ADVERTISEMENT

How About A Few QB Sneaks?

I wondered that myself. There were several moments when it would have been a good call.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
2nd and goal on the 2 yard line with a 250 lb quaterback. FFS, pound it home
The Office Thats GIF

QB sneaks worked for Iowa when opposing DC were too stupid to put 5 down lineman in the game or shift 4 DL and a LB on the line to match hat for hat with Iowa’s OL.

Iowa would just pick a DL in the base 4 down set to double team with a Linderbaum and a guard.

It took seemingly forever for opposing coaches to adjust to Iowa doing this because most football coaches are just really dumb and stubborn.

Once opposing coaches properly set their defensive alignment Iowa’s QB sneak play on third and 1 and fourth and 1 didnt work so well any more. Getting stuffed repeatedly by Purdue in critical situations if you recall.

Many many stupid DCs allowed Iowa/Stanley to pick up 2-3 yards when needed because they were dumb.

QB sneaks worked for Iowa when opposing DC were too stupid to put 5 down lineman in the game or shift 4 DL and a LB on the line to match hat for hat with Iowa’s OL.

Iowa would just pick a DL in the base 4 down set to double team with a Linderbaum and a guard.

It took seemingly forever for opposing coaches to adjust to Iowa doing this because most football coaches are just really dumb and stubborn.

Once opposing coaches properly set their defensive alignment Iowa’s QB sneak play on third and 1 and fourth and 1 didnt work so well any more. Getting stuffed repeatedly by Purdue in critical situations if you recall.

Many many stupid DCs allowed Iowa/Stanley to pick up 2-3 yards when needed because they were dumb.

Did they get smarter since then? We should test it with some sneaks. He did have a four yard sneak against MSU I think? It isn't a great argument to completely abandon it with some of the red zone performances last game.

Picking up 0 yards on a sneak out performs some of the calls.

Did they get smarter since then? We should test it with some sneaks. He did have a four yard sneak against MSU I think? It isn't a great argument to completely abandon it with some of the red zone performances last game.

Picking up 0 yards on a sneak out performs some of the calls.

Depends on the defensive coaching staff we are talking about.

If you see a defense line up 4 DL against our 5 DL with our QB under center on a 3rd and 1. You know they are dumbasses.

I would not abandon the sneak altogether. I would line up and have Hill assess. If they give you 4 DL vs 5 OL, I would have him run it. If the D lines up 5 on 5 I would have him run the non-sneak play call.

This isn’t hard.

That was 4 years ago. Half the coaches we're playing weren't even around then.

That was 4 years ago. Half the coaches we're playing weren't even around then.

I’m not saying we shouldnt run QB sneaks. I’m simply pointing out there are smart times to run them and dumb times to run them. If they line up hat for hat on the DL with our OL probably go with plan B. Depends on the situation.

Iowa was running successful QB sneaks with Stanley like clockwork because defensive staffs would routinely line up in base 4 DL alignment and Iowa would take advantage. If opposing DC don’t adjust in those situations and line up hat for hat in those spots I think they are dumb.

If you have a 2 vs 1 OL to DL advantage take it.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
I’m not saying we shouldnt run QB sneaks. I’m simply pointing out there are smart times to run them and dumb times to run them. If they line up hat for hat on the DL with our OL probably go with plan B. Depends on the situation.

Iowa was running successful QB sneaks with Stanley like clockwork because defensive staffs would routinely line up in base 4 DL alignment and Iowa would take advantage. If opposing DC don’t adjust in those situations and line up hat for hat in those spots I think they are dumb.

If you have a 2 vs 1 OL to DL advantage take it.
You're making it too simple. 5 on 5 linemen wins every time when you have a 250 lb QB with RB pushing if their linebackers are playing 4 yards back.

But the point is moot unless you line up under center with a sneak option always available in short yardage situations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT