ADVERTISEMENT

House GOP targets federal workers who walk out over Gaza

Deflection as usual.

Federal employees shouldn’t be protesting their boss over foreign policy. I think it’s inappropriate and is a bad precedent.

Just my opinion.
It isn't a deflection, it's reality. Citizens have rights. For now, anyway.
A deflection is the "Top Republicans", doing this instead of comprehensive immigration reform, or funding the government.

I’m fully in favor of disciplining federal employees who take from us taxpayers and don’t provide an honest day’s work.

Let’s start with Congress!
To me this is a way bigger issue. We have Congress members showing dick pics on the floor, members screaming at each other, members blowing off vote after vote, playing on their phones constantly, heckling, nearly getting in fist fights, giving speeches in gas masks. If any federal employees not in Congress did just one of these, they would be fired. Where's Johnson's guidance on this?

I don’t disagree with the House R’s on this at all. Go protest on your own time. You walk off the job, you abdicate your position.

I don’t disagree with the House R’s on this at all. Go protest on your own time. You walk off the job, you abdicate your position.
A good portion of Congress walks off their jobs on any given day. How do they still have their jobs? I mean we all know. But the double standard is embarrassing imo.

Reactions: HawkMD
We should fire them as well.
Or at least not pay them for the day. Instead Congress gets a complete pass on this. A lot of members only vote half the time. Yet they get paid fully. Why? Again, we all know why. But let's get serious. This is a far bigger problem than a a very infrequent walkout.

They’re federal employees…

They’re pretty close to crossing the line by announcing they’re doing this…if they kept it on the down low no issues.

They’ve been pretty public that they work for the administration.

Free speech is still a thing for federal employees. If they aren’t at work they have the same speech rights. They can be punished for missing work. That’s all

Free speech is still a thing for federal employees. If they aren’t at work they have the same speech rights. They can be punished for missing work. That’s all
Announcing a walkout as federal employees is walking a fine line IMO.

If they just had participated in the protests no problem.

There’s a reason those federal employees were wearing masks a few weeks back when they talked to the press

1) If said I’d charge them one day leave without pay.

2) ...activity directed at the success or failure of a political party, candidate for partisan political office, or partisan political group — while the employee is on duty, in any federal room or building, while wearing a uniform or official insignia, or using any federally owned ...
1) Agree. Civil disobedience carries consequences. I have no problem with federal workers facing consequences in line with their actions. Termination and/or prison time are FAR out of line, and it's radical that elected official from the GOP are suggesting this. This is NOT some fringe element of the party (i.e., "the Squad), this is the HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER. When the GOP is clearly telling us that their goal is authoritarianism, we should believe them.

2) This is exactly what Trump has in mind for a second term. Firing any federal employees who don't stand with him politically and replacing them with sycophants regardless of their qualifications to perform the job. When Trump is clearly telling us that his goal is authoritarianism, we should believe him.

Announcing a walkout as federal employees is walking a fine line IMO.

If they just had participated in the protests no problem.

There’s a reason those federal employees were wearing masks a few weeks back when they talked to the press
Sure. Because they felt they felt they would likely be persecuted for their political beliefs. In this case, by republicans in the house.

1) Agree. Civil disobedience carries consequences. I have no problem with federal workers facing consequences in line with their actions. Termination and/or prison time are FAR out of line, and it's radical that elected official from the GOP are suggesting this. This is NOT some fringe element of the party (i.e., "the Squad), this is the HOUSE MAJORITY LEADER. When the GOP is clearly telling us that their goal is authoritarianism, we should believe them.

2) This is exactly what Trump has in mind for a second term. Firing any federal employees who don't stand with him politically and replacing them with sycophants regardless of their qualifications to perform the job. When Trump is clearly telling us that his goal is authoritarianism, we should believe him.
Point #2 for @FAUlty Gator

Guys this is simple. If you want to protest you have to ensure that @binsfeldcyhawk2 is comfortable with how you choose to protest.
First they came for the black plagiarists who went to Phillips Exeter and were gifted the Presidency of Harvard University based upon their identities

... and I did not speak out

because I was not a black plagiarist who went to Phillips Exeter and was gifted the Presidency of Harvard University based upon my identities

2.federal employees walking off the job protesting policy isn’t a good path to go down IMO

Quite frankly I don’t remember something like this happening before.

• Haha
Reactions: EvolutionDenier
If the employees walk off without using vacation time then they should be subject to disciplinary action the same as they would do for any unexcused absence. If the administration does not follow their normal procedures then I would have no issue with the responsible cabinet officials being called before Congress.
This is different because it is Federal employees involved in making a political statement on Federal time. It is a Hatch Act violation, a law that has been on the books for many years and one that Federal employees take annual training on. They know better than to do this. One could make the case this is an Insurrection, worse than Jan. 6.

This is a case where the R's are once again being put in a position to have to try to enforce laws that are on the books because nobody else will

I have zero sympathy for any Fed that participates n this walk off. Like I said, they know better. Penalties should be they lose their job and face a fine, possible imprisonment for the organizers

What's that matter? We've already seen this. So why are the Rs suddenly interested in it now beyond revenge politics?
I had a problem with this before r’s brought it up.

I think it’s a conflict of interest.

Unfortunately since R’s brought it up it’s apparently a team R v team D thing for the board apparently…

This is different because it is Federal employees involved in making a political statement on Federal time. It is a Hatch Act violation, a law that has been on the books for many years and one that Federal employees take annual training on. They know better than to do this. One could make the case this is an Insurrection, worse than Jan. 6.

This is a case where the R's are once again being put in a position to have to try to enforce laws that are on the books because nobody else will

I have zero sympathy for any Fed that participates n this walk off. Like I said, they know better. Penalties should be they lose their job and face a fine, possible imprisonment for the organizers
Hatch Act deals with campaigning and exchanging of funds for political purposes. This protest is neither

I had a problem with this before r’s brought it up.

I think it’s a conflict of interest.

Unfortunately since R’s brought it up it’s apparently a team R v team D thing for the board apparently…
Beyond blowing off work, which we both agree should result in the typical consequences of blowing off work, how is this a conflict of interest?

Reactions: HawkMD
Beyond blowing off work, which we both agree should result in the typical consequences of blowing off work, how is this a conflict of interest?
In the case of the state department fed employees and the WH staff. They’re protesting directly against a policy they’re charged with carrying out.

In addition, in contrast to the rest of the civilian population their protests carry more weight as they have direct access and work with/for the decision makers.

I think an addition to the hatch act is needed as this isn’t a good precedent moving forward IMO.

I have no issue disciplining the employees for not working - up to and including loss of job if that is the rule. I have no issue not paying them so as to make it their own personal time. I have no issue with Congress bringing in cabinet officials to call them to task if they fail to adhere to their standard practices in dealing with this type of thing.

I have a big issue calling this an insurrection. Are they trying to overthrow the US government or otherwise disenfranchise voters? Don’t get me wrong, I have no love lost for those that would take this step…throw whatever rules they violate straight at them with all the consequences. But you are reaching big time and being more than a little melodramatic in your characterization.

In the case of the state department fed employees and the WH staff. They’re protesting directly against a policy they’re charged with carrying out.

In addition, in contrast to the rest of the civilian population their protests carry more weight as they have direct access and work with/for the decision makers.

I think an addition to the hatch act is needed as this isn’t a good precedent moving forward IMO.
You can't put an addition in the the Hatch Act barring protests like this. That's an unconstitutional violation of freedom of speech.

You can't put an addition in the the Hatch Act barring protests like this. That's an unconstitutional violation of freedom of speech.
You could bar federal employees from
Participating on government time…even make it specific to the department they work in.

If they work in the state department they can’t protest against state department policy positions.

I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

1. Unauthorized job walkouts should be the subject of employee discipline, full stop.
2. It is particularly the case in the case of the State Department, which not only is the agency charged with implementing the president's foreign policy, but also has a very robust private channel within the agency for expressing dissenting views. That is where this belongs. You don't get to throw yourself on the floor and hold your breath when you don't get your way.
3. As far as white house staff? Find another job. You serve at the pleasure of the president, and your job is to execute the president's policy preferences, and for god's sake don't make him look bad politically.
4. Congress' role? Shut your goddamn mouth.

Dollars to donuts that the median age of those walking off will be under 35. This isn't like college where you get 'sentenced' to write an essay expressing your shame for violating the student code of conduct and how you are really just like Hitler. I used to laugh at a law school buddy who honestly thought that working a year on the campaign wearing a chicken suit to disrupt opposition events would get him a senior policy appointment subject to senate confirmation. Now that seems to be the presumption.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
I'm guessing these 20 or so employees will need to have approved leave before doing this

Nailed it!

Feds United for Peace, a group that says it represents employees at more than two-dozen agencies, implored federal workers to take leave on Jan. 16 as a form of opposition to the U.S. government’s resolute support of Israel in the face of tens of thousands of civilian deaths in Gaza.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT