ADVERTISEMENT

After replay-Stevens' kicks; 2x Off rushing yardage; defense corraling Chubba and runners

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
I watched the BTN replay in 60 and a huge shoutout to the defense for containing and forcing Chubba Purdy into mostly short gains and losses. It looked like there were not a whole lot of stunts and twists but good pressure without it and forcing many throws into the turf. Chubba did make some big 3rd down completions, probably the most by Parker's unit this season except for PSU. It was fun to watch Purdy's parents see their boys lose a 4th or 5th game to the hawks. The hawk front 7 especially looked great against the run as they gave up nothing big in the run game, multiple tackles for loss, and they were VERY physical.

Stevens' first kick that was nullified by delay of game was perfect with high ascent angle and straight thru and after watching the 2nd kick he did kick it lower and maybe a bit to the right. His made FG was high enough.

And his third FG was high enough but NEbby players got good penetration and hands about 10 or a little more feet in the air. The hawks need to look at giving the kick blockers not only too much penetration up field but also the ability to jump without getting blocked in their chest which makes it harder to jump.

And Nebby a top #3 rushing defense was doubled up on by the hawks. Iowa had a number of 6-7 yard runs, two good gaining jet sweeps by KalebB, and the two big bursts by LeshonW who is showing such quick footwork to juke tacklers.

Hill struggled with touch and accuracy but if the passing game can get back to 50+% then they might be able to move the ball in the BCGame. I was not that impressed with with Mich's secondary if they are the opponent.

D played excellent on 1st and 2nd downs. 3rd downs wanted to make me pull my hair out. The first half of the game Purdy was uncomfortable. That deep TD gave him a lot of confidence.

That wasn't totally on Lee. He had no help over the top.
No it wasnt and I posted earlier that both safeties were in Lbkr territory showing blitz so there were no safeties back. I thought that was odd especially when they didnt blitz.

I assume we wont blitz or fake blitz both safeties anymore.

Castro almost made up a bunch of ground to trip up that receiver on the long TD

We blitzed a lot on 3rd downs and long yardage. Mostly unsuccessfully. Maybe entirely unsuccessfully. Consequently a lot of Nebraska’s passes were successful in long yardage downs.

That wasn't totally on Lee. He had no help over the top.
That was a very surprising call by Phil. 10-0, Nebby had like 40 yards of offense and couldn’t even get a first down. Our basic zone defense had them flustered so not sure why we gave them that look, especially with Lee being so inexperienced. And credit to Nebby for actually hitting the play but it certainly changed the momentum and from there it was game on.

That was a very surprising call by Phil. 10-0, Nebby had like 40 yards of offense and couldn’t even get a first down. Our basic zone defense had them flustered so not sure why we gave them that look, especially with Lee being so inexperienced. And credit to Nebby for actually hitting the play but it certainly changed the momentum and from there it was game on.
I'm not sure how that play was supposed to unfold. The safeties showed blitz and then backed off before the snap to play underneath coverage. It's possible that they failed to drop far enough on the snap giving advantage to the receiver who had inside leverage on the play.

I'm not sure how that play was supposed to unfold. The safeties showed blitz and then backed off before the snap to play underneath coverage. It's possible that they failed to drop far enough on the snap giving advantage to the receiver who had inside leverage on the play.
Nebraska took the same play from the previous coaching staff and used it against us two seasons in a row. It was the exact same play they hit Palmer for a long TD last year.

Unless one of the safeties got way too shallow on a fake blitz look, Lee should have know it was cover 0. Giving up inside leverage there was inexcusable.
Yeah I noticed on the replay that DLee was not just backpedaling but really got turned on a first head and shoulder fake. I am sure he was expecting a route and throw just past the sticks

No it wasnt and I posted earlier that both safeties were in Lbkr territory showing blitz so there were no safeties back. I thought that was odd especially when they didnt blitz.

I assume we wont blitz or fake blitz both safeties anymore.

Castro almost made up a bunch of ground to trip up that receiver on the long TD
Agreed.....very strange having both safeties move up late, but then neither blitzes. Better to keep one in deep middle & the other either blitz or move back late to cover where needed. Especially with Coop out, our corners shouldn't be left without any help overtop.

Reactions: uihawk82
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT