ADVERTISEMENT

New Story ***Hawkeyes land in-state receiver Brody Brecht***

Thanks Life. Just don’t like people spreading lies about people who I know who surely won’t jump into a message board to tell Twins he is a liar especially when they live in Ankeny. That’s all. I did it with a wrestling recruit after the family gave the OK. I guess he would have gone to ISU if they had baseball. Lol.

0CsN3Cb.gif

So true. Lazard is ranked as their best recruit and would he have gone there if his dad wasn't a clone? Win some, lose some I guess. Honestly he's about the only guy we wanted that they got that I can remember. It's weird how people, especially kids tend to like teams who win consistently. Who knew?

Yes, AL was a legacy recruit for ISU.

Given it was Paul Rhoads who recruited him, I doubt it. He probably would have ended up out of state.

Hawkeyes land in-state receiver Brody Brecht

i0sv8jzcluwjs7zasl7g

Ankeny native Brody Brecht is going to play football and baseball at Iowa.

Blair Sanderson
HawkeyeReport
@BlairRIVALS

In-state wide receiver Brody Brecht is going to be a Hawkeye. After narrowing his choices down to Iowa and Iowa State in recent weeks, the 6-foot-4, 200-pound Ankeny native made the call and gave his verbal commitment.

"It’s just where I thought I fit best and gave me the best chance to get to the NFL," Brecht told HawkeyeReport.com.

A two-sport standout, Brecht plans to play both football and baseball at Iowa, and had a chance to discuss the opportunity with head coaches Kirk Ferentz and Rick Heller.

"This past Monday, I had a Zoom meeting with Coach Ferentz and Coach Heller and kind of talked to them about how it would all work," said Brecht. "They said they would both try their best and we can make it work."

That conversation is ultimately what sealed the deal for Brecht, who looks forward to playing for both coaches in college.

I’ve kind of had a feeling for a while now, but I just wanted that clarification that the Zoom meeting gave me as far as doing both baseball and football," Brecht said.

"It was really cool to have two head coaches from a Big Ten school right there talking to you," said Brecht. "They were really cool about it."

Brecht, who ran a 4.45 forty this spring, projects at the X wide receiver position in college, and chose the Hawkeyes, his childhood favorite, over scholarship offers from Iowa State, Nebraska, Kansas, and Kansas State.

"It’s really a dream come true," said Brecht. "When I was younger, I was always a big Hawkeye fan and going to the games, so it was always my dream to play for them."

With his college decision made, the three-star prospect says a weight has been lifted off his shoulders and he looks forward to recruiting others to join him at Iowa.

"It takes a lot of pressure off because now I’m done with it," Brecht said. "I can just focus on one school and it just feels good to be part of the swarm."

Overall, Brecht is commitment No. 14 for the Hawkeyes in 2021, as he joins Arland Bruce, David Davidkov, Beau Stephens, Max Llewellyn, Jordan Oladokun, Cooper DeJean, Jeff Bowie, Zach Twedt, Griffin Liddle, Justice Sullivan, Connor Colby, Jaden Harrell, and Gennings Dunker in the Iowa's recruiting class.

As a junior, Brecht finished the season with 35 catches for 796 yards and seven touchdowns for Ankeny.

See highlights from Brecht's junior year in the video below.

Super extra pumped for another great player joining Swarm21! This may be the greatest sequence of recruiting in Iowa history. Brecht brings everything we need at receiver. Size, speed, work ethic and will to win. Welcome aboard.

The scholarship would have to come from football. CMac was never on baseball scholarship as it would have had to come from basketball.
Do you realize how many scholarships Iowa Baseball doesn’t have. I think they are up to 11.8...
Not sure...Rick does so much with very little. I think some SEC SCHOOLS IN STATE STUDENTS get free in state tuition so they can really divide the money up.

Why do they not give baseball scholarships?

Like someone said above football and basketball are considered primary. It only makes sense. What would stop a school or of football or basketball scholarships to give a 300 pound lineman a tennis or gymnastics scholarship? Yes, baseball has scholarships but if you also play FB the scholarship must be counted against FB.

Kind of reminds me of Todd Blythe.
Like someone said above football and basketball are considered primary. It only makes sense. What would stop a school or of football or basketball scholarships to give a 300 pound lineman a tennis or gymnastics scholarship? Yes, baseball has scholarships but if you also play FB the scholarship must be counted against FB.

Seems that somebody explained that earlier.

Do you realize how many scholarships Iowa Baseball doesn’t have. I think they are up to 11.8...
Not sure...Rick does so much with very little. I think some SEC SCHOOLS IN STATE STUDENTS get free in state tuition so they can really divide the money up.[/QUOTE

Yes, I realize. I played baseball at Iowa on partial scholarship under Duane Banks.

Nice get! Andy Brodell was from Ankeny as well I believe and he could scoot too! Watching BB’s highlight film he reminds a lot of ISM with ball in his hands and how he runs.. He looks fast! CONGRATS! Speed!!!

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Nice get! Andy Brodell was from Ankeny as well I believe and he could scoot too! Watching BB’s highlight film he reminds a lot of ISM with ball in his hands and how he runs.. He looks fast! CONGRATS! Speed!!!

Yes. Brodell was a RB in high school IIRC, though. He had deceptive speed. He really showcased it during that farce of a bowl game vs. Texas.

Wow! Brody, you made my weekend. So freaking stoked you pulled the trigger for the Hawkeyes and made your childhood dream come true! Swarm 21 is becoming the greatest recruiting class in the Ferentz era. Enjoy your academic, football and baseball career at Iowa. You picked the best place in the country to play both sports! Thanks for becoming a Hawkeye!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT