ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes next 7 games.... .

That was a great game....their best player went like 0-10 from 3, otherwise things likely would have been much different.

Which is crazy considering that kid made more 3's in his career than anyone else in NCAA history.

Also, just looked it up and he was a career 43.5% shooter from 3 point range for his career.....on 1169 attempts.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Wofford was pretty damn good last year. That is not a typo. They almost knocked Kentucky out of the tourney in the 2nd round.

They finished #18 in KenPom, #34 in Sagarin and finished #19 in the final AP poll.

Wow, I had no idea they were that good. That's the type of team that I would not schedule if I were a head coach.

Most prognosticators had us in the NIT anyways. I think that's still a real possibility.

Mr pump fake, himself!

I have lived in Kansas City since 1996. During Settles last season, I was watching the Iowa Michigan game with a buddy from Michigan. When Settles got on the floor, my buddy looks at me and says "he's STILL here?! What is he, like 37?!" I got a pretty good chuckle out of that.

I just don't see a scena
He's a mystery man right now. I hope it's just trying to adjust to our style. The one thing I think he can do now is drive to the basket and defend. When your shot doesn't fall, defense says a lot.

I agree. I haven't figured out why Fran has him playing off the ball so much. Clearly not his game. He seems to be able to go north-south with the ball and looked good when he got into the lane last night scoring and dishing. He isn't going to command any respect standing behind the 3-point line that much is clear. Seemed like he got a little more time on the ball last night and think he can add more value there if Connor needs to play 3 or 4. Need to get more dribble drive action because better teams will lock down guys on the perimeter.

This may be the toughest complete nonconference schedule I have seen a Power 5 team scheduled to play in 10 or so years. I am pretty sure it is toughest in the BIG.

You may want to look at MSU's schedule.
Consider the difference in talent levels of the teams. I think Iowa is playing up more than MSU. But you are right, MSU does not have a cakewalk.

I highly doubt any of this is accurate.

It's not even close to being accurate.

As it currently sits Iowa would play one ranked non-conf opponent (Texas Tech).

Toughest schedule he has ever seen. LMAO
I was bringing up a discussion topic. So where does Iowa's future schedule rate in the BIG? I thought it changed as more games are played? This certainly appears to be one of the tougher nonconference slates I can remember for Iowa. TTU was in the final 4 and the other teams on the list are no slouches.

We didn't play bad defense against DePaul.

We played allot worse on offense with all of the stupid turnovers.

DePaul played great on defense. But they were getting wide open threes first half. Boston college put up better defense again them than Iowa.

Till seems to be the only deep bench guy capable of contributing. Suspect he will see a lot more PT. Is the Vanderloo kid on the team this year? See his name on the roster, but haven't seen him get on the court. Not thinking he is part of the solution here, just curious. Seemed to highly thought of in the high school ranks.

DePaul played great on defense. But they were getting wide open threes first half. Boston college put up better defense again them than Iowa.

No they were not.

Iowa players were in decent position almost every 3 they took.

DePaul took tough shots and made them.

They were shooting pull up and stand still 3s with a defender in front.

No they were not.

Iowa players were in decent position almost every 3 they took.

DePaul took tough shots and made them.

They were shooting pull up and stand still 3s with a defender in front.

I would agree with that....I went back and watched some of the Depaul game (couldn't stomach watching the whole thing) but I was particularly interested in watching the first half because it seemed like we got blitzed right out of the shoot on that one...

So, I agree with Raptor here.....I was pretty surprised that on the vast majority of shots that Depaul drilled from three we were up on them, hand up. They hit at least one really long one, about 3 feet beyond the line, that we weren't in their face on....I'm guessing that was an unexpected shot. I know it was for me as I had watched a good part of three of their previous games and I saw nothing like that in the parts I watched.

I don't claim expertise....but at least a good part of this blow out loss was that Depaul was shooting way above their normal percentage (at least early) and playing at a level above what they had played this year. I think then we got down and our young team kind of panicked...started quick shooting and went away from the game plan...at that point the momentum was beyond our control.

As our Hawks mature and improve they will be better at responding to a team playing at that level..hopefully that maturity happens quickly.

I would agree with that....I went back and watched some of the Depaul game (couldn't stomach watching the whole thing) but I was particularly interested in watching the first half because it seemed like we got blitzed right out of the shoot on that one...

So, I agree with Raptor here.....I was pretty surprised that on the vast majority of shots that Depaul drilled from three we were up on them, hand up. They hit at least one really long one, about 3 feet beyond the line, that we weren't in their face on....I'm guessing that was an unexpected shot. I know it was for me as I had watched a good part of three of their previous games and I saw nothing like that in the parts I watched.

I don't claim expertise....but at least a good part of this blow out loss was that Depaul was shooting way above their normal percentage (at least early) and playing at a level above what they had played this year. I think then we got down and our young team kind of panicked...started quick shooting and went away from the game plan...at that point the momentum was beyond our control.

As our Hawks mature and improve they will be better at responding to a team playing at that level..hopefully that maturity happens quickly.

Iowa was also completely unprepared and overconfident for the step up in competition from the looks of it.

Allot of those turnovers were just a lack of focus or in Garzas case a lack of respect for the opponent. For him to think he was just going to overpower 2 players at once was pretty ridiculous.

I don't expect Iowa to beat TT but I don't expect an embarrassing performance like DePaul again.

Reactions: perryhawk
Any time we play a team that has a physical defender that can bang with Garza the Iowa games will be ugly.

Playing small teams who have to send the house at Garza any time he touches the ball helps eliminate Iowa's lack of dribble drive players.

I see big problems when this happens because I have a feeling Garza will get perimeter happy and not go to the block.

Mr pump fake, himself!

Maybe I’m the only one here that can’t stand Settles as a commentator. I think he’s awful. Loved him as a player. But as I tell my youth basketball team, GO UP STRONG! The quadruple pump fake was a JS specialty!

CSB. After one of the B&G Blowouts, my brother and I snuck into Carver through the back entrance where the locker rooms are. Met a ton of players, Kingsbury, Murray, Koch, Bowen, Glasper. Then Woolridge came out of the locker room and we told him we were from Omaha (lie). He then took us into the locker room where we met Dr. Tom, Millard and Settles. Settles was super nice. Got a picture with him and my brother. I’m 6’1” and my brother is 6’2”. I just remember how silly we looked standing next to him as that man was large. Not just tall, but huge features. Enormous hands, broad shoulders and a huge head.

Maybe I’m the only one here that can’t stand Settles as a commentator. I think he’s awful. Loved him as a player. But as I tell my youth basketball team, GO UP STRONG! The quadruple pump fake was a JS specialty!

CSB. After one of the B&G Blowouts, my brother and I snuck into Carver through the back entrance where the locker rooms are. Met a ton of players, Kingsbury, Murray, Koch, Bowen, Glasper. Then Woolridge came out of the locker room and we told him we were from Omaha (lie). He then took us into the locker room where we met Dr. Tom, Millard and Settles. Settles was super nice. Got a picture with him and my brother. I’m 6’1” and my brother is 6’2”. I just remember how silly we looked standing next to him as that man was large. Not just tall, but huge features. Enormous hands, broad shoulders and a huge head.

Honestly that Mike Hall is awful....with a capital A. I swear the guy is not a sports guy at all. Just the words he uses and his reactions to the games....he's like of those nerds that was just naturally uncoordinated and like a fish out of water when it came to athletic competition..only for Hall it's sports broadcasting.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
I think Iowa wins 3 or 4 games out of this stretch. As I’ve switched over to hoops mode nationally I’m realizing that there is an ridiculous amount of volatility early this year. There really aren’t many great teams.

My predictions in order of likelihood:

Minnesota
Second game in Vegas
at ISU
Cincy

I think Tech, Michigan, and Cuse would be pretty big upsets.

Honestly that Mike Hall is awful....with a capital A. I swear the guy is not a sports guy at all. Just the words he uses and his reactions to the games....he's like of those nerds that was just naturally uncoordinated and like a fish out of water when it came to athletic competition..only for Hall it's sports broadcasting.
He's bad. Stay in the studio, Mike.

Watching Michigan and Iowa State game. Michigan is shooting pretty well. But I’m not seeing all this speed/quickness that this board thinks everyone else has. Hawks will be just fine. Plus I do think DePaul is a good team.

Settles is terrible as a commentator.

No matter who is playing, if he is doing the game, there will be several players on the court that are the "best in the country" at something.

Watching Michigan and Iowa State game. Michigan is shooting pretty well. But I’m not seeing all this speed/quickness that this board thinks everyone else has. Hawks will be just fine. Plus I do think DePaul is a good team.

Have to disagree with you here. Did you see Simpson dismantle ISU's pretty good D and drop dimes? Haliburton was a one man show for ISU for stretches. Dude's shot is funky, but he is smooth in the open court. Agree that DePaul is a good team and shot lights out against Iowa. Central Michigan went cold and Paul Reed took over in the second half. DePaul has some really athletic guys in Reed, Moore, Coleman-Lands and Butz.

I will guess we go 4 and 3. I think they are all games we can. But I understand they are all solid teams. But I think only one is ranked? That doesn’t seam daunting.

Texas Tech - Beat 5 cupcakes
Crieghton/SDSU- neither has beat any one
Syracuse - Lost to Virginia and beat no one
Michigan - Beat Iowa State
Minnesota - Lost to Oklahoma, Butler, and Utah and beat no one
Iowa State - Lost to Michigan and Oregon State and beat nobody
Cincinnati- Has beat nobody and lost to Bowling Green
Iowa - Lost to DePaul and beat no one

Not sure why people think all these teams are so much better. All have only beat cupcakes. Only Texas Tech is ranked. I think Iowa will be fine. Especially as the bench gets shorter.

Reactions: skydog0784

Not sure why people think all these teams are so much better. All have only beat cupcakes. Only Texas Tech is ranked. I think Iowa will be fine. Especially as the bench gets shorter.

True, I'll stick with my 3-4 prediction made earlier in this thread for reasons you're alluding to - three of four of CU/SDSU, MN, ISU, Cinn. I don't see us beating Syracuse, MI, nor TT.

We’ll beat Minnesota. That’s as far as I’m willing to go.

According to Pomeroy, the only teams rated lower than Iowa in that stretch are Minnesota and San Diego State, and Minnesota is the only predicted win.

Predicting four wins seems wildly optimistic and based on nothing but hope.

We’ll beat Minnesota. That’s as far as I’m willing to go.

According to Pomeroy, the only teams rated lower than Iowa in that stretch are Minnesota and San Diego State, and Minnesota is the only predicted win.

Predicting four wins seems wildly optimistic and based on nothing but hope.

yeah I mean upsets are just so rare!!

yeah I mean upsets are just so rare!!

Upsets happen frequently but not nearly as frequently as the favored team actually winning the game. Predicting three upsets based on nothing other than you hope that they happen .... that’s like picking a tourney bracket based on your favorite uniform colors.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
Upsets happen frequently but not nearly as frequently as the favored team actually winning the game. Predicting three upsets based on nothing other than you hope that they happen .... that’s like picking a tourney bracket based on your favorite uniform colors.

No, it’s having a basic understanding of the variability of early season predictive models, all of which are still incorporating inputs that have nothing to do with this season.

No, it’s having a basic understanding of the variability of early season predictive models, all of which are still incorporating inputs that have nothing to do with this season.

So your basic understanding leads you to believe that the various advanced metrics predictive models are wrong about 3-4 of these upcoming seven games, and that you are right.... because these models are still using data from last year ... and Iowa is, of course, a better team than they were last year while at least 3-4 of our next seven opponents are worse than they were last year.

Seems legit.

I’ll bet the sports books are similarly fatally flawed. This is a great chance for you to use your vast basketball knowledge and considerable powers of keen insight to make a pile of dough ...instead of just typing “I told you so” on a message board.

carpe diem...

Last edited:
So your basic understanding leads you to believe that the various advanced metrics predictive models are wrong about 3-4 of these upcoming seven games, and that you are right.... because these models are still using data from last year ... and Iowa is, of course, a better team than they were last year while at least 3-4 of our next seven opponents are worse than they were last year.

Seems legit.

I’ll bet the sports books are similarly fatally flawed. This is a great chance for you to use your vast basketball knowledge and considerable powers of keen insight to make a pile of dough ...instead of just typing “I told you so” on a message board.

carpe diem...

The sports books says we are 5-6 point dog today, so I am currently flying to Vegas where I will bet real money on the game that I watch in person.

Seems legit.

carpe diem...

He has a point though. You have far fewer data points and these things often have the built in biases of certain programs, especially early in a season.

I guess my point was they are all rated close. Texas Tech is the exception. But they lost a top 10 pick to the NBA. I think we will see all really close games. I don’t think it’s a huge upset win or lose on any of these. I am optimistic!! GO HAWKS!!!

Reactions: perryhawk

Michigan beat #6 UNC today.

Seems legit.

carpe diem...

Dont waste your time with rationality on that dude.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT