ADVERTISEMENT

Hippies are really ruining Seattle

Aren't they one in the same Sal? Seems to me they are dressing different but the values are the same. Actually I see the hipster as an evolutionized beatnik.

I'm not old enough to know what hippies were like but I think a hipster is just a person wearing a costume without any real values attached.

Seattle is booming. The entire Pacific NW for that fact. Washington and Oregon have had the highest state minimum wages for a decade with little if any negative Impact to economy.

Best decision I ever made was to retire to the NW. Assisted suicide legal, pot legal, small percentage of religious wackos, great weather most of the year, great wine, and it's frickin gorgeous. I love it when people just keep making crap up. Oh yea, no state income tax in Washington and no sales tax in Oregon which is great when you live 5 miles north of the Oregon border.

Translation = I like lot's of rain.

Just because more people are making $15/hour does not mean they are going to his restaurant.

"So that meal that last year cost you $100, today costs you $121."

Yep, $15/hr people are lining up at his door before he opens just to buy themselves some of that!

So the purpose of your post was to point out factors that should be discussed...then ignore the ones you don't. Brilliant.

I've wondered what the real economic impact of $15/hr minimum wage would be. This is the initial reactionary phase of a policy, which will subside and some sort of "normal" will emerge. As a nation, we should sit back and watch what happens in Seattle, and take learning from it before pushing for the same policies in other places.

Personally, I've not yet been convinced that a minimum wage job should be enough to support a family of four. My current position is that minimum wage jobs are great entry jobs into the workforce, and shouldn't be seen as careers.

A job is a job. Any job that someone works full time at should provide enough income to support food, clothing, housing, and transportation. Somebody working full time should not need welfare or food stamps just to make ends meet. Just because a job is "low skill", doesn't mean it shouldn't pay reasonable bills. I don't like my tax dollars being used to subsidize low pay from businesses.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying a job at McDonald's should pay for a 3 bed/2 bath home and a brand new car in the driveway. But a decent apartment and used car that's a couple years old shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT