ADVERTISEMENT

House GOP targets federal workers who walk out over Gaza

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
Top House Republicans plan to press federal agencies to punish workers who participate in a planned walk out next week in protest of the Biden administration's support for Israel.

Why it matters: It's the first time Congress has gotten involved in the widespread staff-level dissent taking place within the federal government over the Israel-Hamas war.

Driving the news: Federal workers across nearly two dozen agencies including the White House, the Pentagon and the State Department plan to walk off the job on Tuesday, according to the Middle East-focused news site Al-Monitor.

• The protest, led by a group of dozens of federal employees calling itself Feds United For Peace, is reportedly to observe a "Day of Mourning" on the 100th day since Israel began military operations in Gaza last October.
  • Hundreds of Biden administration employees are expected to participate in the demonstration, the outlet reported.
What they're saying: "Any government worker who walks off the job to protest U.S. support for our ally Israel is ignoring their responsibility and abusing the trust of taxpayers," House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) said in a statement.

• Johnson said he and House Oversight Committee Chair James Comer (R-Ky.) will "be working together to ensure that each federal agency initiates appropriate disciplinary proceedings" against anyone who participates in Tuesday's demonstration.
  • "They deserve to be fired," Johnson said.
  • Between the lines: The conservative magazine National Review made the case that the protest violates federal law, pointing to a statute punishing any federal employee who "participates in a strike ... against the Government of the United States" with a fine or up to a year in prison.

• Love
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
So you’re cool with them walking off the job to give their boss the middle finger?

I’m thinking the very least they should be put on leave without pay for that day.
I'm cool with the Rs trying to solve actual problems. Instead they wait for the Dems to do the real stuff, bitch about it, then try to take credit for it after it becomes successful.

But if you're cool with the Rs making up problems, and magically having the only solution, then fair enough. Just know they're selling you snakeoil here.

I'm cool with the Rs trying to solve actual problems. Instead they wait for the Dems to do the real stuff, bitch about it, then try to take credit for it after it becomes successful.

But if you're cool with the Rs making up problems, and magically having the only solution, then fair enough. Just know they're selling you snakeoil here.
Nice avoidance of my question and thread subject.

Nice avoidance of my question and thread subject.
So it's a MASSIVE problem what these workers are doing? This is really THAT upsetting to you? Again, I don't understand why we don't see border solution bill after bill coming from Republicans instead of the crap we've seen over the last year. The least effective HOUSE in history. Do nothings. Like people here tell you all the time. Pretty sure it won't ever sink in.

Did you bother to read your own link? They're floating a year in prison for one day of not going to work. Ofc I don't support this. It's idiotic. My question is why you do?
Actually, I imagine Bins could BoThSiDeS this situation and conclude that this action constitutes an “insurrection” far more serious and dangerous than the little soiree we witnessed on Jan 6.

Did you bother to read your own link? They're floating a year in prison for one day of not going to work. Ofc I don't support this. It's idiotic. My question is why you do?
If said I’d charge them one day leave without pay.

That said…federal employees shouldn’t be protesting the president’s policy’s. Not in an organized way….

They’re very close to crossing the line…

May not engage in political activity — i.e., activity directed at the success or failure of a political party, candidate for partisan political office, or partisan political group — while the employee is on duty, in any federal room or building, while wearing a uniform or official insignia, or using any federally owned ...

Speaking as someone who will not vote Republican again until they eradicate MAGA ideology from the party…

If the employees walk off without using vacation time then they should be subject to disciplinary action the same as they would do for any unexcused absence. If the administration does not follow their normal procedures then I would have no issue with the responsible cabinet officials being called before Congress.

Congress should not meddle in the daily administration of our government…if Republicans want to do that then win the White House.

Also…F*ck Hamas and anyone who doesn’t see the rationale behind why we have to provide the support to Israel we have.

That said…federal employees shouldn’t be protesting the president’s policy’s. Not in an organized way….

May not engage in political activity — i.e., activity directed at the success or failure of a political party, candidate for partisan political office, or partisan political group — while the employee is on duty, in any federal room or building, while wearing a uniform or official insignia, or using any federally owned ...
I'm fine not paying them. Don't show up for work don't get paid. But the rest is ridiculous. And it makes me cringe that crap like this is all the Rs can do. That's my bigger complaint.

Reactions: HawkMD
Congress has MUCH bigger things to worry about. This Congress is one of the most chaotic and least productive in American history.

Reactions: lucas80

LWOP is requested by the employee. It is not a disciplinary action. AWOL is.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
So you’re cool with them walking off the job to give their boss the middle finger?

I’m thinking the very least they should be put on leave without pay for that day.
I’m perfectly fine with that. However that punishment, whatever it is, should be in line with missing a day without notice for any other reason. I’m not fine with a department head increasing the discipline simply because the speaker of the house doesn’t agree with their political stance.

Reactions: funksouljon
seems pretty noncommittal to me…as per usual.
Once again, bins, this isn't a real problem for Congress to address. The only reason Rs pull this stuff is out of laziness. They can't do healthcare, infrastructure, the debt, or even the border. All they have are stunts like this. Personally it's embarrassing how bad Rs are at their jobs.

Reactions: HawkMD and nu2u
I’m perfectly fine with that. However that punishment, whatever it is, should be in line with missing a day without notice for any other reason. I’m not fine with a department head increasing the discipline simply because the speaker of the house doesn’t agree with their political stance.
They’re federal employees…

They’re pretty close to crossing the line by announcing they’re doing this…if they kept it on the down low no issues.

They’ve been pretty public that they work for the administration.

Reactions: goldmom
Once again, bins, this isn't a real problem for Congress to address. The only reason Rs pull this stuff is out of laziness. They can't do healthcare, infrastructure, the debt, or even the border. All they have are stunts like this. Personally it's embarrassing how bad Rs are at their jobs.
I agree congress doesn’t need to be wasting their time with this…

The administration should.

They’re federal employees…

They’re pretty close to crossing the line by announcing they’re doing this…if they kept it on the down low no issues.

They’ve been pretty public that they work for the administration.

Pretty close to crossing the line is not a Hatch Act violation. Can you get anything right in this thread?

Reactions: lucas80
So “hundreds” of federal employees may walk off their job to protest. There are around 300,000 fed employees in the DC area. Let the effected executive agencies handle the discipline for a fraction of less than 1% of the fed workforce.

They work for us.
We are the USA, not another country. They work for the USA not another country. You know, this isn’t difficult.
It’s not an excuse to have another argument on here about crap.
These people have solid jobs with solid compensation and our taxes pay for that.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
They work for us.
We are the USA, not another country. They work for the USA not another country. You know, this isn’t difficult.
These people have solid jobs with solid compensation and our taxes pay for that.
Don’t pay them if they walk off. Problem solved

Reactions: Huey Grey
They work for us.
They are citizens, with the rights of citizens.
If they get docked pay, fine, but that isn't what this is about.
And, @binsfeldcyhawk2 are there supporting stories about how Johnson is pushing for any federal employee who stormed the Capitol to be fired, or any employee who walks off the job to protest for the pro life movement?
This is nothing but base stroking by the least productive House in the history of this country.

They are citizens, with the rights of citizens.
If they get docked pay, fine, but that isn't what this is about.
And, @binsfeldcyhawk2 are there supporting stories about how Johnson is pushing for any federal employee who stormed the Capitol to be fired, or any employee who walks off the job to protest for the pro life movement?
This is nothing but base stroking by the least productive House in the history of this country.
Deflection as usual.

Federal employees shouldn’t be protesting their boss over foreign policy. I think it’s inappropriate and is a bad precedent.

Just my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT