ADVERTISEMENT

High school basketball

bumper52

HR All-State
Nov 25, 2019
With Pleasant Valley upsetting Kennedy, it me thinking. The Pleasant Valley girls won state. I fully understand the boys would need to win 2 more games. But has there ever been a school in Iowa that both boys and girls won state championships in the SAME year? In Illinois back in the 80’s, Teutopolis did. Like what are the odds of that happening. Ucon did it on the college level.

This really sounds like a question for Casey Kasem.
I believe in 2021 Waukee beat Johnston in both championships. Given that the champions tend to reside in Polk County these days, seems more likely going forward.
There may be other instances, but I knew of this one.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
With Pleasant Valley upsetting Kennedy, it me thinking. The Pleasant Valley girls won state. I fully understand the boys would need to win 2 more games. But has there ever been a school in Iowa that both boys and girls won state championships in the SAME year? In Illinois back in the 80’s, Teutopolis did. Like what are the odds of that happening. Ucon did it on the college level.
Waukee just did it in 2021. Can you imagine this years team if they didn’t split with Pryce and Omaha leading the way.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
Where is Pleasant Valley at anyway. I know its eastern part of the state but where.
5a3afb6b23d72.preview.jpg

I think the first ever to win both same year was Winfield mt union back when Settles and clay Edwards played and girls had a player that went to Colorado to play but can't remember her name. Early 90s.

I think the first ever to win both same year was Winfield mt union back when Settles and clay Edwards played and girls had a player that went to Colorado to play but can't remember her name. Early 90s.
Settles didn’t win a state title in high school.

Reactions: WSC72
Linda Lappe

Winfield won it in 92 and 96. Settles was on 92 team for sure. Think they got 2nd once or twice as well

Winfield won it in 92 and 96. Settles was on 92 team for sure. Think they got 2nd once or twice as well

Aplington beat WMU in 1992 finals
93 they got 3rd
94 they placed 4th
95 they won the title
96 they lost to Rock Valley in title game

Reactions: chaneccooms
Where is Pleasant Valley at anyway. I know its eastern part of the state but where.
There actually is a town of Pleasant Valkey. It’s actually a township. All that was is there is a tavern, a cafe, and a small auto dealership. As far the school itself, it has a large area. Yes, like many places nationwide, people are moving their kids out of the city. Des Moines and Cedar Rapids are good examples. Pleasant Valley is the class of the MAC Confererence. I have a grandson who plays for Davenport Assumption so I folllow PV sports.
Steve Hilman, their coach, I believes runs the best program in the area by far. Their youth programs are extremely organized. They are so fundamental. Remind me a lot of Bo Ryan’s Wisconsin teams.
PV is certainly turning into a sports powerhouse and the tide has shifted away from Bettendorf in the Iowa side of the QCA.

Reactions: warriors dad
Aplington beat WMU in 1992 finals
93 they got 3rd
94 they placed 4th
95 they won the title
96 they lost to Rock Valley in title game
Yes my bad on the years. WMU boys and girls both won it in 95. That was first school to do it in any class.

Btw, here's your State Championship matchups for today:

Class 1A- 1 Grand View Christian (26-0) vs 2 North Linn (26-0), 1 pm

Class 2A- 1 Central Lyon (23-1) vs 3 Western Christian, Hull (22-3), 3 pm

Class 3A- 1 Bondurant-Farrar (25-0) vs 2 Cedar Rapids, Xavier (20-6), 5 pm

Class 4A- 4 West Des Moines, Valley (20-5) vs 3 Waukee Northwest (23-2), 7 pm

Reactions: Sheahawk and WSC72
PV has a great program, but they are not very exciting to watch - they are very methodical in their offense - thought shot clock would make them more exciting to watch. Regardless, they are very successful every year.

PV has a great program, but they are not very exciting to watch - they are very methodical in their offense - thought shot clock would make them more exciting to watch. Regardless, they are very successful every year.
I am shocked to hear that the shot clock did not break teams of trying to play Wisconsin style basketball...............

Btw, Valley is back in the Finals and they were the main culprits behind the initial outcry for a shot clock. Let's see if they can stall their way to a title tonight?

Bondurant-Farrar stuns Cedar Rapids Xavier 58-55 to win the 3A title, and much to the dismay of starving children around the world, WDM Valley wins another state title in Class 4A.

Future savior of the program Pryce Sandfort finished with 19 pts in the defeat.

I am shocked to hear that the shot clock did not break teams of trying to play Wisconsin style basketball...............

Btw, Valley is back in the Finals and they were the main culprits behind the initial outcry for a shot clock. Let's see if they can stall their way to a title tonight?
I’m confused. Was Valley for or against the shot clock? Because they dropped 70.

Pretty sure I read they’ve got 3 Sophomores starting or something. One of the being Stinson Jr who of course is the son of the former star pt guard at Iowa St.

This really sounds like a question for Casey Kasem.
I believe in 2021 Waukee beat Johnston in both championships. Given that the champions tend to reside in Polk County these days, seems more likely going forward.
There may be other instances, but I knew of this one.
Dallas County 😉

That Robinson kid has some quicks and bounce and I see the clones offered him at wr. I would offer in b-ball with that ahtleticism and could strike gold

Reactions: unclesammy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT