ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa portal QB

nosok23

Scout Team
Aug 15, 2023
Lester has to really explore the idea of getting another QB that fits what he wants to do this spring portal season at least add depth and have healthy competition. It's a no brainer right... That room does not impress at all right now!

Guess we need to tell Proctor "sorry." Too bad. We really could have used him...

But they didn’t and are further handcuffed by schollies. You make room for a 5-star OT who started as a freshman for one of the 4 best teams in the land.

Now you don’t reach for QB depth unless you are taking a likely starter and we know they can’t do that because you guys say all the time, no one wants to play offense at Iowa. 🤷‍♂️

Seems pretty straightforward….

• Haha
Reactions: Hendy hawk
Lainez needs to get 100% of the snaps during spring ball with the goal he is the starter this fall unless McNamara is ready to go. If not, Lainez, Resnar, Hill, and McNamara in the qb room with the qb’s that can run/scramble as the 1 and 2.

Ok….

You have any hit stock tips? Got an in on cheap Real Estate? Any sort of meaningful life advise or bits of wisdom you can share?

Reactions: RothMatt
i am hopeful that Lester is better at identifying and evaluating QBs than previous staffs. KOK wasn’t the worst but glad to have fresh eyes on the offense.

Of course Kirk seems to own the position group and may not matter.

Must be
6’5
240lbs
Inaccurate is fine as long as no chance of INT

Ummm...the 85 man limit doesn't exist anymore with NIL

This is not about pay for play and high school recruits...

It's not even just the portal...though that is a big part...

Portal kids are being taken in and the collectives are paying the tuition so they don't count on schollie numbers....kids who technically graduate and started off on schollie are often getting tuition paid by NIL...

Don't bring up the B10 rule of a 4 year guaranteed schollie...it's misunderstood...it's a guarantee of UP TO 4 YEARS (assuming staying eligible) THROUGH GRADUATION

Often FB players today are graduating by the end of their 3rd year. Players go to school full year round. If you are an early entry you are likely technically a sophomore before even running out of the tunnel for the first time...add in an AP class or two...graduation at the end of the third year is more than possible

That's when NIL takes over...they are grad students and technically walk on if you want them to be...meaning the collective pays the tuition and they don't count towards the 85

This has become common practice

Last edited:
No schollies for any portal lads
Not buying that it is a scholarship issue. Many schools are using NIL instead of scholarships to get players. Nebraska is over signed by at least 10 players but are looking to get 2 more 2024 recruits today. Like other schools they are using NIL for scholarships. Some schools are positioned better than the Hawks with NIL monies.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Nick DeJong's scholarship is one that should be taken to improve the team, because he certainly isn't doing much.
DeJong has played in 37 games with 24 starts. He has not been the best OL in Iowa history, and has played poorly at times like everyone else on the OL the past few years, but "certainly isn't doing much" is quite a slap to the face to a good Hawkeye who has been forced into duty, much of it out of his normal position, because of injuries.

Don't know why everyone is so anxious to get rid of who really amounts to a solid, backup B1G OG with a ton of experience for an unknown....

Lol, you need a hug. Your inability to see his lack of production is not my problem.
Third-team All-Big Ten by league coaches and honorable mention All-Big Ten by league media. I guess those dolts don't know what they're talking about. Good thing we have message board genius to set us straight.

Lol, you need a hug. Your inability to see his lack of production is not my problem.
Do I think he's been the best OL? No. But I've played against guys like him. Spent 5 years at a D1 school and started two of them. Defensive lineman.

I have a great deal of respect for these dudes. Unless you've been there you have no idea the sacrifice that goes into it. So sit back in your recliner and shut the f up.

To the OP, I don't think he needs to. He only needs to elevate ML over DH and we should be just fine.

Get CM healthy and he is the clear #1.
Get ML reps and a full spring/fall to be the #2
You know what you have in DH. Plus you add in Resar with this class as a Frosh and Sullivan coming next year.

I just don't see the need to bring anyone in unless you really don't think Lainez has any upside. Could use that spot elsewhere imo.

Ok….

You have any hit stock tips? Got an in on cheap Real Estate? Any sort of meaningful life advise or bits of wisdom you can share?
One thing about Marco getting 100% of the spring drill snaps is it tells Deacon you are not the QB2.

It also shows if Marco is a capable passer and QB because a lot of people are writing him of for is short stint in the bowl game while being totally pressured by Tenn.

I looked at Marco's high school video and he seemed to throw the ball really well so I cant believe he was a SHIT passer and still recruited.

One thing about Marco getting 100% of the spring drill snaps is it tells Deacon you are not the QB2.

It also shows if Marco is a capable passer and QB because a lot of people are writing him of for is short stint in the bowl game while being totally pressured by Tenn.

I looked at Marco's high school video and he seemed to throw the ball really well so I cant believe he was a SHIT passer and still recruited.
beating the drum, it's been stated probably 100 times, but he had ~80% completion rate as a senior.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
DeJong has played in 37 games with 24 starts. He has not been the best OL in Iowa history, and has played poorly at times like everyone else on the OL the past few years, but "certainly isn't doing much" is quite a slap to the face to a good Hawkeye who has been forced into duty, much of it out of his normal position, because of injuries.

Don't know why everyone is so anxious to get rid of who really amounts to a solid, backup B1G OG with a ton of experience for an unknown....

Third-team All-Big Ten by league coaches and honorable mention All-Big Ten by league media. I guess those dolts don't know what they're talking about. Good thing we have message board genius to set us straight.
His blocking grades don't support the vitriol over his criticisms, but you do you. I won't cast aspersions as to your football awareness, but most people who have taken a particular interest in OL play, as I have, could see he was one of, if not the worst offensive lineman on a bad OL.

Do I think he's been the best OL? No. But I've played against guys like him. Spent 5 years at a D1 school and started two of them. Defensive lineman.

I have a great deal of respect for these dudes. Unless you've been there you have no idea the sacrifice that goes into it. So sit back in your recliner and shut the f up.
I respect your position. You've seen a more intimate side of the game than most at that level, so you're emotionally involved. Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent non-D1 athletes from having the gift of sight and perhaps a less slanted view of poor performances. Nick has no doubt worked hard and may be a good guy, but that doesn't make him worthy of a scholarship, especially after showing he isn't particularly talented at the position he's playing.

His blocking grades don't support the vitriol over his criticisms, but you do you. I won't cast aspersions as to your football awareness, but most people who have taken a particular interest in OL play, as I have, could see he was one of, if not the worst offensive lineman on a bad OL.
I am. I'm looking at facts, and taking more stock in the Iowa coaches and the collective opinion of B1G coaches & football media over message board dude. I think we agree that he hasn't been a super great OL. I think where we disagree is how much value he can have on the team in '24, which would really benefit from having an experienced OL who has had some struggles but also some accolades while being forced into duty, as a backup OG.

I am. I'm looking at facts, and taking more stock in the Iowa coaches and the collective opinion of B1G coaches & football media over message board dude. I think we agree that he hasn't been a super great OL. I think where we disagree is how much value he can have on the team in '24, which would really benefit from having an experienced OL who has had some struggles but also some accolades while being forced into duty, as a backup OG.
Again, his blocking grades don't support his being named to an all-B1G squad. No, I think you see him as more valuable than I do. The message I replied to was one saying there are no available scholarships for NIL players. My point was, I'd rather take a chance on a player from the NIL who has shown they can contribute at a higher level than Nick has contributed. Nothing against the guy personally, but as you understated, he hasn't been a super great OL.

I respect your position. You've seen a more intimate side of the game than most at that level, so you're emotionally involved. Unfortunately, that doesn't prevent non-D1 athletes from having the gift of sight and perhaps a less slanted view of poor performances. Nick has no doubt worked hard and may be a good guy, but that doesn't make him worthy of a scholarship, especially after showing he isn't particularly talented at the position he's playing.
I think what people keep missing, especially on the oline and offensive side of the ball in general, is the lack of overall talent. That's a failure of the staff and assuming there are better options to replace them is probably inaccurate. There is a reason that Iowa had to go to the portal for QB's, wide receivers, and a left tackle. It's because they've failed miserably at recruiting and developing those positions. Don't get frustrated with the players who remain and are willing to give their all. Get frustrated with the staff because these players are the best they could do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT