ADVERTISEMENT

Here We Go Again - winter storms #2 and #3 Wed-Fri 1/10 thru 1/12

Saw a tractor trailer go skidding off 380 tonight. Landed upright, so hopefully the driver is okay. They were driving in a manner not suited for the conditions.
A buddy in Georgia just texted me it’s 29 in the Atlanta metro area. “Thoughts and prayers”, buddy.

Would seem like a good idea if the national weather service and DOT could force tractor trailers to stay off road.

It’s crazy how fast they drive.

Guessing the companies are almost forcing the drivers to push on.

• Sad
Reactions: beanerhawk
Would seem like a good idea if the national weather service and DOT could force tractor trailers to stay off road.

From what I was told by a friend that drives OTR for a living...anecdotal obviously, but he has bounced around from company to company through the years because of how they treated their drivers (meaning, they either push unmercifully, or throw you out there with broken down tractors/trailers etc).

Many drivers get paid extra depending on how many miles they drive per day. Most are required to drive one amount, but a daily bonus kicks in for the extra. So those wanting that bonus, they push to get the day over with.

This varies company to company obviously, but he told me that in general you "have to keep moving no matter what". Just parking the rig in bad weather when you have a deadline to meet - the roads better be 100% closed to justify that - otherwise, you keep moving "even if conditions dictate you drive VERY slowly".

They know if you're not moving when you should be, and they're going to want to know why. He'd call some of the companies he drove for "white knuckler" companies...meaning, you keep driving no matter what the conditions are.

One thing about speeds...many companies speed restrict their rigs to 65 or 70. Many don't - and he told me if you see a semi going 75-80, look at the company doing it - chances are you'll begin to notice a trend with those companies (they push HARD).

I could never do it for a living. We've got a couple ex-OTR drivers for our school district, and they got out of it because of how the companies treated their drivers. It sounds like a very stressful occupation overall and great companies to drive for a both hard to find and pretty rare.

Reactions: cigaretteman
That’s our plan. Our youngest has a dance competition at 11 in Johnston that hasn’t cancelled yet. I’m getting stir crazy being stuck at home so Mr. Birch will be clearing it if the company doesn’t.
I was able to get my guy here this morning 🙏🏿🙏🏿 he said it was one of the craziest weeks so show some empathy if you talk haha. Hopefully Mr. Birch is saved from this life threatening cold 🙏🏿

-16 and my furnace seems to not want to cooperate. Fireplace was a great investment, got it on and the furnace fan on, gotten the house temp from 60 to about 65 in the last hour. Furnace guy is supposed to be here around noon

Figured it out! I went out to start our SUV since it sits outside (other cars in a heated garage). And walked around the side of the house (south side). The entire side is covered in a drift to the roof line. Dug out the air con and furnace vent, cleaned out the vent pipe and voilá, furnace is on.

Sundog captured in the Chicago ‘burbs this morning. The roads suck even in the most urban areas but the season still brings some charm.

owHWbed.jpeg

Just got done snow blowing my lot. Considering my snowblower’s push assist is on the tits, it took quite the workout. My ariens is from the early 2000s, hand me down. The girl still does the job, just takes a lot more effort and pounding away at her.

Reactions: Moral
Just got done snow blowing my lot. Considering my snowblower’s push assist is on the tits, it took quite the workout. My ariens is from the early 2000s, hand me down. The girl still does the job, just takes a lot more effort and pounding away at her.
What's push assist?

• Haha
Reactions: beanerhawk

I have been in trucking for almost 30 years and it’s the opposite. We make them park.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
Model trends are for colder temps than what forecasts earlier had

sfct-imp.us_mw.png
Other than spot-checking the front walk - IE, road plow aftermath(s) - I'm not planning on even thinking about opening a door to the outside tomorrow.

Started a staycay after punching out today and after the shitty weekend I just had dealing with working OT because a bunch of call-ins and then shoveling out car from it getting stuck in snow drifts both Friday and Saturday & now the brutally bitter cold+WC; I need a frigging day off of just vegging out and relaxing.

Last edited:
How are the Iowa City roads and I-80 East into IC? My wife has to take our niece back to college tomorrow from Central Iowa.

How are the Iowa City roads and I-80 East into IC? My wife has to take our niece back to college tomorrow from Central Iowa.
I don't have any first-hand knowledge, but going by the word-of-mouth & traffic cam pics posted in these threads, I'm guessing they are not super great. Wind-blown drifting probably the biggest problem.

Improving. But every highway into and out of Iowa City are still "completely covered" per 511.

They've made excellent progress today considering everything in eastern Iowa was travel not recommended or impassible in the morning. Winds aren't supposed to be too bad so they should continue to improve.

Note that this doesn't mean they're going to be back to normal. At these temps, putting material down doesn't exactly help. Probably going to be slick still, both highways and IC streets.

I am not sure whether to give that a like or a sad face. Either way, thank you for doing what you do. That is not a platitude, I actually mean it.
Thanks for the kind words, but I get paid to do it. The military and volunteer first responders deserve the support more than me. I just wish people would understand how dangerous mother nature can be.

Finally got the tractor turned over after a few hours on the block heater. Going to try to take on the three foot drift into the driveway entrance. Gravel road past the house is completely shut, at least two feet deep everywhere. Been listening to Ride the Lightning album on repeat to get mad enough to fight with this crap.

Are freezing pipes legitimately a concern here? I’ve never worried once living in the Midwest but dripping all the faucets now!

Snow removal businesses have made a killing over the last week. My friend’s 21 year-old son here in Ankeny grossed just under $11,000 between last Tuesday’s storm and this weekend’s blizzard… and he still has another full day of work ahead of him tomorrow. All with nothing more than a blade on his truck, an Ariens snow blower, 2 shovels, and a salt applicator.

Yeah, I was doing it wrong when I was 21.

Snow removal businesses have made a killing over the last week. My friend’s 21 year-old son here in Ankeny grossed just under $11,000 between last Tuesday’s storm and this weekend’s blizzard… and he still has another full day of work ahead of him tomorrow. All with nothing more than a blade on his truck, an Ariens snow blower, 2 shovels, and a salt applicator.

Yeah, I was doing it wrong when I was 21.
How'd they do in November and December? 🤣

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT