ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa portal QB

Having a feel for when to run and avoiding the hits goes along with having a feel for the pocket...knowing when it's moving or collapsing. Some guys are just good at it. They have a feel for the game. CJ, Banks and Drew Tate had it...Stanzi at times. Hill is about as bad as it gets. One has to wonder how much that "just don't make a mistake" in the back of their head inhibits the instincts of some Iowa QBs.
Agree. I think what weighs on KF's mind is, not wanting the QB to take hits and that he doesn't want them getting nervous to quickly. (or fumbling if they do take off) The getting nervous to quickly is often what you see in young mobile inexperienced QB's. They get flighty at times. BUT, like you said that takes a feel for the game. If you have a all american defensive end lined up across from you and keeps blowing past your OL, you have to be able to adjust your clock a little. Where as the next game you might have all day back there. Personally I think having a QB that is a little flighty (not overly) is better then one that has no idea when to step up, or scramble. Seems like it would be easier for a person to slow the game down then to speed it up. But yeah, watching us play, you can see the opportunities, maybe not every single game, but often enough, for the QB to grab an easy 5 and not get hit. (if he has any sort of burst speed or moves at all). If nothing else it has to keep the defense a little more honest if that thought is in their head.

Reactions: SI_NYC
We’re into Spring ball now and the staff let the elephant out of the room by saying they may need to look into the portal for a QB during the next window… Would have been nice to get one during first portal signing so that the kid could get some reps in this Spring since that’s so vital for development right…

We’re into Spring ball now and the staff let the elephant out of the room by saying they may need to look into the portal for a QB during the next window… Would have been nice to get one during first portal signing so that the kid could get some reps in this Spring since that’s so vital for development right…
Was this a public statement, or are you sharing insider info?

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
I read that yesterday on another site. I don't pay for information. You can glean bits and pieces from a collection of sites. Plus I get some information from locals in Iowa City I trust.

I don't think Lester feels great about his two backup QB's. Rolling the dice with McNamara staying healthy.

FIFY 😉

Objectively I can see the appeal of Decons arm and durability, but you would need a moat filled with crocodiles around him to give him the necessary time to throw and not get strip sacked. Given our poor o line play it is hard to understand as he is about the worst possible combination you could imagine.

Objectively I can see the appeal of Decons arm and durability, but you would need a moat filled with crocodiles around him to give him the necessary time to throw and not get strip sacked. Given our poor o line play it is hard to understand as he is about the worst possible combination you could imagine.
He’s not accurate nore does he read defenses well

I am not sure there is a condition perfect enough for Hill to succeed.
I still can’t believe that this inept staff has Hill still on the team! It’s embarrassing and it really grinds my gears! I know that I’m beating a dead horse but come on football isn’t your thing Dec. Do the right thing like Petras did and try coaching or just be a student!

I still can’t believe that this inept staff has Hill still on the team! It’s embarrassing and it really grinds my gears! I know that I’m beating a dead horse but come on football isn’t your thing Dec. Do the right thing like Petras did and try coaching or just be a student!
Petras would have been playing for Iowa rather than coaching last year if he hadn't been injured. Pretty good chance he would have been better than Hill, too. Or that Hill wouldn't even have come here in the first place.

Reactions: nosok23
The same could be said regarding Petras (expect turnovers). great arm, couldn't run, never had time to throw. Hmmm.... common denominator is the O F'ing Line. Hard to evaluate QB passing when the line can't give 0.75 seconds to throw on Iowa's slow developing route running schemes. And if the O-Line can't pass protect, what's the defense do? Load the block against the run. Now you can't pass & you can't run.

The game is won in the trenches. Iowa didn't have a trench, they had a leaky weak line.

You don’t think delaying the decision could have cost us a portal QB?
No kidding. LOL at all the KF apologists who were clueless about why it was important to have an OC in place before the 1st portal window closed. We'll never know if it might have resulted in an impactful QB or other transfer, but it would have been nice to have some chance instead of zero chance....

No kidding. LOL at all the KF apologists who were clueless about why it was important to have an OC in place before the 1st portal window closed. We'll never know if it might have resulted in an impactful QB or other transfer, but it would have been nice to have some chance instead of zero chance....

That’s offense🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: MeetTheFerentzes
Lincoln Kienholz from osu. Played HS in SD. would be worth a look. Our best bet is a 3rd stringer from top team with couple studs ahead of him.
Kid was a very good AA QB (not the largest class) in South Dakota. Worth a look but BIG DBs are just a bit better than Yankton DBs.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Kid was a very good AA QB (not the largest class) in South Dakota. Worth a look but BIG DBs are just a bit better than Yankton DBs.
Impressing at spring for OSU, I can bet money Hill would not. We don’t have the option on getting someone’s starter. OSU 3rd or 4th string would likely push a healthy Cade… about as good as we can ask for at this point…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT