ADVERTISEMENT

How bad will ISWho Clowns be next season?

I’ll try to be objective 😂. Losing Brockington the only consistent scorer off a team that even with him struggled to score hurts. The other losses up to this point probably will have little impact. Conditt gave effort and loved being at ISU but wasn’t that great. I think Tre Jackson and Jayden Walker probably transferred cause they didn’t see much playing time for them next year. Tyrese Hunter was good as a freshman point guard. Makes pretty good decisions and gets to the rim often but struggled to finish. If he can develop a jump shot and finish at the rim he will be very good. Kaleshure and Grill are both streak shooters, kaleshure especially when he was he was really on from 3 but good lord when he was off he would sometimes miss by 2 feet. Develop a decent mid-range game later in the season. Both are good defenders, Kaleshure (sp?) very good. Kunc a decent role player, Enaruna could develop seems to have potential. Have a transfer forward that they predict to be good named King I think. Three decent freshman but hard to count on them, maybe one of them will give good minutes. Really hard to say at this point, will be solid defensively I think but really need to find a decent big and a scorer in the portal. TJ has shown ability to find some pieces in the portal last year. Probably fairly similar to Iowa, some good pieces coming back but probably gonna need some help from the portal.
Thanks for your detailed response.

I agree. There isn't a big difference in satisfaction level with finishing 3rd outright or in 3-4 way tie for 3rd, or 5th, or 6th in terms of satisfaction with B1G race....Iowa has been around there most of the time with Fran over past 6 years...upper half of B1G, but ellminated from Title contention by about half way mark of conference run.

I think Fran's reluctance/inablitiy to over-recruit exisiting roster players to upgrade posiitions and fill holes has limited the upside. The other issue is systematic---the Iowa program relies on Iowa kids/legacies, and those type of B-ball players are not meant to run a fast pace system and be successful at NCAA tourney level.

The only two years that I think were really outliers in excititement in Iowa B-ball were the 80 teams that finished 5th in B1G and got to Final-4 and the 87 team that finished 3rd in B1G but got to Elite8.

There is no doubt this year's group and Fran laid a turd in NCAA tourney.
You’re a turd

Delete this thread please: this has nothing to do with Iowa basketball.
Well, the cyclone site talks incessantly about Iowa basketball and football. Since I don’t post over there (just lurk occasionally) thought I would see if any intelligent isu fans could provide their take on future of isu hoops. I only care about one isu game each year...whereby Iowa hopefully gets back to consistently beating that program.

It probably depends if Brockington decides to return next year (perhaps he has already made that decision?). Without him, they have Hunter at point guard and ???? Is that former MN transfer...Gabe Kauscher (spelling?) returning? He was a very streaky shooter at Minny, so don’t think he would be that big of a loss for the clowns. Likewise, that Grill player (don’t recall his first name?) may be back too, but he’s nothing special. Otherwise, I believe they lost many of their players to portal or graduation. I suppose a lot will depend on how successful TJ Otz...is again in the portal? It would kind of suck to always need to rebuild your team every year via the portal, rather than just use it to supplement for specific needs.
Hey Hans, 1998 is calling, and wants its coaching style back. Lol.

Ask Calipari what it's like to rebuild every year. Or coach K for that matter. Moving forward, college hoops is going to be about rebuilding EVERY year. Being successful EVERY year. It's not about adding pieces year after year and building to a crescendo, then sucking for the next 3 years.

No thanks.

Hey Hans, 1998 is calling, and wants its coaching style back. Lol.

Ask Calipari what it's like to rebuild every year. Or coach K for that matter. Moving forward, college hoops is going to be about rebuilding EVERY year. Being successful EVERY year. It's not about adding pieces year after year and building to a crescendo, then sucking for the next 3 years.

No thanks.
You may be right. It’s just too bad/sad that teams/players don’t stick together several years to develop into something special. Who said anything about “sucking every three years”? If a program gets continued decent high school recruits & develops them, then hopefully should remain consistently good. Your two examples of Calipari and Coach K are of blue blood type programs that can have better long-term success at hitting the portal/getting transfers every year vs average programs.

Last edited:
You may be right. It’s just too bad/sad that teams/players don’t stick together several years to develop into something special. Who said anything about “sucking every three years”? If a program gets continued decent high school recruits & develops them, then hopefully should remain consistently good. Your two examples of Calipari and Coach K are of blue blood type programs that can have better long-term success at hitting the portal/getting transfers every year vs average programs.
I think one aspect of TJ's recruiting that hasn't been given enough attention -- although I realize the Hawkeye board may not be the most likely place for this to occur -- is that the transfers on which he built the team were about as far from blue bloods as you can get.

Fred brought in some serious studs. Royce White, DeAndre Kane, others. The top guy TJ collected was Brockington, who really hadn't done much at his two previous stops and wasn't a highly regarded prospect out of high school.

I think one aspect of TJ's recruiting that hasn't been given enough attention -- although I realize the Hawkeye board may not be the most likely place for this to occur -- is that the transfers on which he built the team were about as far from blue bloods as you can get.

Fred brought in some serious studs. Royce White, DeAndre Kane, others. The top guy TJ collected was Brockington, who really hadn't done much at his two previous stops and wasn't a highly regarded prospect out of high school.
'The sum of the parts' approach. Far easier to attract at that level and if they buy in to their role you get a sweet 16.

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy

I agree & my response would be if a non-blue blood program consistently goes after such portal players, I don’t believe their success level would be any greater than a program that utilizes the more traditional high school/developmental approach. I also think it would just be less stressful on a coaching staff to hit on the right players every year, along with keeping good team chemistry. Oh well, guess that’s why I’m not a D-1 coach. 😉

Reactions: FormerlyCyberCy
I agree & my response would be if a non-blue blood program consistently goes after such portal players, I don’t believe their success level would be any greater than a program that utilizes the more traditional high school/developmental approach. I also think it would just be less stressful on a coaching staff to hit on the right players every year, along with keeping good team chemistry. Oh well, guess that’s why I’m not a D-1 coach. 😉
I don't disagree with you (and I also am not a D-1 coach). But "traditional' recruiting strategies have developed a huge hole because of the changes. Look at Steve Prohm for a good example. He recruited a number of really good high school players, and almost immediately lost them to the NBA. Had they not gone pro, there's a good chance they would have been poached by a blue-blood. That isn't a knock on Prohm; I suspect that if Niang and Morris had come to Ames a couple of years after they did, they would not have been four-year players, either.

Closer to home, look at Murray, and for that matter, Weiscamp.

It used to be that a coach who was able to spot a diamond in the rough could do well because he would "steal" a recruit who was good enough too play for one of the blue bloods, and once he got him, the kid was pretty much sure to stay four years, if he stayed out of jail, went to class and didn't grow to hate the coach or the town. It ain't that way any more, and that makes the job much tougher for the Iowas and Iowa States of the world.

Reactions: bozotheclown
It probably depends if Brockington decides to return next year (perhaps he has already made that decision?). Without him, they have Hunter at point guard and ???? Is that former MN transfer...Gabe Kauscher (spelling?) returning? He was a very streaky shooter at Minny, so don’t think he would be that big of a loss for the clowns. Likewise, that Grill player (don’t recall his first name?) may be back too, but he’s nothing special. Otherwise, I believe they lost many of their players to portal or graduation. I suppose a lot will depend on how successful TJ Otz...is again in the portal? It would kind of suck to always need to rebuild your team every year via the portal, rather than just use it to supplement for specific needs.
Ah, the old "doing it the right way" argument. Heard this a million times from hawks. How's that working for you? Think Fran will EVER make the sweet 16? Can't believe you guys keep him, 20+ years and still no sweet 16.

Ah, the old "doing it the right way" argument. Heard this a million times from hawks. How's that working for you? Think Fran will EVER make the sweet 16? Can't believe you guys keep him, 20+ years and still no sweet 16.
Don’t know the answer to your question, but I certainly hope so. However, the point of my starting this thread wasn’t to talk about the Hawkeyes (there are plenty of other threads to do so) it was to get thoughts on future of isu under TJ?

Ah, TJ was Fred's recruiter. Otzelberger has been widely regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation. His efforts have helped secure the services of Cyclone greats Mike Taylor, Craig Brackins, Diante Garrett, Scott Christopherson, Chris Babb, Chris Allen, Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Naz Long, and Matt Thomas, among others. So I expect the talent will be fantastic after TJ has some time to build the team.

Ah, TJ was Fred's recruiter. Otzelberger has been widely regarded as one of the top recruiters in the nation. His efforts have helped secure the services of Cyclone greats Mike Taylor, Craig Brackins, Diante Garrett, Scott Christopherson, Chris Babb, Chris Allen, Will Clyburn, Korie Lucious, Melvin Ejim, Georges Niang, Naz Long, and Matt Thomas, among others. So I expect the talent will be fantastic after TJ has some time to build the team.
It will be interesting to watch. Do you think he will stay long term if he is successful?

It will be interesting to watch. Do you think he will stay long term if he is successful?
People seem to think so, wife is an ex-cyclone WBB player, was an assistant coach at ISU for a long time, from the midwest (Wisconsin) and seems to be all about ISU, but you never know if and when a bigger name and bigger money comes along. But at this point I think he needs to show a lot more before we need to worry about that. Yes he had a great turn-around year but he'd probably need sustained success for several years before a interest develops at a top tier program.

Can the clowns continue to win games by scoring 51 points?

So “exciting”.

People seem to think so, wife is an ex-cyclone WBB player, was an assistant coach at ISU for a long time, from the midwest (Wisconsin) and seems to be all about ISU, but you never know if and when a bigger name and bigger money comes along. But at this point I think he needs to show a lot more before we need to worry about that. Yes he had a great turn-around year but he'd probably need sustained success for several years before a interest develops at a top tier program.
The thing about isu for both football and MBB is they tend to return to their norm. Rhoads, Sanderson, Prohm and Hoiberg all found out that in the end isu is still isu and they either left or were fired.

The Cyclowns lose Tre Jackson, George Conditt, and Jaden Walker to the portal. The only one of the three to play significant minutes throughout the season was Conditt. Gabe K. has not declared his intentions. The Clowns have some nice freshman coming in next season and they get a second season of Kunc. The addition of Williams the Temple transfer and King the Georgetown transfer means the Clowns are reloading. The information is out there and pretty easy to find.

Last edited:
The Cyclowns lose Tre Jackson, George Conditt, and Jaden Walker to the portal. The only one of the three to play significant minutes throughout the season was Conditt. Gabe K. has not declared his intentions. The Clowns have some nice freshman coming in next season and they get a second season of Kunc. The addition of Williams the Temple transfer and King the Georgetown transfer means the Clowns are reloading. The information is out there and pretty easy to find.
Thanks...I was too lazy to look it up:) Hopefully the collection of “talent” they are amassing doesn’t mesh & they continue to have trouble scoring.

Reactions: K OKeefe
I honestly haven’t heard of about half of those Cyclone “greats”.

Thanks...I was too lazy to look it up:) Hopefully the collection of “talent” they are amassing doesn’t mesh & they continue to have trouble scoring.
Funny how defense only counts in college basketball. When a team excels on defense in football clown fans call it “boring”.

Scoring 36 points in a college basketball game is super “exciting” because clown fans say so.

• Haha
Reactions: 515Clone
I honestly haven’t heard of about half of those Cyclone “greats”.
"Greats" would apply, IMO, to Ejim, Niang and almost to Long and Thomas. I wouldn't apply it to any of the others, but most could have played for pretty much anybody.

Funny how defense only counts in college basketball. When a team excels on defense in football clown fans call it “boring”.

Scoring 36 points in a college basketball game is super “exciting” because clown fans say so.
Playing in the Sweet 16 was pretty exciting.

Reactions: flynnhicks03
Bug Ten! Ha!
What is really funny is the Hawks being ranked higher than the clowns today by the Coaches in the final poll.

CyTwit and clown fans on cryclown fanatic always said the final poll is what counts, so I guess that Hawks are better.

Maybe next year stender.

• Haha
Both teams had good years. I will remember 2 wins in the NCAAs + another Sweet 16 more than a subjective ranking. I'm guessing Hawk fans would trade a win vs. Richmond + Providence with a chance to beat KU, over whatever ranking Iowa ended up with (I haven't seen it). Frankly, when u have a end-of-the year tournament, do rankings matter?

Both teams had good years. I will remember 2 wins in the NCAAs + another Sweet 16 more than a subjective ranking. I'm guessing Hawk fans would trade a win vs. Richmond + Providence with a chance to beat KU, over whatever ranking Iowa ended up with (I haven't seen it). Frankly, when u have a end-of-the year tournament, do rankings matter?
Wrong sport but that is a pretty solid goal post movement

Stender, this isn’t my rule it is CyTwit’s and clown fans on cryclown fanatic. My guess is the coaches saw through isu’s wins in the tourney.

But I understand how we now must ignore it. Do you really want to disavow a long held clown fan belief? Don’t let it out or your fan card might be pulled.

Moving the goalposts when they don’t fit a clown fan delusion is just how clown fans roll.

Maybe next year Stender. What we know with 100% certainty is that you and other clown fans will be back desperately seeking our approval.

Last edited:
  • Love
Man clown fans sure are up in arms over the Hawks being ranked ahead of them.

Stender be sure to take it upon yourself to keep all sharp objects or other weapons away from CyTwit and his minions. We don’t want anyone getting hurt.

Maybe flynnhicks03 can share with us all how it really is?

This way instead of assuming he is a typical clown fan dolt by only posting emoji’s, his actual words can erase all doubt.

You can do it. You can do it. You can do it.

• Love
Maybe flynnhicks03 can share with us all how it really is?

This way instead of assuming he is a typical clown fan dolt by only posting emoji’s, his actual words can erase all doubt.

You can do it. You can do it. You can do it.
Share with you how "what" really is? We had a fun year. No expectations with a first year coach and made the Sweet 16. It was frustrating at times, and we need to improve on offense moving forward, but I think we're in good hands. What else do you want to know?

Also, where are you seeing all these Clones fans "up in arms"?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT