ADVERTISEMENT

HORT/GIOAT I need your Disney/Universal advice

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
It has been brought up often but from what I understand things have changed quite a bit since we’ve been to them 6 or so years ago. Would like to stay on premises for each, maybe 2 days disney and 2 days universal, or something similar. Kids are 18 and 15. Probably most interested in Epcot and animal kingdom for Disney. Advice on which properties get you the best fast passes or whatever they are called now? Also thinking either very early June or very late July. Thoughts on which is better? TIA!

Disney doesn't have "fast passes" anymore (but you can get early entry into the park if you stay on property).

Instead, they have this annoying app called Genie +

Read about this horrible development here:

Reactions: Tenacious E
Fair point, but we’ve done a lot of “real” destinations lately with Boston, Hawaii, etc. and we will be doing Italy in 2024, so we are looking for something action-packed this time around.

I went 3 weeks ago with my sister and niece.

Wait times are significantly longer than I remember.

No fast passes anymore.

1-3 hour waits.

It was hell on earth.

I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but it’s not action packed. I suppose when it comes to fighting crowds it is.

You know your kids better than anyone, would they enjoy it at their ages?

I went 3 weeks ago with my sister and niece.

Wait times are significantly longer than I remember.

No fast passes anymore.

1-3 hour waits.

It was hell on earth.

I’m not trying to rain on your parade, but it’s not action packed. I suppose when it comes to fighting crowds it is.

You know your kids better than anyone, would they enjoy it at their ages?
Universal for sure. Parts of Disney I don’t care, because I want to see the new Star Wars stuff. We’ve been to both so we’re pretty dialed in on what is a waste of time for us and what is interesting. So… Thinking 2 days at each, then 2 days on the gulf somewhere. I have read what Trad linked and there is some new form of fast pass with genie+, which we will pay for. I will pretty much pay what it takes for a few days to not stand in line.

I just don’t understand the obsession with a Disney vacation. A coworker of mine went last month with his wife and four adult daughters. It was about their 5th visit to the parks and they dropped over $8,000 for the week (4 days of park tickets). He didn’t seem very happy upon returning after dropping so much cash and the weather when they were there was very cold.

All I could think was that my wife and I could easily tour the entire European continent for a month and live very well for the same amount, likely less actually.

I just don’t understand the obsession with a Disney vacation. A coworker of mine went last month with his wife and four adult daughters. It was about their 5th visit to the parks and they dropped over $8,000 for the week (4 days of park tickets). He didn’t seem very happy upon returning after dropping so much cash and the weather when they were there was very cold.

All I could think was that my wife and I could easily tour the entire European continent for a month and live very well for the same amount, likely less actually.
A person could tour the entire continent of europe for a month living “very well” on $4k? Looking at italy, airfare alone is at least $2k. Not calling bullshit on you but would love for you to post the deets on what that would look like.

Last edited:
A person could tour europe for a month living “very well” on $4k? Looking at italy, airfare alone is at least $2k. Not calling bullshit on you but would love for you to post the deets on what that would look like.

Hostels. Lots of Hostels.

A person could tour the entire continent of europe for a month living “very well” on $4k? Looking at italy, airfare alone is at least $2k. Not calling bullshit on you but would love for you to post the deets on what that would look like.
I found several discounters offering flights from ORD TO CDG for under $600 RT. Some nights in hostels as you travel abroad certainly but in many of my favorite areas of Europe they’re great accommodations and we’ve had some of our best experiences meeting other international travelers in hostels. We don’t stay in 4 star hotels because we only sleep there. Most of our expenses are for admissions to various museums and historical venues and food and drink. It’s doable but you have to know what you’re doing and plan ahead.

It has been brought up often but from what I understand things have changed quite a bit since we’ve been to them 6 or so years ago. Would like to stay on premises for each, maybe 2 days disney and 2 days universal, or something similar. Kids are 18 and 15. Probably most interested in Epcot and animal kingdom for Disney. Advice on which properties get you the best fast passes or whatever they are called now? Also thinking either very early June or very late July. Thoughts on which is better? TIA!
Universal is far better for teenagers or older in my opinion. I'm glad we took the kids to Disney once when they were younger but if we go back we would only do Universal.

Universal is far better for teenagers or older in my opinion. I'm glad we took the kids to Disney once when they were younger but if we go back we would only do Universal.
I am having second thoughts on Disney. Thinking a combination of Universal and some time on the Gulf coast would be better. We've done Marco Island a couple of times, as well as Sandestin. Is there a spot our Florida contingent would recommend that would appeal to old teenagers? Tampa?

Reactions: beanerhawk
I am having second thoughts on Disney. Thinking a combination of Universal and some time on the Gulf coast would be better. We've done Marco Island a couple of times, as well as Sandestin. Is there a spot our Florida contingent would recommend that would appeal to old teenagers? Tampa?
When we went we spent a day at Cocoa Beach and the kids enjoyed that. Other then that I don't have a lot.

Universal for sure. Parts of Disney I don’t care, because I want to see the new Star Wars stuff. We’ve been to both so we’re pretty dialed in on what is a waste of time for us and what is interesting. So… Thinking 2 days at each, then 2 days on the gulf somewhere. I have read what Trad linked and there is some new form of fast pass with genie+, which we will pay for. I will pretty much pay what it takes for a few days to not stand in line.

I was just at Disney a month ago.

Star Wars stuff is in Hollywood Studios which I highly recommend.

Animal Kingdom, we didn't have that great of a time there but a lot of that might have had to do with one time circumstances.

I stayed off property and I wouldn't change that if I was going back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT