ADVERTISEMENT

HELP! Tailgating in Lincoln

wyldhawk9

HR MVP
Dec 27, 2004
Columbus, OH
I'm bringing my whole family from Columbus, OH out to Lincoln for Thanksgiving weekend and we are going to the game. We're going to be staying about 2 miles from the stadium.

1. I've heard that there isn't really a tailgating scene...is that true? I have younger kids so not interested in taking them to go bar-hopping.
2. What are the institutions we shouldn't leave town without trying?
3. What do we need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!

I'm bringing my whole family from Columbus, OH out to Lincoln for Thanksgiving weekend and we are going to the game. We're going to be staying about 2 miles from the stadium.

1. I've heard that there isn't really a tailgating scene...is that true? I have younger kids so not interested in taking them to go bar-hopping.
2. What are the institutions we shouldn't leave town without trying?
3. What do we need to watch out for?

Thanks in advance!
You’ll see alot of starter and nascar jackets.
You’ll think you are in england due to the amount of bad teeth.
They are usually pretty nice but if the west or a bowl berth is on the line then i’m not sure.

• 11am kick in November won't help with looking to tailgate
  • Haymarket is a legit spot but might not be what you're looking for if you have kids with you
  • Leadbelly is a good spot to eat.
The stadium is basically 'downtown' so the bar scene and Haymarket are what making pre games fun. There are some good tailgate spots and most fans are welcoming.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
There is tailgating, just not at the levels that you know if you are from OSU or an Iowa.

There are a lot of bars within walking distance and a lot of people choose that option and will with an 11AM kick.

Depending on weather, Barrys has a GREAT rooftop situation. Longwells is always fun on gamedays as well.

Fans are decent and shouldn't have much of a problem.

Reactions: millah_22
We always park at the baseball stadium and tailgate there then walk the 15 minutes to the stadium. Not sure if it’s still a cash parking lot though as it’s been a few years. Good luck and Go Hawks!

Reactions: millah_22
The game is at 11am, so not much time to tailgate anyways. Maybe take the kids to a big breakfast and hit the game.

Reactions: wyldhawk9
Buzzard Billy's is our favorite spot to pregame for 11am games.

Tailgating is rather pedestrian and if parked near stadium on university grounds, you have to put your drinks in red cups. They're kind of weird about it over there.

Bar - Barry’s or Longwells
Traditional Tailgate - Baseball stadium lots

The Embassy Suites next to the stadium has a decent outdoor beer garden type tailgate area I believe kids can get into.

There will be some good tailgating in Lincoln. It will be done by a large number of Iowa fans. There are a number of lots to the west and northwest of the stadium - on the west side of I-180. That is where you'll find the tailgates.

We always park at the baseball stadium and tailgate there then walk the 15 minutes to the stadium. Not sure if it’s still a cash parking lot though as it’s been a few years. Good luck and Go Hawks!
Is the Art museum viable, or am I thinking of something else in Lincoln? Fairgrounds maybe?

Because it's too dang cold?
I went back for a game last year (Husker Fan), and I couldn’t believe the hit that our tailgating had taken. My buddy runs a big one and said it has been slowly getting worse over the last 6 years or so. It’s a shame, because it used to be great. Hopefully it will again. Over the years, they’ve also sold some of the best lots to developers and built a lot of student housing.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
We got yelled out for drinking on a grass strip at a “tailgate lot” our first year of going. Apparently they’re strict about where you can and cannot.

It’s a bar scene, not a tailgate scene. Nebby fans are too busy reading pregame magazine material to bother enjoying a good party.

Reactions: SA_Hawk
We got yelled out for drinking on a grass strip at a “tailgate lot” our first year of going. Apparently they’re strict about where you can and cannot.

It’s a bar scene, not a tailgate scene. Nebby fans are too busy reading pregame magazine material to bother enjoying a good party.
Or getting to the stadium three hours early to watch the players warmup and stretch.

• Haha
Reactions: BlIIlken2
There will be some good tailgating in Lincoln. It will be done by a large number of Iowa fans. There are a number of lots to the west and northwest of the stadium - on the west side of I-180. That is where you'll find the tailgates.
Thank you. We are renting a house further east and may just decide to set up in the yard depending on the weather - but this is helpful!

I went back for a game last year (Husker Fan), and I couldn’t believe the hit that our tailgating had taken. My buddy runs a big one and said it has been slowly getting worse over the last 6 years or so. It’s a shame, because it used to be great. Hopefully it will again. Over the years, they’ve also sold some of the best lots to developers and built a lot of student housing.
Lincoln loves parking garages and unaffordable high rise college apartments in place of tailgating areas. They have also slowly squeezed the life and killed the North Bottoms area. That was the only place around the stadium that ever felt like a college town on gameday.

Even as a student there in the 90s, tailgating seemed minor league compared to Iowa City, Madison, and dare I say….Ames. I think the city campus is the issue.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
hA423D36B

• Haha
Reactions: r_rich_r
Or getting to the stadium three hours early to watch the players warmup and stretch.
Ok, you got me started on that POS stadium.

My first game there my ticket was scanned 15 minutes prior to the game - plenty of time to get to my seats in most stadiums. I did not get to my seats until early in the second quarter.

Last year, it took me over an hour to exit the stadium after the game concluded.

This was in the visitors section, nevertheless, the infrastructure in that POS stadium is awful. Don't plan on getting concessions without missing a quarter.

UN seems to recognize the terrible design and has plans to tear down the south endzone (I believe) and re-build it. It will take several years and fans with tickets in the south endzone will out of luck.

My first game there my ticket was scanned 15 minutes prior to the game - plenty of time to get to my seats in most stadiums. I did not get to my seats until early in the second quarter.

Last year, it took me over an hour to exit the stadium after the game concluded.

This was in the visitors section, nevertheless, the infrastructure in that POS stadium is awful. Don't plan on getting concessions without missing a quarter.

UN seems to recognize the terrible design and has plans to tear down the south endzone (I believe) and re-build it. It will take several years and fans with tickets in the south endzone will out of luck.
You climb, climb, climb... One step at a time. Always behind someone who is about 85 years old.

I’m so happy they are updating that. So long overdue.

If you are looking for an activity, Robber's Cave Tour is kinda cool. Natural sandstone cave, made larger for brewery storage. The site of many parties before, during and after prohibition. 50 degrees year round. Even apparently a daycare before they made rules about that sort of thing.

Gotta book in advance though.

Two really important things:

1) Get there early. This game will be sold out, meaning the only available seat will be the one on your ticket. This will be the 396th consecutive game where there were no open seats available anywhere. This fact is very important, so don’t forget it, although in case you do, there will be a large sign along one of the stadium decks to remind you, so just look up at that.

2) “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.” These words are inscribed on the outside of the stadium. What they mean is that at the conclusion of the game, all eighty-some odd thousand Nebbers, decked out in their Starter jackets, will rise together as one and applaud the visiting foe, win or lose. It truly is a memorable thing to behold.

If someone offers you a runza, run. They’re basically hot pockets filled with rat shit 💩. They’re a Nebraska delicacy and their fans love them for some reason.

Lots of tailgating at various locations around the stadium, although it is going to be cold. Fans are the best in the Big and you will be welcomed and likely asked to join a tailgate. Great area around the stadium and basketball arena with plenty of places to go with a family before or after the game. Nebraska, Northwestern and Illinois are always fun trips.

Two really important things:

1) Get there early. This game will be sold out, meaning the only available seat will be the one on your ticket. This will be the 396th consecutive game where there were no open seats available anywhere.

BS The game may be 'sold out', but the stadium is rarely full. A couple years ago the Omaha World Herald did an article on the actual number of tickets scanned at games and the Iowa game that year had only 60,000 tickets scanned - that means 20,000 open seats, and it showed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT