we absolutely can't leave open is Frida Formann, who is shooting nearly 40% on 6 3PA/game.

Last edited:

There's been a bunch of talk on here about Iowa's post situation next year without Monika. Unless there's an absolute banger of a post transfer, or unexpected transfers out, it looks like O'Grady and Goodman will be the leads. And hopefully Goodman has good health with her knee.

But I'm really curious about AJ Ediger. Obviously hasn't played much and is smaller than the others, but in her short stints she looks confident with a smooth athleticism on the court. I'm curious if perhaps she can project higher than we expect with the Jan Jensen treatment. If she somehow emerges then the 4/5 with Stuelke and her could be solid since Stuelke is a net positive defender and rebounder at the 4.

I keep hoping that South Carolina trips up before we get a chance to face them, but it doesn't look like that's happening today.

I keep hoping that South Carolina trips up before we get a chance to face them, but it doesn't look like that's happening today.
I think of all the teams left, Maryland and UConn are the two teams most likely to beat them. UConn because they might actually have the post players to hang with them inside + superior guards. Maryland is more of a long shot, but they do have the athleticism, and their 5-out style offense is more difficult with SC to matchup with. Of course, SC would still kill them on the glass.

I'd also give Virginia Tech a slim chance.

Anyone know if the U has access to final 4. Wife and I plan to go if we advance but would prefer an Iowa section

All season long I was really hopeful that Warnock would return for a 5th season, since it seemed glaringly obvious that her having good games was essential to us winning. She was much more difficult to neutralize than Czinano, much more steady. I also read that in terms of her minutes/production she was the *most* efficient guard in the B1G. It seemed like a no brainer to bring her back to make up for Czinano’s prorduction and I was initially kind of stumped why Marshall and Martin were offered spots over her.

However, now that we are where we are, I’ve become pretty okay with the judgment call. Warnock is an excellent 3 pt shooter and rebounder and she has improved her abilities in terms of running the floor and battling for balls, but among our top 8 players, she is our biggest liability from a TO perspective. You can see defenders laser in on her when the ball comes her way, trying to bump and fluster her, it works all too often.

I think Bluder realized that with Marshall and Martin returning along with Davis/McCabe continuing to improve, we’ll be just fine at the perimeter. Furthermore, Stuelke and Affolter will be able to make up for her rebounding. If Feuerbach recovers in time, she may also significantly contribute on both fronts. And most importantly, pretty much everyone mentioned here is a step up when it comes to ball handling (Stuelke is still a bit raw, but we know she’ll clean a lot of that up in time).

I should have known not to question Bluder.

Last edited:
All season long I was really hopeful that Warnock would return for a 5th season, since it seemed glaringly obvious that her having good games was essential to us winning. She was much more difficult to neutralize than Czinano, much more story. I also read that in terms of her minutes/production she was the *most* efficient guard in the B1G. It seemed like a no brainer to bring her back to make up for Czinano’s prorduction and I was initially kind of stumped why Marshall and Martin were offered spots over here.

However, now that we are where we are, I’ve become pretty okay with the judgment call. Warnock is an excellent 3 pt shooter and rebounder and she has improved her abilities in terms of running the floor and battle for balls, but among our top 8 players, she is our biggest liability from a TO perspective. You can see defenders laser in on her when the ball comes her way, trying to bump and fluster her, it works all too often.

I think Bluder realized that with Marshall and Martin returning along with Davis/McCabe continuing to improve, we’ll be just fine at the perimeter. Furthermore, Stuelke and Affolter will be able to make up for her rebounding. If Feuerbach recovers in time, she may also significantly contribute on both fronts. And most importantly, pretty much everyone mentioned here is a step up when it comes to ball handling (Stuelke is still a bit raw, but we know she’ll clean a lot of that up in time).

I thought that the ball was in Warnock's court on whether to return. She decided not to delay her entry into dental school and decided not to try to do it while continuing her basketball career.

I thought that the ball was in Warnock's court on whether to return. She decided not to delay her entry into dental school and decided not to try to do it while continuing her basketball career.
Perhaps. Feels more to me like a mutually beneficial decision. I just think that if Bluder had fought for her to come back, they could have made it work. Kids and schools always do when this thing arises.

All season long I was really hopeful that Warnock would return for a 5th season, since it seemed glaringly obvious that her having good games was essential to us winning. She was much more difficult to neutralize than Czinano, much more story. I also read that in terms of her minutes/production she was the *most* efficient guard in the B1G. It seemed like a no brainer to bring her back to make up for Czinano’s prorduction and I was initially kind of stumped why Marshall and Martin were offered spots over here.

However, now that we are where we are, I’ve become pretty okay with the judgment call. Warnock is an excellent 3 pt shooter and rebounder and she has improved her abilities in terms of running the floor and battle for balls, but among our top 8 players, she is our biggest liability from a TO perspective. You can see defenders laser in on her when the ball comes her way, trying to bump and fluster her, it works all too often.

Stuelke just needs more maturity, and I don't mean that in a belittling way, and to really improve her FT shooting. I don't understand the Feuerbach situation regarding her knee injury and rehab. I saw Goodman and Wetering on the bench after surgery with knee braces and of course they have played all year with them. The first time I saw Kylie on the bench she had no brace and seemed pretty normal regarding walking. Did she have a less serious injury than the other two? Just by watching the three situations, I would be surprised if she wasn't ready to go 100% this fall. Just my observation which means nada.

One of the better articles I've read about the team. I like that it puts the spotlight on all of our starters, not just the big two! Don't agree 100% with all of the author's claims but really appreciate what it was going for.

Reactions: JEDN and shikreto

One of the better articles I've read about the team. I like that it puts the spotlight on all of our starters, not just the big two! Don't agree 100% with all of the author's claims but really appreciate what it was going for.
I just finished up an article that does the same. Clark was the star of course, but it took every one of Iowa's starters, role players, reserves, and staff to get to the Final Four.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/caitlin-clark-leads-iowa-to-the-final-four-dreams-come-true

I just finished up an article that does the same. Clark was the star of course, but it took every one of Iowa's starters, role players, reserves, and staff to get to the Final Four.

https://iowa.rivals.com/news/caitlin-clark-leads-iowa-to-the-final-four-dreams-come-true
Thanks for sharing! Appreciate how you identified everyone's role and how you framed our current run as part of a narrative arc that extends so far back in time. Love it!

As you wrote about, our current run is especially rewarding considering some of the lows we experienced in the first half of the season (as well as the Creighton loss last year of course.) Fans and pundits relentlessly called Iowa overrated when we were ranked preseason #4. And quite frankly, our efforts against Drake, Kansas State, NC State, Illinois, and Michigan State did not prove them wrong. But as it turns out, we were one of the few preseason top 10 teams to actually live up to our ranking.

Naismith POY announced tomorrow (3/29) afternoon. Like all of the WBB POY awards, the Naismith has been really hard for a BIG player to win.* For those with late voting processes (Naismith, Wooden, Honda, and Wade), perhaps Iowa's and the BIG's NCAA performance can help push Clark over the top. (Jackie Stiles used her tournament performance to win 2 [Wade, Honda, not the Naismith] of the then 3 awards with traditionally late voting processes, but did not win either the AP or USBWA POY awards, where voting, I believe, has been historically completed pre-NCAA tournament.)

*Gustafson is the only BIG WBB player to win the Naismith (given since 1983), AP (since 1995), & USBWA (since 1988) POY awards.
Gustafson and Steph White of Purdue are the only BIG WBB players to win the Honda (since 1977).
No BIG WBB player has ever won the Wooden (began 2004).
Steph White of Purdue and Carol Ann Shudlick of Minnesota are the only BIG WBB winners of the Wade (given since 1978).

Michelle Edwards won the BIG's only WBCA POY award in 1988, an award that was discontinued after 2000, when the WBCA took over the Wade Trophy.

Reactions: undersized_post
Naismith POY announced tomorrow (3/29) afternoon. Like all of the WBB POY awards, the Naismith has been really hard for a BIG player to win.* For those with late voting processes (Naismith, Wooden, Honda, and Wade), perhaps Iowa's and the BIG's NCAA performance can help push Clark over the top. (Jackie Stiles used her tournament performance to win 2 [Wade, Honda, not the Naismith] of the then 3 awards with traditionally late voting processes, but did not win either the AP or USBWA POY awards, where voting, I believe, has been historically completed pre-NCAA tournament.)

*Gustafson is the only BIG WBB player to win the Naismith (given since 1983), AP (since 1995), & USBWA (since 1988) POY awards.
Gustafson and Steph White of Purdue are the only BIG WBB players to win the Honda (since 1977).
No BIG WBB player has ever won the Wooden (began 2004).
Steph White of Purdue and Carol Ann Shudlick of Minnesota are the only BIG WBB winners of the Wade (given since 1978).

Michelle Edwards won the BIG's only WBCA POY award in 1988, an award that was discontinued after 2000, when the WBCA took over the Wade Trophy.
If Clark doesn't sweep the POY awards, Iowa Twitter is going to melt down.

Just realized a nice example of growth for this program: Two of our players — Monika and Kate — can say they’ve been to two Elite 8s.

Pretty sure it’s been a long time since any of our athletes could say that. Very much establishes a certain level of excellence. Furthermore, Kate may be able to graduate having made 3.

Last edited:
Just realized a nice example of growth for this program: Two of our players — Monika and Kate — can say they’ve been to two Elite 8s.
I love that as well! Was thinking about Monika's class specifically:
18-19: Elite 8
10-21: Sweet 16
21-22: Round of 32
22-23: Final 4 (at least)

We obviously would have loved to have made a deeper run in 21-22, but as it stands on paper, it's cool that they advanced to a different level of the tournament in each of their years.

We obviously would have loved to have made a deeper run in 21-22, but as it stands on paper, it's cool that they advanced to a different level of the tournament in each of their years.
Mentally I always assign 2019-2020 as another Sweet Sixteen. We had a good chance of hosting that year before the tournament was cancelled. Obviously an upset could've happened, and the second round game would've probably been 55/45 or closer, but being able to mentally assume an outcome is the one benefit of the games not being played.

What an incredible run of success Czinano's class had.

Mentally I always assign 2019-2020 as another Sweet Sixteen. We had a good chance of hosting that year before the tournament was cancelled. Obviously an upset could've happened, and the second round game would've probably been 55/45 or closer, but being able to mentally assume an outcome is the one benefit of the games not being played.

What an incredible run of success Czinano's class had.
True -- this was also a really great season all around, so many upsets, including IU and MD. Undefeated at home. Really surprised a lot of people that year and then to top it off with Doyle being named B1G POY was cherry on the cake.

But as it turns out, we were one of the few preseason top 10 teams to actually live up to our ranking.
Top 5!!

Funnily enough, I've been thinking about IU's record the past few years (i.e., Grace Berger's tenure):

'19 - Round of 32
'21 - Elite 8
'22 - Sweet 16
'23 - Round of 32

I guess you'd rather be Czinano ;)

But if history offers any lessons....watch out for IU next year lol. But we all know that :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT