ADVERTISEMENT

Waukee Basketball

Listen, Omaha is a tremendous basketball talent. There is a reason other schools had to eventually end this relationship, including all Big Ten schools, and that's ok. Kansas was looking good, until those recruiting violations popped up and they couldn't take another chance. ISU found a way to make it possible as one of the last men standing, and let's be honest, this isn't anything new for ISU basketball. Probably one where you guys should just smile and be happy he's going to make it to your campus.

What's the reason?

- Girl's basketball is #2 in the state and undefeated at 17-0.
- Girl's volleyball is #3 in the state. They lost in the state title last year and won the championship in 2021. This season they have beaten Urbandale, Waukee, and Ankeny Centennial.
- Boy's football went 10-1 and lost to West Des Moines Valley 15-10. Valley ended up going to the state championship and lost to a historically good SE Polk team. PV was playing without their DE, Andrew Depaepe, that committed to Michigan State.
- Boy's soccer won back to back state championships in 2021/2022.
- Boy's baseball won the state championship in 2021 over Johnston.

PV is not competitive in basketball at the state level... yet.

I think that's a pretty good list.

The eastern side of Bettendorf is exploding with growth and it's not going to slow down anytime soon. The money is pouring into PV. There's really nowhere to build within the Bettendorf school district, so the growth is all happening out in the Pleasant Valley school district. The era of Bettendorf dominance in sports is over. The only thing that's going to slow PV down will be when they have to split into two high schools, similar to Liberty in the Iowa City area. The TBK Bank Sports Complex is also a great resource for kids in the QC area working on their skills.

Man, I forgot a lot of that. I knew soccer was strong but I had mentioned in the first post that boys soccer is strong on the east side. I also mentioned that volleyball was probably better on the east side (although forgot we [Liberty] played you in the title because I had a kidney stone that day...). Football, I totally forgot but the point stands that we are still behind. As a top rated seed you can't lose to a bottom team in the playoffs in the first round. I was really cheering for you guys because I want the east to win. I didn't realize basketball because I am primarily focused on the MVC but that's a me thing... baseball I knew and forgot.

Isn't wrestling okay too? Your girls soccer team is solid for this side of the state but struggle when getting to state.

Point well taken on PV. I was just talking with someone yesterday how crazy fast Bettendorf's fall from grace has taken place. I knew a ton were going to end up at PV and the growth was on that side but I thought I heard of a few kids transferring from Bett to the Dav public schools? Any truth to that?

Bettplex is phenomenal. We are trying to do something like that here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawks2405
This message board must be littered with 5'9" former PGs.

OMG, he went under the leg before the dunk! It's never been done before!

Settle down you Nancies. Now show me something that I personally couldn't do as a junior in HS and at the time 3 inches shorter than Omaha currently is. It still counts for only 2 points.

Am I completely off base to think his college career path will mirror Xavier Foster's?

Point well taken on PV. I was just talking with someone yesterday how crazy fast Bettendorf's fall from grace has taken place. I knew a ton were going to end up at PV and the growth was on that side but I thought I heard of a few kids transferring from Bett to the Dav public schools? Any truth to that?

I live in the DSM metro and I grew up in Boone.

Youth sports here is a completely different animal, in every way, and a lot of it is due to how much money people are willing and able to shell out for their kids' sports stuff. Ultimately I think it's a negative thing but it is what it is. There isn't anything special regarding the Metro compared to other places but it sounds like PV and other areas are starting to build some of the facilities we are using around here which will be a big equalizer.

Youth basketball is pretty insane. There is a little kid who is a 4th grader in my son's club who I saw hit a kid with the hesi, step back, and hit a 3. He's doing things as a 4th grader we didn't think about in middle school. And I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him not be able to make the high school team because his parents just aren't that big.

Settle down you Nancies. Now show me something that I personally couldn't do as a junior in HS and at the time 3 inches shorter than Omaha currently is. It still counts for only 2 points.

Am I completely off base to think his college career path will mirror Xavier Foster's?
Good points. I'm guessing he will do much better than Foster because he is physically ready to play in college right now (if not the NBA), but I'll be surprised if he is a game changer for them. My understanding is that he's known more for his defense than his offense. Probably a one and done based upon potential. His history of changing schools and plans makes you wonder if he doesn't have some maturity issues, or his "handlers" are too involved. I wish him well, always nice to see an Iowa kid succeed.

Big difference is that even in high school there was a lot of question about how bad Foster actually wanted it and how hard he was willing to work.

One of the reasons Omaha wanted to play for TJ is that he wants to play our style. If you want to play a very aggressive, attacking, physical style with his athletic ability he'll be a valuable piece even if he is overrated.

yes

Reactions: littlez
Oh, side note to this. I'm super jealous of the crowd in this game. It would take any of the Iowa City schools probably 4 games to get that crowd and 10 games to get that student section!
I've been to a few West and Liberty b-ball games this year - both boys and girls. The crowds are mainly parents and a few kids. It's sad really - the schools are not really part of the community the way they are at a school like Williamsburg for example. I think that's part of what keeps numbers down - Not sure how to change that or if it's a problem in other bigger schools.......

Youth sports here is a completely different animal, in every way, and a lot of it is due to how much money people are willing and able to shell out for their kids' sports stuff. Ultimately I think it's a negative thing but it is what it is. There isn't anything special regarding the Metro compared to other places but it sounds like PV and other areas are starting to build some of the facilities we are using around here which will be a big equalizer.

Youth basketball is pretty insane. There is a little kid who is a 4th grader in my son's club who I saw hit a kid with the hesi, step back, and hit a 3. He's doing things as a 4th grader we didn't think about in middle school. And I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him not be able to make the high school team because his parents just aren't that big.

I can't even get started on club sports. It's a run away train that is not coming back.

I've been to a few West and Liberty b-ball games this year - both boys and girls. The crowds are mainly parents and a few kids. It's sad really - the schools are not really part of the community the way they are at a school like Williamsburg for example. I think that's part of what keeps numbers down - Not sure how to change that or if it's a problem in other bigger schools.......

Haha, well we were at the same game, I'm sure. It's embarassing and you are totally correct. Community buy in isn't there for the school or members. For Liberty, at least, it's all still newish and as families have kids they will continue to support.

What's funny (or rather very sad) is that 8th grade basketball has routinely had a larger student section than varsity. Last week when Liberty/ Waterloo West was televised the only students I saw were the JV and some JV2 basketball girls.

Reactions: Incredible Hawk
Man, I forgot a lot of that. I knew soccer was strong but I had mentioned in the first post that boys soccer is strong on the east side. I also mentioned that volleyball was probably better on the east side (although forgot we [Liberty] played you in the title because I had a kidney stone that day...). Football, I totally forgot but the point stands that we are still behind. As a top rated seed you can't lose to a bottom team in the playoffs in the first round. I was really cheering for you guys because I want the east to win. I didn't realize basketball because I am primarily focused on the MVC but that's a me thing... baseball I knew and forgot.

Isn't wrestling okay too? Your girls soccer team is solid for this side of the state but struggle when getting to state.

Bettplex is phenomenal. We are trying to do something like that here.
Sorry to hear about your kidney stone; hope you had a speedy recovery. I hear those are terrible.

I agree, the loss to Valley stung but they were clearly better than their seeding. Des Moines area football is definitely a different animal. No team was going to beat SE Polk the last two years with that kind of talent.

I think PV wrestling is ok, but Bettendorf still holds the advantage there. It's pretty crazy to see how far Bettendorf has fallen off in football. I don't believe that a lot of kids transferred over to the Davenport public schools. That seems like a stretch. It will be interesting to see if Assumption has a ton of growth with the new bill that was just passed to fund private school tuition in the state? I could definitely see a lot of the Davenport public school kids going over to Assumption given that the tuition will no longer be a concern.

Bettplex is pretty nice. They're adding a 75 million dollar expansion that will include a Top Golf-esque facility across the road along with a gigantic arcade and several more fields. There's going to be a nice pedestrian bridge going over Middle Rd to connect the two areas. The construction process will probably be a nightmare for a few years, but the finished product will be incredible.

My main point was that PV and the other eastern Iowa schools can be competitive with the Des Moines schools. Let's not throw in the towel just yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sexican

You’re kidding right? Foster by a lot of accounts wasn’t even the best player on his high school team. Not on a great AAU team. Omaha is a killer. I understand he’s been shopped around (which I think stinks) and has jumped pretty much all around for 4 years which just seems ridiculous, but on the court there’s no question. Fantastic defender, was possibly the best player on a MoKan team that’s always a top 5-10 team, and a great athlete. I’d kill to have him, questionable past or not.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK

Off topic a bit, but can I ask you which Club/program your son plays on? We are in DM area nearly every weekend for youth basketball and I think I might know the whiz kid you're referring to.

Sorry to hear about your kidney stone; hope you had a speedy recovery. I hear those are terrible.

I agree, the loss to Valley stung but they were clearly better than their seeding. Des Moines area football is definitely a different animal. No team was going to beat SE Polk the last two years with that kind of talent.

I think PV wrestling is ok, but Bettendorf still holds the advantage there. It's pretty crazy to see how far Bettendorf has fallen off in football. I don't believe that a lot of kids transferred over to the Davenport public schools. That seems like a stretch. It will be interesting to see if Assumption has a ton of growth with the new bill that was just passed to fund private school tuition in the state? I could definitely see a lot of the Davenport public school kids going over to Assumption given that the tuition will no longer be a concern.

Bettplex is pretty nice. They're adding a 75 million dollar expansion that will include a Top Golf-esque facility across the road along with a gigantic arcade and several more fields. There's going to be a nice pedestrian bridge going over Middle Rd to connect the two areas. The construction process will probably be a nightmare for a few years, but the finished product will be incredible.

My main point was that PV and the other eastern Iowa schools can be competitive with the Des Moines schools. Let's not throw in the towel just yet.

Oh, no towel being thrown. It is just very one sided at the moment. It will hopefully swing back.

You’re kidding right? Foster by a lot of accounts wasn’t even the best player on his high school team. Not on a great AAU team. Omaha is a killer. I understand he’s been shopped around (which I think stinks) and has jumped pretty much all around for 4 years which just seems ridiculous, but on the court there’s no question. Fantastic defender, was possibly the best player on a MoKan team that’s always a top 5-10 team, and a great athlete. I’d kill to have him, questionable past or not.
No not really. X&O are really different types of players. O is a brilliant athlete good defender and above average rebounder. Offense needs a lot of work and he’s a -TO at the HS level. I’m just wondering if their careers will share the traits of great potential but ends up disappointing and that they’re there one day then gone the next.

And let me state I wouldn’t trade Iowa’s incoming freshmen for Omaha. I’ll root for the guy as long as he’s not playing the Hawks even though he’s a bit of a showboat.

No not really. X&O are really different types of players. O is a brilliant athlete good defender and above average rebounder. Offense needs a lot of work and he’s a -TO at the HS level. I’m just wondering if their careers will share the traits of great potential but ends up disappointing and that they’re there one day then gone the next.

And let me state I wouldn’t trade Iowa’s incoming freshmen for Omaha. I’ll root for the guy as long as he’s not playing the Hawks even though he’s a bit of a showboat.
I would.

Reactions: littlez

If you think he's a showboat you don't watch much high level basketball.

Off topic a bit, but can I ask you which Club/program your son plays on? We are in DM area nearly every weekend for youth basketball and I think I might know the whiz kid you're referring to.

Just the Ankeny program run by the high school coach. It's technically a club but it costs the same as Little League.

Reactions: MitchLL
We have a junior at our high school that played limited varsity minutes at a small school 15 miles away last year. He transferred into our school this year and had to sit out the first 10 varsity games or so because his old school wouldn't sign off on it. I don't know Omaha's situation but I wouldn't say they can bounce around easily.
Transfer rather than ‘move’
Establishing an address in the district makes the process fairly easy.

Looks like some home cooking by that clock operator
Does a licensed ref operate the clock? Mistakes get made in pros so not automatically intentional to consider someone was just slow at activating the clock. But easily a tenth or two tenths slow if not more.

The officials are supposed to have their arm up and drop it when the clock should start. Neither guy had an arm up. Clock operator appeared slow but heck of a shot.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT