ADVERTISEMENT

He who shall not be named

He drinks every day. I follow him on Snapchat and he drinks legitimately every day. That sure sounds like a championship lifestyle. He doesn't think he's done anything wrong and that's a real loser mentality.

I've said it before, I won't support Iowa this year if he is on the roster or the HWC if he joins it in the future.

Reactions: vhsalum
He drinks every day. I follow him on Snapchat and he drinks legitimately every day. That sure sounds like a championship lifestyle. He doesn't think he's done anything wrong and that's a real loser mentality.

I've said it before, I won't support Iowa this year if he is on the roster or the HWC if he joins it in the future.

Yeah. Tell me again he doesn't have a problem.

Thanks for the confirmation DayHawk. I too will be signing off as a fan as long as Downey is a member of it.

Reactions: DayHawk18
Redshirt Lee. He is small for 125 now and recovering from his second serious injury. Let him adjust and grow, there's no need to risk his health putting him through the D1 grind right out of the gate. Iowa is not contending for a title next season so why burn his shirt for the possibility of 3rd?

Downey is approaching Brody Grothus level of fame on this board. I don't know how many threads we've had involving Downey, but its a lot.

I'll believe it when i see it.

Last edited:

Then snaps vids of him chugging while driving. Such an intelligent person.

I disagree with you here. Not trying to be a kiss-ass on the HR, but I honestly don't feel that winning a NC would have anything to do with it, if ultimately the Brands decided to take this on.

They are confident guys and I'm sure they think they can make a difference with him. I'm sure they could give a rats ass what people outside their program think - as they have earned - and the official visit likely shows that they have trust in their staff. If they decided to take him in, it will probably because he has convinced them to take a chance on trusting him during the visit.

Occasionally, that works out in a feel good story...

We aren't winning a title this year even, with Downey and a hopefully healthy S Lee.

If I were allowed a vote, I would say no need to even consider this. With that said, I believe a wrestler can visit any school he wants too on his own time and money. Point being, just because he is visited may not mean TNT are even considering letting him the room.

GO HAWKS!!!

Last edited:
We have had guys on recent teams that are cut from the same cloth as Downey. They just didn't broadcast it all over social media for everyone to see so no one found out about it.

And a lot of those guys fell short of expectations. This whole situations makes zero sense.

Nothing about this is good. Didn't Duggan transfer here specifically because he didn't want to be in a program with people like this? And let's not forget that even if (and that's a HUGE if) PD3 were able to get his act together and change his ways, this also means we'd be getting PD2 in the bargain. And there's no way that guy is getting his act together and changing his ways. Even if PD3 keeps from being an embarrassment, PD2 will be enough of an embarrassment to make this not worth it.

If PD3 comes to Iowa, I for one will not attend an Iowa dual this year...

We have had guys on recent teams that are cut from the same cloth as Downey. They just didn't broadcast it all over social media for everyone to see so no one found out about it.

How did those guys perform?

I disagree with you here. Not trying to be a kiss-ass on the HR, but I honestly don't feel that winning a NC would have anything to do with it, if ultimately the Brands decided to take this on.

They are confident guys and I'm sure they think they can make a difference with him. I'm sure they could give a rats ass what people outside their program think - as they have earned - and the official visit likely shows that they have trust in their staff. If they decided to take him in, it will probably because he has convinced them to take a chance on trusting him during the visit.

Occasionally, that works out in a feel good story...

Winning a title has everything to do with it. We are not talking about a troubled kid who placed top 5 at Flash Flanagan. But there goes the theory that Tom is willing to take a year off.

Reactions: Mikefontenot27
As a wrestling fan I want to see Downey wrestle. I think he's a title contender at 197 next year. Plus he's an exciting wrestler to watch.

I just don't understand the move from Iowa's perspective. Doesn't make sense for them.

As a wrestling fan I want to see Downey wrestle. I think he's a title contender at 197 next year. Plus he's an exciting wrestler to watch.

I just don't understand the move from Iowa's perspective. Doesn't make sense for them.

Doesn't make sense for YOU... We have no idea what Tom, Terry, and Mark are thinking, though I think I have a pretty good idea.

About a week ago a current HWC member told me he didn't think this would happen, but even guys that close to the program have no idea what strategies the staff is working on, and also how shaky some good "inside" info is... I do however know that Pat has made a bond, and earned the respect of someone that every single one of you respect very much and has the utmost character.

I'm not going to pretend to not be Hawk fan if this happens, let alone act like I know more about what's best for Iowa wrestling than Tom or Terry Brands... That'd make me look petty and goofy.

He has baggage. Got it.

Everybody's assuming he's going to have a negative impact, but also consider the positives he brings to the room: upper-body funk (sorely missing from the room since Lewboo, Melchiore, and Brinzer); the ability to make the finals (success breeds success--we had exactly 1 finalist last year); and the possibility that he keeps Iowa in the top 3 in a down year. Don't discount that last factor. If Iowa places 7th next year, you can already hear Tom Ryan to the blue-chip recruit: "Hey, I loved Iowa, but I sure wouldn't go there now...I mean, 7th place? Such a shame."

Net-net? Nobody knows.

I'm Switzerland. Just pointing out that there's also an upside.

Doesn't make sense for YOU... We have no idea what Tom, Terry, and Mark are thinking, though I think I have a pretty good idea.

About a week ago a current HWC member told me he didn't think this would happen, but even guys that close to the program have no idea what strategies the staff is working on, and also how shaky some good "inside" info is... I do however know that Pat has made a bond, and earned the respect of someone that every single one of you respect very much and has the utmost character.

I'm not going to pretend to not be Hawk fan if this happens, let alone act like I know more about what's best for Iowa wrestling than Tom or Terry Brands... That'd make me look petty and goofy.
And I'm not going to pretend and act like Tom and Terry Brands are the smartest people in the world or that they're somehow above criticism and impossible of making a bad decision.

Also, I won't stop being a hawk fan either. I like Iowa wrestling because I love wrestling, I love great wrestling, and I'm from Iowa. I don't like Iowa wrestling because they have some kind of moral significance in my life.

What does this mean? You won't watch on line, go to Carver, follow on HR? I understand your concerns and frustration, but why get upset over something that may not happen?

I won't donate, go to Carver, watch online, etc.

I said if it happens. If it doesn't, then I'll have a great time being a hawk fan this year.

Reactions: gprsox

I'm sure we have guys with substance issues but we do not have guys with his history and rap sheet. Huge, huge difference.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT