ADVERTISEMENT

The Deacon Hill incomplete pass that was overturned on replay to a fumble

It made a huge difference to millions of people who was betting on this game...We still lose but I would have won my bet....
Any chance that Harbaugh went for that last FG to cover for the Michigan fans that had bet the +23.5 in the first part of the week? Or was he just playing it safe to make it a 4 score game at that point? If the latter, then that is funny given what had happened up until that time.

the problem is Iowa was on their own 12, not going to move that ball anyways. however Iowa would have punted, given them way worse field position. which mich probably would have overcome anywho.

not sure how the replay official, who can review this over & over again, called this a fumble.

one guy(!!!) has a helluva lot of power.

it's insane.

Watch:

I'd like to know how the replay official defines "indisputable". because it appears he doesn't know what the word means.

Replay rules:

1. Each team is allowed 1 replay a half. No time outs taken away if the play stands as called. The officials are there to call the game they see, not to be in control of the game. If a team lets a play go, then that's the coach's decision. It shouldn't be up to the refs.
2. The replay official has 30 seconds, 1 minute tops, to make a decision. If he can't tell in that amount of time, then the play must stand as called on the field. After that amount of time, by definition it can't indisputably be considered the wrong call.
3. The replay official must watch the replay at game speed. This ain't the Zapruder film, to be broken down frame by frame. It's a football game.
4. The ruling is either the play stands as called or is overturned. This purgatory call, the play stands (but is not confirmed), is stupid.

Kirk is spot on about this. It's not rocket science. It's never going to be perfect. Iowa has 2 great examples of that this year, I'm certain there are others. It takes too much time, combined with television time outs, momentum is lost. The replay officials have too much power. The game officials have become too dependent on it. It's turned into a farce.

Make sure you have the ball at the end of the play no matter what the officials are doing. If you have to plow one over like road kill to get the ball then so be it.

Reactions: BigDelHawk
1) this is a moot point because his hand was moving forward and it wasn’t a fumble; and

2) totally true about always jumping on it. You should always keep running into the end zone every time as well.
Yeah, all this is not going to play out well. People will get hurt, games will be delayed because every possible fumble will be run back. It will be called the Iowa rule.

Harbaugh was challenging that call---I don't see how going to coaches challenges changes anthing.

If the Refs blew the whistle before the ball was recovered (which appeared to be the case), I don't see how you can count the fumble recovery becuase the Whistle told everybody to stop.

The B1G review squad appears to have gone rogue.

That said, Iowa was losing tht game regardless of that call.
Iowa was not winning the game, but..
the score should have been in the neighborhood of 13-3 to 17-7 had correct calls been made in a couple situations.

Michigan got away with a blatant roughing the passer when Iowa was deep in Michigan territory. Most likely a FG but you never know with a first down around the 20.

Need a shovel for that pile of explanation.

The refs can let a play continue and later review/reverse to "incomplete pass," but whistling it incomplete on the field is a dead ball. At best for their scenario the ball should be placed at spot of the fumble, but no turnover.

The clowns whistled it dead.
And that was my initial thought… if they are reviewing for a funble… then Jim was trying to back Iowa up towards the goal line. Like a lot of people… they blew the whistle for incomplete pass… yada yada yada… such a mess

Indisputable video evidence. What a joke.

That should mean that a dozen football experts could look at the play and agree - if they don't all agree the play is supposed to stand as called.

I don't think replay was installed to re-officiate the 50/50 calls - it's there for the clear unquestioned mistakes.

The replay system is broken. Just like NIL, the portal, and conference realignment.

Reactions: NI hawk
That wasn’t a recovery. The Michigan player casually picked up the ball and handed it to the ref. That was after the whistles blew and the ref waved his arms and everyone had stopped playing.
I have to go back and look at that play because I thought the ball bounced to the UM player and he casually tossed it on the ground after the "recovery "and whistle. I could be wrong.

I have to go back and look at that play because I thought the ball bounced to the UM player and he casually tossed it on the ground after the "recovery "and whistle. I could be wrong.
He picked it up and casually tossed it to an official, but yeah, same thing basically. He made no attempt to dive on it or scoop and score. He knew the play was dead and the ball just happened to bounce toward his feet. It was clear that he didn't think it was a fumble.
And how anyone can say it was clear that Hill's hand wasn't moving forward is a joke. The Big Ten wanted Michigan to get that #1 spot in the playoff and they must have thought that winning a tight game against Iowa wouldn't look good for their pretty boys. Can't risk letting Iowa hang around and forcing Michigan to win ugly.

• Angry
Reactions: NI hawk
correct me if i am wrong but this particular TD drive was just 6 yds.

the Michgan drive after the punt return was 5 yds, IIRC

they only had to go 11 yds for 14 of their 26 points

just a horse manure of a game
On the punt return, I swear there was clipping that occured midfield . They called clipping on 2 of our returns. I think the BIG wanted Michigan to win by the largest margin possible. I was surprised they didn't call pass interference more to keep their drives alive.

Make sure you have the ball at the end of the play no matter what the officials are doing. If you have to plow one over like road kill to get the ball then so be it.
Like Anderson did to recover the 'fumble' in the Illinois game that I thought was a incomplete pass. That probably was a game saving hustle play.

Indisputable video evidence. What a joke.

That should mean that a dozen football experts could look at the play and agree - if they don't all agree the play is supposed to stand as called.

I don't think replay was installed to re-officiate the 50/50 calls - it's there for the clear unquestioned mistakes.

The replay system is broken. Just like NIL, the portal, and conference realignment.
Indisputable is a big fing joke. People aren't talking about calls that are indisputable. Big ten office has zero credibility if they can't just admit they messed up.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Indisputable is a big fing joke. People aren't talking about calls that are indisputable. Big ten office has zero credibility if they can't just admit they messed up.
Replay is totally out of control. Take it
back to just a few SPECIFIC situations:

Out of bounds plays
Goal line reviews
Reception reviews

That’s it. Everything else happens in real time on the field, and we live with the result, right or wrong

Just like we did for over a hundred years

Replay is totally out of control. Take it
back to just a few SPECIFIC situations:

Out of bounds plays
Goal line reviews
Reception reviews

That’s it. Everything else happens in real time on the field, and we live with the result, right or wrong

Just like we did for over a hundred years
It's definitely gotten out of control. I find it hilarious when they show the replays and it is pretty obvious the call should go one way and they bring in the "official expert" and he agrees its obvious... and then the actual replay official goes the other way. What's the point? It's just changing who you get screwed by to an anonymous person from the refs on the field. I would much prefer it just go away all together and live with the calls as they happen.

the problem is Iowa was on their own 12, not going to move that ball anyways. however Iowa would have punted, given them way worse field position. which mich probably would have overcome anywho.
Michigan had 1 drive over 30 yards so not that likely Michigan would have scored a TD

They did not go rogue.

From the orig post:

B1G cites rule book, which states

* "If the replay official overturns an incomplete forward pass ruling and the ball is recovered, it belongs to the recovering team at the spot of the recovery and any advance is nullified."

* Because there is replay, inadvertent-whistle rules are overruled.
This was Not an inadvertent whistle. Therefore, the play was over. It's simple. Look up the meaning of inadvertent. The referee planned to blow the whistle and made the arm motion to indicate an incomplete pass. His actions do not meet the definition of the word inadvertent. This is a CYA move by the league. What's really sad is that this is supposed to be a league of research universities, yet they don't understand the English language or the meaning of the words they use in their rules. Or perhaps they inadvertently put the word inadvertent in the rule which would be the only way they could claim the call was correct. However, it would truly show just how stupid these people are.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Play until the whistle blows, unless you should keep playing, then continue; however do not hit another player as this will result in a personal foul.
If an Iowa lineman were to have tackled the “recovering” Michigan player there SURELY would have been a flag for late hit.

For me, it was a fumble. However, I don’t think there was enough to overturn what the call on the field was. If it was called a fumble or incomplete pass on the field, it should have stayed that way. And then saying there was a recovery is absolutely bananas.

So can you pound the piss out of someone to get the ball after the whistle blows? I bet they would flag that.

Id maybe have a sliver of respect for them if they just came out and said "we ****ed up and got it wrong"
Yup. Will never happen.

It's certainly possible that if you brought in a dozen officials and spent 15 minutes looking at the video they "might" agree that the call was wrong on the field.

What they got wrong IMO was overturning a call that was 50/50. It's supposed to be clear and Indifrekin'disputable.

Same with the illegal fair catch. It was a JUDGEMENT call!

An Iowa lineman should have CRUSHED the referee taking the ball from him since it was still “live”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT