ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

56.5% shooting in the first half, but 14 TOs!
Rest of team shooting well, but Warnock with no shot attempts in the first half is stupid.

56.5% shooting in the first half, but 14 TOs!
Rest of team shooting well, but Warnock with no shot attempts in the first half is stupid.

Warnock’s complete inability to take a perimeter player off the bounce makes her a potted plant on offense.

Another close loss. The BIG is so deep this year and it's unfortunate that this is a team that really lacks confidence. Players don't trust their own ability. Other than Monica, they pass up too many open looks. I know you look for good shots, but sometimes you have to take opportunities when daylight presents itself. A lot of the turnovers tonight came off bad passes when players passed up shots.

I know turnovers were the big story of this loss, but this team's continued inability to get stops in man or 2-3 zone is my biggest concern for the next couple years.

The last few teams have all turned the ball over a lot. The difference is previous teams have gotten enough stops to survive the turnovers. This team hasn't against the upper half of the conference.

I know turnovers were the big story of this loss, but this team's continued inability to get stops in man or 2-3 zone is my biggest concern for the next couple years.

The last few teams have all turned the ball over a lot. The difference is previous teams have gotten enough stops to survive the turnovers. This team hasn't against the upper half of the conference.

They got quite a few stops when they switched to the triangle and two zone. However, the turnovers led to a ton of fast break runouts for NW that were compounded by fouling late. Bluder needs to coach her team that sometimes you just have to let players go and regroup on the next possession, especially when the opposing team is already in the bonus

Also NW had an advantage in offensive rebounds. Two many second chance points although four or five of those boards should have been over the back calls against NW.

BTN looks to have given Kathleen Doyle a big challenger for her first co-anchoring of a game (Ohio State/Indiana) right after this game, basically trying to sound neutral after Iowa lost the second of its last 44 games at home, looking to be a neutral party in calling the game for Ohio State as the team that broke that streak a short time ago before today's loss, and also who was the team that beat Iowa in her last game she played last year in the Big Ten tournament too. You can watch it now. Cohost just "apologized" to Kathleen right now when he mentioned Ohio State as a "streak buster".

Warnock’s complete inability to take a perimeter player off the bounce makes her a potted plant on offense.
Ya, but she's a good spot shooter from deep and can get open for closer shots. She averages in double-figures. DAMN - Refs were horrible. Pulliam and Burton get every single call.

They got quite a few stops when they switched to the triangle and two zone. However, the turnovers led to a ton of fast break runouts for NW that were compounded by fouling late. Bluder needs to coach her team that sometimes you just have to let players go and regroup on the next possession, especially when the opposing team is already in the bonus

Also NW had an advantage in offensive rebounds. Two many second chance points although four or five of those boards should have been over the back calls against NW.

The triangle and two is a good situational defense. If you shift to it mid game it can disrupt your opponents for a time. Against the right opponent it can even be the best defense for an extended period. But stay in it too long, and it's really easy to attack.

By the end of the game, Northwestern was getting great shots every possession. In a normal year, we'd switch back to 2-3 or man. But this year we're so bad in those, that they really aren't the answer either.

Ya, but she's a good spot shooter from deep and can get open for closer shots. She averages in double-figures . . .

I think she is better than just a good spot shooter from deep. She is an asset to the team, but on a team loaded with players who cannot create off the bounce, she can be neutralized on the perimeter by athletes who meet her on the catch. That’s what NW did to her today.

I think she is better than just a good spot shooter from deep. She is an asset to the team, but on a team loaded with players who cannot create off the bounce, she can be neutralized on the perimeter by athletes who meet her on the catch. That’s what NW did to her today.

They play hard and compete. Team is just a couple of good players short of being good. Collectively they just can't defend good teams. Period. Bluder does a nice job of mixing defenses and trying to slow down the opponent by giving them different looks. But eventually they run out of steam and in the fourth quarter the good teams are getting whatever shot they want.

If they keep playing hard and playing together they will improve. But they need to add some players in the upcoming recruiting classes.

Reactions: AMAYS and haightt
BTN looks to have given Kathleen Doyle a big challenger for her first co-anchoring of a game (Ohio State/Indiana) right after this game, basically trying to sound neutral after Iowa lost the second of its last 44 games at home, looking to be a neutral party in calling the game for Ohio State as the team that broke that streak a short time ago before today's loss, and also who was the team that beat Iowa in her last game she played last year in the Big Ten tournament too. You can watch it now. Cohost just "apologized" to Kathleen right now when he mentioned Ohio State as a "streak buster".
I was just wondering what Doyle was up to these days, after leaving the club in Poland. I believe she studied in some field related to media, so this job is right up her alley. She almost qualifies as a student announcer!

They play hard and compete. Team is just a couple of good players short of being good. Collectively they just can't defend good teams. Period. Bluder does a nice job of mixing defenses and trying to slow down the opponent by giving them different looks. But eventually they run out of steam and in the fourth quarter the good teams are getting whatever shot they want.

If they keep playing hard and playing together they will improve. But they need to add some players in the upcoming recruiting classes.

Really wish that Bluder would get more minutes for Jansen. I do like seeing Martin initiating the offense a little bit and having Clark off the ball. Wish they would play Goodman and Monica together some and look for the mismatch (if they are going to play zone, it wouldn't be a huge problem defensively).

Here is how I would divide up the minutes. You're welcome. hahahaha
PG - Clark 32, Meyer 8
SG - Marshall 25, Jansen 10, Meyer 5
W - Martin 25, Jensen 5, Sevillian/Taiwo 5
PF - Warnock 20 , Czinano 10, Martin 5, Cook 5
P - Czinano 22, Goodman 15, Cook 3

But that's what I don't understand, because at the last part of last season, she was taking others to the basket and scoring and getting some and ones. I don't understand why she isn't doing it this year. I believe she's a really good player, and is and will be a valuable player in her career.

Reactions: LinusPF
But that's what I don't understand, because at the last part of last season, she was taking others to the basket and scoring and getting some and ones. I don't understand why she isn't doing it this year. I believe she's a really good player, and is and will be a valuable player in her career.

When she was matched up with a slow footed 4, she could drive them. But NW doesn't have any of those this year. Against any kind of foot speed, she is a pure stationary shooter, and a darn good one.

Czinano turned the ball over a few times too many in the first half. Glad Iowa didn't turn away from her, as she then made 17 of 19 field goals. The two misses late in the game were big though, as the score was very tight at the time. Had she made those, Northwestern wouldn't have distanced itself enough from Iowa to force Iowa to foul them. Despite all the turnovers, free throw discrepancies and Marshall and Warnock scoring 4 points total between them, the game was still just a couple of shots from Czinano or another 3-pointer made by Clark away from being a different outcome.

I am no expert, BUT I wish Gabbie Marshall would be much more aggressive when she has the ball. She can hit the open shot and make space for herself if she needs too. She seems to think too much on offense. Might be better off if she just let herself play the game.

Breathe on Pulliam and they call a foul. Burton too.

Lots of over the back calls that should have been made against NW we're not called and both charges against Iowa were BS. The one against Clark the defender was not set and against Taiwo should have been an illegal screen or tripping foul. Iowa has suffered from very poor officiating at Carver and the officials last night were particularly bad. the female official was biased in her calls IMHO and she was equally terrible working the OSU game

Iowa v Minnesota today. Seems like 2 teams headed in opposite directions. Still, a winnable game that may be needed for Iowa to avoid a long losing streak.

Last edited:
47-41 at halftime. Czinano and Clark in double figures. Martin and Marshall with 8 a piece. Martin sat most of the 2nd Q with 2 fouls otherwise the lead might be bigger

It's amazing that Iowa can absolutely bury you if the opponent is not so good. Czinano has definitely stepped up on her shooting. It seems that she is working towards a 90% shooting percentage.

I wonder how Minnesota fans are feeling about Whalen. It's her third season, and for a second consecutive year they're going to finish in the bottom half on the conference. I think the broadcast said they are a really young team, but so are we, and we're quite a bit better as of now. I'm sure she's a ways from the hot seat because she's a legend in the state, but I haven't been impressed with her tenure so far.

That said, this was a much-needed win. We looked good defensively for most of the game, and cut down on the turnovers quite a bit.

Reactions: mphawk
I wonder how Minnesota fans are feeling about Whalen. It's her third season, and for a second consecutive year they're going to finish in the bottom half on the conference. I think the broadcast said they are a really young team, but so are we, and we're quite a bit better as of now. I'm sure she's a ways from the hot seat because she's a legend in the state, but I haven't been impressed with her tenure so far.

That said, this was a much-needed win. We looked good defensively for most of the game, and cut down on the turnovers quite a bit.

The fans are frustrated with the level of success but seem to trust in Whalen based on their message board. When she was hired expectations were through the roof but reality set in once conference play started in her first year. She believes success is coming soon as her players mature & she improves as a coach, she has a good attitude about her improving some former star players ego wouldn't allow for that. She's also developing relationships with local HS coaches & has some good commitments from future in state players. She once said if she can achieve the level of success Lisa Bluder has at Iowa she'd be happy with that.

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/forums/womens-basketball-forum.15/

The fans are frustrated with the level of success but seem to trust in Whalen based on their message board. When she was hired expectations were through the roof but reality set in once conference play started in her first year. She believes success is coming soon as her players mature & she improves as a coach, she has a good attitude about her improving some former star players ego wouldn't allow for that. She's also developing relationships with local HS coaches & has some good commitments from future in state players. She once said if she can achieve the level of success Lisa Bluder has at Iowa she'd be happy with that.

https://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/forums/womens-basketball-forum.15/

This is interesting, because those first two lines sound exactly like Nebraska fans and their view of Scott Frost. The teams are actually comparable too: young with some talent, but little proof as of yet that they will eventually be good. It sounds like Whalen is saying the right things and is focused on building long-term, but the cupboard was far from bare talent wise when she got there. At the same time, Stollings is already out at Texas Tech with some controversy, and it seems like she didn't leave the best culture in Minnesota.

This is interesting, because those first two lines sound exactly like Nebraska fans and their view of Scott Frost. The teams are actually comparable too: young with some talent, but little proof as of yet that they will eventually be good. It sounds like Whalen is saying the right things and is focused on building long-term, but the cupboard was far from bare talent wise when she got there. At the same time, Stollings is already out at Texas Tech with some controversy, and it seems like she didn't leave the best culture in Minnesota.

I've read a few former Minnesota players comments about Stollings (Annalise Lamke & Jasmine Brunson), similar treatment to what occurred at Texas Tech took place at Minnesota too. Whalen had to change the culture & also rebuild relationships with high school coaches in Minnesota which Stollings put little effort in cultivating. For all of the prep talent Minnesota produces Stollings didn't sign one directly out of high school from the state. Carlie Wagner was already signed under Pam Borton & 2 transferred in out of Iowa St. & Marquette.

I am confused by Iowa’s report about the Minnesota game which states,
Clark’s first bucket 1:20 into the game broke Iowa’s single-season scoring record by a freshman. She ranks seventh all-time on Iowa’s single season scoring list (254 points), passing Iowa’s all-time leading scorer Megan Gustafson.
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/01/31/hawkeyes-cruise-past-minnesota/

The same site has stats that show Clark with 332 points before the Minnesota game. Add in today’s 22 and she has 354 on the season, moving her into seventh place ahead of Megan Gustafson for points scored by a freshman. So there is a math problem or typo (254 in the article should be 354) but “broke Iowa’s single-season scoring record by a freshman” makes no sense- or am I misreading it?

With 8 regular season games left, averaging 19 points for the remaining games moves Clark into first place for a freshman past Jaime Printy’s 501 freshman record.

I am confused by Iowa’s report about the Minnesota game which states,

The same site has stats that show Clark with 332 points before the Minnesota game. Add in today’s 22 and she has 354 on the season, moving her into seventh place ahead of Megan Gustafson for points scored by a freshman. So there is a math problem or typo (254 in the article should be 354) but “broke Iowa’s single-season scoring record by a freshman” makes no sense- or am I misreading it?

With 8 regular season games left, averaging 19 points for the remaining games moves Clark into first place for a freshman past Jaime Printy’s 501 freshman record.

Perhaps they meant through 14 games instead of the whole season. I do think Caitlyn will break Printy's record by the end of the season.

Clark played a much more complete game today and really set up her teammates on the perimeter. When Iowa plays with the balance they showed today, they are really tough to guard. I was a little surprised Martin didn't shoot much in the 2nd half. She had a few nice threes early before sitting with foul trouble. Goodman also showed some things today. I really credit Bluder for using her bench this game. She seemed to get more players involved in the game and there was just more energy from everyone.

Reactions: LinusPF
Perhaps they meant through 14 games instead of the whole season. I do think Caitlyn will break Printy's record by the end of the season.

The story on Czinano/Clark's B1G awards corrects the language.
The West Des Moines, Iowa, native broke onto Iowa’s freshmen all-time scoring list with 1:20 left in the first quarter of the Iowa at Minnesota matchup. She now ranks seventh, tallying 254 points on the season and passing former Hawkeye Megan Gustafson (252).
https://hawkeyesports.com/news/2021/02/01/hawkeyes-sweep-b1g-weekly-honors/

Franisdaman:

Do you have a link for the girls Minnesota game? If so would greatly
appreciate seeing the game. Many Thanks in Advance.

Ladies playing very poor against OSU. OSU owning the paint

We cannot beat OSU playing the 5 out. TOs are killing momentum. Bluder needs to go triangle and two to counter OSU zone and force the action to the paint cause we're getting no looks from 3. Trailing 41-30

Last edited:
I also think we will be a lot better next season. But I am getting tired of the young team excuse. That said, Tomi Taiwo has been showing good minutes as of late. She has been aggressive attacking the basket, and it was nice watching her and Clark together. I couldn't believe that Clark had 7 turnovers. I thought maybe 2 or 3, I will have to rewatch the game and pay closer attention to her.
Defense and rebounding is hurting this team. OSU got 15 OREB last night way to many. And OSU had just as many turnovers and Iowa had 4 more points off turnovers than OSU.

The Iowa women are very slow, caught ball watching, and sloppy, Hard to watch.

It'll be viewed as ripping kids who are busting their butts, but they make horrible decisions, can't play defense, are painfully careless with the ball, and are very unathletic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT