ADVERTISEMENT

The Deacon Hill incomplete pass that was overturned on replay to a fumble

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
The full text of the tweet that follows:

Clarity from the Big Ten to Chad Leistikow on the Deacon Hill incomplete pass that was overturned on replay to a fumble in the B1G Championship Game: B1G cites rule book, which states, "If the replay official overturns an incomplete forward pass ruling and the ball is recovered, it belongs to the recovering team at the spot of the recovery and any advance is nullified."

Because there is replay, inadvertent-whistle rules are overruled.

(Lesson: Any loose ball in the future, just go all out to get it even if whistles are blowing.)

GAn3w-LXkAADfcV

Source:

The full text of the tweet:

Clarity from the Big Ten to Chad Leistikow on the Deacon Hill incomplete pass that was overturned on replay to a fumble in the B1G Championship Game: B1G cites rule book, which states, "If the replay official overturns an incomplete forward pass ruling and the ball is recovered, it belongs to the recovering team at the spot of the recovery and any advance is nullified."

(Lesson: Any loose ball in the future, just go all out to get it even if whistles are blowing.)

GAn3w-LXkAADfcV

Source:

No comment on how his arm was indeed moving forward?

1) this is a moot point because his hand was moving forward and it wasn’t a fumble

unfortunately the replay booth official said otherwise

the replay booth official fooked us in the Minnesota game, too, of course with the invalid fair catch nonsense

2) totally true about always jumping on it. You should always keep running into the end zone every time as well.

agree; run to the end zone, even if whistles are blaring

Did the rule change or was it an NFL rule that there needs to be a clear recovery? I had always assumed that meant before a whistle or simultaneously with the whistle but it was clear players had stopped so that really seems to mean no clear recovery.

Any news on Jack Campbell getting replay to give him a TD in the gopher game last year?🤣

Somebody will fly in after the whistle blows and take out somebody at the knees….just in case they need a clear recovery…

Exactly. The rules on this are so muddy and ridiculous. You're looking at possible altercations on the field as team A believes they should keep playing but Team B stops playing as they've heard the whistle and see team A as taking a cheap shot; a fight ensues.

Clear solution...play stops when whistle blows.

Why wasn't Jack given a TD in the Minnesota game in 2022? The whistle blew. It didn't matter that he wasn't out of bounds and kept running. Why does the mistaken whistle apply to plays like this? It's too complicated and it doesn't make logical sense.

Whistle blows, play is dead. End of story.

GAn3w-LXkAADfcV

Source:

Since when does blowing the whistle not stop play? I suppose it's in the rules somewhere, but I personally have never witnessed an instance where play was allowed to continue after the officials blew the whistle...even after review.

Saturday wasn't an inadvertent whistle, either. At least one official was waving his arms stopping play.

The Big 10 can make all the excuses they want....but the wrong call was made.

go back to coaches challenges only
Harbaugh was challenging that call---I don't see how going to coaches challenges changes anthing.

If the Refs blew the whistle before the ball was recovered (which appeared to be the case), I don't see how you can count the fumble recovery becuase the Whistle told everybody to stop.

The B1G review squad appears to have gone rogue.

That said, Iowa was losing tht game regardless of that call.

Since when does blowing the whistle not stop play? I suppose it's in the rules somewhere, but I personally have never witnessed an instance where play was allowed to continue after the officials blew the whistle...even after review.

Saturday wasn't an inadvertent whistle, either. At least one official was waving his arms stopping play.

not only was he waving his arms... he jogs his ass into the middle to let people know the play is dead... easier pill to swallow if they would just come out and say "we blew it" ... instead they go through all this bullshit to try and gaslight the situation... the **** that whistle was inadvertent. Hell.. admitting the screw up would go a lot further in establishing trust. Thats all the fans want.

We got penalized for staying live on it before…lol joke of a conference!!!
exactly... the moment there is some grey area, a lineman will pick up the ball and jog his ass 80 yards for the score... only to be flagged for delay of game of some shit... they really made this thing more complicated than it should be... clown ass bitches .

GAn3w-LXkAADfcV

Source:

Complete bullshale. More B1G CYA for yet another substandard officiating crew. B1G and coalition director of officiating Bill Carollo needs to be fired.

Strange how far forward the ball went if there was no pass…….

the replay official must have though his arm got hit right before it started going forward

as we have seen in the Minnesota and Michigan games, the replay booth official has too much power.

And KF is right; they need to blow up the current replay system and get back to common sense & playing football

they claim they got it right. i mean, this is what they do for a living, so hopefully they are experts on this (they should be). i guess we all need to learn the rule book ;)

Reactions: 83Hawk
Harbaugh was challenging that call---I don't see how going to coaches challenges changes anthing. If the Refs blew the whistle before the ball was recovered (which appeared to be the case), I don't see how you can count the fumble recovery becuase the Whistle told everybody to stop. The B1G review squad appears to have gone rogue. That said, Iowa was losing tht game regardless of that call.

They did not go rogue.

From the orig post:

B1G cites rule book, which states

* "If the replay official overturns an incomplete forward pass ruling and the ball is recovered, it belongs to the recovering team at the spot of the recovery and any advance is nullified."

* Because there is replay, inadvertent-whistle rules are overruled.

• Angry
Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
Complete bullshale. More B1G CYA for yet another substandard officiating crew. B1G and coalition director of officiating Bill Carollo needs to be fired.

There is a shortage of officials nationwide at all levels of competition. No one wants the job, except for the officials we are stuck with now. Not sure how things are ever gonna improve as a result.

It wasn’t an inadvertent whistle. He blew the whistle because he believed it was an incomplete pass. He meant to blow it, it wasn’t accidental. The play is dead and the time of the whistle. The B1G covering for the mistakes of officials is all this is. Overturning a call is supposed to be clear and obvious video evidence. If the replay official seen clear and obvious video that it was a fumble then he’s incompetent. Fvck the B1G for continuously protecting bad officiating.

It wasn’t an inadvertent whistle. He blew the whistle because he believed it was an incomplete pass. He meant to blow it, it wasn’t accidental. The play is dead and the time of the whistle. The B1G covering for the mistakes of officials is all this is. Overturning a call is supposed to be clear and obvious video evidence. If the replay official seen clear and obvious video that it was a fumble then he’s incompetent. Fvck the B1G for continuously protecting bad officiating.

I agree.

I mean, the B1G is trying to cover their ass, so you'd think they'd get their narrative and their wording right.

End review.
I agree with this. I wish that the replay dude would HAVE TO APPEAR ON SCREEN ,EXPLAIN HIS RULING AND WHAT HE SAW TO DETERMINE IT. Whats the point of having the rules 'expert' on,explain what he sees ,then it goes the opposite from the official with no explaination. The fix is in.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
I thought they said it needed to be an immediate recovery.

That ball bounced around multiple times and wasn’t immediately recovered. So much so that the player that picked it up didn’t even think it was a recovery.

But, whatever at least it didn’t cost us the game, unlike Minnesota.

I thought they said it needed to be an immediate recovery.

That ball bounced around multiple times and wasn’t immediately recovered. So much so that the player that picked it up didn’t even think it was a recovery.

But, whatever at least it didn’t cost us the game, unlike Minnesota.

correct me if i am wrong but this particular TD drive was just 6 yds.

the Michgan drive after the punt return was 5 yds, IIRC

they only had to go 11 yds for 14 of their 26 points

just a horse manure of a game

GAn3w-LXkAADfcV

Source:

Iowa State fans would like a word about this.......they've gotten screwed over by whistles blowing plays dead on fumbles.

Harbaugh was challenging that call---I don't see how going to coaches challenges changes anthing.

If the Refs blew the whistle before the ball was recovered (which appeared to be the case), I don't see how you can count the fumble recovery becuase the Whistle told everybody to stop.

The B1G review squad appears to have gone rogue.

That said, Iowa was losing tht game regardless of that call.
It made a huge difference to millions of people who was betting on this game...We still lose but I would have won my bet....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT