ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

Scrap the 5 out in favor of a more traditional offense. The talent is there but being misused. And practice should be focused on rebounding and defense.

Fast breaks off turnovers are killing us as well as 2nd Chance points.

For the love of God someone tell Bluder to play Goodman at least 15 minutes a game and perhaps play Goodman and Czinano at the same time.

OSU milked high low all night and Iowa never adjusted.

It'll be viewed as ripping kids who are busting their butts, but they make horrible decisions, can't play defense, are painfully careless with the ball, and are very unathletic.
With such a bad team with no redeeming qualities at all, it's a complete mystery that they scored 87 points and lost by only 5 at Ohio State

With such a bad team with no redeeming qualities at all, it's a complete mystery that they scored 87 points and lost by only 5 at Ohio State

Didn't say they were a bad team, and do have redeeming qualities, but I would stand by my points.
They are a decent-to-good team, but not a great team. Your pointing out they scored 87 points and lost would be very similar to the men; you don't win if you can't play defense.

Scrap the 5 out in favor of a more traditional offense. The talent is there but being misused. And practice should be focused on rebounding and defense.

Fast breaks off turnovers are killing us as well as 2nd Chance points.

For the love of God someone tell Bluder to play Goodman at least 15 minutes a game and perhaps play Goodman and Czinano at the same time.

OSU milked high low all night and Iowa never adjusted.
I'm truly curious what was Iowa milking yesterday and all season to score that many points a game. If Iowa scraps 5 out for something better will it average 95 points a game?

Reactions: LinusPF
I'm truly curious what was Iowa milking yesterday and all season to score that many points a game. If Iowa scraps 5 out for something better will it average 95 points a game?

If we cut back on turnovers and fast break points we won't need to score 95 but can still have a high power offense.

Iowa averaged 80+ running the triangle and two during MGs final two seasons.

IMHO we are more forward heavy and lack guards. Doyle and M Meyer could penetrate and create their own shot.

Clark can but Marshall is tentative. We are putting up point but our offense is not efficient. We've had long scoring droughts. We're not getting 2nd chance points. Turnovers leading to points the other way. Rinse wash repeat.

We need an offense that compliments the defense and puts the team in a position to win

Mac Meyer was an excellent stand still shooter but not a great penetrator while Doyle was a great penetrator but average shooter. Clark is outstanding at both but is an average at best defender.

Offense largely isn't this team's issue. This is probably the best offensive team we've had in the last 5 years, except maybe the Elite 8 team, which had Gustafson, but no scoring guard like Clark. That team succeeded despite averaging nearly as many turnovers as this team does.

The problem is defense. Man doesn't work well because most of the players aren't great individual defenders and are even worse in help defense. The 2-3 zone doesn't work because they aren't good at rotations and also have issues rebounding out of it like last night.

They do okay in stretches with the triangle and 2 because the 3 in zone have a really simple zone to play, and because it's a lot easier to play man when you explicitly have no help responsibilities. It also keeps our best rebounders around the basket. But the triangle and 2 is also fairly easy to scheme against, especially because our 4s and 5s aren't particularly agile.

I hope the team focuses more on defense moving forward, but I'm also worried. When last season ended everyone said the Iowa men's team could be elite if they played better defense. They even brought in a freshman class that is largely better at defending than the players that were on the roster. But right now the Iowa men's team doesn't look much better at defense than it was last year. And there's a good chance that lack of defense will keep it from achieving the heights it otherwise could have. I hope the women's team doesn't make the same mistake. Adding depth at guard and at the 4 could certainly help.

Reactions: hagarwood
Kate Martin has been quite effective going to the basket, and dare I say looks athletic. She's getting better all the time.

Does the incoming recruit A.J. Ediger play a similar game to Warnock? Warnock is great at rebounding and shooting threes but she doesn't have a good handle and sometimes disappears on offense, which is usually when Iowa loses.

Kate Martin has been quite effective going to the basket, and dare I say looks athletic. She's getting better all the time.

Does the incoming recruit A.J. Ediger play a similar game to Warnock? Warnock is great at rebounding and shooting threes but she doesn't have a good handle and sometimes disappears on offense, which is usually when Iowa loses.

A.J Ediger has a far better post game than Warnock & also can shoot the 3/mid-range but Warnock is the better long range shooter. A.J also has more size at 6'3 & is more physical which will help. With Czinano, Goodman, O'Grady at the post along with Warnock & Ediger at the 4 that would be the most likely rotation next season. Affolter will bring an aggressive mindset on both ends of the floor to the 3 position. Iowa appears set next season at the 3-5 spots.

Kate has been fantastic this season. She is a huge bright spot in what has been a very difficult season. She rebounds, plays tough defense, and runs the offense well. But when she's not on the floor Iowa really struggles.

Warnock is a great spot up shooter, especially when she the ball is kicked out from the post and she's tough close to the basket. But she can't create for herself and unfortunately when she's not aggressive or if she misses some shots, she completely disappears.

I think Iowa will be a more better team next year, and having some additional size will certainly help.

Despite Iowa's woes this year, I don't think the issues is talent. I think what Iowa is solely lacking is awareness and confidence. I get so frustrated when I see a player standing whether it's offense or defense. There's been way too many deer in the headlights moments. I get even more frustrated when players are hesitant. I've seen Clark make so many cross court passes and then the player holds the ball instead of quickly releasing for an open shot, only to have the defender close out and we end up settling for a worse shot. I've seen so many defenders lose backside contain over help in the paint and fail to identify perimeter threats . It happened about 10 times in a row last night with OSU going high low. I've seen so many players fail to box out.

As bad as the men are at playing defense, there's times when the women are far worse. We've lost to really good teams but I don't think there's a huge discrepancy in talent between Iowa and the teams that have beat us to date.

I want to see the ladies winning. And there have been flashes of brilliance. The comeback against ISU, the 3rd quarter against Minnesota, the complete domination if Illinois. I really hope Bluder can find a way to simplify things and finish this season strong. But my patience for Bluder is wearing thin. Her teams, despite MGs last two seasons, seem to have a lot of the same deficiencies. If Bluder can't turn it around and at least get to the Sweet 16, then it might be time to look elsewhere. And if Iowa were going to take a shot at Jenny B before even bigger fish come calling it should be after this season. Bluder has had a great run, but I don't have confidence she can get Iowa to the next level.

Kate has really come on this season after a slow start, she fills in the stat sheet. McKenna can create for herself with the correct spacing, she's done it this year some with the right matchup but she is also identified in scouting reports this year. Look back at the 2020 Michigan St. (Gustafson retirement game), she took over on drives to the basket in the 4th quarter winning the game for Iowa. Is she the best at it, no, but she certainly is very capable.

Iowa has never been a good defensive team under Bluder, that isn't their identity as it was under Vivian. They can play good defense but just don't seem to be able to do it for an entire game & it can get frustrating. One area we've seen a tremendous improvement in this year, in most games, is rebounding. Outside the Gustafson years it has been historically deficient so it is nice to see the team picking that up. Now we can hope for more consistent defense efforts.

I don't have a problem with Bluder, she has been very successful even taking last years team higher than most anyone figured possible & recruiting has never been better under her either. With what she has committed through '22 that is three straight very good classes which hasn't happened under her that I can recall which excites me. I too like Jennie Barancyzk & hope she gets a shot at Iowa one day, but when you look at it, her overall style isn't much different than that of Bluder.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I am really excited for the future of this program with the new recruits we have coming in. Iowa has never been a defensive program and that has a hurt us in a lot of games but even then the program has still had a lot of success.

Ladies trailing to Indiana another 5 minute drought on offense. Half the reason the defense is so bad is because the fast pace and scoring droughts and rebounding woes forces then to play defense 2/3 of the game. This is why Bluder needs step. Like Fran she refuses to adjust and it shows in the loss column. The losses this year are on Bluder and not the players

I disagree. With the men's team's losing streak, I can point to significant decisions made by Fran in every single game that I think have contributed to the loss. Much, but not all, of that has to do with lineup combinations.

I've criticized some of Coach Bluder's decisions throughout the season, but I don't have major in-game critiques most nights. The simple truth is that defense is this team's biggest issue, and they aren't good in any of the defenses that Iowa runs. Certainly some of the issue is the coaches not focusing enough on defense in practice, but I think a larger part is execution.

Recent Iowa teams have played just as fast. Recent Iowa teams have had rebounding issues (this year's team is actually better than last year's at rebounding). Only this team in the last few years has struggled this badly on defense.

Reactions: LinusPF and jockos
Iowa women play the same defense men play. Watch a lot and hope they miss the open shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurt Warner
I thought Iowa looked gassed and needed a timeout when Indiana just started their 4th quarter run. I know Lisa likes to save her time outs for later in the game, but there was no later. They used so much energy to get back in it from down 10 there was nothing left in the tank. Monika has continued her regression on defense this season & Warnock (who played good on both ends) was so winded to start that Indiana run she couldn't get back on transition defense. Lisa in this game appeared to have lost confidence in her bench outside of Taiwo & short stints for Goodman.

The players have shown the ability to defend for maybe a quarter at a time, but the desire to put a little more effort into it isn't there. I like coach Raina & Abby but almost wish Lisa would have opted for one of those spots more of a defensive minded coach who would teach & stress fundamentals while holding them accountable. I know Iowa won't ever be a defensive juggernaut, but they can do better.

Reactions: LinusPF
Clark can be amazing, but in a tight game late you just cannot turn it over. Late turnover on drive just as in Ohio St just killed us. She is a freshman, both Logic and Doyle improved a lot. She will too

A coach who knows her team struggles on defense should look to slow the game down. I know the fast paced offense is fun for the players but it's not a winning strategy when a team struggles to defend. Defense is more exhausting than offense. When a team with a poor defense runs such a faced paced offense and plays with a short bench the players aren't going to have the legs to defend. The only way this team will improve on defense is to play a slower more deliberate offense and control the clock and to instill a bench rotation to ensure the players have fresh legs.

Last edited:
Clark can be amazing, but in a tight game late you just cannot turn it over. Late turnover on drive just as in Ohio St just killed us. She is a freshman, both Logic and Doyle improved a lot. She will too

She wouldn't have so many turnovers if she didn't have so much of the scoring responsibility on her shoulder. Bluder needs to design more plays for Kate, Gabbie, and McKenna to take the pressure of Caitlyn . If the majority of the offense is Caitlyn or force the ball into the paint there will be turnovers.

A coach who knows her team struggles on defense should look to slow the game down. I know the fast paced offense is fun for the players but it's not a winning strategy when a team struggles to defend. Defense is more exhausting than offense. When a team with a poor defense runs such a faced paced offense and plays with a short bench the players aren't going to have the legs to defend. The only way this team will improve on defense is to play a slower more deliberate offense and control the clock and to instill a bench rotation to ensure the players have fresh legs.

But when you slow the tempo down, you make the offense worse. A significant number of our turnovers and bad shots come in half court sets when nothing develops early in the possession. We try to hard to force passes to Czinano or Clark thinks hero ball is the only option left. With the defense as bad as it is, I don't think slowing the offense is the answer. It just hurts our biggest strength without any guarantee it would significantly improve the defense.

But when you slow the tempo down, you make the offense worse. A significant number of our turnovers and bad shots come in half court sets when nothing develops early in the possession. We try to hard to force passes to Czinano or Clark thinks hero ball is the only option left. With the defense as bad as it is, I don't think slowing the offense is the answer. It just hurts our biggest strength without any guarantee it would significantly improve the defense.

Slowing the tempo down doesn't necessarily hurt the offense. Bluder needs to teach players to move the ball with purpose. The turnovers and bad shots happen when players hold the ball or dribble without purpose. Bluder has failed miserabley at getting this point across to players. When the first look is taken away the team has had very limited success which is why often the only option has been to drive into traffic. We're missing the side to side effective passing or post kick outs that were so successful lAst season. Too many choreographed passes or hesitant shooters. If Bluder can slow tempo AND teach players to pass with purpose and to not hesitate when there's daylight to shoot/drive instead of holding the ball the offense will be efficient. But there's no purpose and no sense of urgency when players are open or driving lanes are presented and falls on Bluder.

Iowa's offense isn't a problem, they remain one of the top scoring teams in the BIG not to mention the entire country. If you slow the offense down it takes away what they do well (hurts the rhythm) & leaves them with fewer possessions putting more pressure on the defense which we all know is this teams glaring weakness. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

The biggest issue is they need to work with Monika on how guard the basket the way Gustafson, Stewart, & even Doolittle did. If you have the inside presence who is aware, talking, & directing things it makes things much easier as the zone shifts. If Monika can't do the talking, Kate Martin needs to use her voice as a captain out there. Defense like rebounding, is more about ones desire to want to do it, they've improved the rebounding, & we've seen glimpses of the ability to play defense so we know they can improve at least some.

Iowa's offense isn't a problem, they remain one of the top scoring teams in the BIG not to mention the entire country. If you slow the offense down it takes away what they do well (hurts the rhythm) & leaves them with fewer possessions putting more pressure on the defense which we all know is this teams glaring weakness. That doesn't make a lot of sense.

The biggest issue is they need to work with Monika on how guard the basket the way Gustafson, Stewart, & even Doolittle did. If you have the inside presence who is aware, talking, & directing things it makes things much easier as the zone shifts. If Monika can't do the talking, Kate Martin needs to use her voice as a captain out there. Defense like rebounding, is more about ones desire to want to do it, they've improved the rebounding, & we've seen glimpses of the ability to play defense so we know they can improve at least some.

The offense is the problem because points off turnovers, time of possession and lack of transition defense is the problem.

Couple that with the fact that no one has fresh legs at the end of the game to defend due to trying to maintain the pace.

Iowa can actually string together stops and has stretches where they can run.

But they also tend to go give up huge runs because they turn the ball over and give up too many offensive rebounds.

No team can be expected to defend for as long as iowa does. If you break down numbers I am willing to bet every loss Iowa has this year, they also lost the turnover battle as well as time of possession.

You also need to analyze more than just scoring. In iowa wins they had success from 3 and shot tons of Fts. But you can't live and die by the three and expect friendly whistles.

This team has tons of empty possessions and misses way too many forced shots. Improving effeciency and reducing empty possessions would negate quite a few fast break points for our opponents.

Last edited:
The offense is the problem because points off turnovers, time of possession and lack of transition defense is the problem.

Couple that with the fact that no one has fresh legs at the end of the game to defend due to trying to maintain the pace.

But they also tend to go give up huge runs because they turn the ball over and give up too many offensive rebounds.

No team can be expected to defend for as long as iowa does. If you break down numbers I am willing to bet every loss Iowa has this year, they also lost the turnover battle as well as time of possession.

You also need to analyze more than just scoring. In iowa wins they had success from 3 and shot tons of Fts. But you can't live and die by the three and expect friendly whistles.

This team has tons of empty possessions and misses way too many forced shots. Improving effeciency and reducing empty possessions would negate quite a few fast break points for our opponents.

This analysis ignores that Iowa made the Elite 8 while playing the exact same style and averaging nearly 14 turnovers per game just 2 years ago. And I'd say making the Elite 8 is pretty close to the ceiling for this program right now. Maybe if we get a ton of breaks a Final 4 is possible. Or maybe the uptick in recruiting can raise the ceiling further. But Coach Bluder's system has taken the program about as high as it can go and very recently.

Could another system have also gotten the 2018-2019 team to the Elite 8? Maybe. But why change from a system we already know can help a recent team reach its ceiling?

I honestly believe that if this team commits to improving its defense and developing a few depth pieces that Coach Bluder trusts, that it can compete for Big Ten titles and Elite 8s in the next few years. But they have to buy in and make defense a focus. That's something the men's team couldn't do, and likely the reason the men's team won't reach its ceiling.

This analysis ignores that Iowa made the Elite 8 while playing the exact same style and averaging nearly 14 turnovers per game just 2 years ago. And I'd say making the Elite 8 is pretty close to the ceiling for this program right now. Maybe if we get a ton of breaks a Final 4 is possible. Or maybe the uptick in recruiting can raise the ceiling further. But Coach Bluder's system has taken the program about as high as it can go and very recently.

Could another system have also gotten the 2018-2019 team to the Elite 8? Maybe. But why change from a system we already know can help a recent team reach its ceiling?

I honestly believe that if this team commits to improving its defense and developing a few depth pieces that Coach Bluder trusts, that it can compete for Big Ten titles and Elite 8s in the next few years. But they have to buy in and make defense a focus. That's something the men's team couldn't do, and likely the reason the men's team won't reach its ceiling.

Iowa was running the triangle offense when they made it the Elite 8 and not the five out motion offense. Iowa switched to five out last season but still ran a good deal of the triangle when Ollinger was on the floor and 5 out when she wasn't

This is really the first year of solely five out . I much prefer triangle with high low in the paint. It draws more defenders into the paint and frees up shooters and driving lanes.

This year playing five out without the extra post presence at the top of the key defenses have collapsed more on Monica because we don't have four consistent outside threats who can create for themselves and often screens are late and/ or our guards with the exception of Clark are tentative.

While our scoring is high our efficiency is down and we have more/ longer scoring droughts and more empty possessions.

Last edited:

Actually, when it comes to defense their transition defense is what they do the best. Caitlin is going to have turnovers, she's young, aggressive, & playing with players who aren't near her level of talent so it is going to take time. She is unapologetic for trying to make things happen & I agree with her, look at her stats for what she brings to the team everything but turnovers is great. But as the team grows & gets more depth coming in those will come in line. I don't think anybody thought this season wouldn't be filled with ups & downs with what 8 underclassmen (athletically).

Iowa has turned the ball over more this year than their opponents (actual stat) but is still winning & right in most every game, if the offense was a problem that wouldn't & couldn't be happening considering the level of defense. Even dating back to my coaching days in D1 (too many moons to count) I don't ever recall seeing Time of Possession tracked in basketball. We looked at a lot of other metrics but I don't recall that.

The current lack of depth was hurt by a couple of previous recruiting classes not working out, that is why I said I am really excited by the 20-22 classes because under Bluder those quality of classes strung together hasn't ever happened. Still they have made S16 & Elite 8 despite that. I will say this for Lisa, she uses her subs expertly at timely spots using them right before or after media timeouts to extend breaks. It just didn't work out in this last game because Megan Meyer wasn't ready for Indiana's guard defense, Logan Cook wasn't either, & Sharon Goodman gave it her all against a likely All-BIG post when Monika got some fouls so that hurt the depth in that particular game.

Iowa doesn't run a 5 out offense, it is the read & react or as some call it the 4 out 1 in. It is the same thing they ran 99% of last season. It does have some triangle principles but the options & reads are different. All they need to make it work is a true post & point guard per Lisa Bluder.

Last edited:
Iowa was running the triangle offense when they made it the Elite 8 and not the five out motion offense. Iowa switched to five out last season but still ran a good deal of the triangle when Ollinger was on the floor and 5 out when she wasn't

This is really the first year of solely five out . I much prefer triangle with high low in the paint. It draws more defenders into the paint and frees up shooters and driving lanes.

This year playing five out without the extra post presence at the top of the key defenses have collapsed more on Monica because we don't have four consistent outside threats who can create for themselves and often screens are late and/ or our guards with the exception of Clark are tentative.

While our scoring is high our efficiency is down and we have more/ longer scoring droughts and more empty possessions.

The half court offense has changed in the last two years, but the team's tempo and focus on playing quickly on offense hasn't.

Playing Warnock in the high post would be a pretty big waste of her skill set. She's the best three-point shooter on the team when set.

The only other way to have a high and low post this year would be to play Goodman and Czinano together. That might be intriguing on offense, but I think it could be a disaster on defense. 2-3 zone wouldn't be an option, and I don't think they'd be fast enough to make the triangle and two work either. It would also keep Warnock on the bench, because I don't think she's a viable option at the 3 in that lineup.

The half court offense has changed in the last two years, but the team's tempo and focus on playing quickly on offense hasn't.

Playing Warnock in the high post would be a pretty big waste of her skill set. She's the best three-point shooter on the team when set.

The only other way to have a high and low post this year would be to play Goodman and Czinano together. That might be intriguing on offense, but I think it could be a disaster on defense. 2-3 zone wouldn't be an option, and I don't think they'd be fast enough to make the triangle and two work either. It would also keep Warnock on the bench, because I don't think she's a viable option at the 3 in that lineup.

The triangle offense for it to work as intended requires the correct talent. Braydon is right, this Iowa team doesn't have the options needed & last years team would have struggled with it too as AO wasn't a good enough of shooter to space the lane area.

With what Iowa has coming in & if Monika decides to take advantage of an extra season the triangle would work. However, I don't think it would be best for Caitlin's talent & not what they recruited her to run.

Last edited:
Actually, when it comes to defense their transition defense is what they do the best. Caitlin is going to have turnovers, she's young, aggressive, & playing with players who aren't near her level of talent so it is going to take time. She is unapologetic for trying to make things happen & I agree with her, look at her stats for what she brings to the team everything but turnovers is great. But as the team grows & gets more depth coming in those will come in line. I don't think anybody thought this season wouldn't be filled with ups & downs with what 8 underclassmen (athletically).

Iowa has turned the ball over more this year than their opponents (actual stat) but is still winning & right in most every game, if the offense was a problem that wouldn't & couldn't be happening considering the level of defense. Even dating back to my coaching days in D1 (too many moons to count) I don't ever recall seeing Time of Possession tracked in basketball. We looked at a lot of other metrics but I don't recall that.

The current lack of depth was hurt by a couple of previous recruiting classes not working out, that is why I said I am really excited by the 20-22 classes because under Bluder those quality of classes strung together hasn't ever happened. Still they have made S16 & Elite 8 despite that. I will say this for Lisa, she uses her subs expertly at timely spots using them right before or after media timeouts to extend breaks. It just didn't work out in this last game because Megan Meyer wasn't ready for Indiana's guard defense, Logan Cook wasn't either, & Sharon Goodman gave it her all against a likely All-BIG post when Monika got some fouls so that hurt the depth in that particular game.

Iowa doesn't run a 5 out offense, it is the read & react or as some call it the 4 out 1 in. It is the same thing they ran 99% of last season. It does have some triangle principles but the options & reads are different. All they need to make it work is a true post & point guard per Lisa Bluder.
the team starts 1 freshman, 3 sophomores and a junior which shows how young we are but points out a couple recruiting classes that didn't give us starters

Can someone please summarize what the 2021 recruiting class will bring to the team next year. I am familiar with the names but I do not know what there skill set is nor how it fits in with Iowa's exciting players. Thanks.

A.J Ediger is a 6'3 PF (4) with range out to the 3 point line & a better post game than Warnock due to her size & strength. Her range on offense should keep the spacing with Monika in the post while keeping driving lanes open for the guards.

Addison O'Grady is a 6'4 true post, she's played with the #1 player in the nation for '23 in 6'7 Lauren Betts in HS & AAU. I don't know much about her overall game other than what the coaches have said, she's a strong inside presence. I did read a while back where she was working on developing her outside shot to space the floor when playing with Lauren Betts. Someone else hopefully can add more.

Sydney Affolter is a 5'11 SF (3-2). Strong off the dribble & in transition she has been described as a downhill type of player who gets to the line a lot. Shoots a high FT%, knocks down the 3, should help on the boards too as she will complement Kate Martin well. If other options at the 2 don't work out, it is possible she could see minutes there too. She should fit right in with no problem.

Hope this helps, hopefully others can add more.

I watched a game or two of O'Grady's when she committed. From my notes, she's good at finishing around the basket and has some decent post moves. She can shoot all the way out to the three-point line, but I'm not sure that Iowa will be able to use that skill much, because I don't think she's athletic enough to play the 4 in Iowa's current system. She could probably play the 4 in the same way that Hannah Stewart did a couple years ago, but as jockos mentioned, I don't envision Iowa going back to that offense. I thought she was also a decent rebounder and defender. She could be more aggressive on defense, but that's a note I make for most recruits.

My overall takeaway is that she is a 5 in Iowa's system, and she's fairly well rounded overall. That said, I think playing time might be difficult for her. Czinano will be the presumed starter at the 5 for another year (or 2 if she takes the extra year). Goodman already looks like a solid defender, and if she figures things out on offense (a good bet with this coaching staff) I think she's next in line to start. Iowa also has more forward depth coming in the 2022 class.

I haven't watched Ediger and Affolter yet, but from reports, I'm hopeful both will have an immediate impact. We desparately need an upgrade at the backup 4 spot so Warnock doesn't need to play so many minutes. Ediger seems to be the highest rated player from this class, and has an intriguing skill set.

We also need a wing that can beat people off the dribble and still shoot well. Martin is starting to provide that, but she needs to do it more. If Affolter can beat people off the dribble regularly that gives me hope that she can also be a good rebounder and defender.

A.J Ediger is a 6'3 PF (4) with range out to the 3 point line & a better post game than Warnock due to her size & strength. Her range on offense should keep the spacing with Monika in the post while keeping driving lanes open for the guards.

Addison O'Grady is a 6'4 true post, she's played with the #1 player in the nation for '23 in 6'7 Lauren Betts in HS & AAU. I don't know much about her overall game other than what the coaches have said, she's a strong inside presence. I did read a while back where she was working on developing her outside shot to space the floor when playing with Lauren Betts. Someone else hopefully can add more.

Sydney Affolter is a 5'11 SF (3-2). Strong off the dribble & in transition she has been described as a downhill type of player who gets to the line a lot. Shoots a high FT%, knocks down the 3, should help on the boards too as she will complement Kate Martin well. If other options at the 2 don't work out, it is possible she could see minutes there too. She should fit right in with no problem.

Hope this helps, hopefully others can add more.

As someone who thinks lack of athleticism is a huge challenge for Iowa, I think it is uncertain how much the '21 class will help in this regard. I have not seen the three signees play, but ESPN describes both Ediger and O'Grady as "blue-collar," which sometimes seems to be a synonym for not overly athletic. Ediger committed to Iowa so early that it is hard to tell much from her offer list. O'Grady had offers from Washington, Utah and Colorado in the PAC 12, but these are second division teams in the PAC 12. Her HS & AAU teammate had offers from the top of the PAC 12, and national powers, but they passed on O'Grady. Still, the Iowa coaches seem pumped about O'Grady, and they know more than a little bit about post players.

From comments from those that have seen Affolter play, it seems that she may help at least somewhat with athleticism and toughness. Her offer list is also the best of the three '21 signees.

Iowa missed on g Adalia McKenzie, who would have helped with the athleticism deficit.

As someone who thinks lack of athleticism is a huge challenge for Iowa, I think it is uncertain how much the '21 class will help in this regard. I have not seen the three signees play, but ESPN describes both Ediger and O'Grady as "blue-collar," which sometimes seems to be a synonym for not overly athletic. Ediger committed to Iowa so early that it is hard to tell much from her offer list. O'Grady had offers from Washington, Utah and Colorado in the PAC 12, but these are second division teams in the PAC 12. Her HS & AAU teammate had offers from the top of the PAC 12, and national powers, but they passed on O'Grady. Still, the Iowa coaches seem pumped about O'Grady, and they know more than a little bit about post players.

From comments from those that have seen Affolter play, it seems that she may help at least somewhat with athleticism and toughness. Her offer list is also the best of the three '21 signees.

Iowa missed on g Adalia McKenzie, who would have helped with the athleticism deficit.
Thanks for the information. I thought they also had a 3 point shooting guard from Lincoln, Nebraska. She must be '22. I tend to get our '21 recruits confused as all of their last names and most of their first names start with vowels. Too similar for my simple mind.

Thanks for the information. I thought they also had a 3 point shooting guard from Lincoln, Nebraska. She must be '22. I tend to get our '21 recruits confused as all of their last names and most of their first names start with vowels. Too similar for my simple mind.
Taylor McCabe from Nebraska (Fremont I think) is part of the '22 class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT