ADVERTISEMENT

How a high school coach feels about LeVar Woods & Iowa coaches in general

KF is going to the Hall of Fame. Where exactly did have a resume of winning games as a head coach? Maine.? You're 100% about politics and quit denying it.
Seriously? So the guy will end up at least the 2nd winningest B1G coach in history, (and before you go there ALL the other guys on there were there a long time as well), B1G coach of the year more times then anyone, and twice national coach of the year, and your bringing up his record at freakin Maine? You can make up shit like Woody and Bo won more, but 1). They were coaching power houses and not Iowa, and 2) for most of their time a lot of the conference sucked. You know the Big two/little 8 thing right.....

most forget that ST's are made up of the best Athletes on the team. so Woods gets the best players for his ST's. don't hear about injuries on the ST's now do any of you?
Wow, so now your dogging coach Woods? So why pick out this exemplary coach as the ONE guy on the staff, your dogging? Hmmm.. interesting. For the record ALL the best athletes are not on specials, its OFTEN freshman and guys working their way into starting jobs, so No. Second specials guys stars get hurt also, and they just plug someone else in. CDJ, and Scary Terry both missed time. Jamie Murphy, etccc... This job probably requires MORE teaching then any on the staff, because the turnover of players is more constant, so wrong again.....

Seriously? So the guy will end up at least the 2nd winningest B1G coach in history, (and before you go there ALL the other guys on there were there a long time as well), B1G coach of the year more times then anyone, and twice national coach of the year, and your bringing up his record at freakin Maine? You can make up shit like Woody and Bo won more, but 1). They were coaching power houses and not Iowa, and 2) for most of their time a lot of the conference sucked. You know the Big two/little 8 thing right.....
He is not the second winningest B1G coach in history. He's 68th in win percentage.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/conferences/big-ten/coaches.html

If you insist that it's raw number of wins, not percentage that defines it... then he's already the "losingest" coach in B1G history as he has more losses than anyone

ANyone know about or remember our great hire, Bob Commings. Just a rah rah guy with an Iowa history. Did very well in HIGH SCHOOL! No real national recruiting or coaching experience. Did not end so well.
Side note: I think his most famous quote is 'Up the gut'.

• Haha
Reactions: HogLovinHawkeye
Have you e ver hired someone based on qualifications for a job based on resume, experience and background ? That is merit based. Just as you said, KF paid his dues and garnered experience at Maine and the nfl. Levar can win at lower level programs then move up to p5 unless we are using a criteria here other than merit.
What you're indicating is somewhat different. Merit relates more to achievement. What you're speaking of relates more to a possessed skill-set.

As it relates to Woods ... he started at the absolute bottom at Iowa and has worked his way up. How is that NOT some form of paying his dues?

The business of football is replete with examples like Pat Fitzgerald ... a smart guy who had the requisite skill set ... but jumped into the "big chair" prematurely according to your logic.

If you look to the NFL ... folks are often hired without prior head-coaching experience ... and there is a heck of a lot more money on the line there.

Again ... since I'm a STEM/tech type ... there are a ton of employers now that completely forego "normal" interviews ... and they simply have applicants take a proctored exam to see if they have the requisite, adaptive problem-solving skill-set.

What you're indicating is somewhat different. Merit relates more to achievement. What you're speaking of relates more to a possessed skill-set.

As it relates to Woods ... he started at the absolute bottom at Iowa and has worked his way up. How is that NOT some form of paying his dues?

The business of football is replete with examples like Pat Fitzgerald ... a smart guy who had the requisite skill set ... but jumped into the "big chair" prematurely according to your logic.

If you look to the NFL ... folks are often hired without prior head-coaching experience ... and there is a heck of a lot more money on the line there.

Again ... since I'm a STEM/tech type ... there are a ton of employers now that completely forego "normal" interviews ... and they simply have applicants take a proctored exam to see if they have the requisite, adaptive problem-solving skill-set.
then why do ignore what Brian has done then?
played on the line in college. played on the line in the Pro's, then coached TE's in the pro's, coached the OL in college for 6 years then was the run game coordinator and OL Coach for 1 year

then Brian was promoted to the OC/TE position coach for 5 years. then in the spring of his 6th year he was named the OC/QB coach and Hodges was hired and named the TE coach, Brian only had the months between March and August to work directly with the QB's.

I am betting that most of you were given more time than that to learn your new position.

He is not the second winningest B1G coach in history. He's 68th in win percentage.

If you insist that it's raw number of wins, not percentage that defines it... then he's already the "losingest" coach in B1G history as he has more losses than anyone
Or, out of 228 on the list, he's in the top 30% of all coaches.

Take away his first two seasons when he was rebuilding the program that was floundering at the end of the Fry era and he's in the top 23% of all coaches.

19 of the 67 ahead of him coached at either Michigan or Ohio State, and obvious advantage.

21 of the 67 ahead of him coached 20 games or less, a small sample size.

All of it . . . They're just numbers.

I'm glad he's been Iowa's coach.

Take away his first two seasons when he was rebuilding the program that was floundering at the end of the Fry era and he's in the top 23% of all coaches.

19 of the 67 ahead of him coached at either Michigan or Ohio State, and obvious advantage.

Me too. I just think one should be honest about the numbers.

Reactions: BrotherHawkeye
played on the line in college. played on the line in the Pro's, then coached TE's in the pro's, coached the OL in college for 6 years then was the run game coordinator and OL Coach for 1 year

then Brian was promoted to the OC/TE position coach for 5 years. then in the spring of his 6th year he was named the OC/QB coach and Hodges was hired and named the TE coach, Brian only had the months between March and August to work directly with the QB's.

I am betting that most of you were given more time than that to learn your new position.
Because he has regressed in his position? His worst two years are his last two years. Maybe the first four he was gravy training from the previous system.....now it's all his. Just a thought.
Feel free to enlighten us on how 1999 went, how Hock and Fant were 1st rounders......doesn't erase the last two years.
FYI If my 6th year was my worst year and it followed my fifth year which at that point in time was my worst year.......don't think that I get a 7th year.

Because he has regressed in his position? His worst two years are his last two years. Maybe the first four he was gravy training from the previous system.....now it's all his. Just a thought.
Feel free to enlighten us on how 1999 went, how Hock and Fant were 1st rounders......doesn't erase the last two years.
FYI If my 6th year was my worst year and it followed my fifth year which at that point in time was my worst year.......don't think that I get a 7th year.
Don’t forget to add after he took over QB duties we saw the worst statistical season by Iowa qbs in the last 40 years. Where in 13 games had single digits in passing tds which is unheard of in todays college football unless you are a service academy.

Again, I realize full well he's been at Iowa a lllooonnnggg time, and that has led to his wins and loses. What I do know is its a damn grind to be anywhere for 25 years and survive, BUT the guy still puts a damn solid product in the field from a competitive standpoint, and I don't believe we've seen the last of Iowa being a top 10 team. I call that pretty remarkable given the turnover that is rampant in college athletics.

Don’t forget to add after he took over QB duties we saw the worst statistical season by Iowa qbs in the last 40 years. Where in 13 games had single digits in passing tds which is unheard of in todays college football unless you are a service academy.
I think we'll see this year that the QB issue was a combination of poor OL play and a QB who just couldn't make plays without everything being right around him. Unfortunately his primary backup was not an upgrade to the position and that led to what we saw the last two years.

Excellent job of looking beyond the numbers BrotherHawk

• Haha
I don't disagree, but they don't tell the whole story either. There just a part of it.
True. I wasn't criticizing KFz, he's done a hell of a job at Iowa...and more than just the Ws and Ls as you said.

I just have a thing about statistics and questionable sports cliches. No doubt KFz will be remembered as one of the great coaches in B1G history....but he won't be the "winningest".

• Haha

I haven't said anything about Brian. I'm one of the very few posters here who tend to speak positively of Brian's football acumen. I just also happen to know that Brian can be quite a dick too ... hence, I'm not a fan of the fellow.

Anyhow, as much as I like LeVar ... I hope that Phil gets a shake to be our next coach before LeVar. That's no knock on LeVar ... it's more of a "tip of the cap" to Phil.

The fact of the matter is that Iowa has quite a number of really talented and knowledgeable coaches on the staff. Despite Seth's poor judgement in berating Jack Kallenberger ... Seth was viewed as such a talented football mind that Coach Reid tried to poach him from our staff. Niemann has a track-record as being a former P5 DC. Kelvin Bell is a former comp-sci major ... and is clearly a critical member of the football braintrust on the defensive side of the ball.

I love fans who post at midnight and first thing they do on holiday morning is go to other teams page before 7am. Living rent free. We own him.

LOL…no shit and to be fair we can all get carried away from time to time and he has “fired” up a few scant people… but really it’s embarrassing. Anyone with any cognitive thinking skills would know how it makes them look….

He’ll be by in a minute to “fix” my post. But it is a better, funnier go than spending 4 months with the laughing emoji….Holy Snikes!

Last edited:
Quick question ... how do you objectively measure merit? Think hard about that one. A lot of folks seem to think that merit is some objective, tangible thing ... but I'm not sure it is so transparent.

That being said ... I'd agree that folks shouldn't immediately jump to the "racist conclusion" ... often what we observe is ignorance parading as racism. Other occasions, it's truly perceptual. And yeah ... sometimes some folks are just plain racists.

Anyhow, that all said ... Kirk Ferentz got a gig as a head coach at Iowa ... and he wasn't some uber-experienced guy prior to that. He was an OL coach at Iowa, head coach at Maine for a short few years, then 6 years as a positional coach in the NFL. A key element of his background is that he apprenticed under guys, from whom he learned a lot about organization (in the context of football).

If you look at Coach Woods ... his background is pretty interesting. He's coached on BOTH sides of the ball ... both for LBs and TEs. Furthermore, he coordinates a whole facet of the game (special-teams). To do what he's done ... it demonstrates understanding on both sides of the ball. Furthermore, what he's accomplished on special teams AND from everything that I know about how he runs special-teams at Iowa ... he's detail-oriented, a strong teacher, and very organized.

Woods has learned from a long list of experienced coaches. When he was coaching at LB ... he got mentored by Coach Jim Reid (a guy who was instrumental in mentoring Phil at DC too!). On the offensive side of the ball, he worked under Coach Greg Davis (another coaching veteran) ... and he also was able to pick the brains of Coach Morgan and Brian ... both of whom also had prior TE-coaching experience.

Lastly, an important quality of anyone who is truly head-coach material is their ability to relate well to others (donors, players, etc). I've never heard anything about Coach Woods that simply didn't glow about him as a person.

Fans like to overvalue the schematic acumen of coaches ... however, the ability to teach, motivate, and develop players is every bit as important. It's frankly been the driving force for Iowa's success over nearly the last 40 years.

I honestly don't know if LeVar is "ready" to be a head coach for a major program quite yet ... but I can definitely see him becoming an excellent head coach.
Holy moly! Quit with this insightful remarks! I may go into shock, lol. I love Woods. The guy is excellent at whatever he's done so far. He definitely has the charisma of a head coach.

I think we'll see this year that the QB issue was a combination of poor OL play and a QB who just couldn't make plays without everything being right around him. Unfortunately his primary backup was not an upgrade to the position and that led to what we saw the last two years.
Maybe true. My point was to a certain poster who always gives BF credit for TE success when he was coach. Have to take good with the bad. And QB play was awful do to multiple things. An inexperienced qb coach didn’t help the cause either.

• Haha
Maybe true. My point was to a certain poster who always gives BF credit for TE success when he was coach. Have to take good with the bad. And QB play was awful do to multiple things. An inexperienced qb coach didn’t help the cause either.
the key word being INEXPERIENCED QB COACH. GOING into the 22 season Brian only had 5 months coaching the QB's vs the multiple years that Brian had coaching OL and TE's, we shall see going into Brians 2nd season as the QB coach how much he improves. he improves the offense improves along with him.

this season could be like the 2015 season only this time with a different result to end the season.

the key word being INEXPERIENCED QB COACH. GOING into the 22 season Brian only had 5 months coaching the QB's vs the multiple years that Brian had coaching OL and TE's, we shall see going into Brians 2nd season as the QB coach how much he improves. he improves the offense improves along with him.

this season could be like the 2015 season only this time with a different result to end the season.
Hodge was an inexperienced TE coach but his unit seemed to do fine. Meanwhile iowa qb play was the worst it’s been since the Bob commings era in the 70s. Excuses are like aholes and funny how you always have one for fredo Ferentz.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Wow dude you're so far off track. The poster was saying Woods had no significant head coaching experience. I was saying neither did KF. And he's headed to the HOF.

• Haha
Kirk was still a HC before he became IA's HC that is something that Woods has not done. there is a lot more pressure on a HC than there is on a ST Coach.

while in the Pro's he was the Head OL coach, which meant the had to coach the OL but he had to coordinate the players that they wanted to draft. nor just their 1st choice but also the alternates if and when their top targets got drafted before they drafted them.

remember the NFL as the NFL has 7 rnds so he had to plan for all 7 rnds and any situation,

Woods was promoted to a full time coach at the beginning of 2012, this is year 12 of him being a position coach, vs Kirk being a position coach from 1980, from College and the Pro's plus a few years as a HC, now posters are clamoring to have a position coach to become a BT P5 HC who has yet to become dry behind the ears in the art of coaching,

this is in my opinion is based solely on Woods skin color and nothing else. skin color is involved in wanting Brian and KF removed. just so they can be replaced by black coaches.

its even a issue with Bluder and Fran get rid of them and bring in black coaches.

hell these posters won't be happy until both rosters are at least 90% black for both women and men.

Kirk was still a HC before he became IA's HC that is something that Woods has not done. there is a lot more pressure on a HC than there is on a ST Coach.

while in the Pro's he was the Head OL coach, which meant the had to coach the OL but he had to coordinate the players that they wanted to draft. nor just their 1st choice but also the alternates if and when their top targets got drafted before they drafted them.

remember the NFL as the NFL has 7 rnds so he had to plan for all 7 rnds and any situation,

Woods was promoted to a full time coach at the beginning of 2012, this is year 12 of him being a position coach, vs Kirk being a position coach from 1980, from College and the Pro's plus a few years as a HC, now posters are clamoring to have a position coach to become a BT P5 HC who has yet to become dry behind the ears in the art of coaching,

this is in my opinion is based solely on Woods skin color and nothing else. skin color is involved in wanting Brian and KF removed. just so they can be replaced by black coaches.

its even a issue with Bluder and Fran get rid of them and bring in black coaches

hell these posters won't be happy until both rosters are at least 90% black for both women and men.
Jane, you ignorant slut.

Among the intellectually challenged, there is a general sentiment that all opinions are made equal. Even from an epistemological perspective, opinions are simply a reflection of (usually individually held) belief. To be construed as some form of knowledge, the general premise being that our opinions are some form of justified true belief.

This is precisely why the strength of opinions are still reliant upon the strength of their justifications. Is there coherence among the data collected and/or observed that rationalizes said opinion.

As it relates to your stated premise ... many people want Kirk and Brian out because there has long been a very vocal minority of Iowa fans who have a strong case of Ferentz-fatigue ... particularly as it relates to his conservative decisions and the anemic nature of our play on offense. I'm not one of those fans ... but I can certainly carry an olive branch and attempt to understand them. During flare-ups of frustration ... I've had my moments where I've felt like I was done with the Ferentz dynasty.

However, I also remember folks turning on Hayden Fry at the end of his career too ... hearing young people (and some old) call for his head too.

As it might relate to Coach Woods ... people might just be willing to advocate for him as a future coach simply because they're very proud of how he's been representing their beloved program. It feels good when so many folks speak so highly of him ... it reflects well on the Hawks ... and, given the irrational mind of a sports-fan ... we also feel as though it reflects on us too.

not all AC make good HC's, case in point Mike Stoops was the DC for his brother. then he became a HC and that turned out to be a disaster.

there are other examples but that one involves name that most know. another reason I bring up that name is because had Bob been hired as IA coach, he would have brought brother Mike and brother Mark with him. now then how many of you would have bitched about nepotism back then?

not all AC make good HC's, case in point Mike Stoops was the DC for his brother. then he became a HC and that turned out to be a disaster.

there are other examples but that one involves name that most know. another reason I bring up that name is because had Bob been hired as IA coach, he would have brought brother Mike and brother Mark with him. now then how many of you would have bitched about nepotism back then?
Try to have some context for ONCE. IF Bob had brought all the other #41's with him, "the fans" would have been fine with it, if we won a lot, and there wasn't a glaring deficiency involving one of them. The only reason we hear so many nepotism claims involving BF is because of the struggles of the offense he's in charge of. When he was OL coach, we heard little of these issues from most of the fans. Now that he's the OC and we have been basically at the bottom of D1 football for two years, your going to see the pitchforks come out. Just the way it works. If we had a top 20 offense. 1) you'd hear very few complaints, 2) We'd be a top 10 team, maybe top 5..

Not all Stoops make good head coaches.....Bob had never been a HC......

Reactions: karnack1956
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT