ADVERTISEMENT

Hidlay and Sasso!?

Hawkeye4Life78

HR All-American
Jan 11, 2004
ANY chance they are still a package deal, to any school? They seem to show each other lots of love on twitter and the connection has been there forever...

I think we may be a hard sell with Sasso given Lugo's presence and also Kemdawg.

If Lugo could give us two good years out of the gate Sasso would be positioned well to take over that spot.

I agree in theory, but I think most of these kids want to know they're starting 4 years. I know Penn State has an embarrassment of riches, but that's not everybody.

Lets just accept the fact we probably won't be getting Sasso, and move forward scouting out 2019 potential 149 lb recruits. That way we can avoid any faux outrage when he chooses somewhere else, and we don't have to hear the same tired argument about how 'we missed out on a lifetime hawkeye fan who's a top 15 guy, our coaches aren't doing anything on the recruiting trail!'. The coaches are choosing to put their eggs in a different basket, while I would love to have Sasso, I think Hidlay is a bigger need this class. Lugo gives us flexibility.

Last edited:
Sasso list of 5 didn't include Iowa he was a huge Ohio St lean early but that has changed lately with Va Tech having the upper hand. We will see after his visit to Iowa St Metcalf really interests him

Reactions: B1S3K3SC
Potential 2019 149 lb recruits:
#10 Theorius Robison (CO) - 141/149
#12 Kevon Davenport (MI) - 149/157
#14 Michael Weber (MT) - 149
#18 Ryan Vulakh (PA) - 149
#32 Sam Dover (OH) - 149/157

Do we keep the PA Connection alive for (hopefully) the 5th consecutive recruiting class with Vulakh?

Reactions: JohnBasedow
Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're getting a 33 pounder with this class which we absolutely need unless murin finds a way to make it next year and it also doesn't look like we're getting a 49 unless something happens with rider, which yeah we don't need a 49 that bad when you look at us having Lugo still when these kids would be coming out of their redshirt years but the class of 19 is significantly weaker than this class and have very few proven guys. They're are some guys with potential though and obviously guys will improve and prove themselves this year.

Class of 19 133 recruits
Dylan d'emilo#42 absolute stud, watched him in a video recently taking it to little McKee in a live go. was a big time kid in this class early on but took some loses and dropped down, I think he'll be able to hang with any 33 recruits in this class including guys like Decatur.

Jordan crace#24 obviously well coached coming from graham and must have some connection with the bull, he's a solid kid with good wins over cali champ belton and 2 illinois studs Travis ford melton and Dominic Zaccone and lost an o.t match to super stud freshman Carson manville

Matt olguin#23 former cali champ, very long and technically sound has wins over Bryce andonian, nico Aguilar, and Flores of north view who is also good. Would also be good to have a connection with Buchanan.

Andrew alirez#15 don't know much about him but he took 3rd at Fargo and 5th the year before with wins over guys like Peyton Robb and theorius Robison and he's a Colorado kid and the good thing about those type of kids are they typically have a lot of room to grow.

Jacob Lindsey#94 very under the radar kid but he's a illinois state champ and i think he can compete with just about anyone. I like other illinois kids a bit more like Travis ford melton and Noah Surrin but both are probably 25 pounders.

149 recruits class of 19
Michael Weber #15- Montana kid so should have a lot of room to grow, was a finalist in Greco and freestyle at Fargo(winning Greco) very good defensively but in the freestyle final seemed to really struggle to get anywhere close to a leg which is the #1 thing that worries me about a recruit but he probably hasn't had top level coaching so hopefully he'll be able to fix that in the future.

Theorius Robison #10- Colorado kid with a ton of potential. Was a super stud coming into high school but took some loses and now is making his way back torwards the top. Has good wins over Gary joint, Jakob Camacho, gave hixenbaugh and Andrew alirez.

Kevon danvenport #12- Michigan kid who was a lot of fun to watch at Fargo where he took 1st in Greco and 2nd in freestyle losing a close one to Fidel mayora from illinois who we should definitely keep our eye on.

Ryan vulakh #18- the more pa kids the better. Flo nationals finalist with wins over guys like Moises guillen

Anthony ulaszek #84- another kid from the fastly rising Colorado, don't know much of him but he did Pin Sammy sasso and Fidel mayora in freestyle but than didn't place at Fargo so he's a big question mark

Sam Dover#38- couldn't hurt to have a st.eds kid, he's also a bit of a question mark with some very good wins mixed in with some not so great losses but he has wins of tanner literell who pinned murin at the dapper dan, gabe townsell, Dylan thurston, and Anthony ulaszek.

Another thing that could be looked into is zack donathan who is going to Lincoln college this year, he's a flonats champ and iron man champ and is very impressive. He has wins over vulakh, renteria, Moore, jimmy pawelski, and willits

149 recruits class of 19
Michael Weber #15- Montana kid so should have a lot of room to grow, was a finalist in Greco and freestyle at Fargo(winning Greco) very good defensively but in the freestyle final seemed to really struggle to get anywhere close to a leg which is the #1 thing that worries me about a recruit but he probably hasn't had top level coaching so hopefully he'll be able to fix that in the future.

Theorius Robison #10- Colorado kid with a ton of potential. Was a super stud coming into high school but took some loses and now is making his way back torwards the top. Has good wins over Gary joint, Jakob Camacho, gave hixenbaugh and Andrew alirez.

Kevon danvenport #12- Michigan kid who was a lot of fun to watch at Fargo where he took 1st in Greco and 2nd in freestyle losing a close one to Fidel mayora from illinois who we should definitely keep our eye on.

Ryan vulakh #18- the more pa kids the better. Flo nationals finalist with wins over guys like Moises guillen

Anthony ulaszek #84- another kid from the fastly rising Colorado, don't know much of him but he did Pin Sammy sasso and Fidel mayora in freestyle but than didn't place at Fargo so he's a big question mark

Sam Dover#38- couldn't hurt to have a st.eds kid, he's also a bit of a question mark with some very good wins mixed in with some not so great losses but he has wins of tanner literell who pinned murin at the dapper dan, gabe townsell, Dylan thurston, and Anthony ulaszek.

Another thing that could be looked into is zack donathan who is going to Lincoln college this year, he's a flonats champ and iron man champ and is very impressive. He has wins over vulakh, renteria, Moore, jimmy pawelski, and willits
Great writeups on prospective 133 and 149 recruits. Nice to see a little more information on some of these guys, and get info on some of the more under the radar guys you've watched. Thanks for the info.

I'm curious, how do you feel Robert Howard(2020) stacks up against the 2019 crop of 133 prospects?

Reactions: ILhawk41
Someone mentioned in one of these threads that Iowa will get a #133 transfer next year. Is this reality or wishful thinking? If so, who?

Someone mentioned in one of these threads that Iowa will get a #133 transfer next year. Is this reality or wishful thinking? If so, who?
I took it as hot air and then implying Suriano, I could be wrong but that is how it came off to me. So likely nothing to it as they never eliborated.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like we're getting a 33 pounder with this class which we absolutely need unless murin finds a way to make it next year and it also doesn't look like we're getting a 49 unless something happens with rider, which yeah we don't need a 49 that bad when you look at us having Lugo still when these kids would be coming out of their redshirt years but the class of 19 is significantly weaker than this class and have very few proven guys. They're are some guys with potential though and obviously guys will improve and prove themselves this year.

Class of 19 133 recruits
Dylan d'emilo#42 absolute stud, watched him in a video recently taking it to little McKee in a live go. was a big time kid in this class early on but took some loses and dropped down, I think he'll be able to hang with any 33 recruits in this class including guys like Decatur.

Jordan crace#24 obviously well coached coming from graham and must have some connection with the bull, he's a solid kid with good wins over cali champ belton and 2 illinois studs Travis ford melton and Dominic Zaccone and lost an o.t match to super stud freshman Carson manville

Matt olguin#23 former cali champ, very long and technically sound has wins over Bryce andonian, nico Aguilar, and Flores of north view who is also good. Would also be good to have a connection with Buchanan.

Andrew alirez#15 don't know much about him but he took 3rd at Fargo and 5th the year before with wins over guys like Peyton Robb and theorius Robison and he's a Colorado kid and the good thing about those type of kids are they typically have a lot of room to grow.

Jacob Lindsey#94 very under the radar kid but he's a illinois state champ and i think he can compete with just about anyone. I like other illinois kids a bit more like Travis ford melton and Noah Surrin but both are probably 25 pounders.
Huge fan of Matt Olguin. I've only seen him wrestle about 10 matches, but he jumps off the screen to me. He's going to be good.

Great writeups on prospective 133 and 149 recruits. Nice to see a little more information on some of these guys, and get info on some of the more under the radar guys you've watched. Thanks for the info.

I'm curious, how do you feel Robert Howard(2020) stacks up against the 2019 crop of 133 prospects?
Howard has more potential than any of the 2019 prospects at 33 so I would take him normally if I had choice but we neeed a 33 in the 2019 class bad so im hoping we can get after Dylan d'emilio or Matt olguin who I think have the most potential out of the 2019 class at 33

FWIW - I've heard Iowa is in VERY good shape with Hidlay.

But don't take my word for it. I'm just a random Message Board person.
Talked to Hidlay for quite a while when he was here. He is a very well spoken young man, liked him a lot.he said he was enjoying everything about his visit and liked how the hawks wrestled...fwiw.

Last edited:
I believe I saw the kid that Hidlay just beat at WON named his top 3 and Lehigh was involved. I know they were in Hidlays as well but maybe they've mutually moved on? Enlighten me if I am wrong.

Also: I know hidlay said he was still visiting schools, notably Lehigh and NC State, has that happened yet?

Last edited:
I believe I saw the kid that Hidlay just beat at WON named his top 3 and Lehigh was involved. I know they were in Hidlays as well but maybe they've mutually moved on? Enlighten me if I am wrong.

Also: I know hidlay said he was still visiting schools, notably Lehigh and NC State, has that happened yet?

Rameriz and Hidlay are projected for two different weights

Olguin is the best 2019 prospect for 133. Very athletic, great program, and aggressive kid. Robison is another super stud who'd I love to get at 149. Weber is a little slow footed. Vulakh is certainly interesting.

Which are? Thanks
Flo has JRam as a 165, but he has 2-3 years before he hits a college lineup, So I think it will be more like 74

If Hidlay chooses Iowa I could see his RS year at 74 and then 84 as a RSF. Similar to how Young did it last year at 65 and now at 74.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT