ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeyes next 7 games.... .

Yep, my fear is there are a lot more DePaul type games coming. Iowa just doesn't have the athletes to compete with these teams. Hope I'm wrong, but the one game they jumped up in competition was pretty obvious

Last edited:
Yep, my dear is there are a lot more DePaul type games coming. Iowa just doesn't have the athletes to compete with these teams. Hope I'm wrong, but the one game they jumped up in competition was pretty obvious

You aren't providing much hope for redemption! Haven't they corrected their defensive sins of the Depaul game?

I really feel like this team is not yet hitting on all cylinders offensively. If they can play decent defense, limit turnovers, keep rebounding at a good rate and then start hitting shots at the percentage they are capable of, this fan would be in heaven!

extremely tough schedule...if they went .500 that might be considered very good....hate to say it, but could be in for one long stretch as all of these teams are capable of beating Iowa...all are much better than Cal-Poly.

It sure is a joy to listen to Jess Settles announce games on BTN....he was such a great player, and great person. But he was a serious dude on the court....he played tough.

I had hoped Evelyn would be capable of doing more by now heading into this stretch of games. Keep thinking he is going to get it going as he shot almost 43% from 3 and led the team in 3-pointers his sophomore year at Valpo. He has looked pretty shaky so far but did have a couple drives tonight. Definitely would rather see him drive it than shoot 3's.

3-4 would be great but not sure that is possible.

You aren't providing much hope for redemption! Haven't they corrected their defensive sins of the Depaul game?

I really feel like this team is not yet hitting on all cylinders offensively. If they can play decent defense, limit turnovers, keep rebounding at a good rate and then start hitting shots at the percentage they are capable of, this fan would be in heaven!

We didn't play bad defense against DePaul.

We played allot worse on offense with all of the stupid turnovers.

Reactions: perryhawk
TTU
Creighton/SDSU
@Syracuse
@Michigan
Minnesota
@Iowa State
@Cincinnati

What a daunting schedule. Good luck to the Hawks, hope we can steal a couple! Is this the toughest stretch for a BIG team this year?
Tough stretch for sure, but we don't play @ Cincinnati it's in Chicago @ the United Center...
You are right, sorry about that.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
That's brutal and Iowa fans will get a dose of reality. If Iowa comes out +500 I will be a happy camper. Not seeing that though.
I agree, .500 would be great against this slate. I think this Iowa team has the ability to surprise some people. Looking forward to how they measure up.

extremely tough schedule...if they went .500 that might be considered very good....hate to say it, but could be in for one long stretch as all of these teams are capable of beating Iowa...all are much better than Cal-Poly.

It sure is a joy to listen to Jess Settles announce games on BTN....he was such a great player, and great person. But he was a serious dude on the court....he played tough.
I agree. You are right about Jess Settles, loved watching him play and really enjoy his commentary.

3-4 would be a great result and not out of the realm of possibilities.

Will be a tall order though. Creighton / SDSU, MN, ISU, Cinn are winnable. The others will be very difficult.

This team has a lot of room for growth. The talent is there. If leadership shows up then we will win half those games and be set up for the NCAA.
I think you are correct, this team has a lot of room for growth and they are talented. I think they have leadership, but that is not enough to make up for some of the defensive deficiencies. If defense gets fixed, lookout.

Our team will get hammered by all these teams who are much more athletic than we are. Face it. We are slow, poor defensively and poor shooters. Reality is going to hit real soon.
Poor defensively, yes. Slow and poor shooters? I don't think so. Tall, long players look slow, but cover a lot of ground.

I had hoped Evelyn would be capable of doing more by now heading into this stretch of games. Keep thinking he is going to get it going as he shot almost 43% from 3 and led the team in 3-pointers his sophomore year at Valpo. He has looked pretty shaky so far but did have a couple drives tonight. Definitely would rather see him drive it than shoot 3's.

3-4 would be great but not sure that is possible.
Count me in the group hoping Evelyn would produce right away. I have to say, he looks like a fish out of water. He may just be slumping though. I think he hits his stride defensively soon and becomes a contributor. :)

The worst thing Iowa can do in the upcoming games and really the rest of the year IMO, is to play fast. For the limited return Iowa gets on pushing tempo, the risk is too high. Push the ball up the floor if it's there, otherwise get into the offense and move the ball. Twice in the last two games the guy rebounding the ball has rushed a pass to the guard who has a defender sitting in his blind spot. There are enough shooters to merit moving the ball-should always be able to get a decent look at a 3 if nothing else materializes.

The worst thing Iowa can do in the upcoming games and really the rest of the year IMO, is to play fast. For the limited return Iowa gets on pushing tempo, the risk is too high. Push the ball up the floor if it's there, otherwise get into the offense and move the ball. Twice in the last two games the guy rebounding the ball has rushed a pass to the guard who has a defender sitting in his blind spot. There are enough shooters to merit moving the ball-should always be able to get a decent look at a 3 if nothing else materializes.

I agree with these two statements, but in a different way. The first one is exactly what I think Fran is trying to accomplish.....exactly what he is trying to do. The second one is a matter of the players not executing early in the season. Yes, pushing the pace can make #2 more probable...but it doesn't HAVE to be that way. The expectation of the coach (my opinion) is for the players to have the smarts to be quick, but don't hurry. You can push the pace, just watch out for that guy in the blind spot and make him pay.

"Push the ball up the floor if it's there, otherwise get into the offense and move the ball."

"Twice in the last two games the guy rebounding the ball has rushed a pass to the guard who has a defender sitting in his blind spot."

I agree with this last one as well......but with Joe W having had an elbow issue he is not fully back yet AND if JBO doesn't play we basically have Joe W., CJ, and Luka who are good 3 point shooters and the rest have not proven to be good shooters yet.

"There are enough shooters to merit moving the ball-should always be able to get a decent look at a 3 if nothing else materializes."

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Feels like 2 wins over that stretch of games would be a huge accomplishment.

Reactions: And1Hawk
Iowa is playing way slower this year relative to other teams, likely in response to the changes in our roster. I think this is a good decision. Granted we are at a slightly faster tempo than last year but that’s because all teams tend to play faster early in the season. Our possessions per game will decrease as we get into conference play and I will wager that our rank nationally continues to hover around the 110-125 mark. We slowed it down a bit last year as well relative to years past.

Reactions: perryhawk
Iowa is playing way slower this year relative to other teams, likely in response to the changes in our roster. I think this is a good decision. Granted we are at a slightly faster tempo than last year but that’s because all teams tend to play faster early in the season. Our possessions per game will decrease as we get into conference play and I will wager that our rank nationally continues to hover around the 110-125 mark. We slowed it down a bit last year as well relative to years past.
If Nunge is out and Pemsl is playing more, I wonder if we don’t pick up the pace. Especially if Joe T is at point. That guy is built to play fast.

This may be the toughest complete nonconference schedule I have seen a Power 5 team scheduled to play in 10 or so years. I am pretty sure it is toughest in the BIG.

KenPom has Kansas with the toughest non con schedule of all P6 teams last season. Below is their out of league slate last season along with final KenPom rank for each school:

Michigan State (Neutral site) 3
Vermont 76
Louisiana 178
Marquette (Neutral Site) 33
Tennessee (Neutral Site) 10
Stanford 112
Wofford 18
New Mexico State 53
Villanova 30
South Dakota 229
at Arizona State 57
Eastern Michigan 159
at Kentucky 8

Reactions: Legend12
KenPom has Kansas with the toughest non con schedule of all P6 teams last season. Below is their out of league slate last season along with final KenPom rank for each school:

Michigan State (Neutral site) 3
Vermont 76
Louisiana 178
Marquette (Neutral Site) 33
Tennessee (Neutral Site) 10
Stanford 112
Wofford 18
New Mexico State 53
Villanova 30
South Dakota 229
at Arizona State 57
Eastern Michigan 159
at Kentucky 8

Wofford 18? I'm guessing that's a typo? Maybe 180...or 318?

Wofford 18? I'm guessing that's a typo? Maybe 180...or 318?

Wofford was pretty damn good last year. That is not a typo. They almost knocked Kentucky out of the tourney in the 2nd round.

They finished #18 in KenPom, #34 in Sagarin and finished #19 in the final AP poll.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT