ADVERTISEMENT

How a high school coach feels about LeVar Woods & Iowa coaches in general

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
A lot of people say LeVar should be the next Iowa head coach.

From a Nebraska High School Head Coach:

Fwxd3ltWIAMazyR

Last edited:
A lot of people say LeVar should be the next Iowa head coach.

From a Nebraska High School Head Coach:

Fwxd3ltWIAMazyR
Bra ****ing vo! The Never Ferentz bitter enders will never accept anything good about Iowa football. Always met with snark or low brow attacks. Almost everywhere you go in the country you will find football people saying the same things. Everyone knows that Iowa punches way above our weight class.

THANK YOU FOR BRINGING SOMETHING POSITIVE TO THE TABLE!

Bra ****ing vo! The Never Ferentz bitter enders will never accept anything good about Iowa football. Always met with snark or low brow attacks. Almost everywhere you go in the country you will find football people saying the same things. Everyone knows that Iowa punches way above our weight class.

You know what would be really positive?

Iowa winning a national championship.......

Guess nobody cares about stuff that's actually important. 5 replies in 23 hours; that's sad.

It's all about how cool of plays you can run for most of these jackass fans these days
I cheer for the Hawkeyes and bleed for the black & gold.

I have gone to Iowa games for decades.

I am a big fan of Kirk Ferentz.

I think Phil Parker walks on water and is underpaid as he is the best Def. Coordinator in the country.

I think LaVar Woods is a very good coach and would be a great choice to take over when KF retires.

Brian Ferentz is a horrible Off. Coordinator and it is a fricking joke he kept his job.

I cheer for the Hawkeyes and bleed for the black & gold.

I have gone to Iowa games for decades.

I am a big fan of Kirk Ferentz.

I think Phil Parker walks on water and is underpaid as he is the best Def. Coordinator in the country.

I think LaVar Woods is a very good coach and would be a great choice to take over when KF retires.

Brian Ferentz is a horrible Off. Coordinator and it is a fricking joke he kept his job.
Phil Parker has literally saved KFs bacon. If not for him, could you imagine what our record would be. KF must be doing something right to keep Phil around. I would like to see Woods get a Coordinator job before he gets the HC gig.

Absolutely!!!

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Phil Parker has literally saved KFs bacon. If not for him, could you imagine what our record would be. KF must be doing something right to keep Phil around. I would like to see Woods get a Coordinator job before he gets the HC gig.

I wonder what Phil would say to this? I’d wager he’d have a much fonder opinion of the man who hired him & promoted him.

I’d guess PP likely thinks KF is a hell of a coach, which makes your opinion fairly tired, eh?

PS….Woods is a coordinator!

Woods already has a coordinator job has made Iowa special teams one of the most elite units in the country. The HC job is about managing and getting recruits in the door. Levar Woods would be a great HC candidate.

I wonder what Phil would say to this? I’d wager he’d have a much fonder opinion of the man who hired him & promoted him.

I’d guess PP likely thinks KF is a hell of a coach, which makes your opinion fairly tired, eh?

PS….Woods is a coordinator!
I'm talking DC or OC. I would have a higher opinion of KF if not for the nepotism and his inability to get the offense right. But as Meatloaf once said 'two out of 3 ain't bad'

• Haha
I’m firmly in the camp that Levar should be the next head hawk.

Reactions: kkhawk
I'm talking DC or OC. I would have a higher opinion of KF if not for the nepotism and his inability to get the offense right. But as Meatloaf once said 'two out of 3 ain't bad'
you must really hate the fact there are three Harbaughs coaching Michigan's FB. to think that if Stoop had been hired, both of his brothers would have joined him. oh no there's that god forbidden word "nepotism" times 3 vs what we have now times 2,

Reactions: pistachio1999
Spoke to the head coach of Bellevue West (high school WR K. Johnson came from) at a golf outing....he said the same thing. That quote sounds like him.

you must really hate the fact there are three Harbaughs coaching Michigan's FB. to think that if Stoop had been hired, both of his brothers would have joined him. oh no there's that god forbidden word "nepotism" times 3 vs what we have now times 2,
Not my monkey,not my circus. Don't give a rats ass what they do. BF sucks at his job and the only reason he still has it is Dad.

as Woods ever played offense or has he even led the offense or how about coaching the QB

the answer is a resounding no to all those questions. and you bitch about Brian supposedly not having any qualifications to be the OC/QB coach and now you want to put Woods who has even less experience to be Brian's replacement. sometime the level of intelligence is highly questionable.

as Woods ever played offense or has he even led the offense or how about coaching the QB

the answer is a resounding no to all those questions. and you bitch about Brian supposedly not having any qualifications to be the OC/QB coach and now you want to put Woods who has even less experience to be Brian's replacement. sometime the level of intelligence is highly questionable.
I know you have me on ignore, but please sit this one out and go to bed.

Thanks from all of us at GIA Iowa Football board.

Wtf are you talking about. You actually read the article by Dochterman? It’s talking about Woods as a HC some day not an OC or replacing the incompetent BF. But one thing for sure Woods has excelled at everything he’s done including coaching TEs to one of the best SP units year in and out in the nation.

Woods is by far the best candidate on the Iowa staff who has aspirations to be a HC some day to succeed KF if new AD goes that route. Has the right personality and well respected among his peers and HS coaches in recruiting along with former players such as Kittle in the article praising him.

I am shocked that the resident racist does not want a black man to be Iowa's head coach.

I am shocked that the resident racist does not want a black man to be Iowa's head coach.
Pretty low hanging fruit. So a special teams coach with no head coaching experience at any level has to be our next head coach, and if you dont agree with that you will be called a ray-ciss ? That’s not going to fly. Would there Be the same fervor for a special teams coach if he was Italian or Irish ? I don’t think so. whats wrong with having a merit based search when the time comes ?

Pretty low hanging fruit. So a special teams coach with no head coaching experience at any level has to be our next head coach, and if you dont agree with that you will be called a ray-ciss ? That’s not going to fly. Would there Be the same fervor for a special teams coach if he was Italian or Irish ? I don’t think so. whats wrong with having a merit based search when the time comes ?
Just freaking admit it. You would hate a merit based search that chose a black man as the next Iowa head coach. You're not fooling anyone.

Just freaking admit it. You would hate a merit based search that chose a black man as the next Iowa head coach. You're not fooling anyone.
Lmao

so tressel, kleiman, solich have to pay their dues at a mid major but not levar, and if you don’t get on board you must be some kind of bigot , sorry, the next head coach has to have a resume of actually winning games as a head coach and running a program. This is ridiculous.

if you make your head coaching hires based on politics and not merit you will suffer the consequences.

• Haha
Quick question ... how do you objectively measure merit? Think hard about that one. A lot of folks seem to think that merit is some objective, tangible thing ... but I'm not sure it is so transparent.

That being said ... I'd agree that folks shouldn't immediately jump to the "racist conclusion" ... often what we observe is ignorance parading as racism. Other occasions, it's truly perceptual. And yeah ... sometimes some folks are just plain racists.

Anyhow, that all said ... Kirk Ferentz got a gig as a head coach at Iowa ... and he wasn't some uber-experienced guy prior to that. He was an OL coach at Iowa, head coach at Maine for a short few years, then 6 years as a positional coach in the NFL. A key element of his background is that he apprenticed under guys, from whom he learned a lot about organization (in the context of football).

If you look at Coach Woods ... his background is pretty interesting. He's coached on BOTH sides of the ball ... both for LBs and TEs. Furthermore, he coordinates a whole facet of the game (special-teams). To do what he's done ... it demonstrates understanding on both sides of the ball. Furthermore, what he's accomplished on special teams AND from everything that I know about how he runs special-teams at Iowa ... he's detail-oriented, a strong teacher, and very organized.

Woods has learned from a long list of experienced coaches. When he was coaching at LB ... he got mentored by Coach Jim Reid (a guy who was instrumental in mentoring Phil at DC too!). On the offensive side of the ball, he worked under Coach Greg Davis (another coaching veteran) ... and he also was able to pick the brains of Coach Morgan and Brian ... both of whom also had prior TE-coaching experience.

Lastly, an important quality of anyone who is truly head-coach material is their ability to relate well to others (donors, players, etc). I've never heard anything about Coach Woods that simply didn't glow about him as a person.

Fans like to overvalue the schematic acumen of coaches ... however, the ability to teach, motivate, and develop players is every bit as important. It's frankly been the driving force for Iowa's success over nearly the last 40 years.

I honestly don't know if LeVar is "ready" to be a head coach for a major program quite yet ... but I can definitely see him becoming an excellent head coach.

Quick question ... how do you objectively measure merit? Think hard about that one. A lot of folks seem to think that merit is some objective, tangible thing ... but I'm not sure it is so transparent.

That being said ... I'd agree that folks shouldn't immediately jump to the "racist conclusion" ... often what we observe is ignorance parading as racism. Other occasions, it's truly perceptual. And yeah ... sometimes some folks are just plain racists.

Anyhow, that all said ... Kirk Ferentz got a gig as a head coach at Iowa ... and he wasn't some uber-experienced guy prior to that. He was an OL coach at Iowa, head coach at Maine for a short few years, then 6 years as a positional coach in the NFL. A key element of his background is that he apprenticed under guys, from whom he learned a lot about organization (in the context of football).

If you look at Coach Woods ... his background is pretty interesting. He's coached on BOTH sides of the ball ... both for LBs and TEs. Furthermore, he coordinates a whole facet of the game (special-teams). To do what he's done ... it demonstrates understanding on both sides of the ball. Furthermore, what he's accomplished on special teams AND from everything that I know about how he runs special-teams at Iowa ... he's detail-oriented, a strong teacher, and very organized.

Woods has learned from a long list of experienced coaches. When he was coaching at LB ... he got mentored by Coach Jim Reid (a guy who was instrumental in mentoring Phil at DC too!). On the offensive side of the ball, he worked under Coach Greg Davis (another coaching veteran) ... and he also was able to pick the brains of Coach Morgan and Brian ... both of whom also had prior TE-coaching experience.

Lastly, an important quality of anyone who is truly head-coach material is their ability to relate well to others (donors, players, etc). I've never heard anything about Coach Woods that simply didn't glow about him as a person.

Fans like to overvalue the schematic acumen of coaches ... however, the ability to teach, motivate, and develop players is every bit as important. It's frankly been the driving force for Iowa's success over nearly the last 40 years.

I honestly don't know if LeVar is "ready" to be a head coach for a major program quite yet ... but I can definitely see him becoming an excellent head coach.
Have you e ver hired someone based on qualifications for a job based on resume, experience and background ? That is merit based. Just as you said, KF paid his dues and garnered experience at Maine and the nfl. Levar can win at lower level programs then move up to p5 unless we are using a criteria here other than merit.

• Haha
I’m thinking that post was more in reference to a poster who posts delusional takes but for those who remember from his past had a bad racial take or 2. Hence the resident racist comment. I took it more as subtle dig at him more than anything but that’s just me.

When KF hangs it up I again think Woods is the guy if new AD stays in house. No more barta and last 2-3 years of turmoil the BF ship has sailed (thank goodness). However it will be interesting what outside candidates with HC experience express interest in the job. Most Wisconsin fans assumed Jim Leonhard was a shoe in after chryst was let go before Fickell showed interest.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT