ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly did not see that coming.

I mean this without any sarcasm, Iowa is still 6-2. A lot of teams (mine included) would kill to be in that position in late October.

I'm not saying it justifies the decisions Ferentz has made, but it does stand to reason that someone wouldn't want to rock the boat on a winning football team. If Labas is head and shoulders the better QB, I have to imagine he'd be in the game.

OP, is this your first year watching Iowa football?

Otherwise, you would have known this was coming at some point over the next couple of weeks
I know that we have the worst damn offensive scheme, OLine blocking, OC, OL coach, and a fossil of a HC. We deserve to be a national laughingstock.
I harped for a long time about going to some form of a Spread offense to take pressure off of our yearly woeful OLine. I quit because all the offensive gurus on here said I was in over my head pushing the Spread concept.
It is a total shame that LeVar and Phil's work has been going to waste.
So to reply, I knew damn well the Ferentzi could lose this game for us, I just did NOT anticipate it would be PJ AND THE RATS that would do it!

I mean this without any sarcasm, Iowa is still 6-2. A lot of teams (mine included) would kill to be in that position in late October.

I'm not saying it justifies the decisions Ferentz has made, but it does stand to reason that someone wouldn't want to rock the boat on a winning football team. If Labas is head and shoulders the better QB, I have to imagine he'd be in the game.
As far as the quarterback situation is concerned, I don't think it really matters. The system is trash and the OC is incompetent. So, in my mind, it's a moot point.

With that said, Deacon Hill is worse than Spencer Petras. There is really not a lot to lose benching a quarterback who commits three turnovers in one game (since apparently taking care of the football was the upside Ferentz sees in him) and can barely complete 30% of his passes.

At this point, though, I'm thoroughly convinced Kirk is delusional and completely oblivious to reality.

Being as nice and not confrontational as possible....how did anyone not see that coming?

It's like flipping a ****ing coin and being shocked it landed heads.
Exactly! People who thought “complimentary football” means you will continue to narrowly defeat mediocre teams, with the worst offense in the history of the Big10, with a very good defense and punter, have had their heads in the sand.

As far as the quarterback situation is concerned, I don't think it really matters. The system is trash and the OC is incompetent. So, in my mind, it's a moot point.

With that said, Deacon Hill is worse than Spencer Petras. There is really not a lot to lose benching a quarterback who commits three turnovers in one game (since apparently taking care of the football was the upside Ferentz sees in him) and can barely complete 30% of his passes.

At this point, though, I'm thoroughly convinced Kirk is delusional and completely oblivious to reality.
If it helps at all, the situation in Lincoln is eerily similar.

Black Friday is going to be quite the showcase of QB play.

If it helps at all, the situation in Lincoln is eerily similar.

Black Friday is going to be quite the showcase of QB play.
Honestly, I've become pretty indifferent.

It's odd, because Iowa fans are so petrified of change because of Nebraska's coaching carousel.

I don't know what the answer is but I'm pretty sure it's not nepotism.

Being as nice and not confrontational as possible....how did anyone not see that coming?

OP, is this your first year watching Iowa football?

Otherwise, you would have known this was coming at some point over the next couple of weeks
I think all Iowa fans, if they were being honest with themselves, knew that this awful excuse for an offense would eventually catch up to us and cause us to lose a game we shouldn't. But most, like me, were hoping that we would Mr. Magoo our way to a division title. After today's game, I look back and am amazed we've somehow put together 6 wins. Every other team in college football with as bad an offense as ours has 1-2 wins. I think everyone knew that this formula was not sustainable, and today it came crashing down...

It's odd, because Iowa fans are so petrified of change because of Nebraska's coaching carousel.

Nebraska should be looked at as an example, but the take away shouldn't simply be "change is bad".

The takeaway from Nebraska's mistakes should be that when you do make a change, find someone who embraces your strengths and can build upon the foundation of your program. Nebraska tried to change everything with their coaching moves, and it destroyed the foundation that had been built over decades.

Nebraska should be looked at as an example, but the take away shouldn't simply be "change is bad".

The takeaway from Nebraska's mistakes should be that when you do make a change, find someone who embraces your strengths and can build upon the foundation of your program. Nebraska tried to change everything with their coaching moves, and it destroyed the foundation that had been built over decades.
I agree completely.

Iowa is never going to get athletes like at Ohio State, Oregon, etc. Iowa is never going to be a perennial powerhouse, but they can have a decent program with respectable results if they don't stray too far from the core of what has made them reasonably competitive for much of the Ferentz era. I totally agree.

But some change is needed. Even in the midst of going 6-2, the games are just tedious to watch because of how insufferably bad the offense is. And if Kirk isn't willing to change, he needs to go. Because the reality is, especially with the conference expanding, Iowa is going to slip into 4-8 territory anyway if nothing changes.

I agree completely.

Iowa is never going to get athletes like at Ohio State, Oregon, etc. Iowa is never going to be a perennial powerhouse, but they can have a decent program with respectable results if they don't stray too far from the core of what has made them reasonably competitive for much of the Ferentz era. I totally agree.

But some change is needed. Even in the midst of going 6-2, the games are just tedious to watch because of how insufferably bad the offense is. And if Kirk isn't willing to change, he needs to go. Because the reality is, especially with the conference expanding, Iowa is going to slip into 4-8 territory anyway if nothing changes.
I think Iowa is a more attractive landing spot than people give it credit as well. Rabid fan base, tons of financial support. Great game day atmosphere. A proven history of translating talent to the NFL . I see no reason you can't attract a quality candidate to IC.

Just stay away from Tony White.

Next season is going to be bad. 4-8 would not surprise me one bit. I just hope that it is the first year of a rebuild and not yet another year of the Ferentz boys holding the program hostage.
I agree. I'm ready to be in rebuilding mode.

If it takes one or two hires, so be it.

Iowa won't be competitive in the new expanded conference with the Ferentzes, anyway. I don't know why the Ferentz fellatio fans can't figure that out yet.

I think Iowa is a more attractive landing spot than people give it credit as well. Rabid fan base, tons of financial support. Great game day atmosphere. A proven history of translating talent to the NFL . I see no reason you can't attract a quality candidate to IC.

Yeah, Iowa can have a decent program and should have one. As you say, the support is there.

But there are just too many Iowans petrified of change. It's really silly.

That and boomer boosters lived thru 70's Hawkeye football and there's nothing they hate more.

That and liberals.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145

Thanks for your posts - keepin’ coming... 👍

And Iowa hasn't fired their head football coach in 45 years, despite some rather poor stretches in there.

I, for the life of me, cannot understand why so many Iowa fans think that it would be so hard to get an excellent football coach to come to Iowa City. Scared to death to replace a senile old fool.

Well I knew we could lose but I thought we would run the ball better.

But Kirk and Brian must not have surmised that Minny would throw the whole defense at stopping the run.

This Iowa team again cant pass even with some better pass protection than the last 2 years.

You just can’t consistently field this horrible of an offense and expect to win; it was bound to happen at some time. AND if your offense is this bad, you can’t f***ing turn the ball over 3 times. I’d be fine if no one retuned on this offense and they pulled a Deion Sanders and told everyone to walk(besides injured TE’s).

Reactions: TheRealHerky
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT