ADVERTISEMENT

Hill was the Sacrificial Lamb Who Lived Longer Than Expected

May 27, 2009
I think the plan was always to go to Labas after McNamara got hurt, but they wanted to buy him some time and get through as much of the gauntlet of our schedule before their hand was forced. Kirk didn't want calls for Hill if Labas struggled against Michigan State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Fortunately, we're still 6-2, and that's pretty remarkable considering we lost our #1 QB, and two NFL TE's. The hand has now been forced though.

Now have a bye week with a winnable game against NW. Ferentz isn't going to make the switch public so NW will have to prepare for both QBs. Labas might not start, but he's going to play more snaps than Hill against NW and be the quarterback moving forward. The Labas era starts Nov. 4 at Wrigley.

I think the plan was always to go to Labas after McNamara got hurt, but they wanted to buy him some time and get through as much of the gauntlet of our schedule before their hand was forced. Kirk didn't want calls for Hill if Labas struggled against Michigan State, Penn State, Purdue, Wisconsin, and Minnesota.

Fortunately, we're still 6-2, and that's pretty remarkable considering we lost our #1 QB, and two NFL TE's. The hand has now been forced though.

Now have a bye week with a winnable game against NW. Ferentz isn't going to make the switch public so NW will have to prepare for both QBs. Labas might not start, but he's going to play more snaps than Hill against NW and be the quarterback moving forward. The Labas era starts Nov. 4 at Wrigley.
Spot on

Interesting perspective?

Prepare for both QB's. Hill come out, statue. don't worry about him taking off. He will throw to the TE's, run plays between the tackles. Labas comes out. More mobile, passing and run games the same as Hill's. Not much film time needed either way.

Labas better get the start and be working with the 1s and Lainez better get elevated to the 2 but that is what a Coach would do if He was actually trying to win, We know that take is garbage because a Coach trying to win would have yanked Hill midway thru the 3rd against Minnesota, Labas will not play unless Hill gets hurt . Kirk will do like He always has in the past, His ego will not allow any flexabilty in QB1 decisions .

S82c7.gif

I will believe it when I see it…

LOL. I don't think the Ferentz boys could think their way out of a paper bag (KF due to dementia, BF due to natural low IQ), much less come up with such an elaborate plan. They probably don't even know the next game is at Wrigley Field. Hopefully the team bus driver is on top of things.

But, seeing Labas in the next game would at least give me some sliver of hope for the rest of the season, of which I have very little right now, so I sure will be hoping for it.

What you just mentioned is 3D chess. We don't own a checkers board.

To be fair, double or triple jumping doesn't allow enough time to come off the clock.

OP’s theory goes down quicker than a fat kid on a seesaw when you recognize KF simply is not that smart. As the national media are continuing to say, Iowa football is not serious under his leadership. Has not been for several years now, refusing to adjust the offensive strategy to complement the players on the sidelines.

Last edited:
Reactions: DewHawk

OP’s theory goes down quicker than a fat kid on a seesaw when you recognize KF simply is not that smart. As the national media are continuing to say, Iowa football is not serious under his leadership. Has not been for several years now, refusing to adjust the offensive strategy to complement the players in the sidelines.
But I thought I heard Hill was taking most of all the practice snaps because Labbas had been injured.

sarcastic willy wonka GIF

Now that there is a public outcry for it and people like Dave Wannstedt are saying make a change I fully expect KF to double down and dig his heels in even farther on Hill.
I 100% believe that at this point, KF cares a lot more about showing everyone who’s boss than he does about actually winning football games. No question in my mind.

Wouldn't put it past them to create a narrative that Hill is "dinged" up and for that reason they need to switch to Labas. No way would he make the switch and admit that it was because of performance. His ego won't allow him to admit that Hill at QB the last few weeks was WRONG. Kirk is like Fonzie. Remember that episode where the Fonz couldn't say he was wrong? He physically couldn't get the word out. Classic TV right there!

Iowa could be behind 49-0 in the 4th quarter, and Labas still won't get to play. Kirk's excuse would be that they felt Hill gave them the best chance to win. Just like when he let James Vandenberg take every snap in a 4-8 season.

notice in that press conference he mentioned Beathard being the example of when there was talk of a switch at QB. he must have forgotten about Banks back in 2001-2002. and the other 3 or 4 times.

Wouldn't put it past them to create a narrative that Hill is "dinged" up and for that reason they need to switch to Labas. No way would he make the switch and admit that it was because of performance. His ego won't allow him to admit that Hill at QB the last few weeks was WRONG. Kirk is like Fonzie. Remember that episode where the Fonz couldn't say he was wrong? He physically couldn't get the word out. Classic TV right there!
I came up with a similar theory earlier in the week, but took it a step further. I don’t think “dinged up” would be enough. I think KF would have to bribe the medical staff into making an official announcement that Hill was not cleared to play before putting Labas in.

If true extremely stupid..but wouldn't be surprised with Kirk

Reactions: Bruceman44
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT