ADVERTISEMENT

Home prices

The other scary thing - not limited to Florida - is that unscrupulous roofers can get roofing supplies and not pay for them. The roofing supply company can then legally file a supply lien on the house.
I guess if that’s common around you, you should ask for executed lien waivers before paying the roofer.

Reactions: Kelsers and goldmom
You can thank DeSantis for that.

Idiotic. Do they also blame Gavin Newsom for the insurance crisis in California? The one that was triggered by the wildfire losses?

I have a 2000 sq ft house and Zillow says $375K.

Is your replacement value a good bit higher than that? I don't even understand how they come up with replacement values compared to market value. Mine is about 250K over my Zillow value

These people believe it because it’s DeSantis but this predates his Administration by a lot.
I don't think they even believe it, they just want to use it as a cudgel against a governor they oppose, and they count on the public ignorance to aid their cause.

Reactions: goldmom
Is your replacement value a good bit higher than that? I don't even understand how they come up with replacement values compared to market value. Mine is about 250K over my Zillow value
Don’t you designate the limits for replacement value on your policy? I don’t remember it’s been so long but I think that is up to the insured.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
My dwelling replacement limit is $400K. The Zillow value isn’t far off because recent sales of my same model have been right around that $375 figure.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
They're pretty crazy here in KC. We live in a mid-century modern with three bedrooms, two bathrooms in one of the older Kansas neighborhoods. It's a little over 1,500 square feet, but pretty open. We bought in late 2015 for $275k, could sell tomorrow for $450-$500k.

Downtown KC is starting to REALLY get nuts. There are neighborhoods that five years ago, you would have been worried about catching the deads. I looked at a place online today just east of 23rd and Prospect, 2,000 square feet, newly built, three bedrooms, two bathrooms for $800k. Prospect used to be the street you never went near. If the new Royals stadium ends up at 15th and Grand as they are proposing, it's going to get even more crazy.

The concept of "starter home" is turning into a pretty big joke here. If you want to spend less than $250k for something about 1,000 square feet, you better be prepared for a MASSIVE fixer upper and/or live in an "up and coming" neighborhood, aka the Hood.
Our daughter and her husband have been looking to move in KC. The house they live in was built in 2001. She bought it in 2010. North part of KC. She is pharmacy manager and her husband is a physical therapist. Interest rates and housing prices may keep them in their current house.
Also paying private school tuition. I cannot believe some of the houses their friends live in. Absolute mansions.

Reactions: jasonrann
Don’t you designate the limits for replacement value on your policy? I don’t remember it’s been so long but I think that is up to the insured.

Now that you mention it, I think they may have lowered it a little to lower my premium, but there was only so far they could come down. That's what they told me anyway. I also upped my deductible to $10K.

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT